Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2003, 10:53 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: staurt4321
Stats: 210/175/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July11/03
Cabbage Rolls

Ok. I love Cabbage Rolls, and I am trying to think of a different way of making them. I was taught to use cabbage leaves, ground beef, rice, and bake them in crushed or stewed tomato's.

I notice that cabbage is on the acceptable list, only if my salad does not exceed two cups. But Maybe I could substitute Bok Choy. The ground beef I can still use, but what could I use instead of rice? And for the tomato's, I guess I could just look at the nutritional info on the labels to find out what is best, or does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks.
staurt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2003, 11:00 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: yvonne326
Stats: 197/193/160
WOE: Low Carb & Exercise
Start Date: 5/28/14
I make cabbage rolls and I omit the rice and add chopped up veggies instead. No problems thus far and family loves them. Instead of putting in tomato sauce, you bake in a buttered casserole dish...to die for.
yvonne326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 12:34 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sheida
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/3/2003
I grate cauliflower into my meat and it works just great. I got the idea from the fried rice recipe here where they substitue the rice with the cauliflower.
Sheida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 06:14 AM   #4
Momma25

Gallery: Momma25
Grated Cauliflower in cabbage rolls?

Hey Sheida,

You say you add grated cauliflower and add to your meat. Is that raw cauliflower or steamed?

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2003, 05:48 AM   #5
Momma25

Thank you so much! I never heard of this method and I'm going to give it a shot!! I wonder if I can use frozen cauliflower that is thawed and whizzed in the food processor? I don't keep fresh on hand.

Thanks again!
Old 07-06-2003, 07:29 AM   #6

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
Here's my recipe, which is a family favorite:

Auntie's Savoury Cabbage Rolls

To prepare the cabbage:

Cut out the large core from the bottom of the cabbage. Place cabbage in a large pot, bottom end up, with about an inch of water and a teaspoon of salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Boil some water, (about a quart). Remove lid from pot, and pour the boiling water into the cabbage where you have removed the core. Continue to steam until the leaves are wilted, and soft enough to roll. The cabbage should still be fairly firm. You can remove the leaves, and begin separating the cabbage so that the leaves cook uniformly. When steamed to the correct consistency, plunge the cooked leaves into cold water. Make the stuffing while the cabbage leaves cool.

You can also steam the cabbage in the microwave. It takes about 10 - 15 minutes. Place in a large microwave safe bowl. Add about 1/2 cup of cold water. Cover tightly.

***Note: Freeze a whole cabbage head - for a minimum of a week, and you have cabbage leaves the perfect consistency for making cabbage rolls. All you have to do is peel them off the core.

To make the stuffing:

1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
1 large onion, chopped very fine, or minced
1 tablespoon low carb ketchup
3 shakes of Worsetershire sauce
1 cup of ground pork rinds
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 tsp. ground pepper, or to taste
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. ground savory (optional)
1/2 tsp. ground ginger

Combine all above ingredients. Mix very well (I like to get in there with my hands). The ginger is an essential ingredient to me, as it adds a nice, gentle heat to the mixture, as well, it prevents some of that usual "gas" that we get from cooked cabbage.

For the cabbage rolls
cabbage leaves (cut the very large ones in half)
1 12 - 14 ounce can tomato sauce for topping

Separate the cabbage leaves. Use the very large leaves, and the real tiny ones, to line the bottom of a of a large casserole dish, or roasting pan that has been sprayed with Pam.

Place about 2 tablespoons of the stuffing mixture onto a cabbage leaf, near one end. Bring up the cabbage over the meat, make one roll. Then, lift the sides over the top, like an envelope, and continue rolling untll you have a cabbage roll. Place the "seam" side down in the bottom. When you have a full layer, spread a few scant tablelspoons of tomato sauce on the cabbage rolls, and continue with your second layer, tomato sauce, then third layer. Cover, the pan, and bake in a 300 F oven. After about one hour, drain off some of the liquid that has formed. Pour remaining tomato sauce over the top layer of cabbage rolls. Return to oven, and continue to bake fo another hour or so, until the cabbage is fork tender, and the meat is completely cooked.

Auntie

Proud member of the SHRINKING VIOLETS
[/color]

[color=red]At the Canada Challenge thread every day![/color]
auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 09:27 AM   #7
Momma25

Wow, these look great! Thanks so much!
Old 07-07-2003, 07:46 AM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: bernie
I use TVP in my cabbage rolls. I cook them in canned tomatoes. Tomatoes are allowed on OWL.

Bernie
bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 12:41 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: April 2
WOE: Atkins for Life!
Start Date: January 4, 2003
A neighbor of mine taught me to make these when I was a child! She didn't use the tomato for baking or flavoring. Instead she placed her wrapped rolls tightly in a large stock pot and covered them with a water and vinegar brine. Cooked them long and slow at a simmer. They are wonderful.

The first time I had a cabbage roll done with tomatoes I was pretty startled. Although good, I still prefer the brine method. She added finely (and I do mean very fine) minced salt pork to her meat.
April 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 03:02 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lumster
Start Date: June 2001-2005... many times!
OMG my mouth is watering...

my moms recipe that I make is very similar to Aunite3s. I just use hamburger, canned corned beef, a bit of ketchup (rice, sub w/ cauliflower), pepper, salt, and worcheshire, and a bit of garlic powder. I mix all up good and roll with saurerkraut inside.. I then cook mine either in the oven or a big stock pot. filled half way with water and stewed tomatoes. we also add a sliced hillshire farms sausage on top. What a meal!!

Love this recipe, of course cant have the rice, but who cares, that was just filler anyhow
lumster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 08:17 PM   #11

Gallery: Bar10der
Stats: 143/137/125
WOE: low carb beer
Start Date: on and off and on and off
Auntie,
Your recipe sounds delicious. Have you figured out the carb content on it, or how many cabbage rolls per serving?

Thanks.
Bar10der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 02:32 AM   #12

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
This makes at least 30 cabbage rolls, depending on how much stuffing you place in each leaf. It works out to 8 servings, at about 4 grams per serving, less 1 gram fiber.
auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote