Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2003, 11:29 PM   #1
LCS
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LCS
Muffin Top Tin Recipe

When I first started lurking on this board I remember seeing a recipe using a Muffin Top Tin. I found the tin today and rushed home thinking I could find it. To my disappointment I am unable to locate it. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
LCS is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2003, 12:36 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Try this thread... ;-)

http://www.low-carb-friends.com/bbs/...ghlight=muffin
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 05:17 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
Wish I were as clever as lowcarbman about posting those older threads!

Here is the recipe I use for Revolution Rolls, which was originally posted by Hersheykiss, a long time ago . This was a response I did for another similar question (again, quite a while ago!:

Here ya go! This is the recipe I use all the time - but of course I have tweaked it a bit!

I use 7 eggs (6 separated, and one whole).
I use whey protein powder.
I add 1/2 teaspoon Xanthan gum.
I always use ricotta cheese, but others have been successful with cottage cheese (just whir in the blender to get out the lumps). I tried sour cream once, but I prefer the substance from the ricotta.
I bake mine for 18 - 22 minutes, depending on the weather - literally!
Some people like to spread the mixture out on a baking sheet, and when cooked, cut it into squares the size of slices of bread.

Home Cookin 4.6 Chapter: Low Carbohydrate Recipes

Hersheykiss' Tweaked Revolution Rolls Recipe
============================================
6 Large eggs, separate whites from the yolks
(save the yolks!)
1 Teaspoon cream of tartar
2 Tablespoons baking mix (see "Tips" #8)
1/2 Cup ricotta cheese (see "Tips" #11)
1/3 Cup shredded cheese (see "Tips"#12)
I know there has been a lot of discussions in posts about how to make the Revolution Rolls. Some people with little experience in cooking, find these little suckers a bit intimidating. For those of you who have no problem with them, ignore the rest of this post. This post includes all the knowledge I've gained in making these rolls about 200 batches I'm guessing) and I'm willing to pass it on because bread was something I missed dearly on this WOE.

I'll start with some Tips first:

1. Don't even try to eat one of these things the same day that you made them. They will be crumbly and quite disgusting tasting (IMHO). They change texture and taste more "bread-like" the day after. Put them in a sealed food storage bag or container, and place them in the refrigerator. Many people leave them unrefrigerated, but I'm skeptical because they do not contain any
preservatives, so I have found they spoil very quickly when not
refrigerated.

2. These do not have the exact texture of real bread, so don't expect it. They do however, become a way to convey sandwich makings, burgers, cheese, peanut butter, mozzarella cheese and pizza sauce, etc., to the mouth. This will make your mouth smile.

3. They do not "rise" like regular bread recipes. What you see is usually what you get. They can surprise you by going flat sometimes, but they taste fine just the same.

4. Immaculately clean utensils help to insure the egg whites will whip correctly. Even one speck of yolk in the whites will cause them not to whip. Grease or oil will hinder this, also. Use squeaky clean dishes and beaters. (Don't use a plastic bowl)

5. Use cream of tartar in the egg whites to make them "stiff." Cream of tartar can be found in the spice section of the grocery store. It is not a rare or difficult-to-find item, and every decent grocery store will have it. It can come in a small can or a small jar. It is usually around $2 and is priceless when it comes to making the egg whites stiff.

6. To make them appear more like hamburger buns, I use a "muffin-top only" style muffin tin. Martha Stewart (I think) makes one, so it can be purchased at K-Mart. Corning-Revereware Outlet stores carry them also. A "muffin-top
only" pan usually has 6 cups in it, and the cups are very shallow - just the size of a hamburger top! I purchased two of these pans, because the recipe I use will make 12 rolls this size.

7. When preparing the pan, don't use too much Pam spray. I have found that too much spray will actually deflate the egg whites. But too little spray, and the rolls stick. The butter-flavored spray will be more palatable as this is a bread-like product.

8. I have used three different kinds of baking mixes at times for this recipe. Carbolite Bake Mix, Atkins Bake Mix, and GNC Designer Soy Protein. All three are good in my opinion, but my favorite is the Carbolite. Other people have used Whey, but try it yourself and discover what tastes best to you.

9. IMHO the easiest way to separate a yolk is to do it through your fingers. Put two bowls on the counter. Crack the egg over the first bowl and open up the egg. What will usually spill out is the white of the egg, so it will spill over into the bowl. Try to pour all the egg into one half of the shell. Discard the empty shell, then pour the egg from the shell into your cupped hand. Spread your fingers slightly and allow the white part of the egg to slide through your fingers. The yolk will usually be willing to stay
in your cupped fingers. Sometimes I have to do a little juggling back and forth between both cupped hands to get all the egg white off. (If yolk gets down into the whites, forget it . . . save it for scrambled eggs in the morning.) Or, use it as your extra egg. Put the remaining yolk in the second bowl. Save these yolks because the recipe will use them!

10. I really beat my egg whites stiff. I have a Kitchenaid mixer and I let it whip the egg whites for about 7 minutes. IMHO I think they stand up to a little rougher treatment when I'm trying to sculpt them in the muffin tin.

11. In the recipe I use, the ricotta cheese may be replaced, measure for measure, with cottage cheese or sour cream with no problem. Mostly I use sour cream in place of the ricotta, simply because it is cheaper. But all three are interchangeable and use exactly the same measurement.

12. For the regular shredded cheese in the recipe, I have replaced it with every imaginable kind of cheese with no problem. My favorite for just everyday simple bread is mozzarella. It is the most "unassuming" flavor of all, especially if my husband and son are using it to make PB&J sandwiches.

I have mixed and matched several different recipes and I give my apologies to the originator, but please claim it if it is yours.

Tweaked Atkins Revolution Rolls Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin tins with Pam.

With an electric mixer beat egg whites for about 30 seconds until slightly "frothy." Stop mixer and add cream of tartar. Mix on high until egg whites are very stiff. (If you tip the bowl over, the egg whites should not even budge a fraction of an inch.)

In a separate bowl, mix yolks by hand until blended. Add ricotta cheese (or cottage cheese or sour cream) and mix well. Add bake mix and mix well. Add cheese and mix. This mixture should be pourable, but not runny.

Add the egg yolk mixture to the whipped egg whites, making sure you get every last bit of the egg yolk mixture. When doing this, try not to put all the egg yolk mixture in one spot on the egg whites . . . gently pour it over the whole top. With a spatula, gently cut down through the egg white mixture and lift the bottom contents to the top. If you mix too aggressively, you
will deflate the egg whites. Scoop, lift, and turn, until it is mixed. You will see striations of yellow yolk mixture and egg whites. This is perfectly normal, and don't attempt to blend this concoction to an even color because you will deflate the whipped egg whites. Don't over-mix! Just get it to the "that's enough" stage. This mixing will take only about thirty seconds!

With the muffin tin near, gently scoop out approximately the amount that would fill the cup, and let it slide and softly "plop" from the spatula. Some coaxing might be needed, but just use your finger to push the mixture off the spatula. DON'T SCULPT YET! Fill all the cups in the tin in the same manner.

When all cups are filled, check to see if one cup needs more or less of the mixture, and gently distribute the mixture evenly. Now comes the sculpting part. Since this bread will come out shaped like the bottom of the tin, it will look quite attractive as a sandwich "vehicle." Little sculpting is necessary. I just use my finger to gently push the mixture so it reaches the edge of each muffin tin, and I also level any major bumps (the little bumps,
forget about them - you won't see them when your "fixin's" are on the top.)

Bake at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and dump the rolls off the pan. Some will stick, but I just use the tip of a knife to loosen them. Place the rolls on a wire rack so they don't "sweat". Leave in the open air for about an hour, then place them in a sealed container or storage bag and refrigerate.

I know all this looks very intimidating, but really, it isn't. And if you
use sour cream in the recipe, you can make these and totally flop, and not lose much money. So try it, and feel free to learn and have failures that will turn to successes. But I think you will be surprised at how quickly you will become proficient at making these.

Some other comments: I have been asked by some non low carbers for the recipe for these rolls because I serve them when I have guests to my home. I have taught several baking challenged people how to make these and they passed with flying colors. Don't be timid about trying to make them.

They don't freeze. Don't try it.

They can be placed in the toaster, and they can be used under a broiler to toast.

Don't make your sandwich the night before and expect it to be the same texture at lunchtime the next day. . . it will be soggy. Instead, take all the "fixin's" in separate containers and make the sandwich when you are ready to eat.

Uses for the bread: LC Peanut Butter and sugar free Jelly sandwiches
Cheese sandwiches
Open-faced Pizza sandwiches (LC pizza sauce and a slice of
mozzarella)
Tuna Sandwiches Bologna and mustard sandwiches
Leftover meatloaf sandwiches
Cheeseburgers! *Yeahhhh!*
Ham and Cheese sandwiches
Buttered, with Splenda and Cinnamon - mmmm!
Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwiches
Garlic buttered, for "Italian" main courses
Chicken Salad Sandwich

You could go nuts trying all the different kinds of sandwiches, but remember they can be a nice staple for breakfast. I make a simple cinnamon butter and usually keep it on had all the time for a breakfast spread for these rolls. Mix together butter, Splenda and cinnamon to your taste.

Good luck on your bread making experience and share with us your successes. . . it will help give courage to those who have not ventured to make these.

Servings: 12 rolls "

Hope that helps! Best of luck!

Auntie

Proud member of the SHRINKING VIOLETS
[/color]

[color=red]At the Canada Challenge thread every day![/color]
auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 10:14 AM   #4
LCS
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LCS
THANK YOU!

Thank you both lowcarbman and Auntie!

This board is so awesome in sharing information.

Hope everyone has a great upcoming week!

LCS
LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 09:13 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jbabbit
I made a triple batch of Sherrilee's waffle buns tonight using my muffin top pan. They are great. My son just loves them. He was missing hamburgers, sandwich and he even uses them to make indivual pizzas. Sure helps to make sure he has something easy he can do on his own.

Last time I made them I only made one batch and they only lasted 2 days. But, there are three of us eating them so I guess they are gonna go fast...
jbabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 09:53 PM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: mom2brig
Stats: 280/272/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2003/January 2006
I just made them tonight and can't wait to try them tomorrow!
mom2brig is offline   Reply With Quote