Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2003, 08:39 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Feelin'Great!
homemade tortillas

Has anyone made homemade low carb tortillas? I always loved freshly made tortillas at the fajita bar (back in the old days). I'd love to find a good recipe.
Feelin'Great! is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2003, 10:24 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: its4me
WOE: Weight Watchers Points Plus
Start Date: 4/24/11
I am bumping this up so someone might respond. I would love to see a recipe for this as well.
its4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 05:08 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JazzyV
Stats: 265.5/254.0/185
WOE: Low Carb/Weight Watchers
This recipe is from low carb luxury. I haven't made them personally.

Homemade Low-Carb Tortillas

Ingredients:
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup Wheat Gluten Flour *
1 cup soy protein powder
3 Tablespoons lard
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup water

Mix ground almonds, wheat gluten flour, soy protein powder and salt. Cut in lard until mixture resembles fine crumbs - like little peas (a pastry blender works well for this.) Slowly add water, 2 Tablespoons at a time, mixing well until ingredients form a ball. Cover and let dough rest for 20 minutes. Divide dough into 16 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Sprinkle countertop with protein powder or a thin coating of oat flour. Flatten balls, one at a time, as much as possible then roll each flattened ball out into a circle approximately 6-inches in diameter.

Heat nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Place dough circles in pan, one at a time. Cook just until lightly browned then turn over and lightly brown other side. Repeat with remaining dough. Store cooked tortillas between damp paper towels until done cooking all tortillas. These freeze very well. Reheat wrapped in damp paper towel for about 15 seconds or until warm and soft.

* "I've had best results using "Bob's Red Mill: Vital Wheat Gluten Flour". Whatever brand you use should be 6 grams (no fiber) per 1/4 cup on label and approx. 75% - 80% protein." - Lora

Makes 16 tortillas. After fiber - 1.7 carbs per tortilla.
JazzyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 06:52 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CatDogsKid
JazzyV--

I know you said you haven't made these, but would you know if it would work to use the bake mix in place of the almond flour or maybe using soy flour in place of the almond flour (I don't have a problem with the soy taste). I don't have any almond flour & I don't have a grinder to make my own (& I'm always afraid of it turning into almond butter!). Thanks for any info!
CatDogsKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 09:38 AM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: bernie
I've made the recipe that Sherri posted. a couple of times. We like them. They have the flax taste as the have flax seed in them but we like that. I especially like them, after the first frying put them on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with parmasan cheese and spices and bake until crisp. Kinda like a chip or cracker. Good with salsa or dip.

Bernie
bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 10:19 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
I've made the recipe Jazzy posted. They turned out great! I wouldn't make 16 with it tho, I could only get them to roll out to about 6-8". So next time I'll just make 8 good sized ones with it. That still makes them a carb bargin for me!

I also thought they tasted better than the La Tortilla's too. I don't know about substituing for the almond flour tho. Give it a try and see what happens.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote