Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2003, 10:39 AM   #1
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Can you get tofu crisp without frying it?

I love the crispy fried tofu that a local Chinese restaurant does, but it always has an oily "feel" and taste to it...is there a way to cook tofu crisp without deep frying?
They serve it with a spicy peanut sauce that I'd love to make a low-carb version of too!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2003, 11:18 AM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Banshee5
I think you can do it but there's some extra work...tofu has alot of moisture....you can slice it across..(so it's like pieces of toast) and make a few layers with lots of paper towels between them. Then place a tray and add some weight (like cans, or plates) and this will help press out excess moisture. Don't make it too heavy or you get "mashed tofu" LOl.....Do this 2 or 3 times....change paper towels each time. Then you can saute in a non-stick pan with a little oil. It may take some time but they slices will eventually get "toasted." It was labor intensive but it worked. You want to use very firm tofu.....and not the Silken brand, which has a creamier, soft texture.

BTW: I ordered Steel's Low Carb Spicy Thai Peanut sauce from Netrition.com. I really like it.

Last edited by Banshee5; 08-25-2003 at 11:19 AM..
Banshee5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 12:51 PM   #3
Administrator

Thanks! Might have to try that sauce, too
Old 08-25-2003, 05:05 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/134/135, 52 yo
WOE: LCHF Primal
Start Date: 12/02
Baking tofu makes it crispy without much oil. I used to do it in pre-low carb days, so here's an old recipe you'd have to modify a bit (I don't eat much tofu anymore):
12 0z extra firm tofu
4 T thick sauce (I used to use szhechuan stir fry sauce, but any low-carb asian style sauce might work, just so it has some sweetener in it to help crisp up the tofu. Barbeque sauce is popular too.)
1 teaspoon oil

Coat a cookie sheet with oil. Slice tofu lengthwise, about 1/4 inch thick, and pat dry. Put the sauce into a dish, and dip each piece of tofu into the sauce, coating it well. Place the tofu on the cookie sheet in a single layer. (Pieces can be touching, but should not overlap.) Sprinkle on desired seasoning. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes, depending on how crispy you like it.

For spicy peanut sauce, any traditional recipe is easy to modify. Here's the one I make a lot. I tend to just estimate the amounts, since it's a very flexible recipe:
1/2 cup smuckers natural peanut butter
1 teaspoon splenda or davincis
2-4 tablespoons lime juice
2-4 tablespoons vinegar
2-4 tablespoons warm water
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil is nice, but not critical
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
chopped cilantro is helpful too

Mix well--warming it all in the microwave for 30-45 seconds can help with blending it. Adding more water makes the sauce different, and better, in my opinion. I'll often leave out the vinegar.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 05:18 AM   #5

Gallery: Nesee
Well, I have a tofu question.. I like tofu a lot, and love to buy stir fry veggies with fried tofu or bean curd.. How do they get it so brown and tender? Or is there a diff between tofu and bean curd? Or is it because I use firm and should use silk?

I used canola and veggie oil and it came out dry.. Is is peanut oil they use?

Nesee
Nesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 02:51 PM   #6

Gallery: RauL
Stats: 170/165/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/2004
Yes!

I made these when I got home from work today. I used an entire package of Nasoya's Lite-Firm Tofu. The label says it's 1.5g of fat per serving and 0 Carbs (doubtful), but anyway, heres what I did. Keep in mind, this was my first attempt...

1. Slice Tofu lengthwise into about 10 slices.
2. Place slices on paper towel to soak up as much water as possible. (do this a few times).
3. Spray a glass pyrex baking dish with Non-stick spray.
4. Season tofu slices with whatever you'd like them to taste like. (I used kosher salt and some garlic powder)
5. I baked them at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, but found them to be way too soft still.
6. Turn once and bake for another 30-45 minutes.

I think if I had made the slices a little thinner they would have baked crispy in less time, but they were very crispy after the 1 and 15 minutes I had them in there...regardess of how long it take it beats frying them! (way too troublesome) You could probably sprinkle them with Splenda and cinnamon for a sweet "cracker".

Enjoy!
RauL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 04:11 PM   #7
Administrator

Thanks everyone!