Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Menus
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
March 2013 Dinner Menus

I have been making these threads since June 2010 and as far as I know, all of the threads are still in this forum if you just go back far enough or search for them, you can find them.
Please share your weekly menus here, too, and post or ask for recipes related to your menus. We are no longer allowed to post links to recipes on outside websites, but if it's here on LCF, please link to it. You may also list the recipe title exactly and say it's from "such and such website", or "so and so's blog".

Here's what we were making last year at this time: March 2012 Weekly Dinner Menus
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

I am ready to unveil my 8-week rotating menu! Yes, I know, it's majorly geeky for me to be so excited about this. But I've attached the matrix. The patter is the same before based on protein each night of the week. Then I wrote down our favorite dishes in each protein category, in some cases there were more than 8, in others there were fewer. Then I grouped the recipes by cuisine theme (i.e. Asian, Tex-Mex, etc) and arranged them in the weeks so that we wouldn't be having the same flavors all week long. In some cases, I doubled or tripled up recipes in spot so that I can have some flexibility. Speaking of which, this isn't set in stone, but it's going to take a huge load off my weekly/biweekly chore list.
8weekmenu.png

I started doing this plan last week and actually started in week two of the matrix, so I'm moving into Week 3 now.

Last edited by Speck333; 03-02-2013 at 10:11 AM..
Old 03-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: lotus33
Stats: 220/214/130
WOE: smash up of a few
Start Date: 3-17-14
OMG I love it!!!!

I so need to do this!
lotus33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #4

Gallery: Passion68
Stats: 294/268.8/145 5'5"
WOE: 20 carbs/Lcal
Start Date: 01/02/2012
Speck, thank you for the welcome and this thread link in the February thread.

I'll poke around the freezer tomorrow and post then.
Passion68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:28 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Thank you Lotus and Passion.
I didn't have time earlier to actually post my weekly menu, so here goes:

Week of March 3-9
SUN: Whole Chicken and grilled asparagus (didn't defrost in time to have it today, so already deviating from "the plan" lol)
MON: White Chili (from Taste of Home online, I think it's called "creamy white chili" - will go light on the beans to save carbs)
TUE: FFY
WED: Salisbury steak (another taste of home recipe, in the crock pot) and salad
THU: Grilled steak and salad
FRI: baked tilapia and artichokes
SAT: Peppery roast beef (Taste of Home) and salad

Week of March 10-16
SUN: Carnitas (slow cooked from Taste of Home online) and avocado
MON: Parmesan crusted chicken (Best Foods mayo website) and green beans
TUE: FFY
WED: Slow cooked meatloaf and salad
THU: Spinach-Bacon Pinwheels (round or flank steak - from Better Homes and Gardens cookbook) with Asian stir fry veggies
FRI: Baked fish (depends on sales) and slaw
SAT: whole roast chicken and salad

SUNDAY is St. Patrick's Day and we'll have corned beef, cabbage and horseradish carrots (the carrots are my fave, also from Taste of Home)
Old 03-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
I am ready to unveil my 8-week rotating menu! Yes, I know, it's majorly geeky for me to be so excited about this. But I've attached the matrix. The patter is the same before based on protein each night of the week. Then I wrote down our favorite dishes in each protein category, in some cases there were more than 8, in others there were fewer. Then I grouped the recipes by cuisine theme (i.e. Asian, Tex-Mex, etc) and arranged them in the weeks so that we wouldn't be having the same flavors all week long. In some cases, I doubled or tripled up recipes in spot so that I can have some flexibility. Speaking of which, this isn't set in stone, but it's going to take a huge load off my weekly/biweekly chore list.
Attachment 48768

I started doing this plan last week and actually started in week two of the matrix, so I'm moving into Week 3 now.

Verrrry nice. I like the wild card category. Will incorporate into my monthly meal plan. Busy day today, so will post and link to write up on how my challenge is going. Only coming up 10-12 dollars a week under this year compared to 15-20 dollars the last two years. Our recipes and needs vary little over these last two years...maybe more fresh vegetables and fruits? But still, it shows that the prices of even just the basics of a nutritious food plan have gone up considerably.
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh yes. Prices are definetly up.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #8

Speck, I'll check out your matrix tomorrow, when I'm on a computer - my ipod screen is tiny for my middle aged eyes, lol!!

Mamasooze, what does it mean when you say you are only coming up 10-15 dollars a week under? Does it mean under your budget?

I'll post my menus the next time I go into the kitchen.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #9

This week (low carb menus):

Tonight: Grilled beer brats w/ a veggie
Mon: The White Castle pie I didn't make last night w/ caul on the side
Tues: Low carb pizza
Wed: Breakfast for supper
Thurs: Beef sausage in lettuce "buns"
Fri: Take out
Sat: IDK yet
Old 03-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion68 View Post
Speck, I'll check out your matrix tomorrow, when I'm on a computer - my ipod screen is tiny for my middle aged eyes, lol!!

Mamasooze, what does it mean when you say you are only coming up 10-15 dollars a week under? Does it mean under your budget?

Yes, I'm under the SNAP allowance. Every Lent we do what was used to be called Food Stamp Challenge. I am feeding the 2 1/2 of us (Me, DH and a part time toddler) on a Food Stamp budget of $260-$280 for the month (had to add the baby in when I realized how much she was eating ). With the imaginary money we have leftover we give to the Food Bank or another charity. But this year ain't lookin' so good. Food has gone way up this last last year. Halfway through this month I've spent about $127. Yikes.

A few years ago I was under about $120 over a 5 week period. This year I will be lucky to be under $50. We eat well, yes, but it's getting harder and harder. I guess that's why it's called a CHALLENGE

You can read about it on my blog Nourishing The Soul
Old 03-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

If you tap on the picture it gets bigger, then you can pinch and pull it to zoom in and out on your ipod. Click on it on the computer and you will also get a bigger version.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #12

mamasooze, how kind of you to pay it forward. And, LOL re: realizing how much DD was eating! I so agree regarding the increase in prices. I am self-employed, commission only, and on a very tight budget. Sometimes I will literally LOL at the food prices when shopping it's so ridiculous. I mean, I know prices have gone up for the food manufacturers, shipping, etc., but sheesh! But, we still eat very well and I am grateful.

Speck, thank you. Checking out your matrix now.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cookwithme65
Stats: 195/160/150
WOE: Low Carb - Atkins
Start Date: Process started in 2011, restart nov 2013
Quote:
Attachment 48768

Loving this chart Speck. I am starting back to low carbing again. Got to get my pantry ready. Scale read 165 this am so I need to get a move on this now! Back to gobble up all your great ideas. Thanks in advance.
cookwithme65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cookwithme65
Stats: 195/160/150
WOE: Low Carb - Atkins
Start Date: Process started in 2011, restart nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasooze View Post
Yes, I'm under the SNAP allowance. Every Lent we do what was used to be called Food Stamp Challenge. I am feeding the 2 1/2 of us (Me, DH and a part time toddler) on a Food Stamp budget of $260-$280 for the month (had to add the baby in when I realized how much she was eating ). With the imaginary money we have leftover we give to the Food Bank or another charity. But this year ain't lookin' so good. Food has gone way up this last last year. Halfway through this month I've spent about $127. Yikes.

A few years ago I was under about $120 over a 5 week period. This year I will be lucky to be under $50. We eat well, yes, but it's getting harder and harder. I guess that's why it's called a CHALLENGE

You can read about it on my blog Nourishing The Soul
Just checked out your blog. I will be a follower. I am on a very tight budget so these recipes will help. Thankyou.
cookwithme65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:19 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
mamasooze, how kind of you to pay it forward. And, LOL re: realizing how much DD was eating! I so agree regarding the increase in prices. I am self-employed, commission only, and on a very tight budget. Sometimes I will literally LOL at the food prices when shopping it's so ridiculous. I mean, I know prices have gone up for the food manufacturers, shipping, etc., but sheesh! But, we still eat very well and I am grateful.

Speck, thank you. Checking out your matrix now.
We do this every year. Sometimes I go off on a tangent and do an Italian or a TexMex challenge--$65 a week. One year DH and I did a "$50 for 2 weeks" challenge. Won't do that again Our pants got baggy and we snapped at each other. I thought our protein/calorie ratio was good, not great, but I think we were sick of chicken and I made veggie beef soup in what seemed like a bottomless pot. I wouldn't touch soup or chicken for almost 6 months after that. That was the challenge that really changed our attitude about hunger-- true hunger is very real.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:24 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookwithme65 View Post
Just checked out your blog. I will be a follower. I am on a very tight budget so these recipes will help. Thankyou.
I'm on Pinterest too with Budget Meals and Ideas. Look for Soozer47. They are not all paleo/low carb as I do that board for a broad range of eating. On my board Foods We Love is about 90% low carb or easily adaptable to LC.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #17

mamasooze, today's blog picture looks delish! I am going to make it in a few weeks (after my next monthly grocery trip) and use Oopsie rolls in lieu of tortillas.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
mamasooze, today's blog picture looks delish! I am going to make it in a few weeks (after my next monthly grocery trip) and use Oopsie rolls in lieu of tortillas.
My same thought on the Oopsies. Or even the coconut flour tortillas.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #19

mamasooze, from your December blog, I made the bacon and cheese frittata last night. Absolutely delish!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

I tried to find you on pinterest and couldn't. What is the name of the board?
Old 03-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus33 View Post
I tried to find you on pinterest and couldn't. What is the name of the board?
soozer47
Old 03-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

SNAP Challege updated. I'm under budget, barely hanging on. Got disgusted this week looking for a decent juice for Miss Thang, the 3YO. It's all crap-sugar water flavored with 10% fruit juice concentrate from God know where. Even trusted company brands. Ended up buying a mix organic and regular apples, putting those bad boys in the Vitamix and letting her rip.Mixed with another juice, but next week I'm going full juice on her. No more crap. That stuff wasn't fit for any age to drink Cascadian Farms makes an frozen organic juice concentrate. Need to find some of that. She drinks a lot of water too so not looking at lots of juice, even though she loved that fresh apple stuff

Menu this week…starting over from first week with exception of corned beef for St. Paddys Day next week

Monday- oven fried catfish poboys, oven-fried green tomatoes, salad
Tuesday- bacon wrapped chicken thighs, zucchini, Greek salad
Wednesday- broccoli/pasta Alfredo, green salad
Thursday- balsamic glazed chicken breast, leftover Alfredo
Friday- shrimp veggie stir fry with angel hair pasta
Saturday- maple glazed pork ribs, slow cooked mixed greens
Sunday- corned beef, colcannon (cabbage and rutabagas)
Old 03-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #23

Mamasooze, sorry about the juice frustration.

This week's menu:
Tonight was low carb pizza, w/ berries & cream on the side
Mon: Something w/ ground beef
Tues: Sausage wrapped in lettuce (we didn't have these last Thurs b/c I made the frittat )
Wed: Breakfast for supper
Thurs: IDK yet
Fri: Take out
Sat: Corned beef & cabbage (we'll be out Sunday)
Old 03-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

mamasooze~juicy juice is 100% juice. It also comes in juice boxes, which is more expensive but if she is not there all the time it may be better for preserving and not having a bottle of juice go bad. I buy this for lunch boxes and my kids like it. About $4 for a pack though, but you get what you pay for.
Fruitables - Apple & Eve | Apple & Eve
Old 03-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Another busy week and DH is gone all week for business so just me and the girls. Made a huge pot of chicken noodle soup tonight that will last probably days! Kids are sick though so they wanted it. Other than that just going to be an easy week, salads, soup, that kind of thing.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:40 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus33 View Post
mamasooze~juicy juice is 100% juice. It also comes in juice boxes, which is more expensive but if she is not there all the time it may be better for preserving and not having a bottle of juice go bad. I buy this for lunch boxes and my kids like it. About $4 for a pack though, but you get what you pay for.
Fruitables - Apple & Eve | Apple & Eve
Looked up several of the Juicy Juices and they are not much better than the others being graded "C" with a few "B's"- I used the Fooducate App. It is juice from concentrate, and some have added flavor or color. Up to 4 teaspoons added sugar in some, others have natural sugars. The Apple & Eve are better so may pick up next time at Costco. Now that she has had the fresh juiced apples, she may never go back. She loves the stuff. I picked up some Honeycrisp by mistake in the produce section- thought they were in the $1.27/lb bin, got home and realized they were $3.89/lb. Lenten Challenge. Epic. Fail. Yes, you get what you pay for- that juice is costing me a fortune
Old 03-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

What about the frozen concentrate that you add your own water to?
Old 03-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MinnieSkinnie
Stats: 242/220/164 for starters
WOE: South Beach Diet
Start Date: 4/15/13
Quote:
I am ready to unveil my 8-week rotating menu! .
You had me at Caramel. Apple. Pork. Chops.

recipe????
MinnieSkinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:28 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
What about the frozen concentrate that you add your own water to?
Cascadian makes a no sugar added organic concentrate but I plug in my zip on website and it shows no stores around here selling it. Going into The Big Bad City tomorrow and will swing by Whole Paycheck and see what they have.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieSkinnie View Post
You had me at Caramel. Apple. Pork. Chops.

recipe????
Uh, yeah. Pork chops on sale around here for $1.99