Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2003, 09:46 AM   #1
amyrose

Gallery: amyrose
homemade low-carb baking mix

Hello. I am looking for a recipe to make my own low-carb baking mix from scratch. If anyone has a recipe they'd like to share, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for your time.

Amy

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2003, 09:55 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JazzyV
Stats: 265.5/254.0/185
WOE: Low Carb/Weight Watchers
Quote:
Originally posted by JazzyV
* Exported from MasterCook *

Atkins Bake Mix - Homemade

Recipe By : Sherrielee
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup soy flour
2 cups soy protein isolate
2 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Splenda, granular

Sift together then store and use as you would Dr. A's. It's much cheaper and things come out about the same. 3 carbs per 1/2 cup serving.

Yield: "3 cups"

383 Calories; 18g Fat (38.8% calories from fat); 29g Protein; 33g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 9694mg Sodium.

Atkins Bake Mix - No Soy

1 cup almond flour
1 cup vital wheat gluten
1 cup Designer Whey Natural protein powder
4 packets splenda, packet
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix alll together and store in a zip lock bag in the fridge. When a recpie calls for bake mix, just measure according to the recipe.

Yield: "3 cups"

1457 Calories; 66g Fat (39.3% calories from fat); 169g Protein; 60g Carbohydrate; 16g Dietary Fiber; 80mg Cholesterol; 4763mg Sodium.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Atkins Bake Mix - WPI version

3 cups wheat protein isolate
2 tablespoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Sift together, then store.

573 Calories; 1g Fat (1.0% calories from fat); 128g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 9683mg Sodium.
JazzyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 11:21 AM   #3
amyrose

Sherrielee, Thanks so much for the recipes! Can you give me a bit more info about the texture-properties that each "mix" has? Do you use all three or is there one that you prefer over the others. Also, where can I get the ingredients that you have listed for the best prices???

Thanks again for your time.

Amy
Old 09-29-2003, 02:00 PM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
This WPI version......how is anyone using it? I mean, this is plain WPI basically, not mixed with almond flour/meal. Or are you using like 1/4 c, with 1/2 c nut flour?
Thanks,
Bette

Atkins Bake Mix - WPI version
3 cups wheat protein isolate
2 tablespoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Sift together, then store.

573 Calories; 1g Fat (1.0% calories from fat); 128g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 9683mg Sodium.
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 05:45 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Pam40
Stats: 213/175/160
WOE: Whole foods, balanced diet
Start Date: 02/07/13
I made the WPI version and so far it hasn't worked out very well. Used it in place of the Bake Mix for Sherrie's Waffle Buns and the consistency was way off. The batter was runny whereas when I use the Bake Mix it's very thick. I added up to an entire cup extra and it still didn't work out.
Pam40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 08:07 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abbymommy
Stats: size 12 after baby/size 6
WOE: healthy sometimes low-carb
Start Date: 1997
I know it is pricy but Carbsense 0 carb bake mix is awesome and goes a long way in recipes
abbymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 08:19 AM   #7
amyrose

Carbsense 0 Carb Bake Mix

I just wanted to share a comment about Carbsense's 0 Carb Bake Mix. I made the recipe from their site using the Bake Mix, and our pancakes were like rubber and the insides didn't cook. I have two boxes, and I am afraid to make anything else with it, because I wasn't happy with the pancake recipe.

I wrote to Carbsense and shared what happened, and he said that the texture will be more rubbery than most, and that you have to use a higher heat on the griddle and cook them a bit longer to make sure they are cooked through.

Any other recipes that you have used that turn out better than the guilt-free pancakes?

thanks so much.

Amy
Old 10-01-2003, 01:08 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Freckles
I used Sherrie's soy based mix for pancakes with a little flax meal stirred into it and we thought they were light and very good. I also made her cornbread recipe with the soy baking mix and it was awesome. I just had a left-over piece today with butter and log cabin SF syrup--good! I got the soy products at a local healthfood store.
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 06:32 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RVlady
For a bake mix substitute, I use the following:

2 cups WPI
2 cups Soy Protein Isolate
2 cups soy flour (NOW brand made from roasted soybeans)

I do not add any seasonings to this mix. I just stir the whole thing together very well. Then when a recipe calls for flour I measure out from my mix, then add whatever seasoning are called for in the recipe. So far, we have liked everything I've baked using this.

I forgot to mention that I do NOT add any salt to any recipe that I use WPI in. WPI is extremely salty on it's own; no extra salt needed.

Last edited by RVlady; 10-02-2003 at 10:45 AM..
RVlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 02:00 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abbymommy
Stats: size 12 after baby/size 6
WOE: healthy sometimes low-carb
Start Date: 1997
amyrose

I have never made pancakes out of the bake mix, but I have made pancakes out of the pancake mix and found them to be pretty good

I always add about 3 ounces of cream cheese and about 1/4 cup of flaxmeal to the pancake mix to stretch it and add flavor

I have made the cinnamon muffins and they are great - but I do add a lot of flaxmeal, and extra water.

I also used the bake mix mixed with egg and parmesean as a batter. I fried eggplant slices in it and made a low-carb eggplant parmesean. Yum
abbymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hmartinp
Soy as an "A" Mix Substitute

I went to the health food store to see what it would cost to make the mix substitute using Soy products and here is my analysis:

Soy Protein $4.60/lb bulk

Soy Flour $2.70/lb

So to get equiv to 2lb Atkins mix is $7.30+ 7.75% CA tax = $7.87

Amazon is $9.29 when you order 3 and get free shipping. So save (1-7.87/9.29) = 15% mixing it myself (ignoring the cost of salt, baking powder, and sweetener).

So is added hassle mixing it to save a buck-forty and Amazon comes to the door in nice sealed bags.

But your availability may be different. And Amazon will be collecting CA sales tax starting later this mo, so there goes 1/2 the savings.

Last edited by hmartinp; 09-05-2012 at 10:57 AM..
hmartinp is offline   Reply With Quote