Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2004, 04:56 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Poppy759
Hemp seed flour?

Has anybody used hemp seed flour for baking???

7g of carbs
6g of fiber
NET carbs 1g
5g of protein
for 1/8 of a cup

How does this sound in comparision to other flour substitutes being used???
Poppy759 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2004, 05:26 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
I haven't been to a single site that has the same nutritional info -so that makes me wonder...

Contains: hempseed flour, no preservative
Per 35g (1/4 cup) serving
Energy 135/560 cal/kg
Protein 14.3g
Total Fat 3.6g
Polyunsaturates* 2.9g
Monoinsatures 0.4g
Saturates 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Carbohydrates 11.0g
Total Sugars 1.3g
Dietary Fibre 6.4g
Iron 17mg
Sodium 4mg
Calcium 66mg

Another has:
(100g serving, so about 3/4 cup)
385 kCal
33g protein
7g fat
44g carbs
7g fiber
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 05:32 PM   #3
Joa
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Joa
Poppy: I use hemp flour - I don't hink all hemp flours are created equal tho - I am not sure on the carb count but I use it sometimes to make bread(along with wheat gluten, oat flour and flax seeds ground up) On the pkg I had last time it was 12 carbs after fibre was deducted for a cup. Good luck - like I said each company has a different carb count - don't know exactly what that means
Joa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 07:52 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Poppy759
Dottie the numbers I posted are from Manitoba Harvest...I expect JOA is right and like many things, different brands have different counts....although it is an all natural product, how different can it be? I did a search on this board and it is only mentioned twice, so I guess it is not a popular variation.

I think I will give it a try!

Any other experiences/ baking adventures with Hemp Seed Flour by anyone???
Poppy759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 08:06 PM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: argo2d
it had a strange taste when i used just a little for baking!
argo2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:36 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helper
May be a dumb question but:

Are hemp seeds and "pot" seeds the same thing?
helper
helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 03:36 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jen111
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2000
Hemp Seed Flour is quite widely available in Canada. It has negligible traces of "pot".

Yes, it's low in carbs, however, it is khaki green in color and does not impart the greatest taste to baked goods. You can get away with using perhaps a 1/4 cup (50 mL) in a bread machine recipe, for instance, but any more than that and you'll probably get that weird taste - and worse yet, maybe a green color!!!

They're trying to make all sorts of things with hemp seed flour I notice - even chips!!!
Jen111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:51 PM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jen111
Hemp Seed Flour is quite widely available in Canada. It has negligible traces of "pot".

Yes, it's low in carbs, however, it is khaki green in color and does not impart the greatest taste to baked goods. You can get away with using perhaps a 1/4 cup (50 mL) in a bread machine recipe, for instance, but any more than that and you'll probably get that weird taste - and worse yet, maybe a green color!!!

They're trying to make all sorts of things with hemp seed flour I notice - even chips!!!

actually the brand i found is 0 carbs but it still tastes funny
Old 01-14-2004, 08:31 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

0 g carbs for hempseed flour? - sounds fishy to me! Yes, on it's own it does taste strong, but mixed in with other ingredients in a bread, it wouldn't be too bad actually.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:05 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: a380_54
Stats: 169/163/149
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: May 3,2003
2 questions: Do you get a "buzz" from eating this stuff, and second is it legal in the states?

Just curious. Oh and one more thing, where do you buy it from??
a380_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 07:17 PM   #11
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
0 g carbs for hempseed flour? - sounds fishy to me! Yes, on it's own it does taste strong, but mixed in with other ingredients in a bread, it wouldn't be too bad actually.
nope nothing fishy about it... cept the taste

the label checks out and everything
if you want i'll send you the link
Old 01-16-2004, 07:28 AM   #12
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
Purchased Hemp flour, 11/02

I purchased hemp flour and tried to use it to make some cookies Xmas 2002. All I can say is BLEEEK!!
It did bake up pretty close to regular flour. I used 200 g hemp flour, 200 g spelt flour to replace 4 c reg flour. But they were a god-awful color, and the taste was not good. So, this sits on the shelf in my pantry. But, as Jen stated, bet it would work, small amount in bread. Will try that next time I get the guts to try bread again. Bet it would work, small amount in waffles or pancakes too. Just not in cookies or cakes.
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:54 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sheryl5
Hemp seed???? Am I the only one to remember Alice B. Toklas (sp?) brownies from the 70's? Not that I ever had any, but I went to school with plenty of hippies who probably had the recipe!
Sheryl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 12:15 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

LOL Sheryl!!!

Argo, I should really have clarified my remark. I do believe you, but I wonder about the company that says it is 0 g carbs. I just don't buy that. It is a flour, but maybe they have a way of making it particularly high fiber (even more so than it usually is) - and then it comes out to 0 g carbs. I wouldn't trust that though, personally.

It reminds me of McNeil Specialty Products Co. in the States - they claim Splenda is a 0 calorie sweetener - when in actual fact that is not true - it is low-calorie, but not zero. They get around it because it is below 1 calorie and then they count it as negligible (going by the Government set rules) - but actually 1 cup of Splenda Granular has 100 calories and 24 g carbohydrate!!! The affiliate company, McNeil Consumer Products Co. in Canada is more honest about these details - they call it a low-calorie sweetener.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:46 PM   #15
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
LOL Sheryl!!!

Argo, I should really have clarified my remark. I do believe you, but I wonder about the company that says it is 0 g carbs. I just don't buy that. It is a flour, but maybe they have a way of making it particularly high fiber (even more so than it usually is) - and then it comes out to 0 g carbs. I wouldn't trust that though, personally.

It reminds me of McNeil Specialty Products Co. in the States - they claim Splenda is a 0 calorie sweetener - when in actual fact that is not true - it is low-calorie, but not zero. They get around it because it is below 1 calorie and then they count it as negligible (going by the Government set rules) - but actually 1 cup of Splenda Granular has 100 calories and 24 g carbohydrate!!! The affiliate company, McNeil Consumer Products Co. in Canada is more honest about these details - they call it a low-calorie sweetener.

yes but that is different all together! that is a play on serving sizes! trust me, i've been looking at labels for a loonnng time now and there's no error here!
Old 01-17-2004, 01:15 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ForestGirl
Hemp-seed flours

Yep ... they are truly low-carb though (as observed by everyone here) the carb count on the labelling varies quite a lot. In Canada we have had access to this low-carb flour for many years now, and I suspect that is where most of the USA supplies come from as it is still illegal for cultivation and even sale in the USA (Since after WW-2, though that may have recently changed). I hear that US customs is not seizing this product. Actually the controversy arises becuase it does contain very small trace amounts of THC (the cannabis/pot compund that makes people high) but it is present in such incredibly small amounts that you would have to eat 100's or maybe even 1,000's of lbs. of the flour to get the equivalent of 1 "pot brownie" - so you can all relax on that issue.

This would be a "miracle low-carb" flour if they could just do something about it's taste! You know, they are able to "de-nature" Whey, Garlic etc. so I'm hoping this happens soon for Hemp-seed flours.

Anyhow, the brand I have used is "HEMPOLA" and it has about 12g/carbs per 100g (when the fibre content is subtracted). I cannot see how they could make a truly ZERO-CARB hemp-seed flour, but who knows? I suscpect it is in the way they are allowed to label it. i.e. Less than 0.5g per serving counts as ZERO. Anyhow, even at 12g carbs/100g it is truly a neat low-carb flour ... just the taste does need some serious attention!
ForestGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 05:59 PM   #17
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

oh if you mean the 0.5 rule i dont really mind that... i'm not that obsessed with counting carbs! otherwise davinci would wreck havoc with me!

btw, is your name really Forest? thats cool my dad's name is Forest too!
Old 01-17-2004, 06:44 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ForestGirl
Hemp-seed flour

Nope, but it's one I chose for myself because there is something so beautiful and peaceful about Forests ... all those big old trees just standing there, stretching for the sun, quiet, not arguing or bellyaching or causing trouble ... I like "peaceful".
ForestGirl is offline   Reply With Quote