Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   made noodles out of la tortilla (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/159536-made-noodles-out-la-tortilla.html)

pita 10-14-2003 02:15 PM

made noodles out of la tortilla

I made speg noodles out of la tortilla factory tortillas (the plain ones) I just cut it up in the shape of speg noodles.
They did get wider after i cooked them, ended up more like fettucini noodles. I only boiled them for about 1 minute (just enough to soften a little), so today I had speg.........it was great.

anyone else ever try this?

spazcat 10-14-2003 02:17 PM

Are they better than LC pasta???
Did you boil them????
Are they really good:D

hedy67 10-14-2003 02:19 PM

I just asked a question regarding these tortillas on the recipe board

I just found the Latortilla ones. What all can you make with them?
Thanks!

spazcat 10-14-2003 02:21 PM

Tacos
burritos
quesidillas
chips with salsa and sour cream
Roll up sandwiches
breakfast burritoes:D

pita 10-14-2003 02:27 PM

i have never tried the lo carb pastas so i can't compare. they were good though. I only boiled them for less than a minute so they would not get too soft.
They do have a slight wheaty taste but i don't really taste soy (which i hate)
I have used them as bread on a breakfast sandwich (eggs, cheese and jimmy dean type sausage) This was extremely good.
I'm going to try to make mac and cheese too

BobbyD98604 10-14-2003 02:46 PM

What an awesome idea!! Thanks for sharing :)

BTW, what kind of sauce did you use?

pita 10-14-2003 02:53 PM

i used HEB (a grocery store in texas) speg sauce...it had more carbs than i wanted but it was the lowest i could find.

NancyC 10-14-2003 07:23 PM

I made lasagne last week using the tortillas as the noodles. I made it just like I used to, but placing strips of one large tortilla in each of the layers (1 tortilla per layer). It wasn't 100% like my old lasagne, but it was awfully close!!!!

mommedawne 10-14-2003 07:29 PM

Hey, good idea, I'll have to give it a try!

CarolynF 10-14-2003 09:19 PM

The tortillas sound like they would make good noodles..I'll
try them.

For lasagne, I LOVE using turkey breast sliced..not shaved
at the deli..It is amazing...and you can't tell that it's not noodles.
I like to dry it out a little in the oven so the moisture doesn't
get the lasagne more watery...Try it..you'll love it.

mommedawne 10-14-2003 09:24 PM

Another good idea of yours, Carolyn, I'll have to try that, too.:) How thick do you have the turkey sliced? And how long and at what temp do you dry it? Just until it's pliable?

CarolynF 10-15-2003 01:31 PM

I just say slice it for sandwiches..like a piece of ham..not terribly
thick..but so you can't see through it.

I put the pieces I will use in a 325 oven for about 10 minutes, turning them over..just to dry them out a little..

mommedawne 10-15-2003 02:14 PM

Thanks, Carolyn, I have some turkey in the fridge, I will probably try your idea this this week (or next week if I eat my turkey too fast).:)