Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Recipes for the Poor Chick (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/100431-recipes-poor-chick.html)

Memphis Cyn 05-18-2003 10:15 AM

Recipes for the Poor Chick

I am having some serious money troubles right now...luckily things will be better in about a month, as long as my car holds out...
Anyway, I am relying on about thirty dollars a week to feed my daughter, three cats and myself. Before lowcarbing it was very easy--rice, potatoes, rice and pasta...and more rice :eek:

But now all those staples are off limits! So I'm at a loss as to how to carry on this woe, although it's the best thing that has ever happened to me!

So I'm begging for the best canned tuna recipes and other helpful on-the-cheap suggestions. Leave off with coupon printing. I did this so much I am out of ink! I have no Sams or Costco card, so it's strictly Kroger and Megamarket for me at this point.

I'm going through the recipe section now, but if anyone has a suggestion, holler!

SnowymtnRN 05-18-2003 11:01 AM

BUy some hamburger meat in bulk, and make meatloaf, meatballs stuff like that. WHEN you have the money, i'd definitely invest in a Sam's card, because with Atkins Sam's is saving me a TON of money. Or do you know someone who has one? You could go buy stuff there on their membership.

Tuna recipes.....mix some with cheese and mayo for tuna salad. Or mix in with beaten eggs and cheese and a smidge of onion for a tuna casserole type dish.

I'm thinking, i'll post more later if i can remember what we've been doing. LOL We are broke too for another week, so i understand what you mean!

You can buy lettuce by the head and chop it to make salads, its cheaper than the bag stuff. Add a cucumber in with some green onion.

Buy a ham and cook it with no glaze, then slice it up. Mix it in with eggs, roll up with cheese, or as a main dish.

I'm thinking, i'll come up with more i'm sure! ;)

mommedawne 05-18-2003 11:02 AM

Cyn,
Here is a cheap recipe, if you use egg crepes instead of La Tortillas. Get your herbs and spices in bulk or grow them. My Walmart had seeds for .10 each. Growing your own zucchinni, tomatoes etc. and learning to can would save you a TON of money. Can you get someone to take you to a warehouse store so that you can freeze some less expensive ricotta, etc? Also, I believe that you can pay a 5 % surcharge and shop at Sam's without a card. That still may be cheaper than the regular grocery store for you. You can get a one day pass for free to find out.
Can your daughter still eat whole carbs, like apples and whole pastas? They are very cheap, as you know.
Of course, hamburger, eggs, tvp, cabbage and chicken can be very inexpensive. Look for sale flyers and find a store that price matches so that you don't have to waste money and time driving all over the place for sales.
Make yourself a little price book and make note of what things cost when you are out and about so that you will know a bargain when you see one. Chili and veggie soups are good for freezing and are inexpensive, too. Learning to freezer cook could help you a lot, if you don't already do that.
LC'ing is a very expensive way to eat, IMO. Anyway, here is one recipe for you.

* Exported from MasterCook *

red enchiladas and sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : beef casserole
low carb main dish
sauces, condiments

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------

Red Enchilada Sauce
This is a rich, flavorful red enchilada sauce. Pour over your favorite
enchiladas and you're all set. Prep Time: approx. 5 Minutes. Cook Time: approx. 15
Minutes. Ready in: approx. 20 Minutes. Makes 3 cups (8 servings).
Printed from Allrecipes, Submitted by Sara
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon minced onion (Dawn's note- I used 2 T fresh minced)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 cup salsa
1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups water

Directions
1 Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1 to 2
minutes. Add the onion, oregano, chili powder, basil, ground black pepper, salt, cumin, parsley,
salsa and tomato sauce.
2 Mix together and then stir in the water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for
15 to 20 minutes.

To make enchiladas: This should make 5-6 very big enchiladas from burrito sized tortillas if only beef and cheese are used as filling. This could be stretched if beans are added and sauce is made a 11/2 or doubled recipe. Can be made low carb with low carb tortillas or egg crepes.

Saute onions and peppers (1/2 cup each?) to taste in 1 T olive oil. Add 1 lb ground chuck and smalll amount of sauce (1/2 cup?) to pan. Cook until beef is browned through. Drain fat. In same pan heat flour tortillas one by one on each side in a tiny amount of oil. Fill each tortilla with grated jack cheese and then beef mixture. Fold short ends and then long ends of tortilla. Place seam side down in 2 8 x 8 pans or 1 9x 13 pan. Pour sauce all over enchiladas. Smother enchiladas with jack cheese and bake about 20-30 minutes until sauce becomes bubbly and thick.

SnowymtnRN 05-18-2003 11:04 AM

Quote:

LC'ing is a very expensive way to eat, IMO
I couldn't agree more! While its not too much more than we were spending, its definitely more!

babyjips 05-18-2003 11:05 AM

also canned salmon is cheap usually like 99 cents a can you can mix it w/ mayo kinda like tunafish, and put it in the middle of a nice bed of lettuce, or you can add some shredded cheddar and some crushed pork rinds and an egg mix together and fry for salmon patties.

mommedawne 05-18-2003 11:15 AM

I just wanted to add that if you can look for recipes that use a little bit of more expensive ingredients and more of less expensive ingredients (like flaxseed muffins), you will be more likely to stick with it and avoid becoming bored.
If you know you want to use something expensive like cream for a recipe, plan other recipes to use up the rest. Meal planning can help a lot.
When you see a recipe that looks tasty, ask yourself if there is anything less expensive or on hand that you can sub for ingredients that cost too much.
What about checking your budget at the end of every week and adding what you can to a kitty for a splurge to help you avoid boredom? You could get some nice flavored extracts, sugar subs, thickeners or syrups every now and then that way.
Do searches for recipes for spinach bread (I use 1/2 the eggs called for), anything with zucchini (hashed brown zucchini, zuccchini noodles) or cauliflower when it's on sale. A head of cauliflower can go a long way. If you can come up with 3 enjoyable ways to prepare each of these veggies (and cabbage), you will have gone a long way towards helping your situation.

LC4life 05-18-2003 11:28 AM

Eggs & chicken can be cooked so many ways. Look at your local dollar store for great buys on some food. (Watch it, though, I've found some things to be more expensive.) Canned green beans & spinach...make creamed spinach, yummy. I love chopped cabbage with browned hamburger mixed in....put in some spices, add a little water and steam until the cabbage is done. Great way to make a little go a long way.

mommedawne 05-18-2003 11:32 AM

Here is a recipe I got from frugal-families.com. It is so delicious and can be made in the crockpot. I use chicken drumettes (.98/lb, regular price.)

Roast Sticky Chicken
Recipe Number: 1032469652
Contributor: Stanny
Serves: 4
Calories Per Serving:
Preparation Time:
Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients:
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon paprika
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 whole roasting chicken, about 3 pounds
1 cup chopped onions
Cooking Instructions:
Combine all spices (first 8 ingredients) in small bowl.

Rinse chicken, inside and out. Drain well.

Rub spice mixture over skin and the inside of chicken.

Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnight.

When ready to roast, stuff cavity with onions.

Place chicken breast side down in roasting pan.

Roast uncovered at 250F (that's not a typo...it's really 250! Anything over 225 is safe as long as the chicken reaches an internal temperature of at least 155, which this does, and more) for about 5 hours. Baste occasionally with pan juices or until pan juices start to caramelize on bottom of pan and chicken is golden brown

Memphis Cyn 05-18-2003 11:45 AM

Egg crepes? Sounds good!
I'll go hunt down the recipe :)

Thanks so much. Great stuff so far.
I usually do buy in bulk at the stores, but it seems like my bulk is fading fast, in more ways than one:D
That's why I'm sticking fast to this WOE. I really don't care about being bored. I've found I no longer care a bit for sugar. Friday I bought a half pound of sugar so at least my daughter could have her tea, and I had some in my coffee. Blech. I'm serious! We both much prefer Splenda to sugar now. I had to count my change for a box of packets. That's the most amazing feeling too, considering the insane amount of sweets we consumed before.

My daughter allows herself more carbs, but we are both basically eating the same foods. She has LC bread for sammiches and any fruit she cares to eat and if she wants an occasional treat, she has an allowance and a quickiemart next door. But LCing has made such an impression on her. She was never overweight, just "soft". Now she's a lean bellydancing machine!

Oooh, I wish I could have a garden. Unfortunately we live in a tiny apartment with not even a porch or balcony. I grew up in a major gardening family. Tomatoes, beans, cukes and squash every summer. Now I dont even have a safe windowsill for herbs (those evil cats! speaking of, no canned friskies for them this month! they'll survive grudgingly on dry with tuna "juice" from my cans)

So far Krogers is the place this week. Can tuna 2/1.00 and ground beef 1.19 lb for 3 or more lbs. Chunk cheese 3/5 bucks.
What I'll do without: my beloved spring water (our water isn't very good here but I'll survive grudgingly!) Diet Rites, and the "good" salad mixes.

As for my splurge this week...my Friday night chocolate truffle carbolite bar! I'd cash in cans off the street for that treat! ;)

mommedawne 05-18-2003 11:51 AM

Cyn, I just use a pancake maker pan (2 sides) to make egg crepes with only eggs. I beat a dozen eggs lightly, place a bit of the egg on the hot pan, tilt the pan to ensure even thickness, flip when half way done and remove when completely done. It's very easy this way. I found the pan at the thrift store for 3 bucks and it's really helped. I always had broken crepes before. I get 24 crepes from a dozen eggs. They have almost no taste when they are so thin- I really like that about them.

mommedawne 05-18-2003 12:04 PM

Okay, I just thought of this- it is a long shot but may help someone anyway. The city I used to live in had community gardens where a person could rent a plot VERY cheaply and grow their choice of foods etc. If this is a possibility for you (and you have time and inclination to do it) that would be wonderful. Also, your county cooperative extension service would probably let you do that as well. My MIL is the home economist for her county and they are always looking for volunteers.

Mars 05-18-2003 12:13 PM

Quote:

I couldn't agree more! While its not too much more than we were spending, its definitely more!
I keep close tabs on my expenses, and I'm spending a bit over $50 a month *less* than I was eating high carb. It all depends on what you were eating before :)

Pamelap 05-18-2003 03:17 PM

You can make 1 cauliflower stretch to 3 or 4 meals when you make fake fried rice (recipe is on the board). I grate the whole head and freeze what I'm not going to cook right away. Vary the other ingredients to give it different flavors (I tried it with hamburger and cheese, chicken, and tuna).

I can usually find huge packs of chicken legs or thighs very cheap ($4 , enough for at least three meals per pack). Many times these are the items on 'buy one get one free'.

If you use half & Half in cooking, the large size is more economical, and it stays fresh a long time compared to milk.

If you have one in your area, Aldi's is great. Cheap eggs, butter, cheese, and great prices on frozen meats (they don't carry fresh meats here).

auntie3 05-19-2003 04:20 AM

Any meat with bones is great, because you can eat the meat, and leave just a little on the bone. Then make a wonderful soup with those great bones.

Anyway, you can make things like meat loaf, tuna or salmon loaf. Pork rinds, some grated parmesan cheese, finely chopped onion and mayo help to stretch the meat/fish.

Sausage can sometimes be a real bargain. All meat weiners can be pretty filling as well.

Ground beef, and tougher cheap cuts of meat are awesome for casseroles. If you have a slow cooker, all the better. Cabbage is relatively cheap, and is a great substitute for pasta.

Make little meatballs (about 1 inch in diameter. Bake in the oven, and use those for snacks. You can also use them to make Meatball Soup. Yum. You can also make little fish balls, or chicken balls. They are great!

If you could manage to buy a turkey, you can get loads of meals from one turkey. Ground turkey also makes an awesome loaf.

HTH

safetygirl 05-19-2003 04:41 AM

I posted a recipe for tuna burgers on the recipe board. If your family likes spinach, the frozen kind is usually 2/$1.00. Also, some canned green beans (2/$1.00) can be mixed to make a tuna type casserole (I remember seeing a recipe on the recipe board for it). Fresh produce can get really expensive, if you have a produce mart it may be a little cheaper for you. For instance, I pay $1.50 for romaine lettuce at the grocery store, but at the produce mart I can get 2 heads for that price. Also, eggs are cheap, check the recipe board for creative ways to make them.

Goldie_Locks_5 05-19-2003 04:54 AM

How about the .99 menu at Wendy's? Seriously! I go there and get 2 Jr bacon cheeseburgers for $2... that's my meal for lunch sometimes- I don't eat the bun, of course... you could even save the bun if times are that hard and use for something for your daughter.

I don't cook much... so I don't have a lot of recipies :( sorry! Hope things get better!

G

Human Yo Yo 05-19-2003 05:17 AM

The Roast Sticky Chicken Recipe above is really YUMMY! Also, here's what I do:

I never cook more than 2-3 meals/week.

Sunday or Monday, make a meatloaf and meatballs. Freeze the meatballs for next week. Cook the meatloaf, have leftovers for dinner the next night - Tuesday. Save whatever is leftover for Thursday night (I'll get to that night later).

Wednesday - Make that Roast Sticky Chicken, you won't regret it.

Thursday - Take the leftover meatloaf and make stuffed peppers or cabbage with it.

Friday - Put the leftover chicken into a casserole - maybe one with broccoli that will be filling.

Saturday - Eat the leftover chicken casserole.

Sunday - Take those meatballs out of the freezer!

You can add whatever side veggie - canned ones are very cheap. I make a lot of casseroles because they last longer and feed us for 2-3 days. Hope this helps - it's all in the planning!

Also - I love making deviled eggs for snacking, salad for lunch, and eggs or a batch of muffins for breakfast.

safetygirl 05-19-2003 06:04 AM

I just saw this on another board:

Crepes

I took 4 eggs, 4 tbsp of ricotta, 1 tsp of cinnamon, 1 tbsp of vanilla extract, 2 splenda packets and whipped it up. After my frying pan was hot I sprayed it w/ butter pam and poured some of the mixture in just to line the bottom of the pan. As it cooked I put extra ricotti and put it in a line throught the middle, put some more cinnamon on top and then rolled the egg over it until it looked like crepes. I put 1 tsp of ricotti and a little more cinnamon on top for show and then put Adkins syrup on top.

SIStem_shock 05-19-2003 10:54 AM

Buy blocks of cheese instead of the bagged shredded kind. I grate the whole block at once and put it in a ziplock bag for when I need it. You can freeze it that way, too, and just take out what you need. I use it a lot so I just keep the bag in the fridge.

Canned salmon is cheap. I like to get the kind without bones. Mix in one egg and a handful or two of grated cheddar cheese . Make into patties and fry in the skillet.

Also for lunch, I get the deviled chicken spread (next to the deviled ham) and mix in mayo and dill pickle relish. It not only tastes better, but goes further. I spread it on wasas for lunch or my son puts his on whole wheat bread.

The tuna pot pie recipe in the recipe room is good, cheap, and filling. It makes 8 pot pies and you can freeze a few for later.

slim gym 05-19-2003 11:47 AM

Maybe these will help; some previous threads on the topic. :)

LC BARGAINS (or low carbing on a budget)

Main Lobby: To those on TIGHT food budgets...what does your menu look like?

Century Club: To those on TIGHT food budgets...what does your menu look like?

Lowcarbing on a budget... how to cut costs!