Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2008, 06:27 PM   #61
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: luvdanrs
Stats: 243/221.5/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 2006
ok anyone have a delicious pumpkin cheesecake recipe using splenda as sweetner???? Awesome recipes cant wait to try some of them...sound yummmmmy!!!
luvdanrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2008, 07:24 AM   #62
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: regandy
Stats: (hi 225)185/161/140
WOE: LowCarb
Start Date: every single morning
BUMPING -- WORTH BUMPING AGAIN AND AGAIN... ENJOY!!
regandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:37 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
I cannot beleive this thread sat untouched for 4 years before someone bumped it. It's chock FULL of great ideas! I'm gonna work on my list and see what I can make to take to the in-laws' this year. Last year I pretty much only ate turkey and green beans on Thanksgiving. THIS year, I'm gonna offer to bring sme things so I can eat, too!
Mommie22boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:33 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bethjoyce55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeteater View Post
Posted here in the past:

Cauliflower & Bacon Salad

1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
12 oz. bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 red onion, halved and sliced
1 head lettuce, torn into bite-size
pieces (can use a bag of pre-washed iceberg
lettuce)

Dressing:
1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
1 packet Splenda

In a big bowl, layer the lettuce,
then the cauliflower, bacon and red onion, in that
order. Stir together the dressing
ingredients and set aside. Just before serving,
toss the dressing into the salad
and serve. 6-8 servings.
You could make a seven layer salad also, but use on the bottom, torn up lettuce, top with peas, crumbled bacon, and shredded cheese. Top with the dressing, frig overnight, and toss before serving.
bethjoyce55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #65
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: luvdanrs
Stats: 243/221.5/150
Start Date: December 2006
Bump...still looking for a to die for pumpkin cheesecake recipe!!!
luvdanrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:12 PM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdanrs View Post
Bump...still looking for a to die for pumpkin cheesecake recipe!!!
Have you tried Wifezilla's?

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ke-recipe.html

I haven't made it yet, but she's already been getting rave reviews. I'm definately going to make this one!!
Old 11-15-2008, 11:11 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buttonwillow
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: RE-start date Feb. 2, 2008
Cauliflower

For the first time I made a mashed potato substitute out of cauliflower which tastes really good. I recently read the tip that to be successful, you have to press out as much water as possible from the cooked cauli I think I've read this before but never took it too seriously. Yesterday I used 5 tea towels to press out water from one head of cooled, steamed cauli. I reheated the resulting mess in the microwave then added butter and cream cheese, mixing with a wooden spoon till the butter and cream cheese were mostly melted and well-distributed. Then I added a bit of sour cream, mixed in. Now I took my stick blender and zipped it around till the stuff was quickly smooth and creamy looking. Next came some salt and grated cheese that I mixed in by hand. This can then be baked with more cheese on top.

There are several recipes on this site and elsewhere. Use any that appeal to you. But, believe me, the creamy, mashed potato look and feel can't be achieved without getting the cauli pretty dry. The cauli flavor is quite mild and the addition of lovely extras like butter, cheese, crumbled bacon,etc. makes a very good tasting product. If you used strong tasting ingredients like garlic you might succeed in masking it altogether.

This is all rather labor intensive and one head of cauli, with water removed, results in a much diminished volume. I can see that it I'll have to prepare at least 2 heads of cauli to make a respectable sized dish for sharing at Thanksgiving. But it's good.

Started Atkins 2/4/03
Height 5' 6"
Start Weight-- 165
Re-induct 2/3/08
Reduce carbs & calories 6/28/09
Weight on 9/13/09 151.5 lbs
buttonwillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:08 PM   #68
Not Jake

Gallery: Jake
WOE: Plain old Atkins
Start Date: 8/22/1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonwillow View Post
For the first time I made a mashed potato substitute out of cauliflower which tastes really good. I recently read the tip that to be successful, you have to press out as much water as possible from the cooked cauli I think I've read this before but never took it too seriously. Yesterday I used 5 tea towels to press out water from one head of cooled, steamed cauli. I reheated the resulting mess in the microwave then added butter and cream cheese, mixing with a wooden spoon till the butter and cream cheese were mostly melted and well-distributed. Then I added a bit of sour cream, mixed in. Now I took my stick blender and zipped it around till the stuff was quickly smooth and creamy looking. Next came some salt and grated cheese that I mixed in by hand. This can then be baked with more cheese on top.

There are several recipes on this site and elsewhere. Use any that appeal to you. But, believe me, the creamy, mashed potato look and feel can't be achieved without getting the cauli pretty dry. The cauli flavor is quite mild and the addition of lovely extras like butter, cheese, crumbled bacon,etc. makes a very good tasting product. If you used strong tasting ingredients like garlic you might succeed in masking it altogether.

This is all rather labor intensive and one head of cauli, with water removed, results in a much diminished volume. I can see that it I'll have to prepare at least 2 heads of cauli to make a respectable sized dish for sharing at Thanksgiving. But it's good.

I have had luck in the past separating it out into florets and putting it in a low-heat oven to dry.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:06 PM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Just bumping to the top!

I'm going to add to the list. . .lc cole slaw! (A 'lil ACV, mayo, splenda and splash of hwc on top of your cole slaw mix. Yummers!!)
Old 11-17-2008, 05:02 PM   #70
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:

Try steaming this in the microwave with the tiniest bit of water. Not much moisture in the cauliflower to press out.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:04 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3Diva
Stats: High Weight: 255, 5'7", 34yo
WOE: PSMF - Lyle McDonald
Start Date: Round 1: 3/23/2008 Round 2: 6/16/2008
Don't squeeze the cauliflower!

I second the previous poster.

Boiling always makes the cauli too wet even with all that miserable squeezing.

I use a round casserole dish with a lid in the microwave.
From frozen, add NO water
From fresh, add 1 Tbsp water, or better yet butter

Cook for 9 minutes (I have a 1100 watt micro).
Use the lid to flip and drain the dish.

For 1 10oz bag frozen, I add

2 oz. cream cheese,
2 Tbsp butter
salt and butter to taste

And mix with stick blender.

Fast, Easy, Delicious!
3Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:28 PM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

I'm headed to the in-law's for Thanksgiving, so I'm not making the turkey. But I DO want to have food to eat, so here's what I'm making to take with us on Thursday. Sorry this is so long. . .but here goes:

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Prozak's Cream Cheese Salad:[/COLOR]

It goes SO GOOD on a fork full of turkey meat and a bit of cranberry sauce (splenda sweet of course..)

1 cup whipping cream (not whipped)
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup Splenda
1 8oz pk cream cheese (room temp)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup cold water
1 pk knox unflavored gelatin

pour gelatin into 1/4 cup water, set aside

heat cream and sour cream in medium pan. (do not boil, just warmed)
add vanilla and sugar, stir to dissolve sugar

beat cream cheese like a rented mule, add to warmed cream mixture. Mix well and add the gelatin/water....

pour into 4 cup gelatin mold (lightly brush the sides with a little oil) and refrigerate until cool and firm. I don't bother with the mold... it never lasts long enough to be a appreciated, I just serve in a bowl. Trust me... this will be a family favorite

[COLOR="darkred"]Wifezilla's Low Carb No-Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake[/COLOR]

Crust

1 1/2 cups almond meal (or hazelnut meal)
4 Tbsp melted butter
2 packets of Splenda (or 3 Tbsp erythritol)

Filling

1 14oz can pumpkin
2 8oz packages of cream cheese
1/4 cup whipping cream
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp allspice
1 tsp vanilla extract
8 packets of Splenda (or other sweetener equivalent)

Make the crust first, mixing the melted butter, sweetener and almond meal throughly. Press in to a 9" pie pan or a 9x13 rectangular pan to make pumpkin cheesecake bars. Bake at 350║ for 10-15 minutes (until lightly browned). Allow crust to cool while you make the filling.

For the filling, using a large mixing bowl and an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth then slowly add pumpkin mix. Next, add spices and sweetener. Add cream and whip on high speed until filling is fluffy.

Pour filling in to cooled crust. If desired, sprinkle top with a bit of cinnamon and a little more almond meal. Chill for 2 hours prior to serving.

[COLOR="darkred"]Linda Sue's Cheesy Broccoli Casserole[/COLOR]

CHEESY BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
14-16 ounce package frozen broccoli florets
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
4 green onions, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 pieces bacon, chopped and fried until crisp

Cook the broccoli 4-5 minutes or just until tender-crisp; drain very well. Put in a greased 2-quart casserole. Mix in the cream cheese, cheddar, green onion, salt, pepper and bacon. Bake at 350║ for 20-30 minutes, until bubbly.

Makes 4-6 servings
Can be frozen

Per 1/4 Recipe: 278 Calories; 22g Fat; 14g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
Per 1/6 Recipe: 185 Calories; 15g Fat; 10g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

This very good and is Just Like Stuffed Baked Potatoes made with broccoli instead of cauliflower. I cut back on the cream cheese and cheddar because the broccoli florets I bought came in a 14 ounce bag instead of 16 ounce. Unlike the cauliflower version, you don't want to overcook the broccoli so it will hold its shape and not turn to mush.

[COLOR="darkred"]LC Cranberry Sauce [/COLOR](posted by GHarkness)

Throw a 12-ounce bag of cranberries (rinsed and drained) in a pan with 2 cups of water. Add your favorite artificial sweetener to equal 2 cups of sugar. Bring to a boil and let the berries pop. Remove from heat and add 1/2 a tub of Orange Crystal Lite and a package of SF Raspberry Jello. Stir well to make sure they are all dissolved and chill overnight.

The quantities here are NOT critical. Add more or less, change flavors, taste as you go. I get lots of requests for this cranberry sauce (in fact, I make it all year long and stir into my homemade yogurt).

[COLOR="darkred"]Table Cream Fudge[/COLOR]

2 cans (7.6 oz each ) Nestle Table Cream Chilled (mex section at WM)
5 Tbsp of sugar sub. of your choice to equal 2 1/2 cups sugar.
3 oz Sugar - free Chocolate--broken into pieces
4 Tbsp sifted cocoa of choice
2 tsp vanilla

Chill the cans of cream in the refrigerator for sverals hours or overnight. Carefully drain all the liquid from each of the cans of chilled cream. Put the remaining solid cream in a heavy stainless sauce pan. Add the sweetener and stir.
Over medium heat, bring to boil.
Boil, stirring constantly, for exactly 7 minutes. You may need to lower the heat during cooking.
Just stir continually to prevent scorching.

Remove from heat immediately add:
Chocolate pieces.
Stir until melted.
Add the "sifted" cocoa, 1 Tbsp at a time, stiring until incorporated after each addition.
Stir in vanilla.

[COLOR="darkred"]Andrea's LC Coleslaw[/COLOR]

3/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup hwc
3 T apple cider vinegar
2 T splenda
1 bag chopped coleslaw mix

Mix together the first 4 ingredients very well. Add the coleslaw mix and stir until well-coated. This is best when you can let this sit in the fridge for an hour or two before eating.

Gobble! Gobble!

You know the laws of dieting. All gains are water weight. All losses are of fat! --SoHappy
Old 11-25-2008, 10:26 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

In Defense of Squeezing

Ladies, I have been steaming my cauliflower, not boiling it. Can stove-top steaming be so different from microwave steaming? You still have to cook the cauli till it's soft, right? The result was not at all soggy but I still felt the need to squeeze. I will allow, however, for a certain amount of compulsive behavior on my part.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:36 AM   #74

Gallery: Dreamchaser
bump
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:01 PM   #75

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Ladies, I have been steaming my cauliflower, not boiling it. Can stove-top steaming be so different from microwave steaming? You still have to cook the cauli till it's soft, right? The result was not at all soggy but I still felt the need to squeeze. I will allow, however, for a certain amount of compulsive behavior on my part.
Cauli gets soft in the microwave too.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:49 PM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Diva View Post
I second the previous poster.

Boiling always makes the cauli too wet even with all that miserable squeezing.

I use a round casserole dish with a lid in the microwave.
From frozen, add NO water
From fresh, add 1 Tbsp water, or better yet butter

Cook for 9 minutes (I have a 1100 watt micro).
Use the lid to flip and drain the dish.

For 1 10oz bag frozen, I add

2 oz. cream cheese,
2 Tbsp butter
salt and butter to taste

And mix with stick blender.

Fast, Easy, Delicious!
I actually boil my cauliflower-- mainly because if you put a little heavy whipping cream in it, the cauliflower turns out a beautiful pristine white.

I just drain it well in a colander and press dry with dishcloths, paper towels and newspaper.

Works fine.

I'm going to try your method, though and see how that works. Thanks for the great ideas.
Erica L. Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
marking my spot here,lol
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:38 PM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Bumping for sub and for Thanksgiving 2009
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:48 PM   #79
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Reva72
Stats: Morbidly Obese
WOE: Weight Watchers plus
Start Date: 3/9/14
Pumping.
Reva72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #80
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
Thanks, Reva. I've copied several recipes to try at Thanksgiving this year.
lindaokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:53 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
bumping again
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Bump
Old 11-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #83

bump
Old 11-22-2012, 06:37 AM   #84
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
bump
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #85

bump
Old 11-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Any fabulous new recipes out there? The ones in this thread are good but we always want something new.