LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 04:54 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Getting in Warm Weather/Summer Eating Mode

My fave eating of all time is "grillin' and chillin' " time…starts with Easter and ends October 1st (or thereabouts). We live in Texas and grill just about year round but the warm weather always drives us outside of the kitchen and away from a hot stove/oven most days. We have been on an extended trip and have missed, missed, missed home cooking. A few pounds crept up simply because i was at the mercy of an irregular schedule and was tempted by mucho Mexican food….I make lots of TexMex at home, but mine is low carb. Sigh. I can give up the chips at the restaurants but my desire to explore other Mexican (California, New Mexico, Arizona style) cuisines was just too much I succumbed. NOW though, doubling down and trying to transfer all those flavors into a low carb regimen. Anyway, grilling season with berries, berries, berries, lots of fresh and homegrown veggies and big ol' salads with steak, shrimp, chicken, etc. Yep…I'm happy

Here's my postSNAP challenge menu for the next week and half *working on a monthly menu strategy*:
Breakfasts are usually a smoothie, full fat greek yogurt, eggs/omelet with mushrooms/peppers/cheese, bacon or sausage patties. Lunches are usually a shake with berries or leftovers from night before.

Wednesday (last night)- grilled salmon, salad greens with asparagus
Thursday- Greek turkey burgers tzatziki sauce *hubby gets a bun, I get a big salad*
Friday- Rib eye steaks *on sale this week* with tomato/watermelon salad with arugala and mint
Saturday- Big salad with grilled shrimp, bacon and crumbled blue cheese
Sunday- Mother's Day-smoked chicken, ribs and salmon, layered salad, black *soy* beans salsa
Monday-Turkey meatballs with Dreamfields spaghetti *using half zucchini strands*, green bean salad
Tuesday- grilled chicken wings with cole slaw
Wednesday- bacon cheddar burgers with salad
Thursday- grilled pork tenderloin, cauliflower salad *Dans Carpenter's recipe*
Friday- grilled fish tacos with pickled onions and crunchy cabbage
Saturday- smoked brisket, deviled eggs, big ol' salad
Sunday-grilled salmon, squash casserole, cucumber/onion salad

Look for deals this week for Mother's Day…steaks and whole chickens around here
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2014, 06:45 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Not sure which cauliflower salad you mean, but this one is yummy, also from Dana Carpender's Low-Carb Barbecue Book. She says it's her favorite. Mine too. I usually just use the whole cauliflower without needing to increase the mayo. I often omit the tomato. Give the flavors time to meld, overnight works well.

SOUTHWESTERN UNPOTATO SALAD
˝ head cauliflower
˝ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 small jalapeno
˝ cup chopped cilantro
1 clove garlic, crushed
˝ cup diced red onion
1 small tomato

Cut cauliflower into ˝" chunks - don't bother coring, just trim bottom of the stem and cut the core up with the rest of it. Put cauliflower chunks in a microwaveable casserole with a lid, add a few tablespoons of water, and nuke on "high" for 7 minutes. Drain cauliflower and put in a large mixing bowl.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the mayo, mustard, and lime juice, then pour over the cauliflower and mix well. Cut the jalapeno in half, remove the seeds, and mince it fine. Add it to the salad along with the cilantro, garlic, and diced red onion, and mix again. Finally, cut the stem out of the tomato, then cut it into smallish dice, and carefully stir in. Chill the salad for a few hours before serving.

6 servings, each with: 150 Calories; 16g Fat; 1g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2 g usable carb.

Last edited by Patience; 05-08-2014 at 06:46 AM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:20 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
I wanna steal some menus... I mean participate
Its me - WENDALINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
Not sure which cauliflower salad you mean, but this one is yummy, also from Dana Carpender's Low-Carb Barbecue Book. She says it's her favorite. Mine too. I usually just use the whole cauliflower without needing to increase the mayo. I often omit the tomato. Give the flavors time to meld, overnight works well.

SOUTHWESTERN UNPOTATO SALAD
˝ head cauliflower
˝ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 small jalapeno
˝ cup chopped cilantro
1 clove garlic, crushed
˝ cup diced red onion
1 small tomato

Cut cauliflower into ˝" chunks - don't bother coring, just trim bottom of the stem and cut the core up with the rest of it. Put cauliflower chunks in a microwaveable casserole with a lid, add a few tablespoons of water, and nuke on "high" for 7 minutes. Drain cauliflower and put in a large mixing bowl.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the mayo, mustard, and lime juice, then pour over the cauliflower and mix well. Cut the jalapeno in half, remove the seeds, and mince it fine. Add it to the salad along with the cilantro, garlic, and diced red onion, and mix again. Finally, cut the stem out of the tomato, then cut it into smallish dice, and carefully stir in. Chill the salad for a few hours before serving.

6 servings, each with: 150 Calories; 16g Fat; 1g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2 g usable carb.
That's it!!! I've added black olives and a bit of cilantro to it too. It's sooooo good.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
How about some cream cheese stuffed jalapenos with that!
RyeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:24 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeBaby View Post
How about some cream cheese stuffed jalapenos with that!
Stick a shrimp in it, wrap it in bacon and baby I. Am. There.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
I love grillin season! DH has a decent schedule finally and I am going to take advantage. Ribeyes are $5.99/lb and chicken breasts - boneless skinless for only $1.59/lb Snow crab legs are also $5.99/lb

Great time of year to stock up on lots!!!
Its me - WENDALINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:05 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its me - WENDALINA View Post
I love grillin season! DH has a decent schedule finally and I am going to take advantage. Ribeyes are $5.99/lb and chicken breasts - boneless skinless for only $1.59/lb Snow crab legs are also $5.99/lb

Great time of year to stock up on lots!!!
Good on ya Wendy I got a buncha today by the pound- ground chuck $2.99, ground chicken $2.99, ground pork sausage $2.99, boneless skinless chicken breast $2.99. Stocked up.

So many good things....yikes. Endless possibilities. Working my way around non beef and non pork menus due to prices. Will look forward to heavy beef and some pork chops in the fall. Sigh.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:57 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Menus thru June 1

Working around beef and pork these next two weeks even though I did find some ground chuck and pork for $2.99/lb. But, looking ahead for the next weeks and months, my local farm, with a truly spectacular assortment of fresh veggies and low prices should be my focus. Lots of salads dominate in next few weeks, but mostly that's a fallout from being on the road and getting back to eating lighter. Besides, all the salad bags at the stores lately have been BOGO so I'm taking advantage of that. Looking forward to squash, tomatoes, fennel - all from my own garden. Eggplant, okra, peppers, cucumbers, seedless watermelon from the local farm. Also, my local fish peeps are offering fish and shrimp for less $$$ than pork and beef, so my menus reflect that. Can't get enough of that salmon (especially on sale).

Monday grilled (or smoked) pork chops, wilted greens, fried avocados
Tuesday bacon cheddar burgers, salad
Wednesday grilled rosemary chicken thighs, avocado, bacon, salad
Thursday taco salad with (soy) black beans, cheese, corn, tomatoes
Friday chicken sausage stuffed poblanos, Watermelon/tomato/feta salad
Saturday ribeyes, grilled sweet potato wedges
Sunday turkey meatloaf, cheesy bacon mashed fauxtatoes
Monday grilled salmon, asparagus, tomato/cucumber salad
Tuesday blue cheese chicken burgers, Bacon wrapped avocado fries
Wednesday Southwest grilled veggie tacos (sweet potatoes, radishes, squash, onions, fennel, etc..)
Thursday grilled cod with tomatoes and olives, green beans
Friday BBQ chicken salad with cilantro lime ranch
Saturday shrimp, bacon, blue cheese salad
Sunday grilled salmon, squash casserole