Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2003, 07:11 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Freckles
I made this last night for dinner and it was a hit! My parents and husband loved it. Made salsa with the extra tomatillos and it was very good. I think the carne en su jugo tasted best about 2 or 3 hours before dinner, though. I cooked it in a slow cooker (not a crock pot) for about 6 hours on medium heat. I oven roasted the tomatillos and used round steak. Thanks silkandsand for the great recipe.
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2003, 10:42 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sooz
Stats: 171.8/157.9/145 (5'6")
WOE: LC/IF
Start Date: Over and over and over
I'm not sure why tomatillos are so much lower in carbs than tomatoes. That's a great question.

By now you have probably made the dish nurseypoo5, but I agree with SilkandSand..... after making this dish with beans, I would make it without every time. And I am a big bean fan.

Because tomatillos are so low in net carbs, I used pretty much the entire 30 oz can when I made mine. I'm now hooked on tomatillos!

Freckles, how did you make your salsa? That sounds like a great idea!

You'll have to let us know how yours turns out nurseypoo5.
Sooz
Sooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 10:47 AM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 262/233/165
WOE: Low carb, Atkins, more H2O
Start Date: Restart 7/3/14
I am making mine now, i hope i get it cooked in time to take some to work! I have a crock pot and a large soup pot.....do you think its better in the soup pot? I also have a pressure cooker, but think that the tomatillos might be to sensitive for that, so im sticking to the crock. ty i will let you knwo what we thought tomorrow morning!

wow sand, your a hit!

Poo
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 10:52 AM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

one more thing, since im not a cooking expert....do you almost puree the toms, the garlic, and the cilantro? or is it still chunky? Also do you add any other spices....im in the kitchen doing this thing so write back soon! ty
Poo

ps all i have is the garlic that comes minced in the little jar in the produce section. its fresh but minced.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:00 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

I pureed the stuff until it was pretty smooth. And as far as other spices, I just followed the recipe because I was a bit afraid of ruining the soup since I had never cooked with tomatillos before. I did use fresh garlic for my recipe this time, but I use the stuff in the jar all the time and can't really taste the difference.

Also, I didn't cook mine in the crockpot. I just simmered it in a soup pot for a couple of hours until the beef was really tender. YUM! I want some noW!!!

Sooz
Old 12-20-2003, 11:29 AM   #36
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: silkandsand
Stats: 167/160/130
WOE: PB&J
Yes, puree until smooth. I really need to make some carne en su jugo sooon!
silkandsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 11:32 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
For those of you who can't get tomatillos in your supermarket--jars of green salsa work too, if they're made from tomatillos. My store doesn't carry fresh or canned tomatillos this time of year, but it does carry a mild green salsa that contains roasted tomatillos, jalapenos, cilantro, and garlic (nearly all groceries carry this--but be careful with Mrs Renfro's version, since it's extremely hot).

Here's my modification:

Brown 2.5 lbs of pork loin (cut into 1" cubes) in 1 lb of chopped bacon. Pork is very cheap right now, and beef is pricy. When I lived in Mexico, we usually had pork stews, and pork works very well with tomatillos

Add 4 cloves of garlic, cook briefly

Add to crockpot, pour in 1 16 oz jar of mild or medium green salsa, cook on high 2-3 hours or low 6-8 hours.

Just before serving, sprinkle with chopped cilantro, chopped scallions, chopped avocado, grated cheese, a tablespoon of sour cream, a squeeze of lime (some or all of the above)

I'm sure this isn't as good as the dish made with freshly roasted green tomatillos--but it's very easy and incredibly yummy!
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 11:43 AM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

ok...duh...lol

the first recipe from sooz says no water, but later she says 1/2 cup of tom. water and 1 1/2 cup water. Since i just made this and there isnt any water and its thick thick....im adding the water, hope im doing ok....lol, not as dumb in the kitchen as some, but diff not a chef

wow there is a lot of seeds in this thing, im thinking macdonalds for the 7 yr old lol!
Old 12-21-2003, 07:22 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally posted by nurseypoo5
ok...duh...lol

the first recipe from sooz says no water, but later she says 1/2 cup of tom. water and 1 1/2 cup water.

wow there is a lot of seeds in this thing, im thinking macdonalds for the 7 yr old lol!
Oops! You are so right. The original recipe calls for the water in the directions of the recipe where she says "Make a green stock in your blender using the tomatillos, cilantro, garlic and a little water." I wanted to clarify that I used more than a little water in mine because I wanted to cook it longer and reduce it down while I tenderized the meat.

As far as the 7 year old, my 23 month old grandson LOVED it!

Sooz
Old 12-22-2003, 07:27 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bar2
Start Date: August 30, 2003
Ok, I made it using Tiva's recipe -- used a small can of mexican tomitillos and part of a jar of green salsa. It was wonderful! My family, including kids, loved it.
a "keeper"
thanks
Bar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 09:21 AM   #41

Hey, we went to Jose's Place yesterday for Carne en su Jugo. My girls, ages 9 and 7 had the option of anything on the menu and they both chose the carne en su jugo. Did your 7 y.o. like it, Nurseypoo?

Tiva, I think the main difference in flavors between your recipe and mine are that tomatillos will give it a tangy flavor that I imagine the jarred salsa wouldnt. Just a guess though.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:06 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Motts Landing
Start Date: restarted Jan 08'
silkandsand....
LOVED the carne en su jugo (made it twice already!). I also made the Chicken Chipolte...WOW...DH says make that again!!! I did think that using the 1/2 can of peppers was HOT HOT HOT!! (And I like spicy hot...DH thought it was a bit hot also) Next time I may go to a third of the can. I liked it a lot as is, but also decided to add a pinch of cumin & a pinch of chile powder. For the leftovers, we put it in a LaTortilla and added a pinch of cilantro and diced onion & grated cheese...YUM!! Thanks for your contributions! Keep em' coming!!
Motts Landing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 08:38 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kraftymom
Stats: 167/154.4/135 5'4"
WOE: hcg diet
Start Date: Sept 23, 2011
THANKS for these recipes! WOW! We loved both the chipoltle chicken and the carne....was hoping you might know how to make arroz con pollo (but of course lcarb without the rice!) my dh who is not eating lc, loved both your dishes and we will be having them often...any others you have to share will be MOST welcome!
kraftymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 09:12 PM   #44
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SimpleHarmony
Stats: 175/???/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Starting daily...
I liked the carne, too. A lot. I added cumin, chili powder and salt, because I like fairly heavy seasoning. I roasted fresh tomatillos and it was easy. No peeling like with chilis!
SimpleHarmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 06:03 AM   #45

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
kraftymom, why not make arroz con pollo with faux rice (grated fresh cauliflower)? You may have to make some recipe adjustments, but it would still taste good. Why don't you post a traditional recipe and we'll all see what we can do to low carb it?
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:21 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

I made the recipe again, only this time, strained some of the seeds out just for a test. I also used 2 cans of tomatillos instead of one. It was just as good either way, but for those who might not like the seeds, try straining the broth mix before adding it to the beef. You have to use something to push the "meat" of the tomatillo through the strainer so that it gets in there because it is one of the best parts.

Passed the recipe on to my then not LC'ing now LC'ing sister in Tucson. Can't wait to hear how her family likes it!

Sooz
Old 01-06-2004, 05:36 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kraftymom
Stats: 167/154.4/135 5'4"
WOE: hcg diet
Start Date: Sept 23, 2011
Thanks for the offer LindaSue, but unfortunately I don't have a recipe! Its a dish served at my favorite mexican restaurants-I don't eat the rice (arroz) just the "con pollo" part! It is strips of chicken breast strips (in some delicous sauce!?) mushrooms, red, green and yellow peppers, onions and lots of cheese-all LC friendly I assume (except the mystery sauce-I think its tomato based, but its very light and I can taste cumin, chili powder, etc) Allrecipes had 2 recipes but they had peas and corn and other ingred. I have never seen in there (poster there said it was authentic cuban and southern florida version) I want the mexican version! Thats why I was hoping silkandsand might know, since her recipes were so authentic and delicious...!
Anyone know what I am talking about?!
TIA!
Old 01-06-2004, 06:37 PM   #48

KraftyMom, I don't have a good pollo con arroz recipe, but I will ask around. I have had many different variations on it here, one even reminded me of chicken and dumplings with bay leaves and peppercorns!

If the tomatoe cheesy base is what they make here it is a combination of chicken and tomatoe broth with cream stirred in. It makes it taste cheesy, believe it or not. Most people here use Knorr chicken and tomatoe bullion. In fact this is how they make mac and cheese. It tastes very cheesy.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:52 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

I'm sure there are some folks here that have seen this thread pop up fairly often, but I just made Carne en su Jugo again for dinner for Thursday night and had the leftovers for lunch today.

I still LOVE this recipe and had to comment about it again. It is for sure one of my very favorite recipes ever, not just low carb. We used a slotted spoon this time to scoop out the meat and put it in LC Tortillas like a burrito, then smothered the burrito with the sauce and loaded it up with lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, onions, shredded cheese and homemade salsa.

Thanks again Silkand Sand. This is destined to become a traditional family recipe.

Sooz
Old 03-06-2004, 03:33 PM   #50

Sooz, I never thought I'd see this thread revive again! I am so glad you love this as much as we do! I haven't tried scooping the meat out and putting it in tortillas! I would love to try that! Thanks for letting me know how much you enjoy this recipe! Maybe this is what I should fix for my birthday on Monday???

Have you or your family tried it with beans?

I just added this to the crockpot recipes yesterday.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:49 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally posted by silkandsand
Sooz, I never thought I'd see this thread revive again!

Have you or your family tried it with beans?

Hi SilkandSand,

I just had to revive this again for some of the new people who maybe hadn't seen the recipe!

We haven't tried the Carne en su Jugo with beans yet because it is SOOOO good without them. I'd rather spend my carbs on the tortillas, etc. For lunch today I just ate it like a soup. I added nothing..... And it was fantastic.

Hope you have a wonderful birthday!!!! Smothered burritos would make a great birthday meal. I get keep non-LC Tortillas for those who are not LC'ing and everyone loves it.

Sooz
Old 03-07-2004, 07:57 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kharden
Stats: 179/139/135 5' 7''
Start Date: January 27, 2004
Thanks for bumping this post. I started at the end of January and would have never seen it. I've already put these ingredients on my grocery list.
kharden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 11:18 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Boo1
Start Date: July 21, 2003
I want to try these receipes but am having a hard time find the fresh or canned tomatillos. I know the fresh if I find them, but could someone please tell me the brand name of the canned and maybe describe it some. Also can't find the Chipotles in Adobado could you also list brand name for this. Thanks so much for any and all help. Reading this thread has made me very hungry for both dishes.
Boo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:30 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

The brand I use is Embasa or La Costena. They are in a 12 oz can and are the whole tomatillos. I find mine in the Mexican section but they are usually with the Mexican Specialty foods like Chipoltle peppers etc. I had to ask where they were the first time I bought them at King Soopers (Kroger) but they knew right away, and now no matter where I shop, they have always been in the same area.

Also, I forgot to mention that I always strain the seeds out now. So I strain the tomatillos after I have processed them in the food processor, then put a little of the mixture back in to process the cilantro and garlic with.

I still use the entire can of tomatillos and all of the liquid, then add water as neccesary. About 30 minutes before I serve it, I ad 2 teaspoons guar gum mixed with a bit of water to thicken the soup a bit.

Enjoy!

Sooz

Last edited by Sooz; 03-07-2004 at 02:32 PM..
Old 03-07-2004, 03:31 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Boo1
Start Date: July 21, 2003
Sooz,

Thank you so much for responding. The information will help me a lot. Off to Super Walmart in Tampa to try my luck there.
Boo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 10:59 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

No problem Boo 1! And actually, after looking at it, the can is 1lb 12 oz.

Good luck!

Sooz
Old 01-21-2007, 01:21 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Bump

I wanted to bump this post because I am making this recipe again today and wanted to say how GREAT this is. The recipe is below. I use canned La Costena tomatillos and process them in the food processor by themselves. Then I strain out the seeds (there are a lot of them), put the liquid back in the processor and add the garlic and cilantro. I don't add the beans because it is really good without them. We will top our's with fresh lime juice, cilantro, shredded cheese, sour cream and onion (a little for some of us).

Thanks again SilkandSand for this great recipe.

Carne en su Jugo:

2 lbs of beef sliced thinly and cut into 1 inch pieces (when we lived in the US, I had our butcher at the grocery store do this for me) or ground beef will work as well.
1 lb of bacon cut into pieces
1 lb of fresh tomatillos (canned will do)
4 cloves of garlic
salt to taste
1 handful of cilantro plus some set aside as a garnish
fresh lime
1 diced avocado
1/2 diced onion
your favorite salsa or hot sauce

First cook the bacon and then take it out of the pan and put it in a pot, save the grease. Then cook the beef until brown in your bacon grease and add that to the pot. Make a green stock in your blender using the tomatillos, cilantro, garlic and a little water. Blend. Now add that to the beef and bacon and cook until tender (The original recipe calls for beans in the soup or on the side as a garnish to be added, I omit the beans for lc) Now dish it up and add cilantro, raw chopped onion, avocado and salsa. You will LOVE this! Your friends will be amazed. It was the hit of every potluck I brought this to.