Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 06:02 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: h82bl8
Stats: 220/170
WOE: what works for me
Start Date: Apr. 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionheart88 View Post
Without a doubt I'd have to say Turkey Creek, they have them in Plain, BBQ, Hot BBQ & Salt & Vinegar and the only place I've ever seen them is at this Chevron store locally. However you can order them from their website, their hot sauce is great too.
ITA!!
h82bl8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2011, 06:06 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: h82bl8
Stats: 220/170
WOE: what works for me
Start Date: Apr. 2013
Linda Sue - if you have a "La Michoacana" near you they have the chicharrones carnudos, they also have freshly made pork rinds that are 6-10 inches long!!
h82bl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:37 AM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by tara_verd View Post
LindaSue, I hope you read back...I found that Fiesta here does have many delicious flavors from a brand called Mac's; salt and pepper, jalepeno and cheese, and lime and chile were the 3 I picked up (plus plain.) They also make them fresh on the premises, but kind of large bags; I don't know that even I can eat that many in a week!! However, I DO know where to pick them up for my next LC party.
Thanks for the info. I love Mac's but I've never tried the flavored ones. I usually buy the cracklings with skin attached at Walmart. They're more expensive than the light airy pork rinds but I think you get more for your money.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:39 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by h82bl8 View Post
Linda Sue - if you have a "La Michoacana" near you they have the chicharrones carnudos, they also have freshly made pork rinds that are 6-10 inches long!!
I'd never heard of the place so I Googled it. Turns out that there are two locations not too far from me. One is 8 1/2 miles away and the other one is 9 miles from here. My birthday is on Thursday and I might just make my husband take me on a field trip! Meat and pork rinds would make a super birthday present!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #35
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
LOL! Funny what we consider appropriate presents while we low carb, isn't it!

I'd think that was a great birthday meal myself - and HAPPY BIRTHDAY in advance, LindaSue!

How IS Jerry doing, BTW?
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
LOL! Funny what we consider appropriate presents while we low carb, isn't it!

I'd think that was a great birthday meal myself - and HAPPY BIRTHDAY in advance, LindaSue!

How IS Jerry doing, BTW?
Jerry's doing very well. He just went for his one year post-transplant doctor visit last week and he said that he's looking good. However, they ran a bunch of tests and there are a couple of things that they want to check out. A couple of times in the past few months his kidney numbers looked a little off and they might want Jerry to see a urologist about that. Prograf can be hard on the kidneys so they may end up having to put Jerry on a different anti-rejection med. Jerry went for a CT scan this morning to check a "nodule" that they saw on his lung last week. Not sure what that might be.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #37
Gadget Gal

My gosh, it's been over a year already?! Wow.

I'm so happy to hear that overall he's doing well. I hope they can get him on some meds that won't stress his liver and kidneys.

AND hoping that the nodule they spotted is nothing to worry about! and for you both.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #38

I know. I can't believe that it's already been a year since his transplant.

We ended up going on that pork rind field trip this afternoon. I needed to take my computer to the repair shop which is just down the road from La Michoacana. I bought some of the meaty chicharrones and also some of the cracklings with skin like the Mac's that I like. They call the meaty ones chicharrone con carne but they look just like the ones on that website that you posted, Charski. The weren't being made fresh at that moment so I didn't buy too many. I was afraid that they wouldn't be as good after sitting around all day.

The meaty ones aren't quite what I was expecting but they're pretty good. They're not really crispy and they're very meaty. They're like eating slabs of room temperature pork roast with a thick layer of slightly crunchy roasted fat on it. They also have a slight smoky flavor. They're very rich and I can only nibble on a couple bites at a time.

The cracklins didn't taste all that much different than Mac's. Just maybe ever so slightly fresher tasting.

I also bought a couple pounds of boneless chicken thighs that they had on sale this week for only $1.59 pound. I'll probably use those to make Seoul chicken sometime.

Here's a question for you, Charski. Do the meaty chicharrones need to be kept refrigerated? I expect so because of the meat on them. In any case, I've got them in the fridge just to be safe. I think I'm going to suggest to Jerry that he not eat any of those. We munched on the cracklings in the car on the way home but the meat ones looked too messy for in the car. I'd hate for him to get sick from them from not being kept chilled in the store. In fact, they seemed kind of warm when they handed me the bag but not hot. Now I'm having second thoughts about eating them myself. I brought them home in an insulated bag at least.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
I know. I can't believe that it's already been a year since his transplant.

We ended up going on that pork rind field trip this afternoon. I needed to take my computer to the repair shop which is just down the road from La Michoacana. I bought some of the meaty chicharrones and also some of the cracklings with skin like the Mac's that I like. They call the meaty ones chicharrone con carne but they look just like the ones on that website that you posted, Charski. The weren't being made fresh at that moment so I didn't buy too many. I was afraid that they wouldn't be as good after sitting around all day.

The meaty ones aren't quite what I was expecting but they're pretty good. They're not really crispy and they're very meaty. They're like eating slabs of room temperature pork roast with a thick layer of slightly crunchy roasted fat on it. They also have a slight smoky flavor. They're very rich and I can only nibble on a couple bites at a time.

The cracklins didn't taste all that much different than Mac's. Just maybe ever so slightly fresher tasting.

I also bought a couple pounds of boneless chicken thighs that they had on sale this week for only $1.59 pound. I'll probably use those to make Seoul chicken sometime.

Here's a question for you, Charski. Do the meaty chicharrones need to be kept refrigerated? I expect so because of the meat on them. In any case, I've got them in the fridge just to be safe. I think I'm going to suggest to Jerry that he not eat any of those. We munched on the cracklings in the car on the way home but the meat ones looked too messy for in the car. I'd hate for him to get sick from them from not being kept chilled in the store. In fact, they seemed kind of warm when they handed me the bag but not hot. Now I'm having second thoughts about eating them myself. I brought them home in an insulated bag at least.
Linda Sue when my dad would make them he would keep them in the fridge. HTH...
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #40
Gadget Gal

Yes, I keep mine in the fridge after I get them home too - and they ARE warm, and in an insulated foil-lined bag when I buy them.

They must fry the ones here a bit more, they're pretty crunchy!!

Tell Jerry HURRAH! for getting past the one year mark and doing so well! And pats on the back for YOU because I know you're a lot of the reason he's where he is now health-wise, LindaSue.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #41
Gadget Gal

Just wanted to make an addendum to the chicharron carnudos - I just bought two more BIG pieces and asked the guy who actually MAKES them if they have flour? He said, no - one day, they cut the skins and rub them down with salt; the next day, they fry them up, nothing else added.

And I might also add - YUM. I love this stuff!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #42

Gallery: SummerAnne
Stats: 254/247.6/No Specific Goal
WOE: NK
Start Date: 8/1/13
The only brand I've ever tried is Utz, Sam's Club has an 18oz tub for $6.38, at that price I'm sticking with that brand!

I'm not a huge fan, but discovered I do like them with cheese melted on top dipped in sour cream.
SummerAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #43

Quote:
Jerry went for a CT scan this morning to check a "nodule" that they saw on his lung last week. Not sure what that might be.
I just wanted to let you know that the results of the CT scan showed that there is nothing on Jerry's lung. He's fine.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
Quote:
I just wanted to let you know that the results of the CT scan showed that there is nothing on Jerry's lung. He's fine.
I am happy to hear that!
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #45
Gadget Gal

FANTASTIC news, LindaSue!
Old 04-27-2014, 07:54 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
This thread is an oldie but goodie! Has anyone come up with some new favorite brands in the past 3 years? My granddad made them fresh in his (once regionally famous) barbecue restaurant and I've never tasted anything quite so good since. Would really love to find someone who still makes them on premises!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:15 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
This thread is an oldie but goodie! Has anyone come up with some new favorite brands in the past 3 years? My granddad made them fresh in his (once regionally famous) barbecue restaurant and I've never tasted anything quite so good since. Would really love to find someone who still makes them on premises!
Our small city has a few locally owned stores that cater to the Hispanic population as well as the rest of us. The one I use has the lard we want as well as the chicharrones. So yummy and inexpensive.
lazy girl is offline   Reply With Quote