Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Menus (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-menus/)
-   -   Ideas for Fish Based Dinners? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-menus/790775-ideas-fish-based-dinners.html)

Amber_Baby 12-06-2012 04:57 AM

Ideas for Fish Based Dinners?

Hi all

I love seafood - scallops, prawns, calamari etc... but I rarely eat fish, other than salmon which I also love.

I'd like to try adding more fish to my diet, any ideas would be most welcome.

dansamy 12-06-2012 05:37 AM

My kiddos love whiting fillets and tilapia fillets.

snowdancer79 12-06-2012 05:39 AM

If you can find low carb tortillas, I absolutely love fish tacos with mango, cilantro, and red onion relish

pink princess 12-06-2012 05:54 AM

I am having fish pie tonight, smoked haddock, a piece of cod and a handful of prwans. Make a low carb cheese sauce and top with mashed cauli and cheese.

All the family like this :)

Amber_Baby 12-06-2012 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pink princess (Post 16120502)
I am having fish pie tonight, smoked haddock, a piece of cod and a handful of prwans. Make a low carb cheese sauce and top with mashed cauli and cheese.

All the family like this :)

Ooh sounds delish, defo one for the menu. Thanks. :)

wkupharm 12-07-2012 08:17 AM

Don't know if Catfish is available across the pond, but they are my favorite. More of a "meaty" textured fish, and oh so tasty fried, blackened or oven-fried. I eat it at least 2-3x a week. The cafeteria ladies, at the hospital (where I work)--call me 'fish man.'

Amber_Baby 12-10-2012 01:44 PM

A quick google tells me that catfish also goes by the name river cobbler (in the UK at least!) and I definitely saw some the last time I was at the supermarket so I will pick some up. Thanks for the tip. :) You also reminded me of monkfish... I know it is very pricey but it would be nice to get some for a treat!

MaryMary 12-15-2012 08:51 PM

Tilapia and haddock, swordfish, scallops (big ones)

metqa 12-15-2012 09:11 PM

Tilapia topped with ranch dressing and parmesan and baked.

Tilapia filet sprinkled with Hidden Valley Spicy Ranch Dressing mix, 1/4 teaspoon only, and dry baked till good.

Tilapia, or any fish filet, sprinkled with blackening seasoning and pan fried with butter on both sides till crispy

Shrimp- Saute some garlic in butter, then add cracked black pepper, the juice of a lemon and sea salt, then sautee the shrimp in the butter till done.

Serve Scallops with a lemon cream sauce over zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash.

A can of Roasted Tomatoes with garlic in a pot with some salt to taste, cracked black pepper, and white fish cut into chunks and a little hot sauce, simmered till the fish is cooked. Yummy.

Catfish dipped in thinned mayo and dredged in powdered pork rinds/parmesan then fried or baked till done and crispy coated.

Tuna Sashimi with shreded daikon radish and carrots , with a bowl of miso soup, and some salted dried laver.

Amber_Baby 12-21-2012 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metqa (Post 16138494)
Tilapia topped with ranch dressing and parmesan and baked.

Tilapia filet sprinkled with Hidden Valley Spicy Ranch Dressing mix, 1/4 teaspoon only, and dry baked till good.

Tilapia, or any fish filet, sprinkled with blackening seasoning and pan fried with butter on both sides till crispy

Shrimp- Saute some garlic in butter, then add cracked black pepper, the juice of a lemon and sea salt, then sautee the shrimp in the butter till done.

Serve Scallops with a lemon cream sauce over zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash.

A can of Roasted Tomatoes with garlic in a pot with some salt to taste, cracked black pepper, and white fish cut into chunks and a little hot sauce, simmered till the fish is cooked. Yummy.

Catfish dipped in thinned mayo and dredged in powdered pork rinds/parmesan then fried or baked till done and crispy coated.

Tuna Sashimi with shreded daikon radish and carrots , with a bowl of miso soup, and some salted dried laver.

Wow, some of these ideas are seriously making my mouth water - scallops in lemon cream sauce and the catfish sound beautiful!! I don't think I can get hold of tilapia in the UK sadly.

metqa 12-24-2012 12:04 PM

Tilapia is just a handy bland fish. Any white flesh fish would work, maybe cod or mahi...

mamasooze 12-25-2012 05:11 PM

I'm a shrimp and crawfish girl....used Dreamfields for a crawfish pasta dish on Christmas Eve. Made a sauce with chopped veggies, butter, heavy whipping cream, garlic and fresh Parmesan. A little seasonings, some hot sauce, fish sauce and you have a fab (low carb if you believe Dreamfields) fish dish. If using Dreamfields just remember to re-think baking time- I boil all pasta about 6-8 minutes and then drain and never bake in dish more than 30 minutes. Also, when reheating, never re-cook more than a few minutes in micro wave.

cfine 01-22-2013 03:36 PM

Mahi Mahi is one of my favorite types of fish. It's very meaty, almost like chicken. Trout and salmon are on the top of my list also.

metqa 01-22-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfine (Post 16212957)
Mahi Mahi is one of my favorite types of fish. It's very meaty, almost like chicken. Trout and salmon are on the top of my list also.

Hmm, I saw Mahi Mahi on sale today but didn't buy any cause I didn't know it's qualities. I might try it if it's still on sale.

cfine 01-23-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Hmm, I saw Mahi Mahi on sale today but didn't buy any cause I didn't know it's qualities. I might try it if it's still on sale.
You won't be sorry. I fry mine in a bit of oil, salt, pepper, and dill.