Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2003, 12:29 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lolabear64
Rice substitutes

My husband has agreed to do a 2 week trial of Atkins, but he doesn't really want to give up rice. Is there something else he can eat? I keep telling him he won't miss it, but he still isn't sure about that part. He knows the plan works because I have been doing it and have lost weight, but he doesn't want to give up "his rice" Any suggestions? Thanks
Leah
lolabear64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2003, 12:45 PM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: erikak1970
Stats: 185(?)/139
WOE: Atkins & Just plain lowcarb
Start Date: 11/2002
A couple of suggestions. Take cauliflower, and put it through the food processor (or blender should work) until it's ground up into small pieces. Then, you can steam it like rice.

I've heard that Textured Vegetable Protein (or just TVP) seems to work as a rice substitute, as well. I guess you add some water and can steam it like rice either on the stove or the microwave. I've got some, but have not tried it, yet

If he's not very happy about that, you'll have to really, really cut back portions on rice (make it 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup a serving), but there's always brown rice, or wild rice--slightly lower carb count than regular rice. It's not suggested on induction or any part of Atkins--until maintenance, but for men, for whatever reason, they can usually lose even if they have a higher amount of carbs than a woman.
Old 09-27-2003, 02:34 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dougloid
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: January 2003
Just for the record... I was a big rice eater until I started Atkins in January. I used to eat rice with dinner every evening. I thought it would be difficult to give up rice, but I don't miss it at all any more. There's too many other good things to eat.

Cheers,
dougloid
dougloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 07:20 PM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: tom_912
Stats: 222/213/195
WOE: Atkins with cla/gla
Start Date: 9/26/2005 again
Try the mock fried rice, it is wonderful. If I was blindfolded the first time I ate it I would never be able to tell the difference. It is now a staple for me. You can find the recipes in the recipe room.
tom_912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 08:12 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lolabear64
Thanks!

Thanks for all your replies. I will be heading over to the recipes to find the mock rice. I'm sure once he gets started he won't miss the rice, but I would like to tell him there are alternatives. Just getting him to try Atkins is a BIG step!
lolabear64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 09:29 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SSin-Deb
Stats: 245/164 /160 ~ 6'1"
WOE: HCG R4P2 (previous Somersizer)
Start Date: April, 2008 (Somersize 2-01)
Faux Fried Rice

I'm not sure if this is the same recipe as in the Recipe Room - but it's the one we use and we love it. My notes are at the end. *‹*

Faux Fried Rice
1 head of raw cauliflower, grated (had about 3.5 cups of grated, loosely packed cauliflower)
1-2 bunches green onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 - 3 Tbsp. of soy sauce
1/2 to 1 tsp. of garlic salt (donít use too much - itís salty from the soy sauce)
3 eggs, beaten
Oil
Pork (bacon), chicken, or shrimp, cooked (optional)

In a wok or large pan, heat enough oil to cover bottom of pan. Fry minced garlic and white part of onions for approx. 1 min. Add grated cauliflower and fry for approximately 5 min, stirring constantly. Add soy sauce, garlic salt, green onion tops, and meat (optional) and stir until mixed. Push mixture to side of pan. Add more oil if necessary, and scramble eggs in empty side of pan until done but still moist. Stir eggs into "rice" and remove from heat. Serves 3 as a side dish.
Note: I didn't measure anything. These measurements are just estimates.
Note: The secret is to use raw cauliflower. I tried this with leftover cooked cauliflower last week, and it wasn't very good. Tonight I used raw, and everyone liked it.

Debís notes: I use bacon grease to saute everything in and to flavor it. I then throw in cooked, crumbled bacon too. I remove everything before I scramble the eggs - otherwise I get a big mess. This recipe really is pretty incredible!!
Old 09-28-2003, 06:05 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Here a a few recipes that use cauliflower for rice. They are all very good. The jambalaya was especially good.

FAUX RICE
1 medium fresh cauliflower (about 20 ounces after trimming)
Butter
Salt and pepper

Trim leaves and most of the tough stalks of the cauliflower, then coarsely chop into manageable pieces that will fit the feed tube of your food processor. Using the grating disk, process the cauliflower; put in a 2 1/2 quart casserole with a lid. Add 2-4 tablespoons of water, cover and microwave on HIGH 8-14 minutes. Stir every 4-5 minutes and check for doneness. When tender, but not mushy, add some butter; season with salt and pepper to taste.

Makes 6-10 servings (6 servings - 4 carbs each) (8 servings - 3 carbs each) (10 servings - 2.5 carbs each)

As you can see in the photo, this does look a lot like real rice. When topped with something, like Chinese chicken, you might be able to fool your family. My husband said it didn't taste quite like rice, but he liked it even better than rice. Mine took 14 minutes to cook in my tired, old microwave.

TIP: Grating cauliflower, even with a food processor, can make a big mess. Little bits of cauliflower will end up all over the place. To keep the mess to a minimum, put your food processor close to your kitchen sink and place your cutting board in the sink that has your garbage disposal. Most of the little bits will stay in the sink and you can simply rinse them down the drain.

GARLIC "RICE" SIDE DISH
1 batch Faux Rice (or whatever you've got left over)
Butter
Garlic powder
Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste
Fresh parsely, minced
Chives, minced

Stir everything into the Faux Rice. Microwave until hot and serve. Carb count will vary depending on how much "rice" you use and the quantities of the added ingredients. I estimate about 6 carbs per serving.

EASY JAMBALAYA
1 medium cauliflower, grated (see Faux Rice recipe for tips on grating cauliflower) (20 ounces)
1 green pepper, coarsely chopped (6 ounces)
2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
1 small onion, diced (2 1/2 ounces)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 boneless chicken breasts, cubed
8 ounces smoked sausage, sliced
8 ounces ham, cubed
15 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
8 ounce can tomato sauce
3 teaspoons Cajun Seasoning
Salt and pepper, to taste
Cooking oil

Heat about 2 tablespoons oil in an 8-quart Dutch oven or pot. Saute the peppers, celery, onion, garlic, chicken and Cajun seasoning, on medium-high heat, until the chicken is nearly done. Add the sausage, ham and cauliflower. Mix well. Stir in tomatoes and tomato sauce. Bring to boil, turn down to low. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes until the cauliflower is tender, but not mushy. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Makes 8-12 servings (8 servings - 12 carbs each) (12 servings - 8 carbs each)

My husband gave this a big thumbs up! It's basically my regular jambalaya recipe with cauliflower instead of rice. My son couldn't taste the difference, but he did say that the texture was slightly different than real rice. The carb count is pretty high for this dish, but if you deduct the fiber, it's not so bad and most of the carbs come from very good veggies.

CAJUN SEASONING
2 tablespoons basil
2 tablespoons oregano
2 tablespoons paprika
3 teaspoons thyme
2 teaspoons cayenne
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 bay leaves

Grind in a food processor and store in an airtight container. Makes about 25 teaspoons (1 carb per teaspoon)
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote