Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2003, 09:45 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karingreen
Stats: 210/192 nursing baby/170
WOE: low carb
Start Date: June 2008 again
Cornbread dressing made with Atkins cornbread mix

I made regular cornbread dressing for everyone else, I did have about three small bites. But for me I made mine with the Atkins cornbread mix, all I added was onion, celery, chicken broth and salt and pepper. It was terrible it tasted like pure sugar. I had never had the Atkins cornbread mix before and I will not again it is extremly to sweet tasting. I also made the cauliflower mashed potatoes of the recipe boared I really like them. I am so proud that I did really well yester day. I stayed on plan except for two bite of pumpkin pie and one bite of a Andes cream pie very tiny tiny bites. I am not sure but the pumpkin might not have been to bad it had can pumpkin, carnation evaporated milk and egg. Overall it was a good day, considering I did 90% of the cooking and I had lots and lots of not lc stuff and a never ending dessert list. Now to get ready for Christmas.
Karingreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2003, 11:30 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: soontobesexy'ntx
Stats: 216/211/150
WOE: don't count carbs or eat them either!
Start Date: 12/5/14
did you add LC bread to your dressing??
I agree the cornbread mix is too sweet by itself but then again I don't add sugar to my "scratch" corn bread (I think sugar in cornbread is a Yankee thing??)
I made LC cressing using cornbread mix
LC toast and everything else like real dressing and it was good
my IL's couldn't tell the dif HAHA
soontobesexy'ntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 11:36 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Butterflymama
Stats: 196/185.5/135
WOE: Atkins/Stillman's
Start Date: 01/22/12, restart yet again
I made the Atkins cornbread and used it along with low carb bread to make stuffing. I thought it was pretty good. I also liked the cornbread plain (we had to try it before I used it in the stuffing). It was on the sweet side, but I thought it tasted pretty darn good! My DH and mom also loved it and I'm planning a low carb chili and cornbread night for them soon.
Butterflymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 12:49 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Pam40
Stats: 213/175/160
WOE: Whole foods, balanced diet
Start Date: 02/07/13
Karingreen, I had the same experience as you. I had never tried the Atkins Corn Muffin mix and was looking so forward to making cornbread dressing. I also used 10 pieces of low carb white bread (dried out) in it. It was absolutely, positively horrible to my taste buds. It was far, far too sweet for me. I was so disappointed. It would have almost been too sweet as a dessert. lol
Pam40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 03:30 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: starlight
I'm really ticked that someone added sweet taste to this mix.Let people sweeten it themselves!It completely ruined the taste for me,never buy it again.I did NOT use it for stuffing.Jan
starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 05:00 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ayrlin
WOE: My own thing
Start Date: Aug 28th
I bought it and made corn muffins from it 2 weeks before thanksgiveing to make sure it was correct for dressing.
its horridly sweet and wasnt sutable at all for dressing.
leave it to a yankee to ruin perfectly good cornbread
Ayrlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 05:02 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: spazcat
Stats: 220/125!!!/110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Nov 29 2001
I have just flat out decided that I will never try to make a decent tasting dressing in my life never again 2 years in a row and it made me gag I will have to live without
spazcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 01:35 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abbyalex
Well here I am, the lone dissenter! I made sausage and fennel stuffing using Atkins cornbread, a pound of sweet italian sausage, 2 large fennel bulbs, onions, etc. It was excellent! The cornbread added sweetness, but it's possible that the sausage and fennel detracted from the sweetness with savory flavors. The finished stuffing was not overly sweet at all. I plan to make it again for Christmas. It was a big hit!
abbyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 01:58 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sher795
Stats: 200/140/130(3rd goal)
WOE: Atkins;Yogurt
Start Date: 8-30-03
I have never used the cornbread mix but I made Atkins Sausage-Sage stuffing and thought it was great. It also got rid of 4 slices of my Atkins white bread in the freezer (don't like it plain).
sher795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 02:04 PM   #10
Mom to Pups the Traveling Labrador

Gallery: Paula Jayne
Stats: NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT
WOE: Atkins-Maintenance
Start Date: July 21, 2003
I made Natural Ovens LC Stuffing it WAS YUMMMMY

Natural ovens LC bread 6 slices (enough for me)
Sage
Thyme
2 Eggs
salt
Pepper
Garlic Salt
Onion Powder
Butter

Mix it all up in a stovetop pot, cook until fluffy or desired taste and YUMMMMY and BAM you have stuffing hahaha
Paula Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 02:33 PM   #11
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Tall_Texan
Stats: 185/160 (now 172-oops)/150
WOE: All Natural - lower carb
Start Date: 6/01/03
Same here. I used a tip from the Recipe board and used less water in the mix. I also added onion, celery, sausage and chicken broth. It was way too sweet for my taste. I'm one of those people who, making cornbread the old way, would only use a scant of sugar. I will not buy that stuff again!
Tall_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 02:33 PM   #12
Puppetmaster

Location: H to tha Y to tha D Scrambled word of the day: TOSIYMING. PM your guess. **PARKER** won last time!
Gallery: SomeGirlOnTheNet
Stats: Fair enough
WOE: Cafe disaffecto
Oh no no no! I paid on ebay for two packs I haven't made yet- it will be my first time having it since the package has changed... really that bad????
SomeGirlOnTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 02:42 PM   #13

Gallery: CaliforniaChris
Stats: 265/237/175
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: Which Time?
I also combined other low carb bread (Trader Joe's) with the Atkins cornbread. Added celery, onions, mushrooms, pecans and sausage. Everyone loved it. It was sweeter than what I usually make, so next year I'll use a scratch recipe...

Chris

You've on one life to live...LIVE it Low Carb!
CaliforniaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 02:43 PM   #14

Gallery:
Yes! I made everything lc for Thanksgiving and the dressing was the only sub-par dish. Foul, foul, foul, candy-sweet yankee cornbread dressing. ICK! And I added lc bread crumbs, sausage, onion, etc. Still sticky sweet.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:48 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amber lite
Well, I don't mean to boast but my recipe I can't believe it's not cornbread(recipe room) made a wonderful real tasting dressing. Just omit the splenda and wha-la. I'm not a yanky, but I like the taste off sweet cornbread-you know that Jiffy mix thing
amber lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 07:44 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jenifer_in_CA
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/28/04
Question: Did the recipe change when they changed the packaging?

I have tried the old packaging one before and really liked it. Maybe it's because I'm not from the south, but I happen to like my corn bread sweet!

I still want to try to make dressing out of this. For those of you that made it and liked it, what recipe did you use? Did you crumble and dry out the cornbread first?
Jenifer_in_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 04:38 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sheryl5
I'm from Texas...No sweet cornbread in my family, so I used Sherrilee's Cornbread Dressing recipe. My mom made the old standard for the no LC-ing part of the family. My mom and my husband tried both. Mom's reaction: BLECCHHH! (But then it was one of her more negative days...Oh, well.) But, my husband met me in the kitchen and whispered, "I like yours better." He's a sweetie, but I think he really meant it.
Sheryl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:02 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: beachstargazer
Sherrilee's cornbread recipe...Lost it...please help

I used to have her cornbread receip, but have moved and cannot find it....I am about to panic since it is getting close to Thanksgiving.....It is soooooo good....Can anyone help me and post the recipe Please......jean in TX.....
beachstargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grace
Sherrilee's Cornbread

1 Pkg cream cheese (8 oz)
3 eggs
3 tbsp Splenda
1/3 cup Atkins Bake Mix *see below for making your own
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup Soy Grits (Bob's Red Mills Brand)
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp Bacon Grease melted** see below how to do this
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Beat cream cheese with mixer until blended smooth, add the remaining ingredients (see below for bacon grease) and let sit for 5 minutes before using.

3. Cast Iron Skillet:
Preparing the pan, this is a southern thing, so if you have never done this don't despair...it's easy! Preheat the oven with the cast iron skillet in side for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove to stove top and add 2 tbsp bacon grease, return to oven. Once melted remove the pan and turn to coat the sides of the pan, pour the remaining grease in

4. your batter and mix well.

5. Pour the batter into greased pan and return to oven, cook until golden brown on top!

6. If you don't have a cast iron skillet...just grease a 9X 12 pan and pour in mixture, don't forget to add the grease to your batter!

7. Slice and serve with a big ole pat of butter!

8. Makes 10 large Slices ~ 3.3 carbs per slice

9. Nutritional Information via ******!
Calories Total: 173_
Fat: 13 68%__
Sat: 7_36%__
Poly: 1__5%__
Mono: 4_ 21%
Carbs: 4.8_8%_
Fiber: 1.5__0%
Protein: 11_ 25%
--------------------------------
Faux Atkins Bake Mix
1 cup soy flour
2 cups soy protein isolate
2 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Splenda
Sift together then store and use as you would Dr. A's. It's much cheaper and things come out about the same.
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: beachstargazer
Thank you Grace

Grace: Thanks so much for the corn bread recipe by Sherrilee.....I really do miss her website......did not copy too mamy things not realizing it would disappear completely.....Hope she is doing well....Thanks again......Jean in TX
beachstargazer is offline   Reply With Quote