Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2003, 11:43 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
OMGOODNESS Veggie Chips!

Thank you Jenita (see the "Zucchini Chips thread") for the info on dehydrating zucchini into crispy chips!

I sliced up what I had on hand, squash and cucumber, and loaded up my dehydrator. I sprinkled on some garlic and herb seasoning and man oh man are these good! Crispy and crunchy! My husband ate one whole tray because I couldn unload them fast enough to stop him!!

I am now working on my second batch and this time I sprinkled on chili powder on some and garlic powder on others. YUMMM!!
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2003, 01:34 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scuzami
I guess I'll just have to try this...have about 3 dehydrators that have been collecting dust for some time...finally, something to use them for. Thanks for the input...and advice...
scuzami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 02:40 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Has anyone used a Ronco food dehydrator? Amazon has it for $39.99 (free shipping), but they aren't available yet. That sounds like a good price. The Target website has it for the same price, but they charge shipping.

I think my chip-munching husband might enjoy veggie chips. What are some other things besides zucchini that dehydrate well? What about sliced strawberries? Can cantaloupe be dried? Mushrooms? Tomatoes? Green peppers? Eggplant?

The blurb says that the Ronco also make jerky. Has anyone tried making a low carb jerky in it?
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 05:17 PM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: saprswife
Stats: 178/128/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/16/03
Quote:
Originally posted by LindaSue
Has anyone used a Ronco food dehydrator?
Hi Linda, I'm not sure what model the Ronco is, but I had one at one time and wasn't real happy with it. I now have a Snackmaster that I bought at WalMart, and I like it much better. I think it was right at $40 or so. The biggest difference was that my Ronco had NO temperature control...my Snackmaster does. I had to rotate the Ronco trays every several hours (a pain!!) but don't have to with my Snackmaster.

I have made jerky with mine, and it is SO good!!

Last edited by saprswife; 08-25-2003 at 05:21 PM..
saprswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 08:41 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jenita
Chips

I'm so glad you liked them! I don't think I would have ever thought about drying them if I hadn't come across it in my canning/freezing/drying book. Even then I was very skeptical. Were the cucumbers just as good? May have to give that a try. What a way to eat your veggies, huh?
Jenita
Jenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 08:44 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Jenita,

Yes, the cukes were just as good! I also did some kohlrabi, but they curled up and tasted a bit strong. These are really light and crispy and really help with the "crunch" factor!
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 05:40 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oreo2
WOE: lc
Just a fun tip for something you can dehydrate-marshmellows. My son loves them. They taste like astronaut icecream or the marshmellows in cereal. I havent tried it with the lc version of masrshmellows. I put them on my dehydrator for about three hours. They do need to be kept in a sealed container or they will rehydrate by the moisture in the air. Veggie chips are great!!! I sprinkle them with ranch dressing mix. Watch the carbs, needs very little mix as it is very strong.
oreo2 is offline   Reply With Quote