Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2003, 09:20 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
Deep Fried Turkey.......

Sounds incredible!!!! I have never had this and someone was talking about it today. Do you have a deep fryer for a turkey and is it hard to use? Do you only use it once a year? Is it hard to clean or dangerous? What kind of oil do you use. Is the turkey really that different than roasted?

Thanks!

Marieze
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2003, 12:17 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DeepFry
Peanut oil is best. Yes you need a special Fryer (Home Depot carries them for about $40). Once a year? Depends as it doubles as a steamer and you can have yourself a clam bake in a pot or use it for veggies. It can be dangerous if you overfill with oil. The oil will rise if when the turkey is added and if it is damp the oil will bubble up. I can honestly say fried turkey is my favorite (as you can tell me my name).
DeepFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 08:39 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jenifer_in_CA
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/28/04
Fried turkey is unbelievable! So damn delicious - crispy skin and moist meat.

Even if you used the fryer for only turkey, you don't have to wait for Thanksgiving to use it! I would eat it all the time!
Jenifer_in_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 07:11 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: H2O_geek
We fried our first turkey for Thanksgiving 2002, and then on Christmas 2002, then some time in January for fun, again around March. It becomes addictive! It is so juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside. No turkey fries during the summer - Shrimp and Crawfish Boils!

The best part is once the peanut oil is hot (peanut oil has a higher smoking point than veggie/corn/safflower oil) it only takes 45 minutes to 75 minutes to cook the turkey!

Avoiding overflow is critical! Don't want any oil spilling over directly onto the flame! Tip for this - put your turkey(in the basket) in the pot. Fill the pot with water (hey, you have to rinse the turkey anyway) until the water reaches a level just higher than your turkey. Remover your turkey (and basket), and that's how much oil you need to put in. We scored the inside of the pot with a knife so it was easy to find the oil level again (It's about 5 gallons of oil for our pot). You also need a flat area, preferably concrete, away from the house. We do ours in our driveway, no back porch.

It is completely different from roasted turkey. It's something everone should experience at least once.

As for cleaning, it's just a bigger version of an oily pot.
H2O_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 10:34 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Freckles
Seasoning Question...

We bought a fryer for last Thanksgiving, but called out of state to work and never used it . What spices do you use and how do you keep the seasoning from coming off while frying?
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 01:03 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Falibabe
I first had deep fried turkey over this past summer at my mother-in-law's house .... it was divine! Now that I am doing LC this dish has definitely seen a lot more action in my house.

Freckles - not sure about the seasonings , both my mom-in-law and I have cooked it as is in the deep fryer and it turns out wonderfully. I think the crispy outter layer is enough itself.
Falibabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 04:31 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KLO1
The first deep fried turkey I ever had was seasoned with cayenne pepper and that is still our favorite. Just dry the turkey and sprinkle cayenne over till it's a lovely red color. No, it's not hot at all, just a nice flavor. The skin is to die for, we always fight over it!
KLO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 05:20 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pammiedoodle01
Stats: 287/209/150
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: January 2012
Here in my part of Texas this is the ONLY way to cook turkey. We always soak ours in a brine overnight and this makes it so moist, tender and flavorful. At foodtv with a .com at the end you can find the recipe with the exact ings. and amounts. You will never roast one again. When they are on sale during the holidays we buy several for the freezer to have throughout the year. DO NOT use a butterball because they are injected with stuff that will really spatter and cause your oil to bubble over. Less expensive turkey's really shine here!!!
pammiedoodle01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 05:40 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
bump
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 08:03 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Freckles
Thanks for all the shared expertise and spicy divulgences .
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote