Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2002, 10:59 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Arcie
WOE: Moderate carbs
LoCarbMan....come in please....

Hi
I just read a thread about homemade LC ice cream in which you said you own a Cuisinart (BTW, they make great products) ice cream maker. Earlier today, I purchased the 1 1/2 qt. Cuisinart and I was wondering if you have some favorite LC recipes/tips you would be willing to share.....pleeeese
Thanks in advance for you help.
Arcie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2002, 02:03 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Hi Arcie,

TIPS:
KastaDiva recommends several tablespoons of lecithin granules to cut the heavy fat taste.

Dottie recommends 2oz of alcohol (like vodka) to keep the cream from freezing so hard in the freezer.

Auntie3 has recently posted some excellent ideas for making low carb ice cream.

I use 1/2 tsp. Xanthan Gum to improve texture...a hand mixer is important for blending in the xanthan gum as it sets up so quickly.

I have tried adding a packet of Knox Gelatin to help keep the cream from freezing so hard.

I have tried adding 2 beaten eggs to the mixture to make it more spoonable.

Nothing seems to keep it from freezing so hard...I usually just zap the frozen cream for 60 seconds in the microwave to make it more spoonable ;-)

I like it best when it's just removed from the ice cream maker and do my best not to have too much left to put in the freezer ;-)

Here is a simple 1.5 quart vanilla recipe that I adapted for my low carb use:

VANILLA ICE CREAM

Easy to make. Simply combine ingredients and freeze.

My Old Recipe:
2 cups heavy cream, chilled (13.2 carbs)
1 cup water (0 carbs)
1 cup Splenda Granular(24 carbs)
1/2 tsp xanthan gum (0 carbs-use for texture)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (1 carb)

My New Recipe (lowest carb ;-):
2 cups heavy cream, chilled (13.2 carbs)
1 cup DaVinci French Vanilla Syrup (0 carbs)
1/2 tsp xanthan gum (0 carbs-use for texture)

Place ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and combine until well blended. Turn the machine on, then pour mixture into the Cuisinart freezer bowl, let mix until mixture thickens, about 20-30 minutes...I've been mixing for 50-60 minutes till it gets real hard ;-) If desired, transfer ice cream to an airtight container and place in freezer until firm, about 2 hours. {I like to stir in frozen blueberries}
Old recipe has 38 carbs for 10 '1/2 cup' servings (3.8 carbs per serving.
New recipe has only 13.2 carbs for 10 '1/2 cup' servings (1.3 carbs per serving...lower than the commercial stuff ;-) Aren't those new Splenda syrups great? ;-)

VARIATIONS:

Creamy Coconut: Omit vanilla extract (old recipe) and add 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract. Add 1/4 cup shredded coconut during the last 5-10 minutes of freezing.

Mint Chip: Omit vanilla extract (old recipe) and add 1/2 teaspoon mint extract. Add 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (add carbs) during the last 5-10 minutes of freezing.

I have successfully used a packet of zero carb koolaid (lemonade, strawberry flavors) for additional variety.

I experimented with 3/4 cup isomalt and 1/2 tsp. Stevia to reduce the Splenda carbs in the old recipe but found the laxative effect was just too pronounced LOL! Don't need that in my ice cream ;-) At least, now I know what's in my cream and I can make it whenever I want...having lots of fun this summer! ;-) Hope this is what you were looking for!

Last edited by locarbman; 08-02-2002 at 02:38 PM..
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 02:12 PM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: dougieb
Somebody once mentioned adding some vegetable glycerin to the ice cream to keep it from freezing so hard in the freezer. I tried 1 tsp. in my last batch and it was still as hard as a rock.

The big ice cream mfg's add something to make the ice cream softer. I wish I knew what it was.

Doug
dougieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 02:56 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JazzyV
Stats: 265.5/238.4/185
WOE: Low Carb/Weight Watchers
Doug, I used the Keto chocolate ice cream mix last week. It suggested adding 1 Tablespoon of glycerin. I did and the ice cream is eatable right from the freezer. I don't know if it was the Keto mix itself, or the glycerin, that did that. I'll have to try adding the glycerin to one of the homemade recipes and see it it helps prevent it getting rock hard. The Keto icecream calls for skim milk, and they recommend not using something like half and half instead. The amount of carbs it adds is very small.
JazzyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 06:52 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

LoCarbMan...yes, that's what I was looking for. Thanks so much for sharing all that info. It sounds like, through trial and error, that you have found the secret. I also found Auntie3's post after I posted my message to you. Looks like I'm armed and ready to give that shiny new "toy" a try!

Thanks also to Doug and Jazzy for their input. Is this a great board, or what???
Old 08-03-2002, 07:07 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
It's the gums that manufacturers add that keeps it soft. Guar gum, xanthan gum or locust bean gum.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 09:38 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks all....one question: Where can I buy these "gums"? I don't ever remember seeing them in the grocery store.
Thanks!
Old 08-03-2002, 01:24 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Arcie,

Regarding 'gums' ;-) This thread may help:

http://www.pfangserver.com/bbs/showt...threadid=15316

Last edited by locarbman; 08-14-2002 at 08:48 PM..
Old 08-03-2002, 03:54 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Ahhh, yes, LoCarbMan..good info on that thread. You are so helpful and I really do appreciate it. I will check my local supermarkets and health food stores. I can't wait to try out some of your recipes....will let you know how they turn out
Thanks again!
P.S. Great photo.....that's some fish you got there...a real beauty!
Old 08-05-2002, 06:26 AM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thanks Jazzy! That's the information I was thinking about.

Thanks to LindaSue about the gum info also!!
Doug
Old 08-12-2002, 12:25 PM   #11
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Locarbman,

I used your "New" recipe with the Vanilla Davinci syrup. I added the xanthan gum and also 1 tblspn glycerin as Jazzy suggested.

The ice cream came out very good, and it was perfectly spoonable right from the freezer even after 2-3 days over the weekend.

But I only had enough heavy cream for 1/2 of the recipe so I used the rest with Half-n-Half. Next time I will use all heavy cream and maybe incorporate the lecithin granules as KD suggested.

Thanks all for your suggestions!

Doug
Old 08-12-2002, 01:22 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

LOL!!!

Congratulations! Thanks for the feedback!!! ;-)

I made this recipe yesterday...best batch yet ;-)

2c Heavy Whipping Cream (13.2 carbs)
1c Splenda Syrup (vanilla) (0 carbs = 40 tsp. sugar)
1/16 tsp. Sucralose powder (0 carbs = 37.5 tsp. sugar)
2 tbsp. vanilla extract (0.6 carbs)
3 egg yolks (0.3 carbs)
1/4tsp. Xanthan Gum (0 carbs)
1 tbsp. Lecithin Granules (0.5 carbs)

Total of 14.6 carbs. It had a good consistency, not too sweet, good vanilla flavor. Custard was a bit waxy tasting but was very good once frozen. It froze stiff in about 30 minutes in my Cuisinart...the ice cream all pulled out with the dasher ;-) After 2 hrs. in the freezer it was still spoonable and excellent tasting...not a bit grainy. I Froze the remainder ;-) overnight, set out on counter for 1 hour today, it was both spoonable and smooth...I recall having to let real ice cream thaw a bit before I could spoon it in the olden days lol!

I made the custard per Auntie3's directions...eliminating the egg whites made all the difference for me!

Happy Low Carbing! ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 08-14-2002 at 08:46 PM..
Old 08-12-2002, 01:37 PM   #13
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

LC Man,

I think we think alike... that's about what I had in mind for my next try.... plus maybe a little lemon zest fir a touch of bite to the vanilla.

I'll print that out and give it a try.

I don't have any of the full strenth sucralose, but I have some splenda and 0 carb cyclamates sweetener (Sucaryl) a Buddy in Canada mailed to me. I like to mix different sweeteners together and see how the blend works. They say it can have an exponential sweetening effect and produce a more true sugar type sweetening character... I can't say that my palate can tell the difference really, although I know I prefer a higher percentage of Splenda/sucralose in the mix than sucaryl or saccharine.

Too much sucaryl can give a salty taste and too much saccharine can leave a bitter aftertaste.

Thanks, Man!

Hey, should we be planning an Alaska fishing trip or what?

Doug

Coho Salmon on the Deshka River, Alaska - June, 1998

Last edited by dougieb; 08-12-2002 at 01:42 PM..
Old 08-13-2002, 07:01 AM   #14
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally posted by locarbman

1c Splenda Syrup (vanilla) (0 carbs = 40 tsp. sugar)
1/16 tsp. Sucralose powder (0 carbs = 37.5 tsp. sugar)
2 tbsp. vanilla extract (0.6 carbs)
3 egg yolks (0.3 carbs)
1 tbsp. Lecithin Granules (0.5 carbs)
I made this last night. Did you really use 2 *Tablespoons* of vanilla extract? I think 2-3 teaspoons would be plenty for me.

You are so right about adding the egg yolks for a custard style ice cream... very rich and creamy. I blended the cream, sweetener (I used splenda and sucaryl), x. gum and glycerin, and then the egg yolks, and then heated it on the stove until it was hot and a little thickened, but not boiling (just to cook the eggs a little because I don't want my little girl eating raw eggs yet). Then I added the Davinci syrup and put it in the freezer, stirring it every 1/2 hour until it was really cold, almost to freezing before I put it in my little Maverick ice cream maker.

I added 1 Tblspn glycerin and 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum, but I don't have any lecithin yet. Still, an excellent ice cream. Thanks for the tips and the new recipe!

Doug

Last edited by dougieb; 08-13-2002 at 07:03 AM..
Old 08-13-2002, 10:19 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Doug,

Yeah, I really used 2 tablespoons...taste's better to me...flavors tend to diminish when frozen. flavors that seem almost overpowering in the custard seem quite muted in the finished product...to me ;-)

I just finished some mint chip ice cream using the basic recipe with Peppermint Paddy syrup, only 1 teaspoon pepperment flavoring ;-) and 1/2 cup mini carob chips that I got from Frankferd farms a while ago. I used a little more sucralose this time. Nice green color and wonderful flavor. Just 3 hours from start to finish, might even be quicker if I use your suggestion of putting it in the freezer.

Sounds like your becoming a real purist lol! I'm a bit impatient and made this batch by heating the cream, adding the egg yokes while whipping with a hand mixer. I reheated the cream then added the syrup, sucralose, xanthan gum, and lecithin all while using the hand mixer. I put the mixture in one of those Good Cook brand covered plastic bowls (4 cup size) which can be shaken rather than having to stir the mix (less messy ;-) I put it in the refrigerator for 2 hours...it was cool, and then into the mixer. It took a bit longer to freeze (about 45 minutes) but turned out just as creamy and tasty as the vanilla. I find that letting the freezer run till the ice cream on top stops moving and the bowl seems to spin without the ice cream sticking to the sides is the perfect time to remove the cream...it's so cold that it doesn't drip off the dasher which can be cleaned (and tasted ;-) with a spoon. Clean up is a breeze...I don't worry about the rime in the bowl...just run hot water into the bowl until it's dissolved and quickly towel off the water before replacing the bowl in the freezer. Getting this process down to a science lol!

That glycerin suggestion sounds good. I have a bottle of Torani Chocolate syrup w/Splenda (glycerin based) that I'm going to give a try soon perhaps with a square of dark chocolate melted in the cream for additional flavor...will let you know how it turns out.

If we keep going, we may have to open a roadside ice cream stand for fishing trip money lol! Those are pretty nice Coho! My supermarket had a seafood sale last month. I purchased 10 Sockeye that I fileted, brined, smoked, and canned for football season snacks...can't go to Alaska every year...just in my dreams! ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 08-14-2002 at 08:47 PM..
Old 08-13-2002, 11:06 AM   #16
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Alaska is great, isn't it? On the Deshka, I caught my limit of 3 coho in about 20 minutes. Then we ate lunch and used the same light gear to fish catch and release for chinook. I hooked and fought 10 blackmouth that afternoon, all ran 15-60 pounds. A 60 pound chinook on 10-12 lb. test is quite an experience!

That mint chocolate chip sounds awesome. That's what DW really likes so I'll have to give it a try too. I have some sf/lc chocolate chips I can use.

I have to get my custard mix very close to freezing or it won't ever freeze in the little Maverick ice cream maker I have. It has the bowl you pre-freeze in the freezer like Cuisinart but it doesn't stay cold for very long at all.

Thanks again!

Doug
Old 08-13-2002, 11:33 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

LOL! If you do a good job on the mint chip, the DW may give you a Cuisinart for your birthday ;-)

I've been to Alaska 4 times now, ('91,'93,'95,'01) Mostly fish from the rocks at Mountain Point, Ketchikan. Spend about 2 months (fishing every day ;-) Limit's are 6 for Coho and Pink, 2 for Chinook, and 2 for halibut (caught an 88 pounder in '95...sure are big and good eating ;-) Usually end up with about 150 salmon, mostly Pink, some Coho, and 1-2 Chinook. Spend rainy days processing/canning my catch, bring home about 25 cases of smoked salmon...when I get home, I find I have a lot more friends than I knew lol! At $200 for a day trip in the boat with no guarantee of a catch and 2 months to fish, I spend most of my time on the shore. I park my camp trailer above the fishing rocks and go to town about once a week for water, food, and a dump ;--). People ask why I don't go further north, but man! Ketchikan has everything I want right there...scenery, native culture, bears, heron, eagles, and SALMON. I can appreciate the thrill of using light tackle...At first, I was so greedy that I used only 30# Spiderwire ;-) I now use light gear and am just as successful but have more fun ;-)

Thanks for bringing back the memories!
Old 08-15-2002, 11:53 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Doug,

The Torani (glycerin based) chocolate syrup worked better than the DaVinci syrup for ice cream.

CHOCOLATE:
1c Torani Syrup (gly/choc.40t.sug, 0 carbs)
1/4 tsp. Sucralose pwdr. (150t.sug, 0 carbs)
4 sq. (foilwrap=2sq.)Hershey's Unsweetened Baking Chocolate (8 carbs(4carb less 2 fiber/sq.))
2 egg yolks (0.2 carbs)
1 tbsp Lecithin Granules (0.5 carbs)

Total of 21.9 carbs for 3 cups.

I placed the 2 foil wrapped (remove the foil ;-) bars of chocolate in the cold cream. They melted as I stirred the warming cream but didn't really mix up till I used the hand mixer. I cooled the mix overnight...seems to work better than using immediately ;-) After 30 minutes in the maker, it hadn't frozen as stiff as the DaVinci (probably due to the glycerine) but was perfect for serving. The rime came out with a wooden spoon (didn't pre-spray with pam). The taste is excellent, just like the commercial stuff I remember. I couldn't really tell a difference between using 3 or 2 egg yolks. Am going to get more of the Torani syrups...just for ice cream because, as you recommended, the glycerine seems to help make a softer ice cream. Thanks to you and JazzyV! ;-)

***UPDATE***

3/7/03 I've just noticed that the Torani lable has been changed and that they no longer add glycerine to their syrups... ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 03-07-2003 at 11:26 AM..
Old 08-15-2002, 12:06 PM   #19
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Dang. That sounds really good! I made some of Dottie's chocolate sauce and put it on my vanilla ice cream last night and it was quite good, too.

There are some yummy sauce recipes on BluOrchid2's thread in here about needing a recipe for Hershey Syrup.

I'll have to check out those Torani syrups.

Thanks!

Oh, I also noticed that my last batch got harder in the freezer when I used 100% heavy cream as opposed to the previous batch that used 1/2 heavy cream and 1/2 Half and Half. But I like the richness of the 100% heavy cream recipe with egg yolks.

Doug
Old 08-18-2002, 11:59 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Hi again,

I just finished reading Auntie3's latest post to louloo's thread which describes the function of egg yolks as emulsifiers...this is the same function performed by lecithin granules. Perhaps, those who do not wish to use egg yolks (with the extra effort to separate, beat and heat them), would get the same results by adding additional lecithin. I'm going try replacing the egg yolks with 3 tbsp. of lecithin granules in my next 'creation' ;-) Auntie3's information says that heavy cream doesn't need to be heated, as does milk and/or half-half to eliminate lactose crystals. This would sure simplify the process for me...and solve the problem of what to do with those extra egg whites ;-)

PS: Her source confirms that heavy cream will always freeze a bit harder...

Last edited by locarbman; 08-18-2002 at 01:33 PM..
Old 08-19-2002, 06:57 AM   #21
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Well, I think I have struck gold with this last batch of Mint Chococlate Chip. Holy Crap! Sinfully good.

I did:

2 cups heavy cream
1 cup Davinci Peppermint Paddy sf syrup
10 drops green food coloring (optional)
2/3 cup Splenda (or equivalent)
3 egg yolks
1 Tablespoon lecithin granules
2 Tablespoons glycerin
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon peppermint oil/extract
1/2 cup sf mini choc. chips

I beat the eggs and added them to the cream, then blended in the Splenda and glycerin. I used 1/2 of the Davinci syrup to blend (in a mini food processor) the xanthan gum to a gummy paste, then added it and the remaining 1/2 of the syrup to the mix. I held back 1/2 cup of the cream and blended the lecithin granules up real well in the mini food processor too, and then added it in to the mix.

I heated the mix on the stove on medium heat in a saucepan, stirring fairly constantly until it reached a steamy temp of 160-180 degrees farhenheit on a candy thermometer.

Then I stirred in the food coloring and peppermint oil. I put the whole thing in the freezer, checking it and stirring it all together every 30 minutes. It keeps a skin and lumps from forming. After a few hours it was about 1/4 frozen and I put it into my ice cream maker. When the ice cream was nearly as hard as I liked, I put in the 1/2 cup of mini choc. chips and let it freeze another 10 minutes.

I pulled it out and it was awesome. I put the rest in the freezer and it has remained completely spoonable right from the freezer. I'm thinking even a little less glycerin, like 1 Tablespoon plus 1-2 teaspoons next time.

But this stuff is rich and creamy and very decadent. As good or better than anything in the store and low carb to boot. This is DW's fav ice cream and she can't believe how good it is.

Yummy!

Thanks to all those who have posted tips that led me to this awesome creation!!! Locarbman, Jazzy, Suzie, Auntie 3, and so on and so on...

Doug

Last edited by dougieb; 08-19-2002 at 07:00 AM..
Old 08-19-2002, 09:04 AM   #22
paulinex

Gallery: paulinex
Ok you guys, you better cut this out. You're making me drool!

I was hoping to figure out the 'secret' of great LC spoonable ice cream, but it seems you may have saved me some gray hair.

Where do I get lecithin granules and glycerin. When I did the search on glycerin I just get soap ingredients. Is it that glycerin?

I'm not sure if this is a curse or a blessing

Pauline
Old 08-19-2002, 09:22 AM   #23
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Pauline,

As it turns out, the vegetable glycerin I use is in a gallon jug and DW and I had it on hand for soapmaking. You need to make sure it is food grade before you buy it for ice cream or any other recipe for human consumption.

I have seen others here post about finding glycerin in the cake making/decorating area of the grocery store or in health food stores.

My local Fred Meyer gorcery store had lecithin granules in bulk. They also had it in cannisters in their health food section.

Doug
Old 08-19-2002, 09:25 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Pauline,
My source of glycerine at present is in the form of Torani Sugar Free Syrups (glycerine based) sweetened with Splenda. Dougieb may be able to advise on where to obtain the vegetable glycerine...thought it might be available at pharmacies or health food stores...haven't looked yet...have 3 batches cooling in the fridge now! ;-)

PS: Guess my source for lecithin granules was deleted by the moderator...perhaps they will allow vit...(whatever).com to remain ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 09-02-2002 at 12:53 PM..
Old 08-19-2002, 09:56 AM   #25
paulinex

Thanks,

Locarbman and Dougie!

The local food/health stores on the 'other coast' aren't as progressive as yours out there.

I'll order the Lechithin from vit..(whatever).com and redo the search for the glycerine and make sure I'm getting the right stuff.

Thanks so much for your quick replies.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:28 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Pauline,

Vegetable glycerine is also available at vit..(whatever ;-).com...I just ordered 4 16oz bottles (to beat the shipping charge ;-)

PS: Here is a good site for information on glycerine:

http://www.sdahq.org/oleo/whygly2.html

Last edited by locarbman; 01-21-2003 at 04:04 AM..
Old 08-19-2002, 01:43 PM   #27
paulinex

thx locarbman (what do they call you for short, hehe). I'll do the same (order from the one source).

I always enjoy reading your posts. Although sometimes I admit, when you get technical whew, right over my head!

Thx again, you've been a wealth of low carb information this week.

Regards,
Pauline
Old 08-26-2002, 12:30 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Doug,

My glycerine came today ;-). I rushed to make some instant (almost ;-)strawberry ice cream to test it out:

STRAWBERRY:
2c heavy cream (13.2 carbs)
1c Torani Sugar Free Strawberry Syrup (0 carbs, = 40t sugar)
2T lecithin (1 carb)
1/16t salt (0 carbs)
1t liquid Splenda (0 carbs, = 192t sugar) [too sweet, 1/2t better]
1/4t Xanthan Gum (0 carbs)
1T vegetable glycerine (0 carbs)
1/2 c chopped strawberries (13 carbs)

Total 27.2 carbs / 3 cups ice cream.

I mixed all ingredients (except the strawberries) in a 4 cup measuring cup with a hand mixer...didn't bother to heat the cream...the mixture was about 35 degrees so I immediately put it in the mixer. At about 20 miinutes I added the strawberries. At 45 minutes the ice cream was almost frozen solid. Only 50 minutes from start to finish and yum is it tasty, the strawberry flavor is really pronounced, may cut the amount of syrup in the future ;-) The lecithin seems to be a good replacement for egg yolks (for those in a hurry ;-), and the glycerine really keeps the cream spoonable...thanks doug!

PS: An added benefit of the glycerine was that there was no frozen rime in the freezer bowl...it all cleaned out with a wooden spoon ;-)

After 8 hours in the freezer (for the very first time) I have truly spoonable ice cream!!! Without having to zap it in the microwave.

Another time saver I tried this week was to make up 4 batches of non custard basic vanilla to store in the freezer...easy to thaw and refreeze in the ice cream maker on a moments notice ;-)

Paulinex, this will be my last post on this thread!!! I promise LOL!

Last edited by locarbman; 09-02-2002 at 12:50 PM..
Old 08-26-2002, 12:46 PM   #29
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

LCMan,

Wait, post some more!

Wow! That is a lot of sweetener! Almost equal to 4 cups of sugar by my estimation. You REALLY do like things sweet, lol!

I made some vanilla this weekend with my powdered polvosin and it was too hard to measure right. It turned out way too sweet. So I added 2 cups of distilled water to it (the polvosin) to make the liquid form.

DS ate it all up, though. We made crepes and strawberry and blueberry toppings and then spooned a little of the vanilla ice cream on there and a spalsh of lc maple syrup. Talk about yummy.

I still need to try the Torani syrups. Do you find they are priced comparably to the DaVinci syrups?

That strawberry ice cream recipe looks great.

Oh, do you find it difficult to get the granulated lecithin to dissolve well? I always seem to have little yellowish "bumps" of lecithin in my ice cream, lol, even though I try to mix it to death in my mini food processor. Maybe i need to get one of those hand held mixers. We used to have a nice Braun mixer but DW gave it away because we never used it. Rats. Now I wish I had one.

Doug
Old 08-26-2002, 01:13 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Pauline, I lied lol! ...dougie made me do it ;-)

Doug, I used that much sweetener in my chocolate ice cream and didn't notice that it was too sweet, however, it is definitely too sweet for the strawberry ;-) You're right, the liquid form is much easier to measure.

I find the same thing with the lecithin, but, it doesn't seem to affect the frozen product...kind of figured that was just the way it was supposed to be. I also use a lecithin/flaxseed tonic in the evening and find the same result even mixed in a full 2 cups of water with a hand mixer.

The Torani Syrups are only $3.29 per 24.5oz bottle at my local Cash&Carry (the DaVinci are $3.59 per bottle) and heavy cream is $3.99 / half gallon. You should be able to find a Cash&Carry in your neck o' the woods...they operate in Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana. Locations and other info are shown on this site:

http://www.urmstores.com/

Looks like the closest to you would be Kennewick or Yakima WA ;-(...but might be worth a trip ;-)

Be sure to add a handmixer to your birthday wish list lol! ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 08-26-2002 at 01:57 PM..