Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2003, 01:37 PM   #1
MichD

Gallery: MichD
Low Carb Crackers?

I'm looking for store bought low carb crackers. Can anyone recommend a Brand name cracker.
Are crackers from WASA ok?

Any suggestions would help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2003, 02:31 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 31, 2003
The crackers made by Cheeter's are pretty good - especially the cinnamon ones, but they're very hard to find. I ordered them from the web site here - netrition.

A better tasting cracker to me is really not a cracker, but I use them like crackers. Atkins Crunchers are really tasty and thick enough to use like crackers, even though they're packaged like chips. All flavors are great - original, sour cream, nacho, & barbeque. And you can find them more easily.

I don't know the answer about WASA.
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 03:48 PM   #3
MCmom

Gallery: MCmom
Health Valley makes an all natural, whole wheat cracker. I can't remember the exact carb count, but I know it was relatively low.

I happen to have some crackers right now in the cupboard, made by ak-mak Bakeries. They are stone ground, whole wheat, sesame crackers (all natural ingredients). After deducting fiber, it's about 3 carbs per cracker (it's a good sized cracker too).

MaryC
Old 10-27-2003, 11:40 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
Wasa Crackers are great! Just check for the one with the lowest carb count. I like them with slices of salami warmed in the microwave with a bit of cheddar and a tomato slice. Mini Pizza!
auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 01:21 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Meowser
Stats: 164/150/150
WOE: Lower carb & "Eating clean"
Start Date: 1/31/14
WASA Fiber Rye!
Meowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 04:08 AM   #6
Cake Lover

Gallery: chefchick66
Stats: 14/6-8/Solid 6
WOE: Eating to Run and Running to EAT!
Start Date: August 2002
Count me in as another Wasa cracker fan! I used to use the Sourdough Rye, until I noticed that the Fiber Rye has a few less carbs in them...only 5 net.

Dana Carpenter has quite a few "cracker" recipes in her "500 LC Recipes" book. I haven't tried them, but they sound tasty!
chefchick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 07:03 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: NorthernNisse
Stats: 234/180/180 5'7.5"
WOE: Atkins '72
I would also recommend the Wasa Lite Rye. As far as I know, it is the lowest carb cracker out there. One cracker is large...equal to at least 4 smaller crackers. Very healthy too!

Josie
NorthernNisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 08:52 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Latasha
Stats: 14/10/6; 174/161/140; 5'8"
WOE: All natural, no frankenfood, 20-30carbs/day
Just a word of warning...

Last night I made a new recipe for garlic crackers from the AtkinsCenter website. Don't make them, they are AWFUL!!!

*shudders in horror*
Latasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 01:14 PM   #9

Gallery:
I was at a health food store, and I found rye crackers (sorry, I threw the box out so I don't have the brand name) next to Wasa crackers. These are thin, very crispy, tastey crackers with 7g carbs for 3 of them. One is about 1" wide, 3" long. Mmmm, I have to get more...
Old 10-28-2003, 01:34 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abbyalex
I get Scandanavian Bran Crisps at GNC that have 3g carbs and 3g fiber each which equals ZERO net carbs!
I love them, they are very light and crunchy, they are basically bran all stuck together. They're great with sany kind of spread.
abbyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 01:00 AM   #11
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: argo2d
Quote:
Originally posted by abbyalex
I get Scandanavian Bran Crisps at GNC that have 3g carbs and 3g fiber each which equals ZERO net carbs!
I love them, they are very light and crunchy, they are basically bran all stuck together. They're great with sany kind of spread.
uh are you sure about that? i think they might have already deducted fiber!
argo2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 05:37 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wheat16
Stats: 300/198/185
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/14/03
I like Cheeters, too.

The cinammon ones are great with cream cheese and a little Davinici's vanilla syrup mixed in. My other fav is the sesame cracker. Great with some hard cheese.
wheat16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 06:06 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
uh are you sure about that? i think they might have already deducted fiber!
What makes you think that? When I test my blood sugar after eating these, it's barely risen, so the numbers on the package appear to be right to me.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:00 AM   #14

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
What makes you think that? When I test my blood sugar after eating these, it's barely risen, so the numbers on the package appear to be right to me.
Even if they are 3 carbs each they wouldnt make your blood sugar rise significantly. It does seem odd that a cracker could be 0 net carbs. Have you checked for hidden carbs?....they may have already subtracted the fiber from the count. Here is the formula:

(total fat grams x 9) + (total protein grams x 4) + (total carbohydrate grams x 4) = total calories.

If the total does not equal calories, the difference is carbs.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 09:11 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Even if they are 3 carbs each they wouldnt make your blood sugar rise significantly
I am type 1 diabetic and test my blood sugar frequently. Even meat, eggs and cheese cause a slight increase in blood sugar after eating, although it's not a significant amount. Since going low carb, my blood sugar is VERY sensitive to everything I eat, so even a 0g carb snack should show an increase of about 10 pts. If these crackers had more carbs than that (i.e. 6g each as you suggest), and considering that I always eat 2 at a time, my rise in blood sugar would be more like 40-60 pts.

Regardless - - they're tasty and LC. Dig in!
Old 10-29-2003, 11:01 AM   #16

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
The ak mak crackers are awesome!
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 01:09 AM   #17
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: argo2d
Quote:
I am type 1 diabetic and test my blood sugar frequently. Even meat, eggs and cheese cause a slight increase in blood sugar after eating, although it's not a significant amount. Since going low carb, my blood sugar is VERY sensitive to everything I eat, so even a 0g carb snack should show an increase of about 10 pts. If these crackers had more carbs than that (i.e. 6g each as you suggest), and considering that I always eat 2 at a time, my rise in blood sugar would be more like 40-60 pts.

Regardless - - they're tasty and LC. Dig in!

can you post the nutritional info? i really highly doubt they're 0 carbs... and the previous post was right in saying that 3 carbs would not really affect blood sugar extraordinarily even for very sensitive people... especially if they're not sugar carbs
argo2d is offline   Reply With Quote