Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Delicious Broccoli Cheese Soup!!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/128604-delicious-broccoli-cheese-soup.html)

Annie64 07-28-2003 07:43 AM

Delicious Broccoli Cheese Soup!!!

This recipe is posted in the Recipe Room. I have made it twice and it is absolutely heavenly!!! The second time came out much better because I made sure I COOKED the broccoli first. I also added a bit more cheese and used sharp cheddar. I could eat this every day even if it IS summertime! Really hits the spot and is very satisfying comfort food! I also recommend doubling the recipe. It makes between 7 or 8 cups doubled and believe me you will be glad that you double it! I think the carb count after fiber subtraction comes out to about 3.5 grams per cup, maybe slightly more or less. I can't remember the exact count.

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Ingredients:
3 cups broccoli -- cooked and chopped, or frozen (cook it first!)
4 ounces cream cheese
3/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup water
2 packages chicken bouillon
pepper -- to taste
4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (I used more)

How to Prepare:

Combine Broccoli, cream cheese, heavy cream & 1/4 cup water in food processor. Blend until smooth.
Transfer mixture to pot add bouillon, pepper and rest of water (I added a little more water). Simmer over medium heat. Add cheddar & stir until melted.

07-28-2003 08:03 AM

Sounds good!

Thanks for the tip. I will try it today, I like soup any time of the year!

Mair 07-28-2003 10:19 AM

sounds yummy! Wonder how it would taste with chicken?

Sharon 07-28-2003 11:36 AM

Think chicken would taste great in it. Thanks for posting the recipe. I love soup all year 'round

pocahontas 07-28-2003 12:35 PM

Does it taste a lot like cream cheese? I hate cream cheese, lol! :p

07-28-2003 12:36 PM

I put it in Fitday

and came up with 7 grams per cup! Can't allow myself to do that on induction but will save the recipe for later.

scuzami 07-28-2003 01:11 PM

Mmmmm...7 grams sounds like a lot...I figured mine out using the USDA National Nutrient Database...and for the whole recipe it came to under 17 carbs.
The recipe really sounds good...love creamed soups...butternut squash is one of my all time favs, may have to figure out a recipe for that as the cooler weather comes on. Or maybe, serve it cool? Thanks for "re" posting this recipe...I missed it!

07-28-2003 01:22 PM

****** totals were Carbs 35 and Fiber 14.

mommedawne 07-28-2003 01:33 PM

Thanks, I have some broccoli that needs to be used up.

Annie64 07-28-2003 02:26 PM

pocahontas - no, the cream cheese flavor does not stand out!

I think I figured the info on MasterCook. I'll have to look when I get home from work because I am trying to be very diligent and careful this time around and don't want too many carbs! I KNOW its not 7 carbs... 4 sounds about right. But it probably depends on the brands you use also. I'm going to go home and figure it out by looking on the actual containers and adding it up! :)

I'm having some for dinner tonight since I already had steak pizzaiola for lunch - THAT was delicious too! I gave my son a bite and he loved it! Lets see, you spread tomato paste on the steak, sprinkle italian seasoning blend on top, broil it for a while, then add mozzarella and put it back in until cheese is melted! My steak was already cooked when I did this (leftover). Its was so yummy! The tomato paste added a nice tang - so if you are tired of plain ol steak, this is awesome! Got this from the recipe room too.

GwnStfni 07-28-2003 06:37 PM

That sounds so yummy and I am the biggest fan of soup but I just can't bring myself to making it. I know myself too well, I wouldn't be able to stop eating it, like nuts which is why they're no longer in the house.

helenback 08-09-2003 09:07 PM

I tried this recipe but I added some jalepeno peppers... ground up, so that you got the flavor without big hunks of jalepeno pepper..

YUMMAY!!!

Annie64 08-10-2003 08:37 AM

helenback - well thats an interesting twist! Sounds good!

Diane

AdrianaG 01-12-2011 11:12 AM

This soup was absolutely amazing, thank you! I paired it up with Sausage cheese balls made with this Bacon Cheddar Breakfast Scone recipe, to which I added 10 oz. of bulk sausage. Nom, nom, nom!

Mad4Chillas 06-12-2011 08:18 PM

Definetely going to put this in my recipe archives, gotta to try this out! :)

Heidinem 06-13-2011 04:25 AM

I think this would be great cold too!

Tilly 06-14-2011 03:03 AM

Definately going to try this. I have one daughter that LOVES broccoli and cheese soup. I like it too and as you said even though it is summer, I am always looking for new things to make and try. Thanks!

jouette 06-16-2011 02:50 PM

this was so delicious (thank you!) & pictures are worth a thousand words:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91.../broccsoup.jpg

Tilly 06-17-2011 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharon (Post 1464622)
Think chicken would taste great in it. Thanks for posting the recipe. I love soup all year 'round

The recipe sounds wonderful and adding chicken would be a great idea.

Tryinghardtolose 06-17-2011 05:41 AM

I feel stupid even asking this question, since everyone else seems to know what you mean, lol but what is "packages of chicken bouillon?" Do you mean 2 of the little cubes?

Thanks so much! I can't wait to try this!

Mad4Chillas 06-17-2011 06:02 PM

I just used Chicken stock instead of the water & Boullion.

trixy776655 09-15-2011 07:44 PM

oooh. sounds like a fab comfort food for this fall.

Heheher 09-15-2011 08:10 PM

Oh my gotta try this soon!!

Mobear 09-16-2011 02:40 AM

This sounds really good. I am trying soup recipes as my weather is getting cooler :).

I am a little concerned about the carb count though. I used the USDA data base and came up with 8.7 carbs net and 545 calories if you divide the recipe into 3 servings and 6.5 carbs net and 409 calories for recipe divided into 4 servings. It also doesn't seem that the servings would be very large. If you use ****** or ********* you might want to check the counts!

melissakw 09-17-2011 04:30 PM

WOW

Thanks so much Diane for posting this along with your tips and mods.

Just finished my first batch, and am having a bowl right now.:love:

I had been missing my Panera broccoli cheese soup so much:cry:, I can't believe I found something that's even better!

Barbo 09-17-2011 04:49 PM

Diane

Thanks for the delicious recipe.

You mentioned LC Doritos Chips.. Is there such a thing?

Iwantlessofme 09-19-2011 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 15012400)
Thanks for the delicious recipe.

You mentioned LC Doritos Chips.. Is there such a thing?

I believe Cleochatra has the LC Doritos recipe. If I am not mistaken they are made out of zucchini.

I can't wait until it is cool enough here to make this. I love, love, love soup.

Mindy

Its me - WENDALINA 09-19-2011 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mair (Post 1464107)
sounds yummy! Wonder how it would taste with chicken?

this is a tradition at our house.... for Black Friday, we always crock pot this soup with the left over turkey in it.... VERY YUMMY! :D

Idreamofweightloss 09-19-2011 02:07 PM

I came up with 24 carbs for the whole recipe using *********. I am assuming it makes 4 servings. So 6 per cup by my figures.

melissakw 09-19-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idreamofweightloss (Post 15017569)
I came up with 24 carbs for the whole recipe using *********. I am assuming it makes 4 servings. So 6 per cup by my figures.

That's exactly what I got! Used Calorie Count.

Works out nicely because most of the carbs come from the broccoli. Perfect for dinner for me!:clap: