Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2003, 04:03 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: NorthernNisse
Stats: 234/180/180 5'7.5"
WOE: Atkins '72
Pampered Chef Knives

I'm thinking of purchasing the 3 Pampered Chef kitchen knives each with their own self sharpening case. Just wondering if anyone has these and hearing opinions please. Are they a good investment?

I have purchased quite a few knives in the last few years that I am not happy with for various reasons. I do have issues keeping them sharp, I have been pleased with Pampered Chef quality in the past.

Anyone have these?

Josie
NorthernNisse is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2003, 07:28 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Crink
I LOVE pampered chef "stuff" but the knives are the PITS..... IMHO
The blades on the PC knives are too thick and they are akward to use.

I have friends who bought them and threw them away.

If you want a good knife, get a professional chef knife and a wonderful paring knife that feels good to your hand, then as you can afford it purchase a butcher knife and then a good serrated knife. Using the right knife for the job is essential to ease in the kitchen. (Remember, a carpenter doesn't use a straight screwdriver for a phillips head screw...same principle) Check out Henkles or other really good brands.
I've had my knives for 30 years and a good knife is an essential investment for a cook.

I taught foods for many years and a good knife is such a timesaver.

Get a good knife sharpener. Talk to someone at a specialty store that sells professional knives then shop around for the best buy. There are some great buys out there if you are willing to look.

Good hunting!!!
Crink
Old 08-17-2003, 05:42 AM   #3
Come join us on the Game Board

Location: retired now - I ski 40+ days annually and do marathons. 1st TIME GRANDMOTHER 6/18/07
Gallery: Sharon
Stats: GO UCLA - BEAT USC. ALWAYS STAY POSITIVE
I agree with Crink. Buy the best to simplify the food preparation. Forget about the whole set and just buy the 2 she listed and add to them at a later date. I used to sell knives so my set is a good 15 years old. They are just as good as when I bought them. I keep them in a block but always turn the blade upside down so they are not resting on the blade which will dull them when you pull them out of a block.
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 02:12 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Twokitty
Kirkwood, can you share what brand/type knives you have? I've been looking for good ones also. Thanks.
Twokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 02:37 PM   #5
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
If you really want excellent knives(but warning: they're expensive!)try the Wusthof brand! I said if I ever win the lottery, I'm going to get a whole set of these You can get them for under $100 each on ebay a lot of the time. But that's per knife - not set! The santoku knife is a great, versatile knife to have
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 03:03 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: shellpurr
Stats: blah
WOE: ?
Start Date: tomorrow!
Global is also one of the best.
shellpurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 03:38 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SweettoothLady
MY favorite knifes are cutco.
SweettoothLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 03:56 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Twokitty
Thank you all. I have about everything in my kitchen except a good basic knife.
Twokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 07:31 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cwooden
I agree - Henkels and Wustof are good brands. I've seen them on sale at TJ Maxx and Marshall's on occasion. I like to sharpen my knives by hand with a sharpening stone - better control and you don't wear down the blade as quickly. A good 8" Chef's knife, a good paring knife and a good serrated knife will serve you for most of your cooking needs. One of my favorite knives is a bird's beak paring knife - good for paring round fruit and veggies.
cwooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 08:12 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: NorthernNisse
Stats: 234/180/180 5'7.5"
WOE: Atkins '72
I really want to thank everyone for their input. Nix the Pampered Chef knives for sure. I have decide to look at the best brands and buy the three basics. I don't mind the cost. It makes me sick to think of the knives I have wasted my money on. I should have just bought the best to begin with. A lot of people have mentioned the Cutco knives too. Hadn't heard of Global until now.

Dottie - Of course.....I have been looking at the most expensive Wustof knives!!! LOL, I always do that to myself. Our outlet mall does have a nice Wustof trio of the basics mentioned on sale for $150.00. I'm still looking around though.

cwooden - I am a huge TJ's and Marshall shopper and I have seen both Henkel and Wustof there too. As you know, it's just a matter of hitting it lucky. I'm going to do some serious looking this weekend while I do some back to school shopping. I make the rounds to all the TJ's and Marshalls in the city. I'm thinking they may be getting the holiday stock in.

I'm going to do it right this time. Again, I really appreciate sharing all your knife knowledge. I have been slowly replacing all my small appliances with KitchenAid, I have haven't regretted it once. There is nothing like great quality.

Josie

Last edited by NorthernNisse; 08-20-2003 at 08:16 PM..
NorthernNisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 10:06 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: YvonneM
Stats: 155/131/130
WOE: Moderate Carbs/Curves Exercise
Start Date: 5/17/03
I sell knives at an upscale kitchen store and want to add an important suggestion. When you buy your knives, make sure it's someone who knows what they are talking about. Make sure they teach you to use the honing steel. You can also use a preset steel called a Chantry. Either way, you're making an investment in your knives make sure you maintain them. No dishwasher, no throwing them in a drawer. If you don't have a knife block, get an edge guard. You need to hone your knife every time you use it or your blade will roll. An 8 or 10 inch chef knife is a must, a paring/utility knife is next and then a slicing knife. Be sure to use the right knife for the right job.
YvonneM
YvonneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 04:25 AM   #12

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
Josie - that price for the Wusthof trio is fantastic! I'd be there in a second flat, if it weren't so far away! I have great Henkell knives, but would love to have Wusthof. I suppose the only word of caution before you put on your Achilles wings: While Henkells makes excellent knives, not ALL of the knives they make are excellent! They have come out with an ever-sharp series that is quite inexpensive, and also not very noteworthy in the quality department. So, even though the NAME is good, the knives may not be! Make sure you're getting the good quality you really want! I am terribly envious of that price tag, though!

Auntie

Proud member of the SHRINKING VIOLETS
[/color]

[color=red]At the Canada Challenge thread every day![/color]
auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 04:43 AM   #13
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
I agree Auntie...also, it's better when you can actually hold the knife and make sure the handle is comfortable and balanced. You can pick up some really inexpensive, but decent knives and the handles are so light weight that you'll end up cutting yourself all the time(speaking from personal experience!), or the handle is plastic and breaks easily or the metal part doesn't go all the way through the handle and it ends up separating.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 06:08 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgarza
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2002; Jan 2005
Love the tiny $1 Pampered Chef Knives

I have about 20 of the little $1.00 pampered chef knives and I love them. They're great for the small stuff, and I use several a day, then just throw them in the dishwasher. VERY sharp, and don't rust.
Haven't tried their "better" knives. I wish they made the same knives in a couple of larger sizes, at low prices!
EnJOY,
Caro
cgarza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 09:12 AM   #15

Gallery: shellpurr
Stats: blah
WOE: ?
Start Date: tomorrow!
Global are very expensive, professional knives. A chefs knife will cost you about 100. They are so great though. Worth it if you can afford it. I haven't heard that many good things about henckells.
shellpurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 09:56 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LooksLikePaul
I have Henkels, Gerber and some others. I always grab the Henkels. It sharpens better, holds it edge longer and just feels right in my hand.

Henkels makes excellent knives, but get the top 1 or 2 grades, not the cheaper ones, and the serrated steak knives are awful... all they do is tear your meat instead of cut it. I am talking to a custom knife maker I know about grinding down the serrations so they have a smooth, sharp edge.
LooksLikePaul is offline   Reply With Quote