Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2003, 06:57 PM   #61
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: beetgreen
Stats: 313/274.8/175
WOE: WW
Start Date: Starting again 7/10/07
Quote:
Originally posted by LindaSue
I used 1/4 teaspoon liquid Splenda and it was fine.
Can you tell me where to buy liquid Splenda?

Thanks,
beetgreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2003, 07:45 PM   #62
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I got my counts from the USDA site. I've also noticed some problems with some of Bob's Red Mill counts where the fiber was higher than the total carbs (xanthan gum, for example), so I decided to be cautious and use the USDA count. The carbs are still very low so I'm not worried about it.

If you go to the Menus page of my site, there's a link to TrishZ's site where she sells liquid Splenda and WPI.
LindaSue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 10:16 PM   #63
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 262/233/165
WOE: Low carb, Atkins, more H2O
Start Date: Restart 7/3/14
errrrrrrrr just thought of something, can i have this on induction if i use just the wpi, and not the nut flour?
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 03:41 AM   #64

nurseypoo5, I think you would probably do ok with eating half a piece for a couple of carbs, but the idea behind induction is to rid yourself of the need for sweets. I'd recommend waiting a bit before making low carb desserts like this. It's probably best to save your 20 carbs per day for more nutrient dense foods like salad and veggies.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:31 PM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: NorthernNisse
Stats: 234/180/180 5'7.5"
WOE: Atkins '72
This was a very very bad thing for me to try! I drizzled homemade SF chocolate sauce on it....and ate the whole thing.

Josie
NorthernNisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 09:35 AM   #66
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: kapaw
Stats: 5' 3.5" 174.0/174.0/135 Size: 16/16/6-8
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 31, 2005
[color=deeppink] I would love to try this before Thanksgiving next week. Can you buy almond flour already made or are you grinding up the almonds finely and using that? [/color]
kapaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 03:05 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nikki2777
Almond Flour

I got my Almond Flour from Whole Foods. The first time I was there they did not have Bob's Red Mill in stock. So, I bought their (Whole Foods) organic almond flour. It worked fine in the cake.

Last week-end I got Bob's Red Mill but haven't tried it yet.

Nikki
Nikki2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 03:29 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: roche
This 3 minute cake saved me today! I was eyeballing the fudge stripe cookies in the pantry........and I decided to make the 3 minute chocolte cake! I ate it with some whipping cream.

It just saved me from falling off of a four day lc wagon!

Thanks for the recipe, roche
roche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 03:37 PM   #69
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
Wow, this is good! I just made it, and it is not even entirely cooled yet, but I sampled. I put a chocolate/coffee/vanilla whipped cream made in my ISI whipped cream maker (mousse) on top. And it is fast.
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 06:26 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eggo525
I am really glad to find this quick recipe. And there is enough for at least two servings. My grandkids will think this is great fun!
I made the one with the almond flour and WPI. I topped it with a spoonful of sweetened yo-cheese.
It was good, but I would like it better if it was less spongy.
1 min and 10 secs may be too long for my microwave.
Would the addition of a little cakeability give it a fluffier cake texture?
I think I will try dividing it up next time and making it in two ramekins.
eggo525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 04:35 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: froggyx6
bump
froggyx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 04:11 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ally38506
Stats: 168/153/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I made this today, using the original recipe. Ate maybe a third of it. Wasn't too bad! My question is this....what is the weird aftertaste from? Is it the almond flour? Do ya'll know what I'm talking about?
Ally38506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 04:37 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: froggyx6
I made the rum/coconut version last night. I'm out of almond flour right now so I used macadamia nut flour. I divided it into two custard cups so DH and I could each have one. It was delicious!!! I have almond flour on order but have coconut flour and pecan flour I want to try. I'm also looking forward to trying the WPI version. Thanks for the recipe.

Beverly
froggyx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 07:18 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: llmoyer123
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1 november 2003
so......

i read through all the posts for the 3-minute cake and i have to ask: is there a consensus, now that it's been worked over and tweaked and perfected, on what the "perfect" recipe is?

i'd like to use davinci's and i don't have almond flour (do i need to go buy it for this)?

can someone post their opinion of the best way to make this cake?

thanks,
llmoyer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 07:37 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eggo525
What is Twist?

In the first post by LCS, the frosting was made of Twist and cream cheese. What is Twist?
eggo525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 08:02 PM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
I just got some Twist at Cost Plus World Market and it is a sugar-free chocolate spread. I haven't tried it yet. And don't really know what to even use it for. Ha! I had just heard a few people mention it so I picked up one. Also, got two more bottles of the best maple syrup I've tasted yet. The brand is Joseph's and I also got it at Cost Plus World Market. It is soooooo good. Makes the best french toast yet. Made with maltitol though so watch and don't eat too much.

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. (2 Chr 16:9 KJV)
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 05:55 AM   #77

llmoyer123, I've only made it 3-4 times, once with all almond flour, the second time with all WPI and the third time with half almond flour and half WPI. I think I liked the half and half one best. The WPI only version didn't raise very well. I also think the flavor is better when it's not all WPI.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:33 AM   #78

Gallery: momacat
llmoyer123 - I don't think that there is one perfect way to make this cake...there's alot of variations! There's another thread going on about these cakes...3 minute vanilla cakes...more variations.

I've been using the DaVinci's in this receipe and it works wonderfully!
momacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 08:25 AM   #79
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Darkfire
Stats: 319/256/137
WOE: Organic, Lowerish Carb, Gluten Free
Start Date: June 1 09
Well I finally tried it, it works. Thats pretty neat. I halved the recipe and didn't have any baking powder that was viable but it was not sweet enough and my frosting never got frosty so I poured some cream over it and added some splenda. Too many carbs this way for induction but it was pretty good. I'm feeling the drag though of too many carbs. But better this than a 50 carb candy bar or something. Thanks for the recipe.
Darkfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 04:28 AM   #80
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 262/233/165
WOE: Low carb, Atkins, more H2O
Start Date: Restart 7/3/14
just made this this morning..my cheese cake was a bit old tasting after day 5....but made this and my home smelled delishes! i ate the whole thing with out topping, about 4 carbs max, since i used liquid splenda thanks for this! i felt decadent!
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 08:19 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glamrgrl2b
Stats: 204/184/165
WOE: Atkins my way
I've been tweaking this recipe also. Today I wanted it to be more choclatey and rich so I subbed 1 TBSP heavy cream for the water, 2 TBSP cocoa poweder instead of 1 and 2 TBSP splenda. This is not very sweet this way but while it is warm I spread 1-2 TSP of low carb strawberry spread (La Nouri brand-found it at a low carb specialty store) and drizzle with a little more cream-OMG it was awesome. I think I'll try one with chunks of SF chocolate bar in it-did anyone else try that yet?

Phila Eagles Fan since 1979
"Go Iggles!"

I can do all things thru Christ...
glamrgrl2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 09:45 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lifer
Stats: Unhealthy/better/best
WOE: Low carb, real food.
Start Date: May, 2009
2 Questions

Just tried this tonight for the first time. Had to make 3 of them! One for DH, one for DD and one for me. Still working on the tweaks (sweetener) with what I have available to lessen carbs. I do have a question though (LindaSue, where are you?). I see that the almond flour is consistantly shown as having 2 grams of carbs. I have Bob's Red Mill almond meal/flour and it lists the carbs at 6 per 1/4 cup with 3g fiber for a net count of 3 carbs per 1/4 cup (the amount called for in the recipe). Why the discrepency? Is it that USDA thing again?

I have to say that this cake is truly awesome. How could something this good be this easy and quick to make????
My grandson's b-day is next Saturday and we've been in a dilemma as to what to do about b-day cake. All of my family (except the b-day boy ) are lc'ing. This definitely solves the problem of what to fix for a cake but this brings me to my second question. Has anyone tried making this in an oven or significantly increasing the batter amount and microwaving it? (Hate to waste the ingredients finding out if it doesn't work out) I need enough cake to feed 6 adults and a little boy. The beauty of this recipe is that it is so quick and easy so if I have to do individual cakes it will still probably take less time than making a "regular" cake would!

Ya gotta love this woe!
Karen
Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 07:09 AM   #83

Lifer, you're right, I go by the USDA counts whenever possible. It gets a bit tricky, though when some people weigh and some people use measuring cups. I usually weigh my ingredients for the most accuracy, but also try to include the equivalent in cups or as close as I can get. I'm not going to worry about 1/2 carb here or there though.

The USDA site says that 1 ounce of almonds has 2.25 effective carbs. 1 cup ground almonds or 3.25 ounces has 7.55 effective carbs. So, 1/4 cup almond meal would have 1.88 effective carbs, but I guess I decided to just make it an even ounce for simplicity's sake, although that would really have a little over 2 carbs. To me, it's close enough for such a little bit in the recipe.

Since no two people are going to pack the same amount of almond meal in their measuring cup, I think we just need to go with the closest round number, which I would put at 2 carbs per 1/4 cup/1 ounce.

By the way, when I calculate the carbs for my recipes, I do use the exact numbers (up to 2 decimal places) from the USDA site without rounding them up or down, until I get a total for the entire recipe. Once I have the total, I then round the number up or down to the nearest 1/2 carb. Anything that comes out to #.26 or higher, gets rounded up to #.5. Anything #.25 and lower, gets rounded down to the nearest whole number. Numbers over #.75 are rounded up to the nearest whole number. I figure that doing it this way is close enough and keeps the numbers simple.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:31 PM   #84
Senior LCF Member

God bless you, TANatPATS!! I've been going around all day trying to work this out in my mind. How can I connect all those little cakes into a b-day cake that doesn't look like something from the skiffy (SciFi) channel? Thanks for the tip about the eggs. Not having a lot of improv experience, I'm sure I would have put the full amount in! Thanks also for the cooking temp tips. I'm sure I would have cooked it at a higher temp than you suggested. You've saved me untold amounts of trouble and who knows how much $$$$.
I'm thinking german chocolate frosting made with a Twist/cream cheese combo (as suggested by an earlier poster) with coconut and maybe a spoonful or two of coconut milk. I'm open to anyone's suggestions as to how else I might make this frosting since I'm trying to stay away from the sugar alcohols but can't control what's in the Twist. I have some erythritol (sp?) on order that is supposed to come in today. I plan to use this as my main sweetener.
LindaSue, thanks for 'splaining about the carb counts.

Abiding in Him,
Karen
Old 12-07-2003, 06:16 AM   #85
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CarolynC
Stats: 213/166/166
WOE: LC JUDDD
This cake is also great with 2 tbsp sour cream in place of the 2 tbsp butter. That cuts the calorie count of each cake down by about 150 calories
CarolynC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 08:47 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nana Susie
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8-2-08
I use the DaVinci German Choc. syrup in place of my water. I add a small portion of nuts and no sugar coconut and it is wonderful! The German Choc. icing sounds great!
Nana Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 12:33 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

TANatPATS, I made the full sized cake and it was awesome. However, I was tweaking left and right to find the right adjustments for the erythritol. I ended up using a mix of erythritol and diabetisweet. At first I made it too sweet so had to keep adding almond flour and baking powder. It was so cool to just take a little bit in a bowl and nuke it to see how the finished product was going to taste! I was able to get it just how I wanted it. It had a great texture...sort of like a cake brownie but denser maybe. I tried to find a recipe for german chocolate frosting but the ones I found called for evaporated milk and I was afraid to try and sub with something else (any suggestions? or perhaps a recipe with the adjustments already done?). I ended up using a chocolate buttercream recipe I got here by doing a search. I'm not sure what I did wrong. I think I nuked the butter too long (was supposed to be softened, not melted) because it was really runny. I didn't know what to do to fix it so I ended up adding some softened cream cheese (about 4 oz) and it was really yummy. The only problem I had with it was it had a gritty taste from the sweetener (erythritol/diabetisweet mix). No one complained though and DH and I just shared the last piece! A truly awesome cake no matter how you cook it!

I made the grandbaby angel's cake using the original 3 minute cake (with Splenda) in the microwave. I used raspberry DaVinci for the 1 Tbs of water and it gave it a nice pink color. I made the frosting out of powdered sugar/whipping cream/butter then frosted and decorated it just for him. It was so cute. I was able to get Happy Birthday Devin around the sides and had just enough room for his #3 candle on top. I threw on some little cake decorating candies. He loved it! His very own b-day cake.

Loving this life and woe,
Karen
Old 12-09-2003, 05:45 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BayAreaGal
OMG! OMG! I just made this and it tastes just like the real thing! This is unbelievably good. Thank you so much for this recipe!
BayAreaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 08:18 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Xylus
Stats: 150/138/130
WOE: all meat
Start Date: restarted 20th
I have to say this has become one of my favorite recipes. I also made a banana spice version. If I remember right, I think I substituted one tablespoon of butter with a tablespoon of banana (or might have been both) and omitted the cocoa and used some spices (dont remember amount, just guessed) for banana spice cake and some banana extract. It was terrific! I also want to do a carrot cake version. This is the best low carb cake I've ever had, it's light, soft and moist, not dense and dry like every other low carb cake I've made. I just can't believe the texture, it's like regular cake!
Xylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 09:38 AM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deannie
WOE: LC/allergies
Start Date: restarted Oct 4, 03
Have to say I just made this and it was delish! I don't have a microwave so I mixed it in the measuring cup put it in a non-stick sprayed Corning petite pan ( kind of looks like a Tupperware sq. round but shorter) and baked it a 350* for 20 minutes. Let it cool and frosted it with 2oz. cream cheese, 1 T. p.butter, 1 T. s/f Davinci's peanut butter syrup and it was so gooood! It came out with the texture of a real cake, not to soggy or dry. Now I'm gonna make one for DH when he get's home.
Deannie is offline   Reply With Quote