Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Menus (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-menus/)
-   -   SNAP challenge 2014 (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-menus/825062-snap-challenge-2014-a.html)

mamasooze 03-09-2014 08:49 AM

SNAP challenge 2014

Wow! It's been a long time. Life happens and the holidays too. We are starting our Lenten Challenge this week. We will be eating as clean as possible and this year I have an advantage....I must, must, must clean out the pantry and the freezer. I plan on pantry/freezer cooking for 3 weeks and by then they should be fairly culled, and then I will hardcore my last 12 days by buying only what I need. Many recipes are simple low carb. My DH eats bread, biscuits, beans and other complex carbs- whereas I abstain from most of those. The pastas we eat are from Dreamfields and usually is mixed with zucchini strands. I do eat sweet potatoes, usually half of what DH eats. I generally like my breakfast/lunch on light side and large dinner. My black beans are soy beans. Use lettuce leaves for my burgers, etc. Fill up on avocados on sale. But will miss my salmon...$12.50 per lb. Thats just crazy. :mad: I will eat catfish and Swai.

My biggest discipline will be be 10,000 steps at least 3 times a week :lol:

Find my budget blog here: nourishmentforthesoul on tumblr Back In The Saddle Again- SNAP Challenge 2014

mamasooze 03-17-2014 08:58 AM

SNAP Challenge Week Two- Make Mine Mexican

Second week SNAP challenge

No trips to grocery store, so no money spent. Yay. Big dents in freezer and pantry. At end of three weeks, these both should be easy to clean out. And wrangling to go to Froberg (truck) farm and score cheap veggies. Passed on the bottle of Jamison's at Spec's so I can spend what I want at the farm �� St. Patricks Day means a great root vegetable soup is in our future. Saving last week by pantry/freezer cooking $27. Nutritious food! Yum!

Monday cabbage/rutabaga soup, soda bread, Guinness
Tuesday Smothered pork chops, chopped greens
Wednesday Mexican Squash casserole
Thursday turkey burgers, sweet potato fries
Friday fish tacos, cole slaw, pico de gallo
Saturday pork and hominy stew
Sunday grilled cheese with tortilla soup

Shopped for perishables at Aldi and Froberg Farm for upcoming week.
My total for the next week....$41. Under budget $14 for the week. Adding savings from last week ($27) I come up with $41- must be my lucky number this week.

Find recipes at the site below-still pantry cooking so all recipe ingredients are subject to change :)
nourishmentforthesoul on tumbler.

mamasooze 03-17-2014 06:22 PM

Oops! Update to the SNAP challenge found here:
nourishmentforthesoul snapchallengeweektwo

Made a math error. Been corrected.

mamasooze 03-23-2014 09:59 AM

Finished week Two of SNAP Challenge

Week two of SC2014 went OK. As usual, it got easier the second week, not worrying about grocery store or what to eat as the menu is already done, and meat/seafood thawed out when I need it. I did have to go to the store, and at least it was on the way to where I was going. Got 2 onions, 2 bananas, and 3 limes. And I did stop at World Market on a busy day and bought a dark chocolate bar cuz I had small breakfast and needed some tiding over till lunch. So adding 2.59, .65, .66, and .45 - my total for week two comes to: $45.35.

Shopping Aldi/Kroger and spent $40.58 for upcoming week. No trip to Froberg Farm until maybe next week. Messed up my phone and lost my list sooooooo...I forgot a few items, luckily veggies and they aren't that $$$. My impulse buy of the week was a big block of ColbyJack cheese. On sale for $6.99. Pimento cheese in our future :lol:

Monday shrimp pasta/salad
Tuesday lamb burger with tadziki
Wednesday taco salad (using Boca Crumbles)
Thursday turkey porcupine meatballs/cabbage
Friday fish sandwich, slaw, pico di gallo
Saturday chicken Caesar salad
Sunday whole chicken smoked, asparagus, green salad

Dottie 03-24-2014 07:06 AM

Sooze what is your recipe for pimento cheese, please? :)

mamasooze 03-24-2014 09:16 PM

Dottie, I have two ways of making it. The SNAP version is using the box grater and grating 2 cups of cheese (Colby Jack in this case). Add a couple of tablespoons roasted red peppers, chopped really fine green onions, and moisten with mayo.

The down and dirty non-SNAP version that's more suited for Texas funerals :cry: is as follows:
1 container HEB deli pimento cheese, 1 pint
1 lb smoked Gouda, grated
I can chopped green chiles (Hatch or Old El Paso brand)
Mayo to moisten

Mix together to spreadable consistency and this batch makes enough for 2-3 loaves bread made into sandwiches. Me? I skip the bread and just eat it off the spoon :hyst:

Dottie 03-27-2014 07:49 AM

Thanks both look great!:) (I agree, off the spoon or with celery sticks is the way to go :D )

mamasooze 03-28-2014 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16852628)
Thanks both look great!:) (I agree, off the spoon or with celery sticks is the way to go :D )

You can also add softened cream cheese to stretch it a bit too, if need be.

mamasooze 03-31-2014 03:28 PM

Finished Week Three of the SNAP Challenge

Just a little over two more weeks before the challenge comes to an end. Still eating out of freezer but this looks to be the last week of that. I will pretty soon have to buy some proteins and that will put a dent in the old pocket book :annoyed: Spent a further $6.99 on some vegetables and an impulse buy - Boars Head Chipotle Gourmaise. Yikes...$3.99. It was a freebie tasting and boy is it good. Good on my fish fer shure. Will have to make it last. That brought my total for the week to $49.56.

Went to Aldi and Kroger and bought first protein in weeks - pork ribs. On sale at Kroger for $2.99 a pound. I spent $49.88.
Brings my total saving to date - $66.00 and quite a bit of change.

Menus this week

Monday hominy chili/cheese casserole, sautéed squash
Tuesday smoked ribs, cole slaw
Wednesday chili (boca crumbles) Mac, salad
Thursday pork tenderloin, green beans, tomato/avocadosalad
Friday shrimp and greens gumbo, brown rice
Saturday chicken thighs/okra stew
Sunday ribeyes, asparagus, green salad (steaks- last bonus find in freezer)

Trinity 04-04-2014 07:58 PM

We miss our Aldi store SO MUCH! They SO rock!...

This isn't an entire week's plan, but it is something the whole family loves and it lasts for 2 to 3 days in our house.
I salt and pepper a pork picnic shoulder, add a cup of water and cover it with foil, then I slow cook it in the oven for 8 hours at 325. I get a really big one, too, so it will last.

We eat it for dinner, pulled. The non-low-carbers eat it with buns and fixings, and the rest of us eat it with a green vegetable....or for lunch with pickles.

This is a sample week:
MON: Turkey burgers on the grill & Italian cut green beans
TUES: Poached salmon and steamed broccoli
WED: Chicken fricassee (with cream sauce) and early peas
THURS: Grilled steaks (with mushroom, butter & wine sauce) & salad greens
FRI: Cod cakes, asparagus and dried fruit & nut blue cheese terrine garnished with berries
SAT: Beef burgers on the grill, pickles, salad greens &/or broccoli
SUN: Slow roasted pork (leftovers for lunch through the week), Italian cut green beans, spaghetti squash

mamasooze 04-05-2014 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trinity (Post 16863558)
We miss our Aldi store SO MUCH! They SO rock!...

This isn't an entire week's plan, but it is something the whole family loves and it lasts for 2 to 3 days in our house.
I salt and pepper a pork picnic shoulder, add a cup of water and cover it with foil, then I slow cook it in the oven for 8 hours at 325. I get a really big one, too, so it will last.

We eat it for dinner, pulled. The non-low-carbers eat it with buns and fixings, and the rest of us eat it with a green vegetable....or for lunch with pickles.

This is a sample week:
MON: Turkey burgers on the grill & Italian cut green beans
TUES: Poached salmon and steamed broccoli
WED: Chicken fricassee (with cream sauce) and early peas
THURS: Grilled steaks (with mushroom, butter & wine sauce) & salad greens
FRI: Cod cakes, asparagus and dried fruit & nut blue cheese terrine garnished with berries
SAT: Beef burgers on the grill, pickles, salad greens &/or broccoli
SUN: Slow roasted pork (leftovers for lunch through the week), Italian cut green beans, spaghetti squash

Wow! Looks a lot like our menus :shake: and yes, the pork shoulder is your best budget item evah! I bought four on sale (about 8 lbs each) last fall when we got our electric smoker. I still have two and will pull one out for Easter, smoking a lamb leg too. Sooooo good and so many things to use for as you mention. I also use it to make chili and hash (especially with sweet potatoes).

Love the challenge of doing my challenges ;) but let me tell you, when this one is over on Good Friday I am hotfootin' it the local seafood store to get some of my beloved Norwegian salmon which I haven't had in more than a month :cry: due to its high cost- 25% of weekly budget. I will eat a pound that night fer shure.

mamasooze 04-08-2014 06:09 AM

Week Four SNAP Challenge

Ouch! Lots of stuff going on and haven’t been to grocery store for SNAP cooking at all. Won’t be going till tomorrow so will see how this effects the budget….ate leftovers for a few days and will scrounge around the pantry for whatever we need.
Menus for the week…
Monday Leftovers
Tuesday hamburgers
Wednesday cheese enchiladas, green salad
Thursday spaghetti with turkey meatballs
Friday catfish tacos
Saturday ribs and cole slaw
Sunday out for lunch and dinner

Bought minor items during the week- lettuce, avocados, bananas, lemons, limes, etc- for about $7. Will need a few proteins for upcoming week. I need to pro rate the following week as it will only be a four day challenge week. The challenge ends on the 17th. Will have finally $$$ tally next week on the 18th. So, far, so good :jumpjoy:

mamasooze 04-17-2014 07:41 AM

Ending the SNAP Challenge 2014

Havoc was wreaked on my budget in the last few weeks. Funeral food plus friends in need of meals (kept separate from my family food budget). My lines got blurred to say the least. I tried my best to keep everything straight but it just wasn't happening, also losing a receipt and having to rely on memory didn't help. I scrounged even more from freezer and pantry. Never made it to buy veggies at farm and only made it today to grocery store for any serious shopping- it's been almost two weeks. Sooooo....had to abandon the meatless days several times. Oy! At least I felt bad about it :cry:

Spent about $30 last week on us, out of a $65 budget. And this week, adjusting for the shortness of the week, the budget is about $35 and only spent about $25. Whatever is left in the "special" cash wallet for food goes to UTO- The United Thank Offering, a wonderful charity in my church, the Episcopal Church. Total saved throughout the challenge looks to be about.....drumroll please....$105.00.

The freezer is devoid of proteins-exhausted that category- and the pantry is becoming manageable. I can stay out of store allllll week. Yay...no impulse buying. Will be attempting a salad/vegetable challenge once we get in full swing with summer. Will need a theme-TexMex, Italian, my New Depression Cuisine? Decisions, decisions.