Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Menus (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-menus/)
-   -   February 2013 (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-menus/796030-february-2013-a.html)

Speck333 02-01-2013 08:30 PM

February 2013

Each week I pick out 6 things to make for dinner (one night is what we call FFY, or fend for yourself, night). This weekly menu becomes the base for the shopping list. Shopping is now on Tuesdays, so that's the start of my "menu week".
I start these menu threads every month so I have a record of what I fixed and to share to help others perform this sometimes tedious task. I have been doing this since June 2010 and as far as I know, all of the threads are still in this forum if you just go back far enough or search for them, you can find them.
Please share your weekly menus here, too, and post or ask for recipes related to your menus. We are no longer allowed to post links to recipes on outside websites, but if it's here on LCF, please link to it. You may also list the recipe title exactly and say it's from "such and such website", or "so and so's blog".

Here's what we were making last year at this time: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ner-menus.html
~~~~~
Feb. 1-Feb. 4
FRI: Salmon with lemon pepper and dill sauce/Asian mixed vegetables
SAT: Peppery Roast Beef*/Artichokes or salad
SUN: Dr. Pepper Pulled pork (didn't get to make this before) [Crockin' Girls]
MON: Busy Mom's Chicken Fajitas* (crock pot)

Feb. 5-11
TUE: FFY
WED: Chili (crock pot)
THU: Grilled Steak/Salad
FRI: Shrimp scampi/salad
SAT: Ham steak/green beans
SUN: Creole Pork Chops*/salad
MON: Baked Indian Chicken*

*Taste of Home recipes; can be found on their website

~I alter all recipes to be low carb and sugar free~

lotus33 02-03-2013 04:37 PM

M~ grilled burgers, grilled potato, grilled cauliflower-going to brave the cold!
T~ cabbage roll casserole
W~meatloaf, cauliflower cheese casserole, green beans
TH~ Tortilla soup
F~steak, leftover sides
S~?
S~?

No idea about the weekend! Will have people in and out of the house, putting on a bridal shower so lots of cooking for that may just have to order food to actually eat though!

Speck333 02-04-2013 06:48 PM

Haha. Have fun with that!

mamasooze 02-06-2013 07:49 AM

Still working my pantry challenge. The freezer is officially 100% turned over when we eat some frozen salmon I got at Whole Foods last summer. I have begun restocking it with proteins found on sale during weeks leading up to Super Bowl as well as tons of chicken stock. Will take advantage of Valentines next week- usually beef and of course Lenten fare: catfish, shrimp, snapper, talapia, etc. I need to double down on some meatless fare. Wow- my new find is rutabagas. Made into hash browns and it is virtually same taste and texture as potatoes. Will be checking more ways to use this buttery little gem :) Cooking for a shut in friend- chick noodle soup (all that stock), beef tips with brown rice, spinach/ricotta lasagna roll ups (using Dreamfields), baked chicken and green beans, lentil soup. He's a type 1 diabetic (insulin) and I will be bringing fresh fruit, veg, and salad. Heading to the veg farm and may get inspired. And oh, yeah, how's come nobody every told me how good beet greens are....:p I love them. Oh, and my pantry is down about 1/3. It's manageable, but starting Lenten challenge in a week and need to get butt in gear. I will have 2 three-week menus and repeat at end of three weeks. Just making a tad bit easier.

Speck333 02-07-2013 09:10 PM

Way to go mamasooze!

mamasooze 02-14-2013 04:07 AM

Starting my SNAP Lenten Challenge next Monday. We will go through Good Friday. I am going to spend $60-65 a week for 2 1/2 people. My 1/2 person is our part-time toddler grand daughter. I'm including her as she does impact my budget--this is a no cookie zone so I keep her in organic juice, milk and fresh fruit for snacks.

Some things on the menus aren't particularly primal/paleo but it is mostly lower carb. For things like po boys, that's what my DH gets. I get a catfish fillet over a salad. Same with the fajitas. For the enchiladas I may try making the "paleo crepes" in place of tortillas. My husband likes lentil chili but I put in more veggies (zucchini, mushrooms, etc) than lentils. I will be using either goat cheese or making my own cheese when needed. A gallon of milk around here is still about $3 and that makes a pound or so of cheese. When the three week menu is over....we will start it all over again.

More on the Challenge HERE

Monday- oven fried talapia, cole slaw
Tuesday- bacon wrapped chicken tenders, sweet tater fries, Greek salad
Wednesday- eggplant parmagiana stacks, salad
Thursday- maple glazed chicken breast, roasted broccoli
Friday- shrimp cajun pasta, avocado fries
Saturday- ribs, chopped salad or slaw
Sunday-steak, sauteed spinach, baked rutabaga "fries "

Monday- lentil chili, salad
Tuesday-turkey/ricotta meatballs, spaghetti
Wednesday-talapia, stuffed zucchini boats
Thursday- whole baked chicken, baked sweet potato , green beans
Friday-fried catfish poboys, cole slaw or oven fried green tomatoes
Saturday- chicken noodle soup
Sunday- ribeyes or skirt steak for fajitas with onions, bell pepper

Monday- cheese enchiladas, refrained black beans, salad
Tuesday- navy bean soup with ham
Wednesday-spinach frittata
Thursday- crock pot ribs, wilted greens
Friday- shrimp/ fish tacos
Saturday- turkey meatloaf, mashed cauliflower, steamed broccoli
Sunday- pork and hominy stew

lotus33 02-15-2013 08:27 AM

Hmm, interesting. We get around 135 per person in my state.

What a great idea about making a rotating meal plan! I may have to ponder on that a bit longer!

Our week this week was so nuts I am winging it all week because I don't know if I am coming or going! :hyst:

Next week...back at it!

Speck333 02-15-2013 06:38 PM

Good luck mamasooze.

I have a menu for this week but I've been so busy with work I keep forgetting to post it here! I'm on my phone now so hope to be back this weekend

Speck333 02-15-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lotus33 (Post 16260811)
Hmm, interesting. We get around 135 per person in my state.

What a great idea about making a rotating meal plan! I may have to ponder on that a bit longer!

Our week this week was so nuts I am winging it all week because I don't know if I am coming or going! :hyst:

Next week...back at it!

I know right!? Would made everything soooo much simpler!

Speck333 02-17-2013 02:12 PM

Feb. 12-23

So, I've been so incredibly busy and then just plain forgetful, I haven't posted my menu. Here's what I've had/got right now starting with Tues., Feb. 12 ...

WED: Linda's spinach lasagna
THU: Steak and salad
FRI: Red snapper with garlic, lemon juice, worchestershire... and green beans
SAT: homemade pizza (check out Maria's latest pizza crust, I recommend it)
SUN: caramel apple pork chops (Taste of Home/altered to be nearly sugar free, I do use a touch of black strap molasses)
MON: artichoke chicken bake (with added spinach) also from Taste of Home

WED: White Castle pie (Linda)
THU: Grilled steak and salad
FRI: fish of some kind, probably tilapia and Asian stir fry veggies
SAT: I have a party to go to, so I probably won't be cooking dinner. Probably just another fend for yourself night.

and that's all I've got right now. :)

I'm thinking about starting a 4 (or more) week rotating menu. I've got a weekly plan down... my husband finally caught on to what I've doing for the last few months :hyst: and in case you haven't noticed...
Mon= chicken, Tue= ffy, Wed = ground beef, Thu = steak or out, Fri = fish or seafood, Sat = kind of a wild card night: experiment/pizza/meatless/roast/whole chicken/ham, Sun= pork
And there you go! So, I've got this basic plan already in place every single week, and I just have to plug in a recipe. I think I've got at least four recipes in each meat type to have a monthly rotation.

lotus33 02-18-2013 08:47 AM

:hyst: You must be married to a brilliant man!!! :love:

mine would NEVER ever have figured that out!!! :hyst:

Yes, I want to work on this too! Fabulous idea!! Maybe Tues night. I have class tonight and busy the rest of today.

Speck333 02-18-2013 02:23 PM

Hahahaha! And now if he could only figure out how that you actually have to put detergent in the dishwasher and turn it on for it to work. Lol

mamasooze 02-22-2013 11:54 AM

Wowzer. Took a stroll through Costco last weekend I was blown away by the prices. Especially the meat. Was on the lookout to score some cheap non-Chinese talapia and was shocked even the 3 lb frozen bag was something like $16 plus and catfish the same. The other meats in the case were pretty high. I ended up with ground turkey so I will need to tweak the menus. Got good deals on coffee, asparagus, tortillas, low sodium bacon and a few other things but felt like I was pretty much empty-handed when I left. Will only have beef this one week- steak I got on sale before Super Bowl. So next 4 weeks or so will only have the one little lonely skirt steak to go into a fajita for hubby.

Ended up getting catfish nuggets and Swai (a fish) at Kroger. Those both were on sale for $2.99 lb. So I read up on Swai and was surprised that it a Vietnam fish farmed here in the states and it is not endangered. It's a mild white fish and truth be told, it is used at most fast food places for fish n chips, nuggets, etc. it is also sold at Whole Foods and is sometimes labeled as Basa. My go to cheapie fish has always been catfish, so plentiful in south, so decided to give this stuff a go. It's supposed to be easy to grill also. Google and you will see positive stuff- there are a few "Ewww I wouldn't touch that" -- but Ill give it a go. I'm so adventurous :D
Here is a revised 3-week (rotating) SNAP challenge menu:
Monday- oven fried catfish, cole slaw
Tuesday- bacon wrapped chicken thighs, asparagus, Greek salad
Wednesday- eggplant stacks, grilled asparagus
Thursday- maple glazed chicken breast, leftover eggplant
Friday- shrimp veggie stir fry with noodles
Saturday- pork ribs, slow cooked greens
Sunday-steak, zucchini/quinoa fritters, asparagus

Monday- lentil chili, salad
Tuesday-baked turkey/ricotta meatballs, rotini
Wednesday-baked swai provencal, stuffed zucchini boats
Thursday- whole baked chicken, baked sweet potato , green beans
Friday-oven-fried catfish poboys with oven-fried green tomatoes
Saturday- chicken noodle soup
Sunday- skirt steak for fajitas with onions, bell pepper

Monday- cheese enchiladas, refried black beans, salad
Tuesday- navy bean soup with ham (hubby's fave and limit myself to cup- will have large salad)
Wednesday-asparagus/spinach frittata
Thursday- crock pot ribs, slow cooked greens
Friday- shrimp/ fish tacos
Saturday- turkey meatloaf, mashed cauliflower, steamed broccoli
Sunday- pork and hominy stew

Speck333 02-23-2013 10:55 AM

Mamasooze, I know what you mean. I just about died when I checked out of Costco last. Inflation is finally starting to settle in, and the economic consequences of the politics are really going to hit us all upside the head.
Anyway, we've had swai, it is so inexpensive, that when it showed up in the store, we gave it a try. It tastes a lot like catfish, kind of "muddy", which is a flavor my husband and I don't care for. My son (age 7) LOVES fish. We have fish every week because he loves all kinds of fish, and he likes the swai a lot.

SO! I have just about got an 8 WEEK rotating menu finished!:jumpjoy: I am a total nerd at all things, and the thought of setting this task to "autopilot" is so enthralling. :laugh: Now, minus holidays and things where the menu might change, this means my family will only be having each dish 6 times per year. How cool is that? I will be unveiling this rotating menu with the March thread. I'm so excited! :p

Speck333 02-23-2013 11:03 AM

OK, I've got the rest of the month sorted out.

SUN: baked pork chops/salad or Asian stir fry veggies
MON: modified Texas Ranch Chicken Casserole (Taste of Home)/salad
WED: Spaghetti Squash Casserole (Taste of Home)
THU: Slow Cooked Swiss Steak (Taste of Home)

I probably won't have time to put up the March thread until next Saturday, so be patient :D

lotus33 02-23-2013 02:18 PM

Mama~are you actually shopping for all that at once as well?

Have you tried the crock pot ribs your doing before? I am curious how those are going to turn out!

Speck! :notwrthy: WHoa!

Uh...I still have not even started a list! :(

Speck333 02-23-2013 07:35 PM

That's alright lotus. I've lost the flylady thread again btw :(

lotus33 02-23-2013 07:50 PM

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/be...r-bedroom.html

:) Its always in the Playground. Better head on over I was particularly productive today....wouldn't want you to miss that! :rofl::p:hyst:

mamasooze 02-24-2013 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lotus33 (Post 16276606)
Mama~are you actually shopping for all that at once as well?

Have you tried the crock pot ribs your doing before? I am curious how those are going to turn out!

Speck! :notwrthy: WHoa!

Uh...I still have not even started a list! :(

No, don't shop all at once. I break it down and do one grocery shop per week-Monday morning. Usually have to replenish avocado/banana/apple stock on Thursday :laugh: I also go to a local produce farm for veggies and such, usually every other Friday. But I make a list and stick to it. I only buy what I need. I allow one impulse "buy o' the week" like a big bag of New Mexico chiles for $2.

Ribs turned out good. They were the baby backs. I pressure cooked for 15 minutes, then added greens and slow cooked for 3.5 hours. Only problem was that they had no color so I plopped them in a skillet with a bit o' bacon grease and they browned up nicely.

lotus33 02-24-2013 07:05 AM

Whoa watch out....your out of control! Chilis are your impulse! :hyst: Don't come shopping with me!!!! :hyst:

Glad to hear you break it down....a shopping trip for a month was stressing me out! :lol:

That makes sense on the ribs! And only cooking 3.5 hrs they probably kept their shape. i was just thinking they would all be falling off the bone!

I usually bake mine in a roasting pan full of apple juice and then sauce them up and grill or broil.

mamasooze 02-24-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lotus33 (Post 16277450)
Whoa watch out....your out of control! Chilis are your impulse! :hyst: Don't come shopping with me!!!! :hyst:

Glad to hear you break it down....a shopping trip for a month was stressing me out! :lol:

That makes sense on the ribs! And only cooking 3.5 hrs they probably kept their shape. i was just thinking they would all be falling off the bone!

I usually bake mine in a roasting pan full of apple juice and then sauce them up and grill or broil.

Tried the once a month thang a few years ago and it almost worked. I was 3 weeks in and my daughter had a baby, so I had to bail. It almost worked.

Yes, I'm very impulse-driven. Last week I got a big ol' bag o' hazz brown potatoes for....you guessed it! $2!!!! :jumpjoy:

Passion68 02-25-2013 07:41 PM

Neat thread!

Here's our week (low carb menu):
Tonight was taco salads
Tues: Pork rind crusted chicken nuggets, broc
Wed: Hot dogs and andouille sausage wrapped in iceberg "buns", mashed caul
Thurs: Leftovers
Fri: DH buys take out, and it IS possible to stay on plan.:)
Sat: Ground beef-maybe Linda's White Castle Pie (DH LOVES it!)
Sun: Grilled something on the BBQ

Speck333 03-01-2013 06:36 PM

Passion, welcome to the thread. I will be posting March thread this weekend. Feel free to come play with us again!

Speck333 03-02-2013 09:58 AM

March thread is up http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ner-menus.html