Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2002, 10:10 PM   #31

Gallery:
doug & lcm...

I've used a mortar & pestle to grind the lecithin into powder form before adding it to my flaxseed cereal. Might that work for the ice cream, make it less 'bumpy'?

Also, FYI, lcm, here a quart of heavy cream is $3.99
And neither of the SF syrups are available locally.
Sigh. The East coast is so lowfat, darn it all!

Thanks especially to both of you (as well as auntie3, Jazzy et al) for all the fine ice cream advice & adventures
Gonna add both the tips and the recipes to my LC Ice cream page, unless you object? Might as well spread the joy, park these gems permanently on the web!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2002, 02:04 AM   #32
paulinex

Gallery: paulinex
OK so I'm encouraging you lcm, hehe.

WOW! What prices. The only place I can get the Davinci (and it's whatever they have, if any) is at a local closeout store and it's a mere $5.99 (otherwise full retail, online). I also was paying over $4.00/qt for heavy cream. I do appreciate you doing all the dirty work for me. You've saved me a ton of $$$ in experiments.

I've finally gotten all the 'magic' ingredients so I will be making my first two perfect batches later. One LC for moi, one regular for DH.

Thx everyone for all the great tips!
Old 08-28-2002, 02:32 PM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JazzyV
Stats: 265.5/248.0/185
WOE: Low Carb/Weight Watchers
Ah!! Lots of experimenting going on here by locarbman and dougieb ! I can buy Torani syrups locally at a coffee shop (they have lots of sf flavors) for about $4.50 for the 25.4 oz bottle. I have 2 bottles of the chocolate sitting here now. Guess what I'll be making? It's a bargain for icecream, since it has glycerine already in it! And, I'd like to try the lecithin too (I have bins of it that I take for my cholesterol lowering). I'm lazy about separating egg yolks and having to make a heated custard . Thanks guys, for doing all this legwork for me!
JazzyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 03:12 PM   #34
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: KamAZ
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: Jan 14, 2003 (on and off since 1999)
I've just copied and pasted all of these wonderful instructions into a word doc. I'm going to get a little ice cream maker this weekend, and then I am going to have some fun!

Also, for those of you looking for Torani syrups - if you have a Cost Plus nearby, you can get them there. Not too great of a variety, but they have several SF varieties. It's an import store with lots of cool stuff - you can see if there is a location near you at www.costplus.com
-Kami
KamAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 05:41 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Hey KamAZ, we've got one in Spokane...am going shopping tomorrow!!! I'm converting my wine cellar into a syrup celler lol! ;-)
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 05:18 AM   #36
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: dougieb
Jazzy, You started us out with great info, too, so Thanks for sharing that. It's just kind of snowballed from there.

Thanks, Kam! The cash and carry over here has changed hands and it's 30 some miles away besides. There is a Cost Plus over in Beaverton which is fairly close and I go there anyway to shop at Trader Joe's and the Nature's/Wild Oats market. So that's grat news.

I went to Fred Meyer (Kroger grocery store chain) yesterday and they had a few small bottles of the Torani sugar free syrups but they wanted almost $5 for those. They only had the 25 oz. bottles of their regular sugary syrups, and those were $6.50

I love the way all of you have been adding in your bits of knowledge for everyone to use. What a great group of people.

Doug
dougieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 07:30 PM   #37
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: dougieb
Quote:
Originally posted by locarbman
The Torani Syrups are only $3.29 per 24.5oz bottle at my local Cash&Carry (the DaVinci are $3.59 per bottle) and heavy cream is $3.99 / half gallon. You should be able to find a Cash&Carry in your neck o' the woods...they operate in Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana. Locations and other info are shown on this site:
[
I stopped at the Cash n Carry in Portland on my way to Seatle this afternoon. They had the Torani syrups for $3.65 and Davinci for $3.59.

I was just shopping for the Torani syrups to use in ice cream because they have the glycerin in them. I picked up vanilla, chocolate and strawberry.

I will pick up some of the other Davinci flavors in the future, though, for cheesecakes, etc.

What a great price for those items.

I can't wait to make some ice cream with the Torani syrups.

I think I'll stop by the Cash n Carry on my way home to see if they have heavy cream for cheap, too.

Thanks for the heads up on Cash n Carry, Locarbman!

Doug
dougieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 09:19 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Excellent Doug! I just found "Lecithin Granules (Fine)" for $4.86 per pound...would probably solve the lumpy lecithin problem (SleuthFan, I haven't seen a mortar and pestle since high school chemistry...just a few years ago ;-)...even had to reread your post to make sure I spelled them correctly lol!) Picked up 6 gallons of heavy cream yesterday to store in my freezer for $49.44...ready for the Labor Day weekend. Made black cherry ice cream today...it's really getting too easy. Now, if that freezer bowl would just stay colder longer, perhaps a liquid nitrogen bath? ;-)
Old 08-30-2002, 09:46 PM   #39

Gallery:
lcm...

Okay, I just have to say how much it ticks me off that we can't get such faboo prices on heavy cream, Torani & Davinci here! Not fair!

About those lecithin granules you mentioned, did you notice that 1lb fine is less than 1lb regular, same brand? Odd, don't you think? Why would lumpy be better???

You have the Cuisinart, yes? You can buy extra canisters for that machine. LOL, how many do you have? And how many different types of ice cream do you have in your freezer now? Just curious

You freeze the heavy cream and when you defrost it, it's ok? Doesn't it expand when you freeze it? Long ago, in England, when I was just a wee lass, they used to deliver milk, in bottles, to our door. It was full fat milk, the cream would separate and float to the top. On very, very cold mornings, the cream would solidify, push up & pop the top off. (Hence my expansion question )
Old 08-31-2002, 06:01 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

SleuthFan,

The coefficient of expansion for heavy cream is quite low due to the high percentage of fat content compared to liquid in this product. The coefficient of expansion for water is quite high (that's why they install freeze plugs on motors to keep the intake manifolds from breaking in cold Nebraska winters ;-). Milk in England (or anywhere else for that matter) will have a higher coefficient of expansion...which, in the olden days, when whole milk was delivered in glass bottles, caused the cream to burst through the cap. Now, these products are provided in flexible cardboard containers with sufficient headspace to allow for the small amount of expansion experienced under freezing conditions. I hope this will ease your mind...and yes, the cream is still good! After all, extremely high temperatures used in ultra pasteurization to eliminate contamination by microorganism's, doesn't harm the cream...just gives it a slightly 'cooked' taste...unless one uses it to make ice cream...yeah!!! ;-)

PS: Guess I should add that it takes about 3 days for the heavy cream to thaw in my refrigerator. I give it a good shaking and although it it still appears a bit lumpy, it dissolves quite well in hot drinks and the lumps smooth out in my ice cream mix using the hand mixer to blend the ingredients together. If you are still bothered by the consistency, merely heat the cream as in making a custard mix and the cream will become all nice and smooth again ;-) The resulting ice cream, however, is delicious...made English Toffee today...only 14.7 carbs for the batch ;-)

You needn't throw out your 'rock hard' cream, merely defrost it, blend in the glycerine, xanthan gum, and lecithin and then refreeze in the mixer. You can't do that with commercial ice cream...

Last edited by locarbman; 09-06-2002 at 08:38 AM..
Old 09-01-2002, 01:18 AM   #41
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
HI Guys!

I just had to stop in here and say thanks for all of your great ice cream making tips!!

Sad state of affairs where I sit . I am allergic to lecithin (since it's derived from soy beans). Of couse, that also leaves out locust bean gum. I can't remember if it's the Guar or Xanthan Gum that I can't handle? Oh well, I really don't mind the cooked custard thing with the eggs. Makes me feel like I am really "making" something!! LOL

We can not get the DaVinci Syrups here. One of my Canadian buddies says she can send me some for $13.99 a bottle, I don't think that includes the 14% sales tax, and certainly not shipping! The Torani Syrups are available here, though in really limited flavors. BUT that won't stop me! They're only $11.99 a bottle!! That probably won't stop me either, but it will likely slow me down. LOL I haven't been able to get heavy cream here, but whipping cream costs $4.24 a litre (that would be equivalent to a quart)! That just slows me down, too! That is certainly one of the reasons I mix half & half with the whipping cream. Of course, it does have higher lactose content, so I do have that granule problem to worry about. I have been lucky so far, I guess.

You guys really ought to try making the frozen yogurt. It is so simple, doesn't freeze as hard as ice cream, and is very smooth and creamy. Not as nice a mouth feel as the ice cream, but it does serve the purpose. I'll post my recipes for the Yogurt on Louloo's thread. I've just been too busy to get here to post recipes.

Good luck with your continued experimentation. Remember to keep on sharing. You guys have done awesome!!

Auntie

Proud member of the SHRINKING VIOLETS
[/color]

[color=red]At the Canada Challenge thread every day![/color]
auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 10:10 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Arcie
WOE: Moderate carbs
Hi guys....remember me?? I started this thread by asking Locarbman about his ice cream recipes/tips....LOL. It's great how all you ice cream lovers jumped in and shared such great tips and info. I'm still trying to decide which one to try next...heehee! Oh yeah, and I'm lovin' eating ice cream again. Thanks to all!

Last edited by Arcie; 09-01-2002 at 10:13 AM..
Arcie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 01:23 PM   #43

Gallery:
bump
Old 10-06-2002, 12:10 PM   #44

Gallery:
bumping cos my lecithin arrived and I'm going to be experimenting! thanks so much for everyone's experience here! It's great!
Old 10-11-2002, 03:09 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laceysaunders
bump
laceysaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 05:09 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brennyS
Hey somebody! Could we add this thread to the Past amazing posts so we don't lose this? Does it have to be submitted by an administrator ?
brennyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 06:33 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muffie
Stats: lost 41# as of 5/3/05
WOE: Atkins strict induction
Start Date: restart 1/5/2004
Yesterday I made Maple Walnut Ice Cream using 1 t. maple flavoring instead of vanilla. For the walnuts, I toasted about 1/2 c. chopped walnuts in a little bit of butter and sprinkled a packet of Splenda on top. My whole family loved it. Alas, I don't know if it stayed spoonable in the freezer or not. There wasn't any left!!!
muffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 06:48 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

IMO, a pinch of salt improves the flavor of any ice cream. I'm eating some mint chocolate chip as we speak. Wonderful!
Old 10-20-2002, 10:47 AM   #49

Gallery: Galatea
bump
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 01:09 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Hi,

Just wanted to add that my new Stevia sugar free Pepperment Paddy and Strawberry syrups

http://www.pfangserver.com/bbs/showt...threadid=35300

worked very well for ice cream...;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 10-28-2002 at 01:12 PM..
Old 10-29-2002, 10:36 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: damifino
Stats: 208/158/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/1/02
"The local food/health stores on the 'other coast' aren't as progressive as yours out there. "

If it helps , I found Torini in 25 oz bottles for 4.99 ( a deal on the east coast) at World Market in No VA. They had about 6 SF flavors. I think the best is Irish cream. --- It reminds me of a Baileys .
damifino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 12:54 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, just wanted to add these posts to the thread...gettingsmaller has a good recommendation for the 'dairy' challenged. ;-)

AZLowcarber
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

***Thanks to all the Icecream Experts!
I made the mint chocolate chip icecream last night and I am thrilled to report that this morning (14 hours later) it is a perfect consistancy. Amazing! thanks for all the experimentation you guys did. It makes all the difference in the world with the glycerin, lecithin, xantham gum combo! I really appreciate all your efforts.
10-29-2002 07:42 AM

gettingsmaller
Junior LCF Member

***Non dairy ice cream
For those who do not eat dairy, I wanted to let them know that these ice cream recipes can be made with nut milks. I use a mixture of 1/2 coconut milk and 1/2 almond milk as a substitution for cream. The ice cream turns out very good and especially when all of the ingredients that AZLowcarber mentioned are used. I use canned coconut milk and I make the almond milk. To make almond milk, place 1 cup of almonds in a blender. Place 2 cups of boiling water over nuts and blend for a minute. Let set for about an hour. Blend again for another minute. Strain through a gold coffee filter and use a spatula to push the milk through the mesh.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:03 PM   #53

Gallery: Galatea
I tired the Mint n chip tonight with my stevia homemade peppermint syrup (ala locarbman) - - FABULOUS!

Tomorrow night I am using my homemade stevia flavored butter rum syrup with my homemade stevia flavored bannana syrup for a banana's foster ice cream.

I also took my granular lecithin ( the liquid was sickeningly sweet and I couldn't get a fine powder locally) I blended the 2 Tbl of lecithin in my blender for about three minutes, pushing the powder down all the time. Then I added all the other ingredients and the lecithin was completely blended. Yummy.

Last edited by Galatea; 10-30-2002 at 05:05 PM..
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 02:32 PM   #54

Gallery:
bump!
Old 11-11-2002, 12:09 PM   #55

Gallery:
Butter Pecan Icecream

Butter Pecan Icecream

2 cups heavy cream
1 cup Davinci Vanilla sf syrup
3 egg yolks
1 Tablespoon lecithin granules
2 Tablespoons glycerin
1/2 teaspoon xantham gum
1 teaspoon butter extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans

I used my food processor and ground the lecithin to a powder consistancy, added a cup of cream, egg yolks, xantham gum and glycerin and whirled it for a minute or two. Then added it with the rest of my ingredients, except for the pecans. Froze it in my machine and added the pecans at the end of the cycle (per my machine's instructions) and it is delicious. Almost tastes like a frozen creme brulee.
Old 12-15-2002, 06:36 PM   #56
bluflowers

Gallery: bluflowers
bump!
Old 12-20-2002, 04:28 AM   #57

Gallery: Melody
Stats: oh no
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/19/01-Goal 7/6/02
Bump!
Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 08:23 AM   #58
Debaroo

Gallery: Debaroo
bump *▄*
Old 01-30-2003, 08:28 PM   #59

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
bumping again - Well, I got some liquid lecithin, which I am going to try. So, if my soy allergy doesn't get me, this will likely be a keeper.

BTW - Locarbman - you're allowed to be jealous about the liquid lecithin.

I'll let you all know how it turns out. I also got some DaVinci Chai Latte syrup - and that's what I'm going to be making. Wish me luck!!
auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 07:05 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

bumping...for whoever. Shouldn't this thread be a sticky?