Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Meal ideas for a large group

What is a good, LC, induction-friendly meal to make for a large group? We have a full house over the weekend and I am cooking at least one large meal - I don't generally cook for large groups so looking for some nice ideas. Thoughts?

Jes
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
A roasted chicken/s

A big big salad with lots of different veg and a good lettuce/greens/herb mix, with different dressings and things like feta/blue cheese crumbles/pepperonici on the side.

A beef stew- you can make a giant cauldron of tasty beef and veg ahead of time.
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halos
Stats: (275)256/240/140
Start Date: 9/24/2013
Taco salad- shells for those not low carbing

beef roast is a good crockpot meal

burgers on the grill
halos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

These are great - keep 'em coming! I was going to do a roast chicken but I would need to make 2 and that seemed like a hassle...maybe marinated cut up chicken (thighs, breasts etc.)?
Old 05-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
I would do chili in a countertop roaster- or lacking that- in the oven. Any
hearty soup can easily be doubled, tripled or whatever is necessary to
feed a crowd. A lot of people (males especially) aren't happy with a salad
(even a chef's salad) but my friend makes an amazing salad with romaine,
chicken breast, dried cranberries, walnuts, feta and raspberry vinaigrette.
She served a VAT of that at a party one time- very well received.
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Deviled eggs are great too.

You might roast one chicken and then put another cut up chicken or chicken pieces into a soup.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
Deviled eggs are great too.
When I have deviled eggs, I don't wanna share!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Sorry - I didn't give enough information. I'm doing a sit-down dinner. Not formal, but not chili, burgers or soup. I could do soup as an appetizer, though.

I'm looking for "dinner party" food, if that makes sense. The last time this group was here I made flounder "roll ups", but this time I am leaning towards some kind of chicken. I of course can make a roast beef or roast chicken - just thought perhaps there were some good preparations or ideas out there for more of a special meal.

I have this idea of doing a huge chicken curry, but I haven't had any luck in the past - the coconut milk always separates no matter how low I keep the temp.

Maybe lamb "rogon josh?" Or chicken, sausage and peppers? Ugh.

You know when you're looking for something "a little special" but nothing sounds do-able?

Portia's Journal
Old 05-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #9

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
You've already gotten some good recommendations. When I have been in a situation where I needed to cook for my entire family, at holidays or on vacation, I sometimes do a bunch of roasted chicken thighs/drumsticks/breast pieces, and I make a vegetable and a huge salad, and maybe a starchy side like rice or potatoes for the rest of them. The reason I don't make whole roasted chickens is just that it's easier to pass a platter with chicken pieces, and if I'm cooking for 13-15 people I want it to be something that is easier for me. I don't want to be stuck in the kitchen cutting up chickens for that many people.

I sometimes make a regular non-low-carb main dish for them like chili (which isn't that high-carb if you are able to eat beans), and set out bowls of serve-yourself garnishes like shredded cheese, sour cream and chopped green onion. Corn muffins on the side, a huge salad, and everybody is happy. A big pot of beef stew and a salad is a great suggestion, with some crusty bread for the carb eaters. (At this point in my maintenance, I don't fret about potatoes or carrots being in a stew--I can pick them out or eat a few, it's no big deal.)

I have even thrown a couple of frozen lasagnas in the oven when I'm at my mom's house. It's not a gourmet crowd; they just want to be fed.

I did do a taco or fajita-type salad once. I made the big salad ahead of time and served the grilled, seasoned chicken, onions, and peppers in a separate dish so people could take what they wanted. Again with the bowls of serve-yourself garnishes. Much of this can be done ahead of time so all you have to cook is the hot stuff. I provided tortilla chips and salsa for the carb-eaters and they all liked it a lot.

When it's a big group, I make sure to provide for myself by cooking some chicken breasts or boneless thighs ahead of time, and I can quickly heat one up and not have to fuss around. As long as I have some kind of meat for myself and plenty of salad, I am good.

I would say the main thing is to do what you can do ahead of time so you can keep it simple for yourself. You don't want to be chopping and prepping and cleaning up in the middle of a chaotic full house (at least I don't!).
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

I would make a really nice salad with lots of different veg (tossed with evoo/fresh lemon juice since you are doing a sit down dinner, and most people use commercial salad dressings so when they get a salad made with homemade dressing and actual veg, instead of just iceberg lettuce and cherry tomatoes, they love it), and then wild salmon with some kind of dill sauce and asparagus/mushrooms (I would either make the dill sauce creamy or the asparagus) . New potatoes would work well too but not if everyone is on induction. And, of course wine that goes well with fish.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bflogurl
I've done some of Linda Sue's casseroles with a giant salad for a group before. Worth taking a peek!
bflogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

And, the special factor also comes from presentation and plating -I've served beef stew before on white rectangular plates with garnishes and wild mushrooms on the side and it looked pretty good.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #13

My "Perfect Prime Rib" might fit the bill for ya- take a look!
It has 4.5 stars out of 34 reviews.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

I think I've found a poulet au vinegaire recipe that I can use - chicken thighs with shallots in red wine vinegar reduction. I think it would be nice with either artichokes or roasted veggies plus rice for the non-lc eaters.

Thank you so much for all the suggestions!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
It's not a gourmet crowd; they just want to be fed.
I've got gourmet crowd - foodie central. They always serve wonderful meals, and while I'm not looking to outdo anyone, I don't want to go too simple or make something "every day", b/c it's a special occasion.

Fortunately, it's a large group, but not huge. I don't need serious volume. Completely agree with you re: the chicken pieces and that's more or less what I'm doing - found a nice recipe for chicken thighs to make in the skillet.

OR, I might go to Costco and see if they have filet mignon - that's SO easy, but also "special" enough, kwim?

Last edited by Portia; 05-08-2013 at 10:31 AM..
Old 05-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
My "Perfect Prime Rib" might fit the bill for ya- take a look!
It has 4.5 stars out of 34 reviews.
Definitely going to consider that as well - thank you!!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #17

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Do you have an outdoor grill, Portia? Because yeah, steaks can be super easy if you can grill several at once. You could do something like a wild mushroom/red wine sauce on the stove (I like the wild mushroom idea, nolcjunk) and add that as you're plating.
Quote:
I think I've found a poulet au vinegaire recipe that I can use - chicken thighs with shallots in red wine vinegar reduction. I think it would be nice with either artichokes or roasted veggies plus rice for the non-lc eaters.
That sounds perfect. You could roast brussels sprouts with some fennel too, and that way you wouldn't have to be hovering over the stove while the veggies cook.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Do you have an outdoor grill, Portia? Because yeah, steaks can be super easy if you can grill several at once. You could do something like a wild mushroom/red wine sauce on the stove (I like the wild mushroom idea, nolcjunk) and add that as you're plating.

That sounds perfect. You could roast brussels sprouts with some fennel too, and that way you wouldn't have to be hovering over the stove while the veggies cook.
Yes!! Thanks so much!! And it's nice to see you back, Peanutte.

Last edited by Portia; 05-08-2013 at 01:45 PM..
Old 05-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #19
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Baked or grilled (baked is better, no smokey taste - could even go pre-cooked) smothered with pasta sauce and cheese.
Tomato based sauce: top with sliced pepperoni and mozzarella.
Alfredo type sauce: mix sauce with spinach and top it all with a little extra parm.
Big green salad on the side with pepperoncini peppers, green and black olives, cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, etc.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #20

Gallery: pocahontas
If you have a grill, you can put 2 "beer can style" chickens on, come back in an hour and 15 min and pure heaven! We rub ours down with a spice blend and put lemon halves and smashed garlic cloves in the beer. Barefoot Contessa also has a wonderful Lemon and Garlic roast chicken if you prefer to do in the oven. I serve this with a HUGE greek salad and either roasted potatoes or rice of some sort. Everyone always raves. It's my go to crowd pleaser.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: emmapal
I always roast 2 chickens, every time. I just put 2 in a glass casserole at the same time, same idea as roasting a casserole full of 6 cornish hens. Used to be one for dinner, one for leftovers, but now with 6 kids we do both for dinner, lol! Now I have to do 4, 2 casseroles with 2 birds each. I also roast turkeys a lot for dinner plus leftovers, but for guests I often do a smoked turkey on the grill because it is so easy but turkey makes people think special. For us it is pretty normal to have a week night turkey dinner, though. I always have frozen leftover turkey shreds in the freezer for quick meals.

Point is, roasting birds is just as easy to do 1 as it is to do 4 all at the same time, or one BIG one ;p
emmapal is offline   Reply With Quote