Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2003, 10:31 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: victoriagal
Atkins mix in gravy?

I have some yummy drippings from our Thanksgiving turkey left over. I would like to make a low carb gravy. I thought about just making the gravy as usual but substituting the Mix instead of regular flour. Can anyone let me know what this tastes like? Will I be able to taste a big difference this way? I don't want to spoil the gravy. Any other suggestions to thicken it?

Thanks, Lisa

Sept 27, 2003
185/175-135
victoriagal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2003, 03:09 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
Hi Lisa!

First of all, welcome, from a fellow Canadian. We have a daily thread on the Challenges Board - you should check us out. We always love to have newcomers!

About the gravy - I don't think the bake mix would make a good gravy - primarily because of the soy in it. I think you can really taste it. A better alternative is to use some Xanthan or Guar Gum. These are best if you can combine them with another powdery substance, such as Splenda, or even salt and spices. You need a very little bit. Depending on how much you have to thicken, you could use anywhere from 1/8 to 1/2 teaspoon. Start out with the tiniest little bit, sprinkled over top the hot mix. Whisk in very quickly until it is all absorbed, and the mixture begins to thicken. Keep adding very small amounts and whisking in, until you have your desired consistency. Unlike flour or cornstarch, you mixture does not have to reach a full boil to achieve its maximum thickening.

You can find the Xanthan or Guar Gum at your local health food store. I find that my preference is for Xanthan gum, since it can also be used to thicken cold ingredients with no problem.

HTH

Auntie

Proud member of the SHRINKING VIOLETS
[/color]

[color=red]At the Canada Challenge thread every day![/color]
auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 01:44 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: victoriagal
Thanks, that's a great tip. Are there no carbs in the Xanthan gum? Yippee!!! Can you use it in cheese sauce too? I love discovering new things.
victoriagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 05:46 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Naja
Atkins mix works fine in gravy in my experience. There is a taste to it, but you can use a fairly small amount and use additional thickeners also.

A classic roux involves melting butter and adding flour (in this case, bake mix) and cooking that down until it is nicely browned. Then hot milk, cream or broth is whisked in rapidly.

Some crushed garlic added at the roux stage goes a long way towards flavoring the gravy and eliminating the soy taste. Touch of lemon juice doesn't hurt either, but add it either before or after any dairy product.
Let My worship be in the heart that rejoices, for behold, all acts of love and pleasure are My rituals. Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you. And you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.
Naja is offline   Reply With Quote