Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Zero Carb Liqueurs ;-) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/158211-zero-carb-liqueurs.html)

locarbman 10-11-2003 02:48 AM

Zero Carb Liqueurs ;-)

Add some zip to your recipes ;-) I've been tinkering with flavored vodka's using inexpensive vodka, vegetable glycerine and Lorann Oil flavorings to make zero carb approximations of the more expensive flavored vodka's and liqueurs. I divide a 375ml bottle of vodka into two 3/4c measures and add 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable glycerine to each with 3-5 drops of Lorann Oil flavorings (to taste ;-). I've made pretty good tasting Peppermint Schnaps, Triple Sec, Kahlua, Kirsch Wasser, etc. I've also used Jim Beam Whisky with vegetable glycerine and Lorann Peach Flavoring to approximate Southern Comfort... I have used these mixtures in recipes in lieu of vanilla extract to achieve a delightful flavor as well as for very satisfactory, low cost, beverages. I just completed an order for more of Lorann's 73 flavors for further experimentation...thought some of you might be interested...lol! ;-)

JazzyV 10-11-2003 06:19 AM

Locarbman, with the holidays coming up, I've been thinking about trying to make some lc liqueurs, especially Kahlua, one of my favorites. I'm assuming you used their "Flavor for Chocolate-Kona coffee (Kahlua type)" ? What proportions did you use? Thanks for sharing all your great recipe inventions! :)

CarolynF 10-11-2003 08:26 AM

Locarbman...You are the most creative person in LowCarb Land..
Not only are you a great baker, but now you are in the
distilling business...

Keep us posted on your lastest experiments...:)

dizneegirl 10-11-2003 02:20 PM

You never cease to amaze me! :D

Mmmmm... Bacardi Limon (which, I was devastated to find out, has 2 carbs per ounce), here I come! And I used to love banana schnapps and Butter Shots! Ohhhhh... and Hot Shots! Mmmmmm!

So... what did you use for Triple Sec? ;)

locarbman 10-11-2003 03:25 PM

Jazzy, I hesitate to give exact measurements because tastes are so individual, and, as I mentioned above, I tinker a lot until 'I'm' satisfied...I have a 'notorious' sweet tooth...;-) Yes, I did use the Kona Coffee FLavor for Chocolate and More...

Kahlua Recipes:
http://www.webtender.com/cgi-bin/sea...=10&verbose=on

I arbitrarily selected recipe #3, replacing the sugar and chocolate syrup with vegetable glycerine and Loran Oil Flavoring... ;-)

dizneegirl, I used the Orange Oil Natural... My reference (URL below) shows this:

Triple sec is a strong, clear orange-flavored liqueur. It is sweet, but not cloying.

In addition to the generic brand Triple Sec, Curaçao, Cointreau, and Grand Marnier are also triple secs.

While triple sec usually would mean "triple dry", it here means "triple distilled".

What I do is search the internet for these liqueurs and adapt to low carb ingredients. Kirsch Wasser was fun because most of the references were in German ;-), however, having been stationed in Frankfurt for 2 years, I know the literal translation is cherry water...so I tinkered with the Cherry Flavor...

I find that you can make stronger mixtures which act much like homemade vanilla bean extract (steeped in vodka) and can then be used like extract flavorings in recipes. Am intrigued with the prospect of using other flavorings...honey, cotton candy, coconut, eggnog, banana/strawberry...endless possibilities...lol! ;-)

Triple Sec:
http://www.webtender.com/db/ingred/213

PS: For peppermint schnapps, I used the Peppermint Oil Natural. An eye dropper is a real help in measuring Lorann flavorings... ;-)

Bfranke 10-11-2003 04:17 PM

I am really enjoying my Kahlua......Great with cream, also great diluted w/water.
Guess I will have to try some others!!
I have been making Margaritas too....Crystal Light, Triple Sec, Lime juice and Tequila. Will have to try making my own Triple Sec. (This is my Saturday night drink......after working 8 hours!!)
But, not more than TWO drinks a week, do I allow myself!! Then again, the holidays are coming!
Bette
PS Locarbman.....Southern Comfort surely sounds great!

sdbeeme 10-11-2003 04:37 PM

where do you find vegetable glycerine?? what is it's function in the recipe? this sounds very fun and exciting to try!! :)

locarbman 10-12-2003 09:07 AM

Bette, my sister swears by my zero carb Southern Comfort...was great this summer in frosted rootbeer mugs from the freezer..got the hint to use peach flavoring from an old timer...and had to buy a bottle of the real stuff (100 proof ;-) to compare the taste...it's identical. BTW w hat do you do with that worm from the tequila? LOL!

sdbeeme, I use the NOW Brand vegetable glycerine that I find on-line for $4.16/16oz.. Vegetable Glycerine is a thick, zero carb, liquid sweetener that is about 75% as sweet as sugar, dissolves very well in alcohol...it provides the 'sweet' in liqueurs...;-)

mytwosweetpeas 10-13-2003 04:06 PM

I made the Kahlua out of Dana's book

and it truly is great! I might have to try these other recipes and see how they come out. Do you mind sending me your source list for some of these things as well.

Josette

locarbman 10-13-2003 04:38 PM

I love experimenting...hic! On the way... ;-)

jdennysgirl 10-13-2003 04:45 PM

You're absolutely amazing!

Are you sure you're not a Rocket Scientist or something??? You sure do a lot of tinkering don't you!! I must say without you this site would not be near as interesting. Love all you do.

TaDa! 07-10-2010 06:14 PM

How the heck did I miss this thread in 2003? That's 7 years wasted with whiskey straight up ...

Thanks Locarbman!!!

:love:

Pauline

p.s. I used to make faux kahlua in college with vodka and instant coffee, lol!

kat819 07-10-2010 06:48 PM

Great idea!!! Ooh, maybe I can make low carb creme de menthe and creme de cacao!:p Yum!

Pam 07-10-2010 08:23 PM

[QUOTE=TaDa!;13677744]How the heck did I miss this thread in 2003? That's 7 years wasted with whiskey straight up ...

You're not alone...I missed this, too! Better late than never, LOL!!!

Speck333 07-10-2010 10:53 PM

Why the vegetable glycerin though?

shykins 07-11-2010 12:15 AM

u can also make flavoured vodkas/gins by steeping. we make strawberry, raspberry, sloe vodka etc. just bung a load of berries in the bottle with the vodka, sweeten to taste and then keep shaking it every so often

also made toffee vodka with sugar free werthers in it. i think the best one was the plum gin!!

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 07-11-2010 11:53 AM

O.K. you all, recipes, please. Julie

Speck333 07-11-2010 01:14 PM

I just discovered that I have some of these Lorann flavorings in my cupboard! I bought them at a cake decorating store last month for $1 each (small 1/3 oz bottles) - I just got strawberry, chocolate and wintergreen.
I just had a strawberry green iced tea and it was very refreshing! :) Just a few drops of the flavoring with some sweetener in the glass of tea.
I imagine I could mix the wintergreen and chocolate for something interesting... not in the green iced tea though :sick:

ladeeda 07-11-2010 03:38 PM

Please give recipes, I use liqueurs in my homemade ice creams...oh the carbs I can save. I trust your taste buds...I can always tinker if need be. Thanx, Dee.

Dixie Barkley 07-11-2010 04:29 PM

Learn something new every single day! LOL

locarbman 07-11-2010 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaDa! (Post 13677744)
How the heck did I miss this thread in 2003? That's 7 years wasted with whiskey straight up ...

Thanks Locarbman!!!

:love:

Pauline

p.s. I used to make faux kahlua in college with vodka and instant coffee, lol!

LOL! Pauline and Pam, you made me laugh! ;-)

For Julie and Dee, who desire ‘recipes’ ;-), I’ll start you off with one of my favorites…

Zero Carb Southern Comfort:

375ml Jim Beam Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey (0 carbs)
1T Vegetable Glycerine (0.75t sugar equivalence, add more or less to taste, 0 carbs)
1/8t LorAnn Gourmet Peach Flavor (ingredients Natural and Artificial Flavorings, Propylene Glycol (another name for Glycerine ;-), 0 carbs)

I now purchase the large 1.75 Liter bottle of Jim Beam Whisky ($39.95 here in WA), add 5 Tablespoons Vegetable Glycerine and 5/8 teaspoon LorAnn Gourmet Peach Flavor, shake well and it's ready for guests and celebrations! (I use my 375 milliliter bottle as a zero carb sleeping potion...a sip at bedtime sends me off to never never land… ;-)

I have accumulated several 375ml bottles (inexpensive Potter's Vodka) and find them a handy size for personal use...Netrition does carry Vegetable Glycerine and LorAnn flavorings...

Hope others will add their favorites... ;-)

PS: Dee, I would like your ice cream recipe, using liqueurs, if you would share... ;-)

Soobee 07-12-2010 01:51 AM

I found glycerine in the pharmacy section at Walmart.

ladeeda 07-12-2010 10:48 AM

I don't know how to format and post a recipe. Where can I get that info? Dee

drjlocarb 07-12-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locarbman (Post 13681160)
, Propylene Glycol (another name for Glycerin ;-)[/SIZE][/FONT]

Really?????

I have a gallon of propylene glycol in my basement!!!

O carbs??

ladeeda 07-12-2010 11:31 AM

PEACH ICE CREAM Blend chunky and set aside: 1 1/2 c (280g) frozen peach slices 1 1/2 c heavy cream 2 egg yolks Micro 60 sec (1200 watt Microwave): 1/2 c Half & Half 2 T Vanilla SF DaVinci 1/3 c powdered Erithrytol T Diabetisweet 1/8 t (=2T sweet) Pure Stevia ext Whisk in: small pkg SF Peach Jello and stir to dissolve. Add blended ingredients and process 20 to 25 min until thickened. Add: 2T Peach Schnapps and process 5 min Makes 5 cups. Hardens in freezer. Set out 10 to 15 min to soften. Or micro a few seconds. Enjoy...Dee.

ladeeda 07-12-2010 11:32 AM

Sorry. Peach Ice Cream makes 7 cups.

locarbman 07-12-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjlocarb (Post 13682620)
Really?????

I have a gallon of propylene glycol in my basement!!!

O carbs??

LOL! Sorry, Propylene Glycol is not Glycerine, it is just another member of the Glycerol family with several properties in common with Glycerine...and many other applications as well, including anti-freeze ;-) Yes, '0' carbs, similar to Glycerine in that regard...

Propylene glycol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Because of its low chronic oral toxicity, propylene glycol was classified by the U. S. Food and Drug Administration as "generally recognized as safe" (GRAS) for use as a direct food additive.”

Dee, thanks for the recipe!!! Will give it a try at Aunties mid-year birthday party in August... ;-)

Pam 07-12-2010 01:10 PM

Hey, Locarbman...I'm getting ready to place a Netrition order (wanting to make your Southern Comfort)...but I don't see the LorAnn Oils peach flavoring. Could I sub the Orange Cream...or would that totally change the flavor?

There's a punch recipe I've served in the past using Southern Comfort and I'm wanting to make your SC so I can make this punch lower carb.

locarbman 07-12-2010 04:24 PM

Hi Pam,

Southern Comfort does require the use of Peach Flavor...I note that Netrition only carries 22 of LorAnn's 80 flavors...you may find a source on-line with a Google Search for 'LorAnn Peach'...this would be best for a Southern Comfort approximation in your punch recipe.

You can certainly use the Orange Cream flavor for an Orange Cream Liqueur or recipe flavoring extract...they are all good! ;-)

Speck333 07-12-2010 05:15 PM

Pam, you can also try a candy making or cake decorating store (that's where I found them).