Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2003, 10:20 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KLO1
Donvier ice cream ?

Can you believe I'm even asking this in winter! But I have tried this recipe before and would like to make it for the holidays. I tried making this in my Donvier and it got so hard around the edges the paddle couldn't turn and this happend almost instantly!
Here is the recipe.

Frozen Pumpken Ice Cream

2 eggs
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1.5 cups milk-I used half & half
1 cup sugar-used Splenda
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup canned pumpkin

In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk milk, sugar and eggs. Stirring constantly, cook until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk in cream, pumpking, cinnamon, and nutmet. Chill thouroughly.
Makes 1 qt.

This tasted great but like I said it didn't freeze properly in the Donvier and when I put it in the freezer it was rock hard and even when I would leave it out it didn't really melt! Was that because of the Splenda?
Help please!
KLO1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2003, 05:22 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Check out the Ice Cream Page.

http://www.low-carb-friends.com/bbs/...ferrerid=55974

Quote:
A starting temperature between 27 and 35 degrees F works well. Below the lower temperature the mixture will freeze immediately, and you will get large pieces of ice.
Maybe chilling it thoroughly, then popping it in the freezer for a bit before putting it into the Donvier. Or maybe letting the tub warm up a little would keep it from freezing so fast.

I made frozen yogurt and had the same experience.

Quote:
For a smoother-textured ice cream.
4. Let ice cream mixture "age" for 4 to 12 hours at 32 to 40 F before freezing.
5. Have the mixture between 27 and 35 F when it goes into the ice cream maker. To prevent mixture from freezing too fast, which will produce large ice crystals and not incorporate air.

6. With hand-cranked ice cream makers, crank slowly at first.
To keep temperature the same throughout.

7. With hand-cranked ice cream makers, crank faster when thickening and freezing begin.
To keep crystals small and beat air into the mixture.
You may be already doing this, but these are some of the tips. I hope you figure it out. I'm actually going to recieve my own Donvier in a couple of weeks and I too will be making Ice Cream in the middle of Winter. Hey that's was wool blankets and and fuzzy warm house booties were made for
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 07:34 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, I have read the ice cream "sticky" but digging thru for what I needed didn't work, I missed it!
We used to eat more ice cream in winter than we ever did in summer, before l/c days that is!
Old 12-10-2003, 08:27 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
KL01, lowcarbman suggested putting lechithin and food grade glycerine in ice cream to keep it from sticking to the sides of the ice cream maker and also to keep it so that you are able to scoop it when taking it out of the freezer. Here is his recipe:

Basic Sugar Free Syrup Ice Cream Recipe:

by Locarbman

2c Heavy Cream (13.2 carbs)
1c Liquid Stevia, Davinci, Atkins, or Torani Sugar Free Syrup (0 carbs)
2c (sugar equivalent sweetener, 1/2t liquid Stevia is 0 carbs ;-)
2T Vegetable Glycerine (0 carbs)
3T Lecithin Granules (1.5 carbs) [or 3 egg yokes for a custard mix]
1/4t Xanthan Gum (0 carbs)
1/8t Salt (0 carbs)

I mix all ingredients in a 4 cup measuring cup with a hand blender and then place in a 1.5qt Cuisinart ice cream maker and freeze. Makes ~4 cups of ice cream that will be spoonable days later right from the freezer.

I looked everywhere for the vegetable glycerine and finally had to order it online (I forget where I ordered it from now). I did find the lecithin granules at GNC. I'm going to try this soon in my Donvier. The last time I tried to make ice cream in it it did the same thing to me and my paddle broke but they sent me a new one for free. So I think the lecithin and glycerine will help considerably. He said to use the same amount in about any 1 qt. recipe.

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. (2 Chr 16:9 KJV)
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 10:22 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Linda, will give the glycerine and lechithan a try. I really would like to figure this out so I can use the Donvier. It's discouraging when you get something new and it doesn't work right!