Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Menus
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: marymc
Flintchick Beth’s Shrimp Cocktail

Another way for shrimp cocktail is to mix together some sugar free low carb catsup (about 1/2 cup) with a spoon of horseraddish, a squirt of lemon juice, a splash of worcestershire sauce and a splash of hot sauce. I use the
Heinz 1 carb catsup. It's really good!
marymc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mischief1 Connie’s Tuna Salad

I like tuna salad made my family's way. Make a green salad with all those good things like lettuce, celery, cucumber and radish. Drain well your water packed tuna and flake it into the salad. Mix. Make a dressing of mayo, some vinegar to cut it and a little splash of half-n-half. (For those that are not aware of it, skim, nonfat, and whole milk has a lot more carbs than half-n-half which only has 1 carb per 2 tablespoons.) You can put in a little garlic powder or onion powder if you want to add those flavorings. Use this on your salad. M-m-m-m-m good!
Old 09-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mischief1 Connie’s Broccoli and Asparagas

Try a beef and broccoli stir-fry or a chicken and broccoli stir-fry' then there is the same only using asparagus instead. Want more crunch, add some celery. I also used some stir-fry seasoning I got at the store. Watch the carb count on these cause they vary greatly in the different brands. The one I bought has 3 carbs for 2 teaspoons. I used about 3 teaspoon for 2 of us, and counted it as 2 carbs.

Add fajita seasoning - same idea - count the carbs.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mischief1 Connie’s Grilled Chili Chicken

I grilled chicken breasts one night on the GForeman grill. To mine, I mixed chili powder and parmesan cheese (the kind in the green can), rinsed the breast and throughly dunked it in the chili/cheese mixture prior to grilling. I liked it but will use a little less chili next time - was a little spicy for my taste.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:38 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quandria’s Oatmeal Shake

Instead of adding protein powder to your oatmeal, you can add oatmeal to your protein shake. I just use half a cup of raw old fashioned oats, I used to grind the oats up a bit in the blender jar first but now I just use them as they are. You can also add already-cooked oatmeal if you fear bloating (the raw doesn't bloat me up, but I'm sure some people would have that reaction). It's a really fast meal when you're late for work! You have to drink it fairly fast though, or the oatmeal all settles to the bottom.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:39 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dancinchef’s Crepe Suggestion

1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/2 oatmeal (uncooked)
Splenda
4 egg whites

Put all the ingredients in a blender, blend until smooth. Pour into a skillet sprayed with cooking spray. Makes one big pancakey crepe.

NOTE: Warning this recipe has not been tested in the dancinchef test kitchen.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:39 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jlshields Jeanne’s Shake Suggestions

Here are a couple of ideas that I really like.

I put one cup of cold coffee and one scoop of protein powder and 2 TBS of Walden Farms choc syrup in blender container. Add about 10 ice cubes and blend. It comes out nice a thick and frothy. I even add a tsp of instant espresso coffee powder - can you tell I really coffee!

Another one is to take some crystal light orange, make it according to directions. Put 8 oz in blender container with vanilla protein powder and about 10 ice cubes. Blend. Tastes like orange creamsicle.

You can probably do this with just about any flavor of crystal light.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:40 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OnceNforall Sherrie’s Tuna Salad

Tried something different tonight and it was delicious! I'm on week 1, day 3.

Took a hard boiled egg and 3oz tuna and mixed it all up with about a Tbsp of mayo. Added some ground pepper and some of Emeril's Original Essence Seasoning (found it at Sam's Club...no carbs, no sugar). Was gonna put in some diced celery, but decided to spread it on celery stalks instead (I need the fiber) and it was VERY filling!! Had a cup of steamed broccoli with it and very satisfied. It would make a tasty snack too.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Melle's Low Carb Cheatos Cheese Puffs

Posted by Jacci

3 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
A pinch of salt
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (frozen)

How To Prepare: Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Put the frozen cheese in a food processor/blender and chop, until it's in tiny little pieces.

In a mixing bowl, blend the first three ingredients, at high speed, until whites form stiff peaks. Sprinkle the chopped cheese, on top of the egg whites. Then, with a teaspoon or a rubber spatula, fold the cheese into the egg whites, VERY CAREFULLY, being careful not to disturb the fluffy whites, but thoroughly spread the cheese, throughout.

Then, using the handle of a teaspoon not the spoon part), dip tiny little clouds of the mixture, and place on a cookie sheet. It helps to have two spoons...one to scrape the mixture off of the dipping spoon. I would suggest using a sheet of parchment baking paper, to line your pan, but if you don't...spray the pan, very well.

Lightly spray the tops of the puffs, with butter flavored cooking spray. Lightly sprinkle grated parmesan cheese, on top of each puff. Then, put another coat of buttery spray, on top of that.

Bake at 300 degrees, for 30 to 45 minutes. The longer you can bake them (without them getting too brown), the crispier they will be. For even crispier puffs, turn off the oven, and leave them in the oven for at least 30-minutes.

Store in a tightly sealed, air-tight container.

0.9g Carbs 24.3g Protein 270 Calories
Old 09-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

AcademicEngineer’s Another Cottage Cheese Idea

I found this in another cookbook that I have but it fits in to this program and makes for a little more variety with the cottage cheese.

1 C. cottage cheese; water drained through cheese cloth or good paper towel
1 C. chopped no/low carb veggies (celery, broccoli, cucumber, spinach, mushrooms, etc.)
Salt/Pepper/Seasoning that you like
Splash of Apple Cider Vinegar (if desired)
1 tsp EVOO (I've also used 1 T. ground flax instead)

Mix together in a small food chopper/processor/blender.

Makes 2 servings (you can scale this recipe up or down easily)

Use as a filling for a lettuce wrap, spread on EZ bread, use as a dip for veggies.

I have made this a few times and the consistency hasn't been exactly the same each time even though I think I use the same amounts of everything each time. I think sometimes my cucmumbers must be watery than other times.

Anyway....I usually have cottage cheese with the cinnamon flavored Splenda but this was a nice diversion for me when I was planning the cottage cheese snack and didn't want to have a sweet snack.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Flintchick Beth’s Oatmeal Cottage Cheese Pancakes

Makes 1 serving

1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1 tsp vanilla
4 egg whites or 2 whole eggs
5 pkts splenda (optional)

Mix all ingredients in blender and cook as you would any pancakes.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:43 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Libster’s Chocolate Protein Shake

I went to GNC and a terrific gal, suggested Gold Standard.
I got choc and van. Great stuff. My favorite is:

1 scoop pdr
6-8 oz strong coffee(cooled)
1T Hvy crm
1T walden farm SF chocolate sauce
Blend. Add 4-5 ice cubes. Blend

Beats a frosty any day!
libby
Old 09-14-2008, 06:43 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sandra’s Sauteed Baby Mushrooms

Ingredients:

1/2 pack baby bella mushrooms (~ 1 1/2 cups)
1/3 cup vinegar
olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp basil
dash salt
dash pepper
dash garlic powder

Soak the mushrooms in the vinegar for 10 minutes. Coat a saute pan with the olive oil, warm it and saute the garlic. Add in the mushrooms, basil, salt, pepper and garlic powder and saute until hot.

Servings: 2
Net Carbs Per Serving: 2.4g
Old 09-14-2008, 06:44 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sandra’s Tuna Patties

Also- I tried this for lunch today—

*One packet of tuna- packed in water
*1/2 teaspoon onion (I know but I need a hint)
*parsley
*Mrs. Dash Tomato and Garlic Herb
*1 tbs of egg beaters

I patted them out in to small patties and cooked them in a pan on eat side until they with brown!! Very good and a change for what I've been eating all week. Had that with my usual salad.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:44 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Libster’s Sauteed Shrimp

Sautee shrimp in hot oil/butter. take off heat, sprinkle lightly w/ garlic powder. Add fresh squeeze of lemon and cilantro to taste. 7 shrimp-one serving. Serve w/side of broccoli
Old 09-14-2008, 06:45 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Libster’s Sauteed Chicken Breast w/Mushroom Sauce

Rub breast w/oil, ltly. salt and pepper. Sautee in hot/oil butter til gold; lower heat to cook. In small pan sautee mushrooms in butter/oil. Take off heat, cool slightly - add sour cream* (or heavy cream). Cook on low for a minute or two. Veg:salad

*Sour cream has roughly the same carbs as heavy cream but fewer calories. Sour cream much better in this recipe. I used to add white wine to the sauce, but no more!

Pour sauce over chicken.
Not bad for a diet, eh?
For one weekers only, due to fat content.

(NOTE: Can reduce butter or use butter flavored cooking spray and FF or LF products to reduce fat)
Old 09-14-2008, 06:46 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Debbie in VA’s Egg Ideas

Southwestern Omelet

Cook mushrooms for 1-2 minutes, beat eggs (1 + 3) and pour over mushrooms, and move mushrooms to one side of pan. layer spinach, salsa and cottage cheese over mushrooms. when eggs are cooked to desired doneness, fold the egg only side over the other half and sprinkle with cheese.

Another Omelet

Made an omelet with turkey bacon cut up in it, green onion, red pepper, and sprinkle of cheddar. YUMMY!!!

Spinach-Feta Omelet

5-6 egg whites
2 C. spinach- wilted
fold in 1/4 C. (feta or 3 tbs.)

For base line day breakfast I add 5-6 oz. pre cooked potato with garlic and herb seasoning OR 1/2 C. rice- and exchange feta for a little American cheese. Or easier- 2 slices Ezekiel (EZ) toasted. YUM

Microwaveable Egg/Burger

Spray a microwaveable bowl with Pam, beat an egg and three whites in the bowl, add ground turkey already cooked and cook for one minute, then stir it up, sprinkle cheese on top and cook for another minute, it tastes great and you only dirty one dish!
Old 09-14-2008, 06:47 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mischief1 Connie’s Ground Beef, Chiles,and Cheese w/Green Beans

Cook 1/2 lean ground beef with some small dice onion. Put 1/2 in the bottom of a baking pan. Top with with 2 canned green chiles, some cheese (I used the Mexican blend which is a combo of Pepper Jack and cheddar). Take an egg, 1/4 cup 2% milk and a little water and pour 1/2 of that over the top. Then layer again. Bake at 350 for @ 20 minutes. It is supposed to be 2-3 servings, but for Mom and I it is 4. Good with a green bean salad.

Blanch your green beans and then plunge into cold water. Drain well. Slice some onion into them along with some tomatoes and cucumber (I like the little Persian ones). Dress with a little EVOO and a little lemon juice (1/2 of a lemon to 1# of beans, so judge accordingly.). A little fresh ground pepper and salt and it's done.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:47 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Debbie in VA’s Repost of Somebody’s Broccoli Slaw

Half head of broccoli - I chopped off the thick stems and put them in my mini chopper and chopped until small but chunky and cut the florets into smaller chunks.

Mix 3 tbsp plain yogurt, 3 tbsp lf mayo, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1 packet of Splenda, pinch of sea salt, dried chipotle pepper or chili powder or really whatever spices you love to taste. Add broccoli and chopped stems (depending on broccoli size you might need to add more..depending on how you like it coated.) Can also add 1 smoked cheddar cheese stick (snack size) and some turkey bacon.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Debbie in VA’s Repost of Somebody’s Ginger Stir-Fry Broccoli

2-3 Tbl of a bland oil
1-2 cloves crushed garlic
1 pound bag of frozen broccoli cuts
1 Tbl grated fresh ginger
1 Tbl soy sauce

Heat oil in wok or heavy skillet over high heat. Add garlic and broccoli, and stir-fry for 7-10 minutes, or until broccoli is tender-crisp. Stir in ginger and soy sauce. Stir-fry just another minute and serve.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Debbie in VA’s Repost of Somebody’s Sesame Broccoli Adaptation

Toast seeds in dry fry pan then took off heat, added stuff (had to use balsamic instead of soy.) No oil. Like candy so good. I just can't get over it! So much easier to toast in a dry fry pan. Stir constantly with spatula though because it darkens quickly at the end.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Fitmama Mari’s Power Pancakes

I did the Power Pancakes this morning and they were great!

I used 1/2 egg beaters, less 1/4 cup of ricotta cheese, splenda, nutmeg and cinnamon. I mixed it with a hand mixer. Then I made 3 thin pancakes and added sugar free syrup. I almost felt like I was have real pancakes.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:02 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Violet Skye’s Oatmeal Pancake (Crepe) Version

I finally made the oatmeal pancakes this a.m., and they were okay, with two tweaks:

First of all, I added 1/2 t. of baking powder which made them more like a real pancake. I also added 2-3 T of water to make the batter pourable from my Magic Bullet.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:02 PM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kelley’s Crepe Version

I hated them the first time I made them, but made them thick like a pancake. I use only 1/4 cup oats and add a tsp of vanilla and a bit of nutmeg and cinnamon to the batter and whip it up in my magic bullet ( that thing). Then I pour a little batter into nonstick pan and make them paper thin like a crepe, pull it out take about 1/8 tsp of butter and add more cinnamon and nutmeg - love it. Little dry but love it.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:03 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

MaryMc’s Original Crack Slaw Post

Orginal Crackslaw recipe, from EATING FOR LIFE BOOK
Servings: 2

2 portions brown rice (about 1/2 C uncooked)
2 portions lean ground beef (about 1/2 lb)
1 TBSP toasted sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 green onions, sliced
1 C broccoli slaw
1 C napa cabbage, shredded
1 TBSP lite soy sauce
Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste

1. Prepare brown rice according to its package directions

2. While the rice is cooking, in a medium skillet or wok, brown the ground beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove the beef from the skillet, drain and set aside.

3. Heat sesame oil in the skillet over med-high heat. Add garlic and green onions; stir-fry for 2 min. Add the broccoli slaw and cabbage; stir-fry for 2 min. Add rice and soy sauce, stir-fry for 2 min.

4. Return the cooked ground beef to skillet with rice and vegetable mixture and season with red pepper flakes, to taste. Stir until ingredients are well combined and heated through, about 2 minutes.

5. Divide into two portions.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:10 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quandria’s Zeke Bruschetta

Here's what I did, and it was really good!

Dice a roma tomato, put it in a bowl. Chop some fresh basil or cheat like I did an use the stuff in the produce aisle that is already chopped and in a handy tube (I used about a Tablespoon of the paste). Add the basil to the bowl with a little olive oil (I used very little, maybe 2 teaspoons). Add a bit of salt if you want and some fresh-ground pepper. Stir and then let this sit for a few minutes. Meanwhile, put your frozen Ezekiel bread in the toaster and turn on the oven to preheat to 350 (if your oven is slow do this first thing). When the toast pops up, rub it with a freshly peeled clove of garlic - be careful not to burn your hand. Set the toast on a sheet of tin foil. When the oven is done preheating, divide the tomato/basil mixture between the two slices using a spoon to avoid getting too much of the juice. There is enough to cover more than two slices if need be, unless you got a real tiny tomato, and why would you? Place the foil with the bread onto the oven rack and bake for 10 minutes. Remove and enjoy. You could make this without the olive oil and place a thin slice of cheese on each piece after the garlic, before the tomato mixture. You could also probably bake it a bit longer than I did, but I was anticipating it like a four year old with a frosting bowl.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:10 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Becki’s Chocolate Protein Shake

I have discovered my new favorite way to prepare a protein shake. I use chocolate protein powder, 1 tsp instant coffee crystals, 1 Tbsp half and half, 2 mocha flavored Splenda packets, and 1 tsp cocoa powder (valrhona). I figure that since Wendy says we can experiment with powdered seasonings, and unless I am wrong about cocoa being powdered, cocoa qualifies. Plus it just tastes good, and no added sugar. Delicious!
Old 09-14-2008, 07:11 PM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quandria’s Emergency Nut Mix

It's not on plan, but I also carry 1/4 cup baggies of mixed nuts - I don't use it as a regular meal, I use it in emergency situations where I need something filling to hold me over until I can eat. This is the mixed nut "recipe" from Dr Gundry's plan. Don't try to mix a whole batch or it will cost you about $50 at whole foods (you can freeze them in baggies though). These and protein powder are in my purse at all times in case of emergency. I think it's better to have something with protein than to starve in a situation where you can't eat for a while unexpectedly.

DR. GUNDRY'S NUT MIX - NOTE - THIS IS NOT NOT NOT ON WENDY'S PLAN!!!!!!!

1 lb 25% less salt dry roasted peanuts

1 lb organic dry roasted pumpkin seeds with or without shell

1 lb raw walnut pieces

1 lb raw pistachios

1 lb raw macadamia nuts
Old 09-14-2008, 07:12 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Driving Mrs Daisey Renee’s Chicken Soup

OK, here's a soup I used to make pre WOE, but I think it's still good to use now. You can modify it any way you want to fit your dietary needs. It's SO simple and SO good - fills you up really well too! (just remember to control your portions)

2 cans chicken broth (low sodium if desired)
1 can petite diced tomatoes with juice
1 box frozen spinach (defrosted)
1 small can mushrooms
handful of wheat macaroni shells (optional)
1 can pink kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
italian seasoning
garlic, dehydrated onions (just cuz it's easier)

Throw everything in the pot except spinach and pasta. Heat to boiling, throw in pasta and then turn down heat to simmer. Once pasta has cooked throw in defrosted spinach and cook ten more minutes - that's it. So simple and delicious! I didn't put many exact measurements cuz you just season it to your own taste. You can't screw up this recipe! I top it with a little parmasean cheese (low fat). The recipe also had carrots, but I've always left them out and substituted with the mushrooms. I might make some this week just cua I love it

Enjoy
Old 09-14-2008, 07:12 PM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quandria’s Vegetarian “Sausage Egg Muffin”

Another really quick breakfast for me is my vegetarian version of Wendy's egg cheeseburger.

Spray a regular microwavable coffee mug with non-stick spray. Put a Morningstar Farm Sausage Patty in the bottom (frozen and obviously it's not real sausage). Add 1/2 C liquid eggs (like Eggbeaters, or you can scramble up some real eggs, but make sure you scramble them pretty well or they can have tiny explosions in the microwave. I haven't tried this with a mixture of mostly eggwhites, so I don't know how that would work). Microwave for 90 seconds on high - it may puff up over the rim of the cup, but it will go back down - don't panic. Pull it out of the microwave and lift if with a fork to make sure it's done. If there is still some egg liquid, microwave another 15 seconds or so.

I make this for my son when we're late for school - put it inside an english muffin - he calls them "fake mcmuffins", which makes me laugh. I put mine on ezekiel toast, or just have it plain. I bet this would work for Wendy's cheeseburger if you were in a rush.

Morningstar Farm Sausage Patties have 2 net carbs by the way.