Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2003, 12:15 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linda1960
Stats: 246/196.2/145
WOE: JUDDD/(combined with WW-type foods)
Start Date: Highest wt: 246/ Start JUDDD 8/18/2014 @ 209.8
Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe (using pumpkin)?

Does anyone know where to find the Sweet Potato Casserole (made with pumpkin)?

I have searched this entire website, and cannot find it anywhere. Someone mentioned that it was in the recipe room, but could not find it there either.

Would love to have this recipe for Thanksgiving. Any ideas greatly appreciated!
Linda1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2003, 12:42 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: soontobesexy'ntx
Stats: 208/206/???
WOE: HCG/OWL plan
Start Date: which time??
Hey Linda,
I looked and couldn't find it either but heres one (off the top of my head)
1 can pumpkin
1 cup = of sugar twin brown sugar or LC syrup
Butter

for the topping
crushed almonds
butter
sugar twin brown sugar or bake able AS

mix the topping together with your fingers (like brown apple betty topping)
bake @350 til toasted
soontobesexy'ntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 12:54 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

soontobesexy'ntx: Boy that sounds good. Thanks so much. I will have to try that. YUMMMMMM
Old 10-30-2003, 03:13 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: divechime
Stats: You're kidding, right?
Start Date: Over and over again.
Here are several that I had copied down. I'm sorry I can't provide credit to who ever posted these. You might also check the Thanksgiving thread or the Holiday sticky.

Faux Sweet Potatoes
2 cans pumpkin
2 eggs
1 tps. molasses
4 Tbs. melted butter
2 Tbs. Splenda
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
salt (to taste)

Streusel topping:
1/2 cup crushed almonds
2 Tbs. butter, softened
pinch of cinnamon
Splenda

Mix all but topping ingredients and place into a medium-sized casserole that has been sprayed with Pam. In a small bowl combine topping ingredients forming into small crumbs. Sprinkle atop of the pumpkin mixture. Bake at 350 until warm and the streusel topping sets a bit. This would take about 30 minutes. You can make this in the morning and place it in the fridge, then heat it up probably take around 45 minutes or so to warm up. You can halve for 2 or 3 people.

Faux Sweet Potatoes
I found a REALLY easy way to make "sweet potatoes". I take a butternut squash, (they are light tan color and longish. Wash, and then stab it with a knife about 10 times (keep turning it). Then put it in the microwave WHOLE, you don’t need to cut it up first, and nuke it for about 6 minutes. Turn it, and nuke for another 6 minutes. That will make it nice and mashable. Take it out, cut it in half, and scoop out the seeds. Then all you have to do is mash it with a fork, put butter, salt and pepper, and I sprinkle some Brown sugar twin or Sugar Free maple syrup on it.

Faux Sweet Potato Casserole
1 can pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 tablespoon Splenda, granular
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 pinch salt
Topping:
1/4 cup ground pecans
1 tablespoon butter -- softened
1 pinch cinnamon
1 tablespoon protein powder - omitted and it turned out fine

Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix first 6 ingredients together and put into a small casserole dish. Mix topping ingredients and sprinkle over the pumpkin in the casserole dish. Bake until warmed through and topping has set a bit, about 15 mins. Serving Size: 4 Per serving: 152 Calories (kcal); 13g Total Fat; (73% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 70mg Cholesterol; 141mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates NOTES : This tastes just like pumpkin pie! 5g carb per serving (7g carb / 2 g fiber) per Mastercook
Old 10-31-2003, 04:51 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much for these wonderful recipes. I really love my sweet potatoes (that was my favorite part of the whole thanksgiving feast)!

I will try these before "turkey day" so that I can have my sweet potato substitute. I can probably survive without the mashed potatoes and gravy.....but I love my sweet potatoes and stuffing! (Hmmmm.....now what to do about the stuffing!)
Old 10-31-2003, 06:31 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernMama
Stats: 346/241/160ish
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/6/03
I just mix canned pumpkin, a little heavy cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar twin, and top with crushed pecans and brown sugar twin and dot with butter.
SouthernMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 07:36 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Here's one recipe I think I will try real soon. I THINK I got this off the Low Carb Luxury site:

Sweet Potato Casserole

Sweet potatoes?! On a low-carb diet?! Many of us miss the flavor of sweet potatoes in casseroles and more - especially in the Fall. The good news is that by adding just 1/2 cup of real baked sweet potato to a couple of more carb-friendly relatives (pumpkin and squash), we can extend the dish and fool the tastebuds! A finishing sprinkling of our low-carb marshmallows and you'll think you're cheating - but you're NOT!

Ingredients:
1 small sweet potato
(baked, cooled and mashed to make 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1 medium summer squash
(halved, seeded, baked and mashed to make 1 cup)
4 eggs
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 stick butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
Dash of allspice
Dash of cloves
1/2 cup Splenda®
1 tsp Brown Sugar Twin®
4 drops of yellow and 1 drop red food color [optional]
Marshmallows for topping (See Low Carb Marshmallows recipe)

Prepare sweet potato and squash to their recipe ready condition as listed above. Ingredients should be room temperature. Preheat oven to 325°F.
Butter a 9-12" casserole dish.

In large mixing bowl, stir together mashed sweet potato, pumpkin, and mashed squash (any summer squash is acceptable here). If some lumps remain, don't worry about it - they add a little character to the dish! In a separate bowl beat eggs with xanthan gum, Splenda and Brown Sugar Twin. Add heavy cream and mix (with hand mixer) until well mixed and beginning to thicken.

Add egg/cream mixture to sweet potato mixture and stir by hand to mix lightly. Add salt, spices and food color (if you wish to use it.) Mix to distribute. You may wish to taste here for your sweetness and spice preference. If more is needed, add it now.

Spoon mixture into buttered casserole dish and smooth to even out. Cut remainder of 1/2 stick butter (after using some to butter dish) into thin pats and distribute them over top of casserole. Optionally, you can sprinkle a bit of extra cinnamon on top. Bake for 35-45 minutes until browned at edges and cracking a bit. Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes before sprinkling with marshmallows.

NOTE: You can top this dish with artificially sweetened meringue instead of marshmallows if you prefer. If you use meringue, give the dish a few moments under the broiler to brown the meringue tips before serving.

40 grams carbs (allowing for fiber) in entire recipe.
Makes 6 servings. 6.5 grams per serving.

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. (2 Chr 16:9 KJV)
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 07:09 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: soontobesexy'ntx
Stats: 208/206/???
WOE: HCG/OWL plan
Start Date: which time??
Dressing

Use LC Bread toasted then your seasonings?
chicken stock (legal)
eggs (legal)
spices (legal)
onion (legal)
celery (legal)
can someone make a sample batch and come up with a recipe for us??
soontobesexy'ntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:19 AM   #9
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Human Yo Yo
Stats: 220/196/150
WOE: Lean for Life
Start Date: Jan. 8 2003
Re: Dressing

Quote:
Originally posted by soontobesexy'ntx
Use LC Bread toasted then your seasonings?
chicken stock (legal)
eggs (legal)
spices (legal)
onion (legal)
celery (legal)
can someone make a sample batch and come up with a recipe for us??
I found this recipe on the "HOLIDAY MENU" thread at the top:

Old Fashioned Dressing for Turkey

1 loaf of Atkins Country White Bread, dried and cubed
2 slices Low Carb Whole Wheat Bread, dried and cubed
2 Cups chopped celery
1 C diced onion
½ C butter
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 ½ teaspoons dried sage
¼ C fresh parsley, chopped finely
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 egg
½ Cup chicken broth

Sauté onion and celery until tender. Add to bread cubes in large bowl. Add seasonings and mix well. Beat egg in with the broth and pour over top of crumbs, tossing until mixed well.
Human Yo Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 11:20 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nikki2777
Looking for a Sweet Potatoe recipe for Thanksgiving... have to try the Faux Sweet Potatoes. Thanks for the recipes.

Nikki
Nikki2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 02:10 PM   #11
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: ellie125
Stats: Size 18/12/10
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: January 03
I tried the Faux Sweet Potato recipe today, made it for lunch to share with other LC'rs in my office. It came out pretty good but it tasted more like pumpkin pie than sweet potatos. The streusel topping was really good, will add some chopped pecans next time I make it. I served it with ham and mixed veggies.
ellie125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 03:19 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nessyrae
Stats: 299/239.6/???
WOE: Lower Carb WW
When these recipes call for "a can of pumpkin" or "two cans of pumpkin"...how many oz are these cans of pumpkin...thanks!
nessyrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 12:24 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jenifer_in_CA
Start Date: 6/28/04
Has anyone else tried the faux sweet potatoes made with pumpkin?

I waited until the last minute and don't have time for a trial run!

Thanks!!

I think I will be making this recipe:

Faux Sweet Potato Casserole

1 can pumpkin puree
1 egg
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 pinch salt

Topping:
1/4 cup ground pecans
1 tablespoon butter -- softened
1 pinch cinnamon
1 tablespoon protein powder - omitted and it turned out fine

Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix first 6 ingredients together and put into a small casserole dish. Mix topping ingredients and sprinkle over the pumpkin in the casserole dish. Bake until warmed through and topping has set a bit, about 15 mins. Serving Size: 4 Per serving: 152 Calories (kcal); 13g Total Fat; (73% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 70mg Cholesterol; 141mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates NOTES : This tastes just like pumpkin pie! 5g carb per serving (7g carb / 2 g fiber) per Mastercook
Jenifer_in_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 01:42 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jenifer_in_CA
Start Date: 6/28/04
Sorry, but I have to bump this.
Jenifer_in_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
bumping
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Chipotle "Sweet Potatoes"

I have a not-so-traditional Chipotle "Sweet Potato" dish that uses fresh pumpkin that is quite good. In fact it's going to appear in Jen Eloff's upcoming cookbook! I'm so tickled about that. This dish is so good I fix it often throughout the year, with a variety of meat/seafood dishes.

I clipped this recipe out of the Houston Post many years ago. I have personally never been very fond of sweet potatoes, unless baked into pies, cakes and muffins. But ever since finding this recipe ( which I found not only good………… it’s the only way I’ll eat sweet potatoes as a side dish). This is NOT your granny’s traditional sweet potatoes. Chipotle peppers are highly smoked jalapenos and taste nothing like green jalapeno peppers IMO. They, in combination with the lime zest add a most unique “twist” to this popular vegetable dish more commonly seasoned with orange. My brother was an Executive Chef at one time and just raved about this dish the time I served it to him. He now serves it to many of his own house guests and at holidays, to his Englis-as-a-second-language class of all Latino students. They like it as well! I serve it every year during the holidays now. It has become tradition in our house. It’s also wonderful with BBQ beef, pork, and baked or char-broiled fish/seafood!

The flavor combination of lime, smoky chipotles and maple extract (substituted for brown sugar in the original recipe) is a real winner! To make this dish Atkins Induction acceptable, I have substituted 100% fresh cooked pumpkin flesh for the sweet potatoes. Could hardly tell a difference, other than the color is more golden than orange, thus the addition of red food coloring to correct color aesthetics. Once you reach the starchy veggie rung of OWL, I would recommend just using only 1½ lb. pumpkin and adding 1 lb. cooked sweet potato for both flavor, color and smoother texture. You will need to adjust nutritional info if you make that change.

This dish does not freeze well. Pumpkin in general does not freeze well, as water separates out and can mess with the dish’s texture upon defrosting. I have found through experience this ater bleeding happens whether you freeze fresh OR canned pumpkin.

INGREDIENTS:

2½ lb. cooked fresh pumpkin (do not substitute canned!)
½ c. heavy cream
4 T. butter
¼ tsp. salt
2 T. fresh lime juice
zest of 1 large lime (2 if they are small)
½ c. granular Splenda
1 tsp. maple extract
1 tsp. cinnamon
1-2 chipotle peppers (canned, in adobo sauce) seeded, rinsed & chopped
6-8 drops red food coloring to achieve orange color of sweet potatoes

DIRECTIONS: Cut a small 4-5 lb. pumpkin in half. Remove seeds (you can roast them for eating BTW) and turn cut side down into baking pan. Fill pan with 1″ water and bake pumpkin at 350º until tender when fork is stuck into it (about 45 minutes). Remove and cool enough to handle. Scoop/scrape the pumpkin flesh out of skin/shell and weigh out 2½ lb of pumpkin for recipe (freeze any remaining for future baking use). Whip pumpkin with electric mixer or food processor to get it as smooth as possible. Add all remaining ingredients except chipotle peppers. These little skoagies are HOT, so special handling is required. Either wear plastic gloves (homemade “sandwich bag gloves” will do) or be sure you wash your hands very well after handling. Take 1 chipotle pepper (1½ long) out of the can. Rinse, and remove seeds with a knife. Finely mash/chop the pepper almost into a puree on a flat surface. Add to mixture, stir well and taste to see if this is hot enough. You don’t want to get this dish too hot, but a little tingle on the tongue is what you’re looking for. If you want even more smoky taste or a hotter dish, carefully repeat with ½ pepper more, retasting, and ½ pepper more if you like things super hot. If you add pepper in stages like this, you won’t ruin the whole batch getting it too hot (I did one time). Never forget not everyone at the table like things as hot as YOU do!

Stir well and pour into buttered glass baking dish. Sprinkle with a dash more cinnamon for looks and bake at 350º for 20-30 minutes.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serves 8, each serving contains:

114 calories
7.6 g fat
12.0 g carbs
4.0 g fiber
2.0 g protein
121 mg. sodium
8 g NET CARBS