Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2005, 02:40 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 355/293/250 (1st goal)
WOE: Kamikaze Atkin's
Start Date: Dec 1, 2003 (first time) 10/18/12 (last time)
Wow...people go through so much trouble to dry the noodles and get rid of the smell....I find that rinsing with cold water leaves them with no smell at all. I throw them into a frying pan with 1 tsp of oil and they dry up nicely---no towels, no boiling...
Melle's_Sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2005, 05:12 PM   #62
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Purrgirl
Stats: 146/128 5'6
WOE: Vegetarian
Luckily I haven't had much of a problem with the smell either. Even when rinsing I don't notice much of a fishy odor.
Purrgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #63
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Chef Momi
Stats: 160/145/120
Start Date: 3/1/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Hi..

I had bought some in Wichita at an Asian Food Market..they only had the tofu shiratake..I just drained and rinsed them very well...then plopped them in a pan with butter..and stirred them around..put some parmesan cheese on them..Absolutelymdelicious..Today I added some sfree spaghetti sauce..I'm totally sold..

I ordered from kon-jac the regular shiritake noodles---the fettucine style..Hope I like them as well as I did the tofu..

My "kids" are on WW and this would be a zero point food, I think..
Hi Carolyn! Which Asian Market did you find them in? I'm in Wichita, as well, and haven't had any luck yet
Thanks!!
Chef Momi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #64

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
It was the one on Central, I believe..a couple of miles west of the hospital.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:39 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ReneeD70
Stats: fluffy/less fluffy/curvy
WOE: low carb
I used to love pasta...okay I still do I just don't eat it, I tried these once and thought they were hideous. Maybe I did something wrong? It's been so long I don't even recall the method of preparation I used. I WANT to like these to add variety to our meals.
ReneeD70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #66
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Carbslayer
You guys can buy the miracle Noodles like I did. I love these. I will tell you something though they are NO good frozen I was even told unedable... so keep that in mind.
Carbslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:32 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tracy0821
Stats: 296/270/? 150 maybe less?
WOE: Low Carb
Do these noodles go well with Alfredo?
Tracy0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #68
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/225.7/169
Start Date: 06/22/09
Shiritake chicken spaghetti:

This is my favorite shiritake recipe so far.

1 bag shiritake (prepared)
1/4 cup diced tomato (in a can)
1/8 cup bella vita pasta sauce (or any sauce you like)
1tbsp parmesan cheese
1/2 shredded chicken breast

Makes 1 serving
Calories:201, Fat-6.5g Carbs-4 (sorry I don't do net carbs so I'm not sure on the counts of fiber in the tomato's and sauce)
MsWoods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wishin
I have a question. I could not see the picture on the first page of this thread so I don't know which ones you all are referring to. Are the good ones the white ones? I tried the clear ones and they did not agree at all with my insides.
Wishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #70
Big Yapper!!!!

The ones i use are the clear ones. The op was talking about the tofu ones. Ive never used them.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 31, 2003
I realize I'm a little late to the party on these noodles, but I never missed pasta, so I never tried them until today. I LOVE them. Of course, I haven't had real pasta for about 8 years, but I sort of followed Ms. Woods' recipe and sauteed 1/2 package angel hair noodles with a diced up leftover prok chop and added 1/2 cup pasta sauce and 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese. I'm sure I'll have variations of this quite often. Love it.
sligh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:12 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladyflower
Stats: 307/280/240 (mini goal)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart - 02/16/11
I tried these for the first time today. Now, I would never mistake them for real noodles, but they were quite good. Someone had mentioned they had a kind of bean sprout texture and I agree. I took the advice of other posters and put them in an asian sauce. I did notice the "fishy" smell when I opened the bag but I just put the noodles in a collander and rinsed them for a minute or two and the fishy smell was gone. I squeezed all the excess water out and then I put them in a bag with some marinade - soy sauce, chicken broth, oil, green onion, garlic. I let the noodles marinade for about 30 minutes and then poured everything in a pan and let it cook in the liquid for about 10 minutes. Then I dumped out the excess liquid and cooked for a few more minutes to dry them out. Yum! I wasn't fooled into thinking it was noodles but it was something different than just veggies. I had planned on adding some cabbage to the noodles but I forgot. That's how I'll try it next time. I would buy these again.

Mini goal #1 - Get back to first pre-pregnancy weight of 240lbs.
ladyflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #73
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ev.cheung
Tofu Shirataki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishin View Post
I have a question. I could not see the picture on the first page of this thread so I don't know which ones you all are referring to. Are the good ones the white ones? I tried the clear ones and they did not agree at all with my insides.
If you're interested in trying the white ones (tofu shirataki) the brand I know is House Foods. They come in three thickness: Spaghetti, Fettuccine,
Angel-Hair. Google "tofu shirataki" there will be different vendors available. However, the shipping charge might be higher than the clear noodles because they need refrigeration. If there's a sizable Asian market in the area you live, you might want to try there first. Usually they'll be in the cold case along with other type of Japanese and/or Korean stuff.

I eat both the clear and the tofu and whenever we go Asian grocery shopping Atlanta, GA. As far as the tofu type is concerned, I prefer the Angel-Hair because it's able to soak up the most favor after simmering it for a while.

Hope this helps.

Evelyn
ev.cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #74
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeD70 View Post
I used to love pasta...okay I still do I just don't eat it, I tried these once and thought they were hideous. Maybe I did something wrong? It's been so long I don't even recall the method of preparation I used. I WANT to like these to add variety to our meals.

Me, too but the last time I tried them again, I actually got . Now I can never eat them without gagging!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: omgtwins
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 31, 2012 (cause it was Monday)doing this again
Do we still not know if these are okay for Induction?
omgtwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #76
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgtwins View Post
Do we still not know if these are okay for Induction?
I replied in the other thread after Clackley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
They are not on the list of induction foods so, no.

They are great but be sure to pick the ones that are 100% yam and NO tofu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
These are NOT like pasta. They are more like string noodles. I'm afraid that if you get it into your head that is is a wheat pasta substitute that your expectations will be dashed. they don't have the same taste or texture of any flour type pasta. They are slippery and have more bite resistance.

I never dry fry mine but I mostly use them in wet dishes. It's not the water but the lime used to set them that contributes to the smell that some people find objectionable. but unless you are eating them plain straight from the package you will likely be putting them into something that is strongly flavored so you will not likely notice the "smell". I suppose if you were going to serve them with a dry seasoning like dehydrated red bellpepper and basil flakes ( really good btw) you would dry fry them just to remove some of the moisture so the seasoning won't be washed away. I do that by pan frying it with a bit of butter just till it's heated thoroughly. but it seems an extra step to heat it to remove moisture when you going to put it into a pot of wet broth and soak it anyway.

Besides that, just think of any asian noodle bowl dish and this would be appropriate. Many folks do serve this with Italian sauces like tomato and pesto and cheese sauce, but just keep in mind, these are NOT wheat pasta and they won't hold the sauce like pasta does, so it will be a completely different experience. If you are prepared for that, you can enjoy something new and different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
I realize they are not "technically" on the list of induction foods, however, they weren't around when Dr. A was writing the books lol. IMO they are a guilt free food. I count them as 0 everything and I've lost a ton of weight, I attribute in part to them.

I do think that people on induction are too new to appreciate them, though. You have to be without pasta for a while to really appreciate them for what they are. Metqa is right. They are NOT like wheat pasta. But after you go 3 years without real pasta, us long termers really like them

Last edited by MsWoods; 01-15-2013 at 12:24 PM..
Old 01-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #77

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
They are zero carb, zero fat, zero protein, zero calorie. They are water in solid form.
Yes, they are induction friendly.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote