Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2003, 07:03 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: roro
Stats: 206/190/125
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12-29-2000, restart 12/30/13
How do I make relish out of pickles?

I have a gallon ziploc bag of pickles left from the picnic, plus a big jar form BJ's. can I just grind them up in a food processor? do I have to add anything? whats IN relish anyway?
roro is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2003, 03:34 AM   #2

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
To answer your question about what's IN relish - pretty much anything you want! There are so many different kinds, from sweet relishes to hot pepper relishes. Relish is basically a condiment that combines fruits or vegetables, or both, in a brine, that is usually a combination of sweet and sour (sugar and vinegar).

Pickle relish is usually made from raw cucumbers, with the addition of other ingredients. I don't see why you couldn't use your ready-made pickles in this recipe from Farm Journal's Freezing & Canning Cookbook:

[color=green]Golden Cucumber Relish

12 pounds pickling cucumbers (12 large)
2 pounds onions, peeled
3/4 cup canning/pickling salt
2 branches celery
3 sweet red peppers
3 green peppers'
4 cups 5% acid strength cider vinegar
4 cups sugar (substitute Splenda)
1 Tbsp. mustard seeds

*Peel cucumbers, slice lengthwise; scrape out seeds and soft centers with a spoon. (Do this with the pickles, or you'll have a mushy mess!). Dice cucumbers and onions into 1/4 inch cubes. (Do this step, but set the pickles aside). Place (the onions) in a crock , add salt and mix well. (a large glass bowl will do, just place a heavy pan inside with a couple of tin cans or a brick. This is to release the liquid from the ingredients.) Cover. Let stand 10 - 12 hours at room temperature. Drain well. Dice celery and peppers in 1/4 inch cubes.

*Combine vinegar, sugar and mustard seeds in 8 qt. kettle; add vegetables (including pickles) and boil gently, uncovered, over low heat, stirring often, until celery, onions and cucumbers (pickles) are translucent, about 30 minutes.

*Ladle into 8 hot pint jars; cover with syrup, filling to within 1/4" of jar top. Wipe jar rim; adjust lids.

*Process in boiling water bath 15 minutes. Start to count processing time when water in canner returns to boiling. Remove jars and complet seals unless closures are self sealing type. Makes 8 pints.[/color]

Sounds like a lot of work, doesn't it? If you're not into doing the canning thing, I'd be inclined to just chop up some veggies (like the ones listed), cook them in some sort of syrup, then freeze in several containers. When you want to have relish, just cut up your pickles and add them to the mixture. Your pickles, kept in their pickling juice, should keep for quite a while.

Hope this helps! Let me know what you decided to do!

Auntie

Proud member of the SHRINKING VIOLETS
[/color]

[color=red]At the Canada Challenge thread every day![/color]
auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 01:45 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Twokitty
For a long time now I've just been chopping dill pickles in the elec chopper to fill a small hoseradish jar and they taste fine to me for deviled eggs, meat salads, etc. Can't see a lot of difference between them and the expensive ones for my use. Can add splenda or chop the splenda sweetened ones. I have frozen chopped peppers if I want them in something, and fresh onions. I have a wonderful green tomato relish I've thought of converting but the tomatoes are higher in carbs. There is a substitute for everything and the old stuff just doesn't taste as good anymore.
Twokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 01:51 PM   #4
Come join us on the Game Board

Location: retired now - I ski 40+ days annually and do marathons. 1st TIME GRANDMOTHER 6/18/07
Gallery: Sharon
Stats: GO UCLA - BEAT USC. ALWAYS STAY POSITIVE
By the way, there's a great recipe for converting dill pickles to sweet ones in the recipe room.
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 01:56 PM   #5

Gallery: roro
Stats: 206/190/125
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12-29-2000, restart 12/30/13
thats the one I used, I soaked the pickles, then drained, chopped, and added cider vinegar and splenda.
roro is offline   Reply With Quote