Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2003, 05:13 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ojailyn
Homemade tomato sauce recipe

Someone just gave me a bunch of tomatoes from their garden. Anyone have a good low carb recipe so I can use them up?

Thanks
ojailyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2003, 06:42 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: snowrose
Stats: 18/18/12
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2002
Boil some water and drop in a bunch of tomatoes until a single layer of tomatoes is floating on the water. When the kettle is full, time for 1 minute. (This is parboiling.) Take the tomatoes out and place in a bowl of cool water, then go on to finish the rest of them in the same manner.

Now you'll be able to easily remove the skins from the tomatoes. Most of them should come off in one piece right in your hand. Throw the skins away.

Dump the boiling water out of the kettle you were using to parboil them. With your hand over the kettle, crush each tomato so the juice runs into the kettle and then drop the crushed tomato into the kettle. Do the same with the other tomatoes.

When you've finished all the tomatoes, turn the burner back on to about Medium High until the tomato juices start to bubble. Turn the heat down to low, so it doesn't spatter everywhere. Put the lid on the pan and let simmer for about an hour, or until the meat of the tomatoes has pretty much broken down so that all you have is a fine sauce.

Add oregano, garlic salt and, if necessary, a touch of Splenda to taste. Let those ingredients cook in for at least another 15-20 minutes. Add a little water if the sauce seems to be drying out.

That's a basic recipe... HTH!

Last edited by snowrose; 09-29-2003 at 06:44 PM..
snowrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 09:28 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ojailyn
Many thanks...I appreciate your feed back -
ojailyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 11:13 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgarza
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2002; Jan 2005
Snowrose, you look great

Hi Snowrose,
I notice you have posted a new picture. You look GREAT!!!!! You're an inspiration to me!
Thanks,
Carol
cgarza is offline   Reply With Quote