LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 04:11 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Time To Come Baaaaaaaack!

Wow! Been gone a while doing life stuff. You think you were busy before, wait till you "retire"

Staying on track over here. Have added walking 5 days (and weather permitting) to my life. Three days a week I walk 10,000 steps, at least 8,000 aerobically, and then the other days I walk 3-4 miles but a bit leisurely. I have been watching calories as well as carbs. I started the day after Labor Day. Well, last night I shimmied off my size 14 pants over my hips while they were buttoned and zipped ok....moving on to size 12. Hope to be a 10 in a month. Going on a cruise.

While away from boards a few things have come up - we got an electric smoker. Wow!! It's great. Opening a whole new dimension in our eating habits. On a lazy Sunday afternoon we smoke enough proteins for 3 or 4 meals. Ribs, turkey breast and drums, game hens, salmon, pork loin, whole chicken and wings. That leaves me to come up with a salad and a side on those week nights. Streamlined that dinner prep, right? Also went to 1$ store the other day for a few items and came away amazed at the food selection now I'm thinking about doing a food challenge in the future. Not much fresh, but an excellent selection of name brand canned foods, many low sodium, and a few things in the cooler made it interesting.

At any rate, here are my menus for the rest of the month. We still have our toddler with us most days. She eats her fresh fruits, Mac n cheese, chicken nuggets and yes, a corned dog from Sonic from time to time not often....

Breakfasts for me are: (any combination of)
protein shake, Eggbeaters (had to cut back on eggs because of my arthritic knees) flax muffin, coffee, cup of lowcarb milk, cottage cheese, Canadian bacon or ham
Breakfasts for hubby:
biscuit, eggs, Cheerios, toast, sausage

Mostly during week we eat leftovers for lunch. Hubby likes his Sammie's and low sodium (canned) soups

13 Sunday-smoked chicken, squash fries, zucchini
Monday-chicken/hominy/ veggie stew
Tuesday-pork ribs, slaw
Wednesday-tilapia, salad, green beans
Thursday- steaks, baked sweet potatoes, salad
Friday- bbq shrimp, polenta
Saturday- smoked turkey drums, Mac n cheese
20Sunday- smoked fish- salmon and catfish fillets, salad
Monday- pork medallions, baked butternut squash
Tuesday- baked chicken, loaded broccoli
Wednesday-chicken noodle soup ( loaded with veg)
Thursday- turkey burgers with sweet potato fries
Friday- pot roast, braised vegetables
Saturday- smoked pork butt, caramelized carrots with feta
27Sunday- pork tacos with slaw
Monday- vegetable beef soup
Tuesday- turkey meatballs, spaghetti (squash)
Wednesday- breakfast for dinner
Thursday- chili with corn muffins

Last edited by mamasooze; 10-13-2013 at 04:16 AM..
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gramma
Stats: 168/157/118
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 8/31/2013
Any Ieas?

You seem to be doing everything right, madame. Thanks for publishing the menus for the month; having a plan saves lots of time as well as agonizing over "what can I eat, while the rest of the family isn't lc'ing with me?"

When you stall, how do you get past it? I returned to Atkins Indicution on Labor Day weekend and promptly lost 12# in 10 days --- hadn't lost a single pound since until this morning's weigh-in --- down 1 single measley pound!
I'm just under 30 carbs a day ... and lots of water.

I'm trying so hard to stay motivated and Hubby is being very supportive in general. He did, however, say something the other night that got my attention. His overall comment was that he was having trouble being supportive when we weren't seeing much in the way of results ... got any ideas?

Gramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
WB mama! Wow a whole month of meals planned out. That is Great! I do good a week at a time.

Gramma, I so know what you're feeling with a semi-supportive husband. I lost over 10lbs and when I told my husband he gave me that look like Well, you can' tell it. Just ignore him and keep trucking along. This is you body, your health, you are improving you and that is all that matters.

As for the stalling - have you measured? Maybe your losing inches in places as body adjusts. If not cut down some carbs, try 25 for a while and see how that does.

Here's my week plan for the 14th - 20th -
Monday
Chicken Rolls Salad

Tuesday
Bacon Beef Rolls
Cabbage

Wednesday
Philly Cheeseburger Skillet

Thursday
Swiss Mushroom Chicken
Fried Rice
side salad

Friday
Southwest Taco Soup

Saturday
Hamburger n Hotdogs

Sunday
Pork Roast
baked green beans
Radish Red Skin Potatoes
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Warning- some might not like what I say.....preface it all by: I'm almost 60 so the age will make a difference in weight loss. Ok, with that out of the way...started in earnest with weight loss in May 2005. I was 230, 5 ft 5. Always heavy but that was just ridiculous. Had dizzy spells, was falling over and BP was crazy. Started walking- 10,000 steps a day and then running. Low carb, low cal, lots of good clean low glycemic foods. More than 30 lbs came off. So many things happened- very, very large life events and then there was *******. Yikes. All over the map. Kept on watching food but falling behind on exercise, but doing 1/2 M and 10K here and there. Was always active, then sprained ankle and was sidelined. Long story short...too late I had 2 summers of little activity but did not seem to have gained, same size I was a year ago. Shocked! I don't do scales (got obsessive during ******* and can't live that way) so I decided it was time to run with it and get back to basics. So I started the 10,000 steps a day for 3 days, 3-4 miles other days. Keeping carbs at 30 or so, calories around 1350, protein about 75. It's working. And, BTW I did have a 2 year plateau along the way. Arggggg. Anyway this still hasn't helped my sleep pattern at all- -working on that. And I still do that sugar free "beverage" at end of day It's my reward/snack for the day. Exercise might not work for everybody, but for me, it's working great. And better still, I enjoy it. That first 30 plus pounds that came off originally, never came back.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

A Two-Year Stall?

How demoralizing! But you prevailed --- and are back on the wagon.

I like the idea of the 10,000 steps ... how do you measure them? Is there a pedometer or something you wear that keeps track of them?

I think you've got something there with the comment about age (potentially) being a factor in weight loss troubles. I just turned 67 last month and I don't remember having this trouble losing weight on Atkins in my 30's or 40's. Of course, in those days I had a thyroid that "worked" as well and that may be part of it for me.

But, we've got to keep on keeping on, don't we?
Old 10-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramma View Post
How demoralizing! But you prevailed --- and are back on the wagon.

I like the idea of the 10,000 steps ... how do you measure them? Is there a pedometer or something you wear that keeps track of them?

I think you've got something there with the comment about age (potentially) being a factor in weight loss troubles. I just turned 67 last month and I don't remember having this trouble losing weight on Atkins in my 30's or 40's. Of course, in those days I had a thyroid that "worked" as well and that may be part of it for me.

But, we've got to keep on keeping on, don't we?
You got it Gramma! Yes, the stall was pretty demoralizing BUT I had sworn to myself in the beginning that I would lose the weight no matter how long it took. Gee God- I didn't mean this long but I just remember how bad it was before, so yes, gotta persevere.

The 10,000 steps is advocated by lots of various programs. Google it. I have a pedometer and an app on my iPhone that measure my steps and time. Sent away for a Fitbug and hope to have it soon.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the encouragement, mamasooze!

I'll look into the pedometer today. Walking I can do --- cardio and lots of jumping around is not what this gal can keep up.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'll look into the pedometer today. Walking I can do --- cardio and lots of jumping around is not what this gal can keep up.
No jumping Gramma. Good clean walking in a nice park. Can't beat it
Old 10-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Wow!!! Rockin' my $1 per pound pork butts from HEB The last time I saw these big butts was when Kroger had them-- smallest one was 16 lbs at $1.49 a lb- could hardly haul out of case. I knew if I waited, something good would happen....bought two 8 pounders plus a big pork sirloin roast. Hard to calculate how many meals between the three....we will have it sliced, in a chili, in soups, in tacos, in nachos, enchiladas, sliders, with beans and rice. And we eat the leftovers at lunch. I'm counting what at least 32+ servings???
Old 10-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

What Else to Do With all That Pork

I just finished up the last of a pork sirloin roast for breakfast this morning. DH and I had dinner twice, and I had breakfast (the meat only; no need for anything else with this lean protein) for four mornings from a 2.25# cut ... so you should be able to get that 32+ servings from your purchases.

One morning, though, I took one slice, made slivers out of it, nuked it while I fried my one egg and used the meat as "toast" for the egg. I almost didn't miss the bread!
Will you be smoking those butts and then pulling it? If you do, what's your recipe for a nice low-carb barbecue sauce for it?
Old 10-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I just finished up the last of a pork sirloin roast for breakfast this morning. DH and I had dinner twice, and I had breakfast (the meat only; no need for anything else with this lean protein) for four mornings from a 2.25# cut ... so you should be able to get that 32+ servings from your purchases.

One morning, though, I took one slice, made slivers out of it, nuked it while I fried my one egg and used the meat as "toast" for the egg. I almost didn't miss the bread!
Will you be smoking those butts and then pulling it? If you do, what's your recipe for a nice low-carb barbecue sauce for it?
Oh yep....I pull and chop too. Generally what I do for BBQ sauce is get the lowest sugar one I can find and cut it with bourbon and reduced sugar ketchup. Who needs bread? Faster to reach for that fork and start eating