Old 06-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChristineP
Stats: 198/182/140
WOE: South Beach Diet
Start Date: 09/10/2012
June 2013 Menus

I hope nobody minds my starting...

If anyone is interested in following along: I’m doing a SNAP food budget low carb

If we were on SNAP, my husband me and myself would have an allowance of 128.43 per person per month
That works out (times three, time twelve, divided by 52) to 88.91 per week
I wanted to help out a family member who lives in another state that is always saying “I’m fat because we’re poor and all we can afford is packaged food and carbs” (literally she says that!) that you CAN eat healthfully, with lower carbs, without prepackaged food on a SNAP budget.

She’s had health issues due to poor diet and I’m hoping that even though she’s in another state, that this can be of some help to her….
What I bought

Cilantro
3pk kiwi
Poblano peppers
Mushrooms
Bell Peppers
Cucumbers
Cauliflower
Lettuce
romaine
Parsley
Green Onions
Zucchini
Grape Tomatoes

Milk
Eggs
Cottage cheese
Yogurt (plain)
Cheese (block of cheddar)
L/F sour cream

Sugar Free sweetener
Nonstick spray
Pinto Beans
Brown rice
Oatmeal
Can of black olives
Jar of salsa
Generic “jello” peach

Ground beef
Turkey Bacon
2 whole chickens
Tongue

2 bags of Mixed froz veggies
s/f non dairy whipped topping

My menu this week:

Breakfasts
Broccoli/cheddar crustless quiche
Baked Oatmeal (using the little bit of Splenda brown sugar I had left in the pantry and some Generic Splenda from Aldi

Dinners:
Sunday: Tacos Lenguas, refried pinto beans (no lard)
(no tortilla for me & hubby, home made tortillas for DD, we had the masa already in the pantry)
Monday: bean and brown rice patty w/ salad
Tuesday: Salisbury Steaks (sort of) burgers cooked in the frying pan, made a pan sauce from mushrooms and onions and frozen mixed veggies and cauliflower loaded mashed ‘fauxtatoes”

Wednesday: roast chicken, zucchini and tomato sautee
Thursday: Taco Salad (salsa, sour cream, lettuce, shredded cheese)
Friday: leftovers including soup
Saturday: roast chicken, brown rice, salad

Snacks:
Lettuce wraps w/ chicken
Cheese
Cottage cheese
Peach Jello/whip
Veggies cut up
Yogurt, sweetened and flavored by me

Lunches are almost ALL leftovers from dinner the night before, with salad or soup if we wind up short

I also made a pot of Minestrone Soup without any pasta in it, I had a can of cannelini beans in my pantry as well as celery and onions already on hand

So… that’s it
It’s not really too much of a departure from what we’re eating already
ChristineP is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
As a fellow SNAPer...I applaud you that looks very good. While semi-SNAP most of the time, at this time of year I am partial to Copper River Salmon which comes with a high price tag. My fishmonger wrapped up my two pounds and handed me "my investment" (his words). Thank goodness my hubs doesn't care for salmon otherwise I'd be baroque. I make it up in other ways- made my own Greek yogurt from marked down organic whole milk. Made some ricotta and and queso blanco from it too. Mine tastes better than any store-bought. Went to farmers market and hauled home all sorts of veg for freezing, pickling and grilling. Made a quart of marinara from a $1 bucket of tomatoes. Went to store and passed up ribeyes on sale- about $15 for 3-4 steaks. Bought huge chicken breasts with skin and bone for cheap- about $1 a lb. so finished buying proteins for month and will concentrate on Fourth of July special buys coming up. Also going to farmers market in two weeks so don't really know what we may have This is my best outline....

Sunday- salmon, Greek salad (hubby gets chicken breast of talapia)
Monday- grilled chicken thighs, salad
Tuesday- burgers, grilled zucchini
Wednesday- ribs, grilled cabbage
Thursday- vegetable stuffed poblanos, green salad
Friday- bacon wrapped asparagus, shrimp pasta- we dont have problems with Dreamfields-green salad
Saturday- chicken/eggplant Parmesan, grilled broccoli salad
Sunday- steaks, grilled fruits, kale avocado salad
Monday- salmon, cucumber salad, (something for hubby besides salmon)
Tuesday- pork loin, grilled asparagus with grapefruit vinaigrette.
Wednesday- fish tacos with broccoli slaw, pickled radishes
Thursday- pork steaks, salad, grilled peaches
Friday- major bacon/shrimp/avocado salad
Saturday- baked penne, watermelon/tomato feta over greens
Sunday- toss up- going to farmers market

Breakfasts will be low sodium bacon, eggs (bought $1 a dozen), Trader Joes Oatie Os for hubs and Baby, yogurt, mini pancakes, coconut waffles, homemade sausage, fresh fruit or berries.

Lunches are generally a sammie or leftovers for DH, Baby gets a protein/starch/fruit/berry yogurt. I usually have a green protein smoothie and then have a HB egg or two in the afternoon. We eat pretty well for being on a DIET
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ravengal
Nice list and menus!
ravengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChristineP
Stats: 198/182/140
WOE: South Beach Diet
Start Date: 09/10/2012
mamasooze, that's an awesome game plan I am in awe!

This week for me is all about ‘shopping’ what I have on hand already
In my freezer I have a beautiful piece of Chilean sea bass (which I think is going to wind up sitting till next Monday)

1 whole chicken
ground lean turkey
Boneless/skinless chix breasts (coming out the ears… I’ve picked up on sales here and there not realizing I had a stock pile going on)
Italian turkey sausage
Chicken thighs
Costco mixed veg (balsamic something or other)
Various other packages of Green Giant Frozen veggies I’ve picked up here and there on sale with coupons for next to nothing

Sunday we fished burgers and dogs from the freezer and had those on the grill
(mine over salad)

My problem is that I’m out of fresh stuff other than lettuce and two zucchini and some odds and end here and there

I’m also out of eggs…which stinks

Breakfast this week: oatmeal (splenda, cinnamon, I Can’t belive it’s not butter and a splash of vanilla

Dinners:
Monday Roast chicken, broccoli from the freezer (DD & DH had some brown rice on the side)
Tues: Ground turkey taco salad (DD will wrap it up in a tortilla) salsa, sour cream, black olives, green onion (if I have any green onion left) shredded cheddar

Wed: Grilled thighs, frozen mixed veg, DD and DH can have brown rice or quinoa on the side (I make it pilaf style for them)

Thurs: Sausage in marinara sauce, shirtaki noodles (real pasta for DD)

Friday: ‘buffalo’ grilled boneless skinless chicken breasts (brush w/ hot sauce while grilling) diced, served in lettuce cups (maybe we should eat this sooner than Friday??? The lettuce is from last week and might not make it)

Saturday we will be heading to the beach with my step-daughter and her hubby to be to relax and probably will go out to eat

Lunches are almost all lefovers, supplemented with the minestrone I have in the freezer and/or tuna salad

Snacks: what we have left in the fridge: cheese sticks, ricotta, cottage cheese, apple slices, sugar fee jello in the pantry (it’s green, what was I thinking?)
ChristineP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Some revisions- went to truck farm for veggies and decided to try to clean out freezer

Sunday- ribs, wings, salmon, cantaloupe, beans, corn (Fathers Day fare), asparagus
Monday- leftovers, tomatoes
Tuesday- flank steak with chimichurri sauce, green salad, grilled fruit (potato for pops)
Wednesday-Turkey burgers, sweet potato fries
Thursday- pork fajitas with fresh fruit salsa
Friday- marinara and meatballs over 1/2 zucchini and 1/2 Dreamfields pasta, asparagus
Saturday- grilled shrimp salad with bacon, avocado, tomatoes
Sunday- a birthday dinner so not sure
Monday- blueberry balsamic chicken thighs (a new fave), smothered okra,
Tuesday- eggplant parmagiana (have a ton of tomatoes sooooo more marinara), salad, fruit
Wednesday-grilled salmon (for me) talapia (for pops), grilled romaine, fresh fruit salsa of some kind
Thursday- turkey ricotta meatloaf, faux-tatoes, green beans
Friday- stuffed bell peppers ( a meat and quinoa concoction), grilled squash
Saturday- fish tacos with the works- scored some low carb tortillas at Trader Joes
Sunday- Lemon/ oregano grilled chicken, Greek salad, grilled asparagus

I guess you can tell we lurves us some grilled asparagus (and okra too). This takes to end of June.
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Maureenlw
Start Date: 5/13/2013
Great post! I've always said one can eat very healthy on a low budget! Good for you for living it and showing everyone it can be done! I can't wait to see more of your menus!
Maureenlw is offline   Reply With Quote