Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2003, 05:34 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sooz
Stats: 171.8/157.9/145 (5'6")
WOE: LC/IF
Start Date: Over and over and over
Silkandsand - Carne en su Jugo..... EXCELLENT Recipe!!!

I made the Carne en su Jugo for dinner tonite and it was SOOOO good. I actually put about a cup of pinto beans in it, but it would have been just as good without. The broth turns out so flavorful, and topped with a little bit of onion, cheese, sour cream, cilantro, salsa and a bit of fresh lime juice...... The entire pot disappeared!

We will add this to our favorites and have it a couple of times a month.

Thanks for posting the recipe Silkandsand!
Sooz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2003, 07:51 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SSin-Deb
Stats: 245/164 /160 ~ 6'1"
WOE: HCG R4P2 (previous Somersizer)
Start Date: April, 2008 (Somersize 2-01)
Hi sooz ~ Can you answer a couple questions about this recipe please? I've never used tomatillos. Did you use fresh or canned? If you used fresh - is there a certain way to prepare them prior to putting them in the blender? I know they have a papery skin...

Did you use one bunch of cilantro?

I've never tastes tomatillo that I know of, but I'd like to give this recipe a try. Thanks in advance! *▄*
SSin-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 09:11 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

I used canned Tomatillos because I had never cooked with them either and didn't really know how to deal with fresh. Instead of adding just water as SilkandSand suggested, I used about 1/2 cup of the juice from the canned tomatillos and 1 1/2 cups water. I also simmered the soup for 2 hours to reduce it down some and make it thicker.

For the beef, I used 2 lbs of tenderized stew meat and sliced it into small bite sized pieces, then threw it in a large soup pot with the bacon and browned them together. I didn't drain off the bacon fat after because there was very little.

As far as the cilantro goes, she says in her recipe "a handful", and that's what I did. Just grabbed a hanfull of the cilantro and threw it into the food processor. In the end, after chopping a bunch to garnish the soup, I had used about 1/3 of a large bunch of cilantro.

I would for sure leave the beans out next time and spend my carbs on a low carb tortilla for dipping into the soup.

I had never tried tomatillos before either, but by my post you can tell we loved them!

Sooz
Old 12-11-2003, 09:38 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Sooz ~ Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions! I sure appreciate all your helpful information. I'm cutting & pasting it onto the recipe now and I'll add it all to my grocery list. That was really kind of you! *▄*
Old 12-11-2003, 10:13 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KLO1
Is this in the recipe room or under the soup "sticky?"
KLO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 01:31 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

It is actually at this link:

http://www.low-carb-friends.com/bbs/...0&pagenumber=2

But here is the recipe as well. She didn't say what to do with the lime, so I cut it into wedges to squirt onto the soup as a garnish.

From SilkandSand:

I live in Mexico, so we eat the "real deal." My favorite is Carne en su Jugo:

Carne en su Jugo:

2 lbs of beef sliced thinly and cut into 1 inch pieces (when we lived in the US, I had our butcher at the grocery store do this for me) or ground beef will work as well.
1 lb of bacon cut into pieces
1 lb of fresh tomatillos (canned will do)
4 cloves of garlic
salt to taste
1 handful of cilantro plus some set aside as a garnish
fresh lime
1 diced avocado
1/2 diced onion
your favorite salsa or hot sauce

First cook the bacon and then take it out of the pan and put it in a pot, save the grease. Then cook the beef until brown in your bacon grease and add that to the pot. Make a green stock in your blender using the tomatillos, cilantro, garlic and a little water. Blend. Now add that to the beef and bacon and cook until tender (The original recipe calls for beans in the soup or on the side as a garnish to be added, I omit the beans for lc) Now dish it up and add cilantro, raw chopped onion, avocado and salsa. You will LOVE this! Your friends will be amazed. It was the hit of every potluck I brought this to.

Sooz
Old 12-11-2003, 01:36 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KLO1
Thanks Sooz, I really does sound good! I love it when we get reviews of the posted recipes, know we get good ones that way!
KLO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 02:26 PM   #8

Gallery: GreenEyedGal
WOE: low carb/no sugar
I made this for a potluck a few months ago...actually let it cook all night, yes all night in my crockpot and it was to die for. Everyone asked for the recipe! I need to make this again!
GreenEyedGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 02:28 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Hi GreenEyedGal ~ Did you use fresh or canned tomatillos? I'm just wondering if it makes a difference, although it doesn't appear to... *▄* (and I already have a big can of them)
Old 12-11-2003, 02:37 PM   #10

I used fresh ones. I think the recipe called for roasting them in the oven if I remember correctly. That is what I did. I think it was a different recipe. I found it in the recipe room. It called for ground beef, but I used tri tip. Do a search under the same name in the recipe room and you will find exact directions on how to prepare the tomatillos.

I live in California and tomatillos are everywhere. Not sure about where you live.

Definitely fresh is better than canned. And roasting them brings out a wonderful flavor!
Old 12-11-2003, 07:47 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Motts Landing
Start Date: restarted Jan 08'
Greeneyedgal....just curious as to how you "roast" a tomatillo? I bought some today so I can make this soup but don't know if you peeled them first or roasted with the peeling on them? What temp. did you roast them at and for how long? Thanks
Motts Landing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 09:03 PM   #12

Basically, what I did is this:
peel off all husk and wash tomatillos. Place on foil lined cookie sheet. Roast in a 400 degree oven until they have that roasted look, may get kind of brown spots, like a toasty marshmallow juices will be flowing a bit, etc. After cooling a bit I put mine in the food processor with other ingredients as specified.

Hope that helps.

edited to add: I roasted them whole but I imagine you could cut in half if you would like, it just might be messy.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:32 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Thank you GreenEyedGal for posting the roasting instructions, because when I checked the RR like you suggested, it simply said, "Roast the tomatillos in your oven, grill, or stovetop".

I thought I'd have to crack the cover of my "Mexican Cooking For Dummies" book!

Yes - plenty of fresh tomatillos here in WA state. *▄*
Old 12-12-2003, 07:45 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for all the great advice! Roasting fresh tomatillos, cooking it in the crockpot.... I'm going to do both next time.

No problem answering your questions SSin-Deb. I've gotten so much great stuff from this board.....

And KLO1, I agree with you on the reviews. I'd love to see more!

Sooz
Old 12-13-2003, 08:43 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bar2
Start Date: August 30, 2003
Hey - thanks you all for this recipe and the tips ---will try it next week!
Bar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 01:42 PM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: silkandsand
Stats: 167/160/130
WOE: PB&J
WOW!!! It is wonderful to know you liked my carne en su jugo recipe!! I had hoped that someone might try it. Yes, the lime is just a garnish to be squeezed into your bowl of soup. I need to check the recipe bulletin board more often!
silkandsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 08:42 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Yes SilkandSand, the recipe is SO good and I am very glad you posted it. And if you have any more "real deal" recipes, I'd LOVE to have them!!

Sooz
Old 12-14-2003, 09:22 AM   #18

I do! I do! Try this one!!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/cgi-bi...tegory=Poultry

I would like to know what you think.

Old 12-14-2003, 09:51 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Kristina! Gonna try it tonite.......

Sooz
Old 12-15-2003, 05:57 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

SilkandSand,

Had the Mexican Tomatillo Chicken for dinner last night and it was delicious! My favorite is still the Carne en su Jugo, but I will definitely make the Chicken again!

Meantime, I searched and found your Green Chili & Jack Stuffed Meatloaf, which is on the menu for tomorrow nite!

THANX!
Sooz

Green Chili & Jack Stuffed Meatloaf

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/cgi-bi...recipe&id=5173
Old 12-16-2003, 08:36 AM   #21

My favorite is the carne en su jugo, too. I have other recipes I should post though....like my chicken chipotle.

I am so glad you have enjoyed my recipes! Thank you!!!! Let me know what you think of the meatloaf.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:27 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Getting ready to go start the meatloaf now. I would LOVE to have the recipe for chicken chipotle!
Old 12-16-2003, 04:11 PM   #23

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Yes, please post the Chicken Chipotle recipe.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 08:27 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

SilkandSand, I found your recipe for Chicken Chipotle. Also tried the Meatloaf last night and it was a big hit. We hadn't had meatloaf in a while and my Dad was in Heaven! DH took it as leftovers for lunch today. I did discover however, only after I started the recipe, that most of the ingredients don't have amounts. It was very easy though to just guesstimate and it turned out fine!

THANX!
Sooz

From SilkandSand:

Chicken Chipotle is for those lazy people out there and it is soooo good!!

Chicken Chipotle

1 chicken cooked and deboned or 4 breasts sliced thin
1 cup cream
1 small can of Chipotles in Adobado sauce (They sell this in the Mexican section of your grocery store)
1 cup chicken stock
salt
Shredded jack cheese if desired

Cook chicken, dice the chipotle peppers and add half the peppers and the sauce (one can will make 2 dinners), add cream and chicken stock, simmer and reduce. Enjoy with a crisp green salad.

Last edited by Sooz; 12-17-2003 at 08:29 AM..
Old 12-17-2003, 06:22 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Beatriz
WOE: just low carb
We had carne en su jugo for dinner tonight and it was delicious! I used canned tomatillos and cooked it in the crockpot all day. The smell nearly drove me crazy.
SilkandSand, Thank you for a great recipe. Can't wait to try your chipotle chicken.
Beatriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 06:23 PM   #26

Sooz,
I am so glad you are enjoying my contributions to the recipe room. Mexico has given me a lot of good recipes. I will work on posting more soon. Also, thank you for bringing the vagueness of the amounts in my recipes to my attention. Old habits die hard, I guess. I have always been a "little bit of this and a little bit of that" kind of cook. I'll go back in when I get a chance and be more specific.

As always, if you try the chicken chipotle, let me know what you think. I hope your family isn't getting sick of Mexican food!

Edited to reply to Myrtle:
We must have posted at the same time! LOL I LOVE the carne en su jugo recipe. The smell drives us crazy, too. I got the recipe from a man here that has a restaurant and that is his specialty. To my amazement, he actually gave me the recipe, as long as I promised not to open a restaurant across the street from him! I am so glad you enjoyed it. Hmmmm, I am hankering for a hearty bowl of carne en su jugo!!! I especially love it when the weather is chilly.

Are you all able to dice the raw avacado in the bowl as a garnish? I imagine this isn't the best time of year to buy avacados.

Last edited by silkandsand; 12-17-2003 at 06:29 PM..
Old 12-17-2003, 08:13 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally posted by silkandsand
Sooz,
Are you all able to dice the raw avacado in the bowl as a garnish? I imagine this isn't the best time of year to buy avacados.
I decided to make this at the last minute, so no time for ripe avocados. Next time I will plan in advance and ripen one.

By the way, no WAY do we get sick of Mexican food. It is our favorite! I am going to take the Carne en su Jugo recipe with me to Tucson next week and make it for my sort of LC'ing in-laws. They will love it!

And no problem with the vagueness. The recipes are very easy to understand.

Chicken Chipotle on Monday!

Sooz
Old 12-17-2003, 09:39 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Beatriz
WOE: just low carb
You're right about the avocados - it's real hard to find a decent one this time of the year - so no avocado for garnish. I did have diced onion, fresh jalapeno, and cilantro though. My dh is from Mexico and while he enjoys anything I cook for him, he loves it when I find something that tastes authentically Mexican to him. Guess it's sort of like 'soul food' for him. He was a happy man tonight.
Beatriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 06:22 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 270/ RS 255/237.5/155
WOE: Low carb, stay in ketosis, under 30ish
Start Date: Restart 2/20/13
quick question...i have all the stuff, however my DH brought home a gigantic can of tomatillo's...about 30 oz can! How much do i use? I know 2 cups is 16oz and 16oz is a lb, but....just doesnt sound right. For those that used the can, about what size did you use...and im assuming you drained the juice?

I have a can of black soy beans....do you think its worth finally opening this bad boy can that i have had for over a year, and dumping them in? Have been afraid of them till now lol, but i hear they soak up the flavor of whatever your cooking.

One more? is a tomatillo some sort of tomato? My can says 4 carbs with 4 fiber per serving, which nets almost 0....doesnt sound like any tomato i ever heard of

Poo

One saggy boob said to the other saggy boob:
"If we don't get some support soon, people will think we're nuts."

Dear Lord, if you cant make me skinny, please make all my friends fat. Amen.
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 07:10 PM   #30

Nurseypoo, I would use 2 cups of the canned tomatillos. I PERSONALLY would not use the black soy beans--but try it if you want. I think I would heat them up separately and add them to the carne en su jugo after it's all cooked. I would hate to see you toss the whole thing because of weird beans.

I'm not sure of the relationship between tomatillos and tomatoes--but they are good!!!