Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Zucchini and Yellow Squash Ideas? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/110329-zucchini-yellow-squash-ideas.html)

chsprin 06-12-2003 08:59 PM

Zucchini and Yellow Squash Ideas?

Does anyone have any great recipes for fresh zucchini and/or fresh yellow summer squash? We have it coming in from the garden and I need some ideas! Had some fresh fried squash tonight; last night we grilled onions, mushrooms, zucchini, and yellow squash and was good. But.... I am going to have plenty of this around for a while. Thanks for any ideas!:)

adillenal 06-12-2003 09:06 PM

I like squash simple so sauteed in olive oil is my favorite. Sliced in rounds. Also cut in chunks and baked or roasted in the oven with a little olive oil and seasonings. It takes about 40 minutes in the oven.

helenback 06-12-2003 09:45 PM

The worlds absolutely best way to eat these two things.. is this..

mmm makes me hungry just thinkin' about it...

fry up a few strips of bacon.. (i don't use the bacon in the dish... just the bacon grease)

heat your bacon grease... take then sliced zucchini and yellow squash (i slice 'em really thin) and some sliced onion... lay them in the heated grease and just saute them until they are browned. I add a little salt and pepper to taste..... THEY ARE GREAT!!

Hope you like it!!

babyjips 06-12-2003 09:54 PM

a few weeks ago someone suggested for zucchini just pop it in the nuker like a baked potato and eat it with butter and sour cream,. I rolled a zucchini up in aluminum foil and threw it on the grill and let it steam dont let it steam to long or it will get soggy real fast. i added butter and sour cream and it was very yummy

froggyx6 06-12-2003 09:56 PM

I split some yellow squash in half lengthwise then cooked it in the microwave until it was soft. I topped it with a little butter, sour cream, cheddar cheese, bacon bits and chopped green onions. DH and I agreed it was the best faux baked potato we had ever eaten. It was delicious.

This was suggested on a post earlier this week but I can't remember who. If it's your idea, please stand and take a bow. It's a great recipe.

Beverly

kwormann 06-13-2003 02:43 AM

Loaded zucchini fries!

Slice thin, sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper, bake 375 for 30-40 minutes,

sprinkle with cheese and crumbled bacon, bake til bubbly, add sour cream.

we had these tonight and they were just like loaded fries!!

Nesee 06-13-2003 04:38 AM

Yeah, I just cut them however way, little bit of butter, olive oil or Pam in a pan, garlic and onion powder little salt or soy sauce and... Yummeee!! :D

Sometimes I'll do a stir fry.. What ever juice is remaining from some kind of great seasoned meat or chicken, I'll toss them in along with other stir fry type veggies, add the meat back in and I'm in love.

Nesie

chefchick66 06-13-2003 04:39 AM

Saute some minced onion in a combination of butter/olive oil, cook until onions are soft. Add zucchini, cut into half moons, saute a bit, than add fresh dill, black pepper and salt. Cook until tender/crisp. Very simple, but very tasty! :)

Sautee minced onion and garlic in a combination of butter/olive oil until onions are soft. Add sliced zucchini rounds, saute a bit, than add basil, oregano, black pepper, and salt. Cook until tender/crisp. Take off heat. Spread zucchini in the pan and top with sliced fresh tomatoes. Than spread some shredded cheese on top of the tomatoes. Place lid on and return to stovetop. Put heat on low, and heat until cheese is melted. YUMMY! Tastes like pizza, without the crust! ;)

Sharon 06-13-2003 07:18 AM

I love zucchini (cut lengthwise), sauted in butter with mushrooms (sliced) and onions (cut in rings). This is my vegetable for steaks.

pammiedoodle01 06-13-2003 11:42 AM

cut up, onion, yellow & zuccini ... season with salt, pepper & lotsa butter ... cover with foil & cook in oven or on the grill

better yet, cut up polish kilbasa (sp) & brown in large skillit ... cut up onions, zuccini, yellow squash & add to the sausage ... add what ever else ya wanna, in the way of veggies, like bell pepper or maybe some frozen stir fry veggies

experiment with seasoning ... sometimes i start with a pepper blend & maybe some essence of emeril ... or sometimes i go with some type of cajun or greek flavor ... i have even used taco seasoning

cook till done or whatever point it suits you ... after i turn off the fire i usually stir in some diced fresh tomatoes ... last time i fixed this i also added some shredded smoked cheese, with the tomatoes

i would say that i have not prepared this dish the same way twice ... i make a 14 inch skillit full, as we have 7 in the house

SHinOK 06-13-2003 12:31 PM

Yes, definitely grill 'em!!! Brush with olive oil or italian dressing and grill alongside your steaks/chops/burgers. Delish hot or cold (that is, IF you end up with leftovers!:) )

Look in the recipe room for Lisa's Jammin' Jambalaya. It's wonderful and calls for zucchini. We cook it a lot.

If you just can't cook them anymore, shred them and make zucchini bread or muffins. There should be a recipe in the recipe room for Annie's Zucchini Bread that is really tasty and easy to make.

Make Squash Rockefeller with yellow squash. Cut them in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds, leaving a little "bowl" in the large end. Thaw a 10 oz pkg of chopped spinach and squeeze out the water. Mix it with some softened cream cheese, garlic/onion powder, a dash of nutmeg and maybe a little flax meal or wheat bran (to act like bread crumbs). (Even a good creamed spinach recipe would work). Then put the spinach mixture in each of the squash "bowls" and bake until squash is done. Drizzle with hollandaise sauce and sprinkle with paprika. Sorry I don't have the recipe exactly....I make it more by "feel" based on a restaurant favorite of ours.

Praying Colonel 06-13-2003 12:39 PM

This is really good, from the Atkins website:

Grilled Green and Yellow Squash with Basil

pocahontas 06-13-2003 12:39 PM

ZUCCHINI LASAGNA

1/2 pound ground beef - browned
1/2 pound Italian sausage - browned
4 medium zucchini - roasted, peeled and sliced thinly lengthwise
1 cup Ricotta cheese
1 cup spaghetti sauce - (find one with low carbs)
2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Spread a very thin layer of sauce on the bottom of 9x9 casserole.
Brown meat and drain.
Add tomato sauce. Mix well and divide into four portions.
Layer zucchini, meat sauce, Ricotta, shredded cheese. Repeat layering four times.
Sprinkle remaining cheese and shredded Parmesan cheese on top.
Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Then uncover and bake for 15 additional minutes.
Let stand for 10 minutes before serving

I also love to take a carrot peeler and peel thin slices of zucchini to make zucchini noodles. It is a great replacement for pasta!

:D

jo- 06-13-2003 04:38 PM

Zucchini Latkes

2 eggs
1 large shredded zucchinni
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup Atkins Bake mix
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
oil for frying

mix eggs and zucchini, blend well. Add the dry ingredients, blend well, adding the cheese last.

Heat a non stick pan with some oil, just enough to cover the pan. Drop about 1/4 cup of the mix into the pan. Flatten a little to form a pancake, and cook each side until dark golden brown.

Edit to add- Sometimes I add a bit of scallion or green onion for flavor.

LindaSue 06-14-2003 05:48 AM

This is very tasty. I've made it twice now and used yellow squash.

ITALIAN SQUASH PIE
1/4 cup butter (4 T.)
1 1/2 lbs. yellow summer squash or zucchini, sliced thin (7 medium)
Small onion, sliced or chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1/2 t. Italian seasoning
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
8 oz. Monterey jack cheese, shredded
2 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 t. Dijon mustard

Saute' the squash, onion and garlic in the butter in a large skillet until tender and slightly browned. Sprinkle in the seasonings while cooking the squash. Put the squash mixture in a greased 10-inch quiche pan; mix in the cheese and parsley. Whisk the eggs and cream in a small bowl; whisk in the mustard. Pour egg mixture over the squash; mix in gently. Bake at 375║ for 25 minutes. Let stand a few minutes before cutting. Makes 6-8 servings (6 servings - 6.5 carbs each) (8 servings - 5 carbs each)

MistyLoo 06-14-2003 06:17 AM

Chsprin, let a few yellow squash get a little larger before you pick them. Then boil or nuke them whole, let cool.

Saute some ground beef, onion, and mushrooms..Scoop out the squash, add the pulp to the ground beef mixture. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic.. Add any spices you like, oregano, basil, ect.

Add a small can of tomato sauce, cook down a bit..Scoop back in squash shells, top with shredded sheese and bake about 30 minutes.

Add a salad and you have a great meal!

You can make up a batch and individually wrap them in foil and freeze. Very, very good!

checkersmom 06-14-2003 09:31 AM

loaded zucchini (sp) fries

Made these last night and they were fab - was even a hit with my son! Gonna go to the store to buy a big ole sack of zucchini (sp) today - the possibilities seem endless. Esp plan on making the lasagna - its funny my first thought when I saw that mentioned was the low fat veggie lasagna which was always heavy with zucchini - and I hated that. I do love zucchini, though, when its not part of some low-fat dish!

chula 06-14-2003 09:44 AM

Last night I took some large zucchini, cut them in half and nuked them a bit, then put pizza toppings on them. Baked them until the cheese got bubbly and brown. My family really liked them.

MarciaDaK 06-18-2003 02:40 PM

Zucchini Recipes

This makes 4 generous servings -

3 medium sized zucchini, sliced
1/2 cup low carb marinara sauce
grated parmesan cheese to taste

slice the zucchini and steam until desired softness. Mix zucchini with marinara sauce until well coated. Add grated cheese.

YUMMY

Fielding15 06-26-2003 02:08 PM

Zucchini Boats

Zucchini Boats

2 medium zucchini (about 8 inches)
3/4 pound ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
Salt and Pepper to taste

Trim the ends of zucchini. Cut in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2 inch shell. Finely chop pulp. In a skillet, cook beef, zucchini pulp, onion, mushrooms and peppers over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from heat. Add 1/2 cup cheese, salt and pepper; mix well. Spoon into the zucchini shells. Place in a greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 25-30
minutes or until zucchini is tender.

Yield: 4 servings.

Tips:
When scooping out the pulp for Zucchini boats, use a grapefruit spoon with the serrated edge to scoop out the pulp.

Use blender or chopper to quickly chop the pulp.

Cut up the vegetables the night before so you can just dump them in when you are fixing this dish. It takes a while to chop up all that stuff!!!

Enjoy! :-)

msack3889 06-26-2003 02:51 PM

Thanks for all these great recipes!

I like my zucchini fried in butter with a bit of tarragon...really really yummy :)

MaryMary 06-26-2003 05:49 PM

We have cooked some slice summer squash and zucchini in chicken stock with some seasoning and then put it in the blender. This becomes the base for a thick soup stock. Add other vegetables if desired. You can freeze in small containers.

CreamDraft 06-27-2003 06:52 AM

Boston Chicken makes some pretty good Zucchini by just what
appears to be just sauteing it with a little bit of onion, then
adding spaghetti sauce.
I like hunts no sugar added, the lowest i carbs that
I have found.
Probably would be good to add some italian sausage
to the mix too.

Great recipes!
Lisa

CreamDraft 06-27-2003 06:57 AM

Boston Chicken makes some pretty good Zucchini by just what
appears to be just sauteing it with a little bit of onion, then
adding spaghetti sauce.
I like hunts no sugar added, the lowest i carbs that
I have found.
Probably would be good to add some italian sausage
to the mix too.

Great recipes!
Lisa

YvonneM 06-27-2003 09:15 AM

I have a julienne peeler made by Kuhn Rikon that I bought a a kitchen store. I use it to make "spaghetti" from my zucchini. Just run in down the sides of the zuke til you get to the core, turn zuke and do all sides. Then you can use your favorite LC sauce on it. I love it with the Barefoot Contessas Scampi over fettucine recipe and sub the zuke spaghetti. I also like it with steamed and tossed with parmesan cheese and butter.

Crink 08-08-2004 04:14 PM

Cube yellow squash into about 3/4 inch cubes
Add diced onion
Saute in butter with salt, pepper and a sprinkling of Italian Seasoning.

When done and quite dry, sprinkle with Italian Flavored Keto Crumbs and fresh Parmasean.

Yum Yum!

Thread bumped from a long time ago for your summer fun!

SlugBugMom 08-11-2004 12:23 PM

Fry in butter with garlic salt and pepper, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and/or any other cheese. Very good with a steak.

bdladie 07-09-2010 10:29 AM

Ok I know very old but so many good ideas for the bounty we are about to receive.

LindaSue 07-10-2010 08:49 AM

Since this was posted so many years ago, I've found my new favorite squash casserole recipe. It's great with either yellow squash or zucchini.

Yellow squash with cheddar cheese:
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/food_ph..._casserole.jpg

Zucchini with pepper-jack cheese:
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/food_ph..._casserole.jpg

CREAMY SQUASH CASSEROLE
4 medium yellow squash, cut into half moons, about 1 1/2 pounds before trimming
1 small onion, slivered, 2 1/2 ounces
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
4-8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded *

SautÚ the onion and celery in the butter along with the chicken bouillon granules until the celery and onion are very soft and a little browned, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the squash in boiling water (or microwave) until tender; drain very well and pat as dry as possible. Combine all of the ingredients in a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole or 6x8" baking dish. Bake at 350║, uncovered, 30 minutes or until nicely browned and bubbly.

Makes 6 servings
Can be frozen

* I used 8 ounces of cheddar in mine because I wanted it to be very cheesy. 4 ounces would be plenty if you want to cut back on the fat and calories so I've included the counts for both amounts.

With 4 ounces cheese:
Per Serving: 203 Calories; 18g Fat; 6g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

With 8 ounces cheese:
Per Serving: 279 Calories; 24g Fat; 11g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

Love&Luck 07-10-2010 09:24 AM

subscribing