Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2003, 08:41 AM   #61
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
Here's what I did - and the results are in. It is definitely okay - no problems with the Lecithin! I noticed Locarbman that you already have Liquid Lecitin, so I have to take back my little comment abou jealousy. Note, you can use any flavored syrups here.

Copied from Louloo's thread:

[color=purple]
SPICEY CHAI LATTE ICE CREAM

3 cups Whipping Cream
3/4 cup Davinci Spicey Chai Latte sugar free syrup
1/4 cup Torani Vanilla sugar free syrup
Pinch of Salt
3 Egg Yolks
1/2 cup Maltitol (you can substitute Splenda)
1/4 cup Splenda granular
2 Tbsp. Vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. Glycerine
1 Tbsp. Liquid Lecithin
1/4 tsp. Xanthan Gum

Make sure that all ingredients are cold before beginning.

In a blender, combine the whipping cream, flavored syrups, glycerine and liquid lecithin in a blender.*TIP for the lecithin: Before adding to your Tablespoon measure, spray your Tablespoon measure with Pam. This prevents the liquid from sticking.

Beat the egg yolks until light and frothy. Add the Maltitol, and whisk to combine until the mixture is very smooth. Add the Vanilla, Salt and the Xanthan gum, and whisk to combine. Pour this mixture into the blender, and mix until completely blended.

Pour into the freezer bowl of Ice Cream maker, and process until mixture is firm. ENJOY

Note that I did not make a cooked custard - for a few reasons: The mixture did not contain any milk, so the formation of large ice crystals would not be a problem. Since I have very good egg handling practices, I felt no need to cook the custard.

The resulting texture is incredibly smooth, and is holding it's easy to scoop consistency. One thing I find is that the flavor is a bit artificial tasting. I believe that is from the Davinci Syrup. I will make this again, but I think I will add my own spices, and replace the liquid with either additional cream or water.
[/color]

An additional note: the flavors tended to level out after a day or two in the freezer, so I would use the syrups again, no problem.
The result was rich and creamy. Better than the best ice cream you can buy in the stores. JMHO

Auntie

Proud member of the SHRINKING VIOLETS
[/color]

[color=red]At the Canada Challenge thread every day![/color]
auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2003, 09:22 AM   #62
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Xluvsu
I'm confused (not hard to do, LOL) but are all of these recpies for ice cream makers only? Or can you make home made ice cream w/o the maker? I really want to try it but don't think I want to invest in a maker yet.
Xluvsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 08:48 PM   #63

Most of these recipes will require an ice cream maker. The process of the ice cream making involves the quick freezing, and mixing of air into the mixture.

There are a couple of simple recipes you can do that will satisfy the ice cream desire, but aren't really ice cream.

you an mix whipped cream with sugar free jello, and place spoonfuls on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Freeze, and you will have ice cream cookies. They are really quite yummy. I'm sure you could come up with other concoctions of your own that would be tasty as well. There is a recipe in the Recipe Room for Ziploc ice cream. I've never tried it, but I've heard lots of good reviews.

Enjoy - but really, if you love ice cream, the maker is a worthy investment.
Old 02-14-2003, 12:23 PM   #64
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JazzyV
Stats: 261.0/225.5/189.5
WOE: Low Glycemic Carbs/Low Fat
Start Date: 5/14/00, Restart 6/29/09
bump
JazzyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 09:15 PM   #65

Gallery: RoseWaddles
Stats: 256/123/135 ~ 24/4/6 ~ 5'6" 46 years old
WOE: Lower Fat/Moderate Carbs~ RNY 11/6/06
Start Date: November 2006
bump
RoseWaddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 08:35 AM   #66

Gallery: RoseWaddles
Stats: 256/123/135 ~ 24/4/6 ~ 5'6" 46 years old
WOE: Lower Fat/Moderate Carbs~ RNY 11/6/06
Start Date: November 2006
RoseWaddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 03:11 PM   #67
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I needed to put these on disk
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 04:42 PM   #68
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SoCalGirl
Stats: 150/135/145
WOE: low carb
Lecithin, Xantham gum, Glycerine...

I just got an ice cream maker and am so excited to try some ice cream!

Can someone email me a link to where I can buy lecithing, xantham gum, and glycerine? In what forms should I buy them?

Thanks!
SoCalGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 12:45 AM   #69

Thanks for bringing this forward LCM - little bump for westendgirl!
Old 07-23-2003, 12:59 AM   #70

bump foro thelainster
Old 07-23-2003, 06:35 AM   #71
thelainster

Gallery: thelainster
yes!!! I finally found you!

And it was worth it-great reading. Thanks so much Auntie for getting me here.

Wow-lowcarbman- are those fish ever awesome! Beautiful background scenery. My husband and I lived on the west coast for a couple years mid seventies when we were first married. I really loved it. I love the east coast too-but it's apples and oranges.

Question-what is sucralose powder (it appears so little is so potent)

And are the stevia syrups you refer to commercial or home made. I just purchased some stevia powder and don't know how to use it yet.

I am not aware of any DaVinci or Torani products available locally. Any Canadians out there able to locate them in their area.

I can't wait to try some ice cream recipes.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:44 AM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
LOL! Welcome aboard... ;-)

Re: Sucralose Powder:

Here's an old post I made that describes using sucralose powder to make 'homemade' liquid Splenda...

"How to mix Sucralose powder ;-)
Hi TrishZ,

Perhaps I can clarify the instructions provided to Tater Head. Pure Sucralose Powder is 600 times as sweet as table sugar (per this press release from The American Council on Science and Health):

New York, NY. April 1, 1998—The American Council on Science and Health (ACSH), a consortium of more than 250 scientists and physicians today applauded approval of the use of a new noncaloric sweetener, sucralose, by the federal Food and Drug Administration.

“This approval significantly broadens the dietary choices of Americans ” stated Dr. Elizabeth Whelan, president of ACSH.

Sucralose is made from table sugar, or sucrose, which is then slightly modified to make it even sweeter and able to resist metabolism by the body. The resulting compound is approximately 600 times sweeter than sugar, and thus can be used in truly tiny amounts to sweeten a wide variety of foods.

Unlike some other alternative sweeteners, sucralose does not break down when heated. This ability to withstand high temperatures will allow food producers and consumers to use sucralose in cooking and baking a wide variety of foods. It will also be available as a table-top sweetener.

After reviewing over 100 studies of humans or animals, the FDA found no evidence that sucralose would have any toxic effects—whether carcinogenic, reproductive or neurologic. Stated ACSH director of nutrition Dr. Ruth Kava, “Approval of sucralose is a real step in the right direction.”

For more information about sucralose, see the ACSH booklet Low-Calorie Sweeteners under Publications, or contact Dr. Elizabeth M. Whelan, president or Dr. Ruth Kava, director of nutrition. ACSH is a consortium of over 250 scientists and physicians.

Given this strength for sucralose powder, and the fact that 1oz of the powder contains 1000 1/32t servings, we may calculate the amount of water necessary to achieve the equivalence of 1 cup of sugar per 1/4t of homemade liquid sucralose as follows:

Since sucralose powder is 600 times as sweet as table sugar, 1 teaspoon of sucralose powder is equivalent to 600 teaspoons of table sugar.

1. Determine the sugar equivalence per 1/32t serving by dividing 600/32 which gives the equivalence of 18.75t sugar per serving.

2. Determine the equivalent number of teaspoons of sugar in 1oz of sucralose powder by multiplying 18.75 x 1000 servings to equal 18,750 equivalent teaspoons of sugar in 1oz of pure sucralose powder.

3. Determine the equivalent number of cups of sugar in 1oz of sucralose powder by dividing 18,750 / 48 (the number of teaspoons in a cup) to give 390.625 equivalent cups of sugar in 1oz sucralose powder (this is also the number of 1/4t's of liquid necessary to obtain a concentration of 1/4t liquid sucralose equal to 1 cup of sugar).

4. Determine the number of teaspoons of liquid required by dividing 390.625 / 4 to equal 97.656 teaspoons.

5. Determine the number of tablespoons of liquid required by dividing 97.656 / 3 to equal 32.55 tablespoons.

6. Determine the number of fluid ounces of liquid required by dividing 32.55 / 2 to equal 16.276 fluid ounces.

This supports the directions to mix 1oz pure sucralose powder in 2 cups (16floz) of water to achieve a concentration of 1/4t liquid sucralose equal to 1 cup of sugar.

Guess I've just been lucky, but I haven't experienced any taste problems such as Tater Head expressed, nor has my mother or sister...we just keep the solution refrigerated and find it both cost effective compared to the expense of your co-op and a wonderfully effective alternative to Granular Splenda. Glad you have a source for the commercial liquid and know that those who participate appreciate the hard work you do to make it available.

Cheers ;-)

PS: 16floz to 1oz is not a 16:1 ratio of water to sucralose powder, as 16floz is a unit of volume and 1oz is a unit of weight (apples and oranges ;-). To mix smaller amounts, ie: 1tsp of sucralose powder, you divide 600 by 48 to equal 12.5 equivalent cups of sugar per teaspoon of sucralose powder. This requires 12.5 1/4tsp water or 3.125tsp (3 1/8t) water per 1tsp of sucralose powder to achieve the desired concentration of 1/4t of the mixture = the sweetness of 1 cup of sugar...a ratio of 3.125:1...both units of volume. This same ratio (water to sucralose powder) is achieved by mixing 1oz sucralose powder with 16.276floz water..."

Re: Homemade Liquid Stevia:

Check this thread...

http://www.low-carb-friends.com/bbs/...threadid=35300

Hope this helps and that you enjoy making your own, low carb, ice cream... ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 07-23-2003 at 09:55 AM..
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 03:55 PM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
For Linda... ;-)

May as well add this recipe...great for Halloween parties... ;-)

PUMPKIN PIE ICE CREAM:
2c heavy cream (13.2 carbs)
1/2c Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup (0 carbs)
3T lecithin (1.5 carbs) [or 3 egg yokes for a custard mix]
1/8t salt (0 carbs)
2c Sweetener (Liquid Stevia = 0 carbs)
1/4t Xanthan Gum (0 carbs)
3T vegetable glycerine (0 carbs)
1T Pumpkin Pie Spice (3 carbs)
1c Pumpkin (Libby's, 8 carbs)

Total 25.7 carbs / 4 cups ice cream.

Blend ingredients together in a 4 cup measuring cup with a hand blender, freeze…about 3 carbs per half cup serving…

Last edited by locarbman; 10-24-2003 at 06:13 AM..
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote