Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2003, 09:11 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linda1960
Stats: 246/201.2/145
WOE: Atkin's Low-Carb WOE
Start Date: Restarted at 205 lbs/Highest wt: 246
Atkins 'Thicken Thin Not/Starch Thickener' for Gravy, Stews, etc.

I just ordered the "Atkins Thicken Thin Not" Product, so that I could have gravy with my meats, (especially Thanksgiving Day with my turkey). I hear it makes the gravy real thick and creamy, (just like flour), but with no lumps, and that it reheats well also.

They say you can thicken cold or hot liquids....whatever you want. (I imagine I could thicken my low-carb pancake syrup with it too....YUMMM).

Has anyone ever tried it? It was expensive, but you only use small amounts...so it should last me a while; and it sure will be worth every penny if I can start having gravy with my meats, and thicken stews, and syrups, etc. It's supposed to work better than Xantham and Guar Gums. Oh, and it's 0 Net Carbs! Any input from anyone?

Feb 1998 - 246 lbs.-Highest weight Pre-Atkins. Lost 70 lbs on low-carb, and kept it off for years. Then gained some back when I stopped doing low-carb). I'm baaaaack!!!!!!!

Last edited by Linda1960; 11-12-2003 at 09:12 AM..
Linda1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2003, 07:04 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patt3
Stats: 173/153/150
WOE: /low carb
I use this regularly. The gravy will be more like a cornstarch gravy vs. a flour gravy, but it does work well and does not get lumpy. Just whisk it in! It works well in all kids of sauces.
Patt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 07:26 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miestake
Stats: Reinduction coming up: 242/230/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Reinducted 03-26-07
Patt3, I live in Avon, Minnesota. Do you buy your Thick N Thin around here? Or do you order on-line?
miestake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 10:59 PM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: argo2d
Re: Atkins 'Thicken Thin Not/Starch Thickener' for Gravy, Stews, etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by Linda1960
I just ordered the "Atkins Thicken Thin Not" Product, so that I could have gravy with my meats, (especially Thanksgiving Day with my turkey). I hear it makes the gravy real thick and creamy, (just like flour), but with no lumps, and that it reheats well also.

They say you can thicken cold or hot liquids....whatever you want. (I imagine I could thicken my low-carb pancake syrup with it too....YUMMM).

Has anyone ever tried it? It was expensive, but you only use small amounts...so it should last me a while; and it sure will be worth every penny if I can start having gravy with my meats, and thicken stews, and syrups, etc. It's supposed to work better than Xantham and Guar Gums. Oh, and it's 0 Net Carbs! Any input from anyone?
did they really name it atkins thicken thin not??!!!! they're taking other people's products and putting their name on it!!!!
argo2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 03:59 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linda1960
Stats: 246/201.2/145
WOE: Atkin's Low-Carb WOE
Start Date: Restarted at 205 lbs/Highest wt: 246
I ordered it through the 800 number listed on the website www.atkins.com. It's called thicken thin not...(not sure of the manufacturer or brand name), but I went through their products listed, and called the 800 number to place the order. It will take 3 business days to get it. Can't wait. I will use it all the time for my pork roasts, and chicken/turkey gravy, for beef stew to make it thicker, etc. And won't that turkey taste good with gravy smothered on it, rather than just dry on my plate!

I guess it works great adding it to those thin syrups too......like my atkins syrup.....it will be nice to have thicker maple syrup. It was a little pricey, but you only use a couple tablespoons for a large pan of gravy; so it will be worth it to me.
Linda1960 is offline   Reply With Quote