Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shiNer45
Stats: 208 / 179 / 170
WOE: Lower Carb, Exercise
Start Date: August 10, 2004
BOOTCAMP Charlie for Men Dec 2014

gonna go old school and cut and paste the oldest bootcamp intro I can find

Welcome to Camp Charlie all new recruits. Here's the Rules and Regulations of camp. Enjoy your stay.

Camp Charlie is a group originally started by Sarge. It is a group for men to come and battle this enemy we call body fat. Camp Charlie is by men, for men. You need to report for duty at every possibility. If you go AWOL, get back here on the double. If the MPs get to you first, you’d better consider your butt kicked.

All men are encouraged to join and be an active participant
We weigh-in every Monday.
On the first of every month we report our Current weight, Totals for the month, VFZ if you wish, and Totals from our highest weight.
No Emoticons hehe
A variety of eating plans can be followed. Exercise is Non-negotiable. Ask for suggestions if you need help, but you need to get up and start moving.
You screw up don’t expect sympathy

Last edited by shiNer45; 11-28-2014 at 04:32 PM..
shiNer45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2014, 07:14 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mistermirror
Stats: 213/188/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/24/2014
11/29 - 181 pounds

Glad to see a new thread started for December. I am motivated to not let my slide from last week continue. I was tempted to just wait and start on Dec 1, but with the way my body likes to pack on the pounds quickly, that was a bad idea. I started back on Atkins induction eating yesterday. I plan on staying on induction through December, and then I may switch things up. I've been doing a lot of reading on the Primal Blueprint, thanks to ChasingBulk, and I am thinking of starting that when January first rolls around. I lose weight pretty easily on low carb, but as soon as I start to eat carbs again, the weight flies back on. I need a good maintenance program.

Anyway, hope to see you guys posting in here as it helps me to read and stay accountable!
mistermirror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:08 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: billj139
Stats: 218/192/160
Start Date: August 2014
A picture is worth a thousand words.
WeightLossChart141129.jpg
I ate more than I thought over the past few days. The turn up at the end is a major problem.
Back to the nice, stable LC diet.
billj139 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GoBahnsen
Stats: Have lost 42 lbs since Nov.19, 2013
WOE: Low carb my way
Start Date: 188 as of March 5, 2014 6'2"
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiNer45 View Post
gonna go old school and cut and paste the oldest bootcamp intro I can find

Welcome to Camp Charlie all new recruits. Here's the Rules and Regulations of camp. Enjoy your stay.

Camp Charlie is a group originally started by Sarge. It is a group for men to come and battle this enemy we call body fat. Camp Charlie is by men, for men. You need to report for duty at every possibility. If you go AWOL, get back here on the double. If the MPs get to you first, you’d better consider your butt kicked.

All men are encouraged to join and be an active participant
We weigh-in every Monday.
On the first of every month we report our Current weight, Totals for the month, VFZ if you wish, and Totals from our highest weight.
No Emoticons hehe
A variety of eating plans can be followed. Exercise is Non-negotiable. Ask for suggestions if you need help, but you need to get up and start moving.
You screw up don’t expect sympathy
I can follow orders and obey rules. I like being a man. No emoticons it is! Not even a heart or a singing cowboy.

The one thing I will be looking for is success. This "slipping up" stuff is not for real men.

So lets be men! Lets get her done. Lets kiss those love handles goodbye.

No need to wait for New Year's resolutions. We have a whole month to enter into the New Year...with less of a paunch and less of the dreaded love handles.

Can I hear a hearty amen from the men?
GoBahnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:22 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: huff576
Stats: 246.8/240.0/200 (5' 10")
WOE: Reduced carb, walking.
Start Date: May 2005
9 pages last thread....awesome. Good to see some new members.

GoBahnsen - I've been part of this thread (off and on) for a long time now. I remember the no emoticon thing being emphasized heavily back in the day. Punishment was latrine duty.

Up a few pounds over Thanksgiving (which was awesome). I need to knock a few off to make room for Christmas.

Today: 240 lbs
huff576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:05 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huff576 View Post
9 pages last thread....awesome. Good to see some new members.

GoBahnsen - I've been part of this thread (off and on) for a long time now. I remember the no emoticon thing being emphasized heavily back in the day. Punishment was latrine duty.

Up a few pounds over Thanksgiving (which was awesome). I need to knock a few off to make room for Christmas.

Today: 240 lbs
No latrine duty for this soldier sir. I hate to admit it, but I slipped up over Thanksgiving too. I'm not going to post my stats until I get back to last week's low.

That might take a few days. But I'm glad it's Monday. Time to get my head screwed on right. I look forward to my health drinks today. That's how I survive.

I don't need solid food until dinner. I am a drink oriented person. It used to be a beer in hand, but now it has to be a coffee mocha or some other low cal/low natural sugar drink.

They taste good. I can basically have as much as I want and still lose weight. And they are super healthy, full of vitamins, minerals, probiotics, enzymes, you name it...it's in there, including ginseng.

Now there, that's a MAN's drinks!

Oh, and nice to meet you huff (but no handshaking emoticon).
Old 12-01-2014, 08:13 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2000harley
Stats: 302/238/210
Hey MEN!

I have been with this camp since way, way back when Sarge (Mack) started this thing. It was started for the simple fact as stated above.....mostly women are on this site and the guys need a place to go without so much estrogen.

I ate off plan for T-Day (like a lot of us I am guessing) and enjoyed the HELL out of the food. I am exactly the same as before (238 as of this am), so I have no regrets and wished I had eaten a little more stuffing and pie! I am back on track and ready to drop a few prior to Christmas.

Keep up the hard work.

Peace!
Harley
2000harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:19 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

I like to see what I ate and how it affected my weight. I over ate near the holiday but mostly non carbs. My weight spiked up after eating bread, pumpkin pie and stuffing but is now going down after I ate less yesterday (on the verge of hunger).

11/26/14 morning 193.0 B-2BPC L-sausage,tomato sauce,cooked cabbage,2 lowcarb bread D-2eggs,3scrapple,1porkroll,2swisscheese S- evening xx
11/27/14 morning 194.0 B-2BPC,bacon L-wine,3appletini D-turkey,stringbeans,pumpkin pie S- evening xx
11/28/14 morning 193.5 B-2BPC L-sausage,tomato sauce,bread D-turkey,stuffing,asparagus S-bologna evening xx
11/29/14 morning 195.5 B-1BPC L-mushrooms,palm oil D-sausage,tomato sauce,turkey S-bologna evening xx
11/30/14 morning 196.0 B-2BPC L-apple D-sausage,tomato sauce S- evening xx
12/1/14 morning 193.5 B-2BPC L- D- S- evening xx

GB, no singing cowboys? sigh.

If I fall off the horse on this diet I don't regret it but get right back on the horse and keep going. No need to lament. My vision is firmly fixed on 160.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:24 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

12/1 - 184

Hey guys, good to see so many of you posting in this new thread! I am going to go for a 'cheat free' December after too much carbs in November. Goal is to hit 175 by the end of the month. Going to get serious about adding in consistent exercise as well. Frying up bacon right now...
Old 12-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChasingBulk
Stats: 218/204/187 (6'0",43)
WOE: LeanGains
Start Date: 8/18/2014
Bill, you're not alone. I hate reporting the truth here, guys, but here's the truth.....

11/26: 204.8/18.8% body fat
12/1: 212.2/19.8% body fat

That's the truth. I ate like it was the end of the world.

The only thing positive that came out of the experience was that I learned that I've been eating too little. My muscle aches and pains went away with the higher calorie intake, so I know that I need to take in more calories - just the good kind.....

Here's my progress graph - notice the upturn on the end.....

Progress.png
ChasingBulk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermirror View Post
I need a good maintenance program.
I've been doing a lot of reading on the Primal Blueprint, thanks to ChasingBulk, and I am thinking of starting that when January first rolls around.
You might find that you lose weight even faster with the Primal Blueprint, if you follow all of the other requirements (3-5 hours of low level cardio, a sprinting session every 7-10 days, resistance training 2-3 days per week, 30 minutes of sunlight per day, good sleep, etc.). I think that's the key.

I think too many people think of things in terms of net carb intake. What counts is carb intake vs. carb usage.

For example, if I'm sitting at my desk all day with no activity, then 20 grams of carbs might be the right number. But, if I'm walking an hour a day, 80 grams of carbs might be equivalent.

I'm definitely interested in finding out how it works for you. My bet is that you still lose a lot more weight, but if you start gaining, that would be interesting to note....
Old 12-01-2014, 01:35 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shiNer45
Stats: 208 / 179 / 170
WOE: Lower Carb, Exercise
Start Date: August 10, 2004
huff u dirty son of a gun, nice to see ya !!

harley u 2 , good to see u again

mistermirror, i would be with u on the cheat free december but we are going on vacation in 2 weeks, and while ill try not to be a pig, im gonna enjoy myself, we all work hard and need to have fun sometimes!

GoBahnsen, you are right sir lets get this thing started, in the past weve done challenges here, like push up challenge, 30 day exercise challenge etc, if you can come up with something i will jump on it !

Oct 7th - 186.6
Nov 01 ?
Dec 01 - 183

I should actually be another 2 lbs down, but i went a little too nuts on the weekend, it should come off easily though,

im on a downward slide and ill take it, getting older has taught me not to sweat stuff so much, so ill continue to post losses and be happy with that, my goal is to get to 165-170 in whatever time it takes,

i am the same weight i was in 1995 right now, so thats not to bad !
shiNer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:11 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiNer45 View Post
huff u dirty son of a gun, nice to see ya !!

harley u 2 , good to see u again

mistermirror, i would be with u on the cheat free december but we are going on vacation in 2 weeks, and while ill try not to be a pig, im gonna enjoy myself, we all work hard and need to have fun sometimes!

GoBahnsen, you are right sir lets get this thing started, in the past weve done challenges here, like push up challenge, 30 day exercise challenge etc, if you can come up with something i will jump on it !

Oct 7th - 186.6
Nov 01 ?
Dec 01 - 183

I should actually be another 2 lbs down, but i went a little too nuts on the weekend, it should come off easily though,

im on a downward slide and ill take it, getting older has taught me not to sweat stuff so much, so ill continue to post losses and be happy with that, my goal is to get to 165-170 in whatever time it takes,

i am the same weight i was in 1995 right now, so thats not to bad !
Will let you know if I think of a challenge beyond watching what we put in our mouths (laughter).

Look forward to your progress shiNer (two thumbs up)
Old 12-02-2014, 07:19 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

I've decided to stop carb/calorie cycling and to instead go with a constant calorie deficit. I'm tired of feeling bad/good/bad/good/bad/etc. My Thanksgiving binge helped me realize that my body has been pretty beat up for the last few weeks, and I haven't been getting the nutrition that I need to recover properly.

I am doing 4 days of weight training plus 2 days of a bootcamp style class that contains a lot of body weight exercises.

I wasn't really counting my bootcamp classes as resistance training, but at my weight, I think they count as both cardio and resistance training.

Besides, I guess most of the "experts" say that carb cycling isn't effective until you get fairly lean, because of insulin resistance.

We'll see what happens.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:31 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

12/1 - 184
12/2 - 183

Well, was hoping for a big water weight whoosh, but that didn't happen. Guess I'll have to take things slow and steady. Pretty pissed at myself for allowing an almost week long binge to happen. I was at 175 last week, which is hard to believe. 9 pounds gained is a pretty significant chunk in a short amount of time. I started drinking diet soda again. Not going to worry about it now, need to focus on getting my eating back in order.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:28 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingBulk View Post
Bill, you're not alone. I hate reporting the truth here, guys, but here's the truth.....

11/26: 204.8/18.8% body fat
12/1: 212.2/19.8% body fat

That's the truth. I ate like it was the end of the world.

The only thing positive that came out of the experience was that I learned that I've been eating too little. My muscle aches and pains went away with the higher calorie intake, so I know that I need to take in more calories - just the good kind.....

Here's my progress graph - notice the upturn on the end.....

Attachment 55889
Wow. Up 7 pounds. Your weight has been down recently so you know you can do it again.

About a month ago my aches and pains returned when I ate too much weight of carbs. I did not like the feeling so I moderated my carbs and have not felt achy since.

I just got back from running about a half a mile. I need to do this every day. I have not been exercising to exhaustion in many years.

GoBahnsen, I lost weight before LC by drinking anything instead of eating solid food and exercising if I felt hungry to make the hunger go away.

I just watched a video on you tube by Jeff Volek about LC. He explains very well about why it may be the best diet choice. It got me thinking that natural carb cycling was probably seasonal when carbs were available in the warmer months.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billj139 View Post
GoBahnsen, I lost weight before LC by drinking anything instead of eating solid food and exercising if I felt hungry to make the hunger go away.

I just watched a video on you tube by Jeff Volek about LC. He explains very well about why it may be the best diet choice. It got me thinking that natural carb cycling was probably seasonal when carbs were available in the warmer months.
I take it you're referring to when I said this:

"That might take a few days. But I'm glad it's Monday. Time to get my head screwed on right. I look forward to my health drinks today. That's how I survive.

I don't need solid food until dinner. I am a drink oriented person. It used to be a beer in hand, but now it has to be a coffee mocha or some other low cal/low natural sugar drink.

They taste good. I can basically have as much as I want and still lose weight. And they are super healthy, full of vitamins, minerals, probiotics, enzymes, you name it...it's in there, including ginseng."

Not sure what carb cycling is, but I know I can look it up. But hey don't get me wrong, I think LC is fantastic.

I lost 42 pounds this past year doing Atkins kind of stuff. But now I have to find a lifestyle of maintenance where I can chip away at this final 10 pounds and feel great, get healthier, knock down potential for cancer, strokes, stuff like that.

And most importantly, get free from my addiction to beer. I wasn't doing well on bacon and tuna. Not enough energy. So i'd be tempted to turn to the beer for an escape from the drudgeries of certain kinds of LC approaches.

Heck, I'm still LC compared to the average dumbed down American who's eating 2 or 3 hundred carbs a day. I'm probably under 100 and I try to create a calorie deficit every day.

Thus I am losing weight and I feel the best I have ever felt. I've got my healthy fats in place. Coconut oil, fresh ground flax, fish oil, cod liver oil.

I'm trying to be well rounded and do all I can to ensure I beat high BP, bad LDL, diabetes and all of it's foot soldiers.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:04 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Here's my current stats: I'm 6'2"
November 24: Morning weight 193.2
November 25: Morning weight 192.8
Nov. 26:MW (morning weight) 192.6
Nov. 27: MW --------------------192.1
December 3----------------------192.0
Old 12-03-2014, 07:05 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

12/1 - 184
12/2 - 183
12/3 - 179

Nice surprise this morning...4 pounds of water weight gone. Time to go out for my morning walk before the work day starts.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:10 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
12/1 - 184
12/2 - 183
12/3 - 179

Nice surprise this morning...4 pounds of water weight gone. Time to go out for my morning walk before the work day starts.
Wow, that's a lot of water! My best is about 2.5 pounds...maybe 3.

So how did you do that?
Old 12-03-2014, 07:33 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBahnsen View Post
I take it you're referring to when I said this:

"That might take a few days. But I'm glad it's Monday. Time to get my head screwed on right. I look forward to my health drinks today. That's how I survive.

They taste good. I can basically have as much as I want and still lose weight. And they are super healthy, full of vitamins, minerals, probiotics, enzymes, you name it...it's in there, including ginseng."

Not sure what carb cycling is, but I know I can look it up. But hey don't get me wrong, I think LC is fantastic.

I lost 42 pounds this past year doing Atkins kind of stuff. But now I have to find a lifestyle of maintenance where I can chip away at this final 10 pounds and feel great, get healthier, knock down potential for cancer, strokes, stuff like that.

And most importantly, get free from my addiction to beer. I wasn't doing well on bacon and tuna. Not enough energy. So i'd be tempted to turn to the beer for an escape from the drudgeries of certain kinds of LC approaches.

Heck, I'm still LC compared to the average dumbed down American who's eating 2 or 3 hundred carbs a day. I'm probably under 100 and I try to create a calorie deficit every day.

Thus I am losing weight and I feel the best I have ever felt. I've got my healthy fats in place. Coconut oil, fresh ground flax, fish oil, cod liver oil.

I'm trying to be well rounded and do all I can to ensure I beat high BP, bad LDL, diabetes and all of it's foot soldiers.
You are doing great. I hope I can be down 42 pounds after a year. I think it will happen but who knows.

By seasonal natural carb cycling I meant than primal man ate more apples and pears and other fruits and vegetables in the summer when they were available in the fields and more meat during the winter when the vegetables were not available.

Chasing Bulk mentioned in the Sept. bootcamp that this seems to be about eating at a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. Using drinks like you do, replaces solid food with water cutting your calories. Maybe you could post your favorite drink recipe.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:05 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Wow, that's a lot of water! My best is about 2.5 pounds...maybe 3.

So how did you do that?
I know it was water weight because I put on 8 pounds by going off plan for nearly a week. I didn't do anything different except I have been eating on plan, keeping my carbs under 20grams this week. I am guessing I'll be back at my pre-binge weight of 175 in a few more days.

A four pound drop was the most I've ever had though...was pretty surprised.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billj139 View Post
I just watched a video on you tube by Jeff Volek about LC. He explains very well about why it may be the best diet choice.
I think that what constitutes as "LC" should be qualified. What does low carb mean? Does it mean Atkins level induction, or does it mean less than the 300 grams per day that supposedly the average American eats?

Also, I think "best diet choice" should be qualified. The best diet choice how, and for what purpose?

I would qualify low carb as the best diet choice for quick weight loss and least maintenance (no need for measuring or counting). But, I would love to see what happens to any of us if we didn't restrict carbs and instead just ate "healthy" carbs. For example, if I told you that you could have as many carbs as you want, but you had to get them from minimally processed food sources, such as plain oatmeal, sweet potatoes, beans, etc., I'd bet that most of us would still lose weight.

Is it the healthiest diet? I think this depends on how you execute it. If you eat potted meat, spam, Vienna sausage, cheese sticks, and hot dogs as your main food source, and you never eat a fruit, vegetable, or any healthy fats, then I would say not. My mother in law would purchase fried chicken that had been fried in who knows what and peel the skin off. I know another guy that would purchase large pizzas, scrape everything off the top, and eat it, leaving the crust. I know another guy that would only eat ground meat, cheese, and taco seasoning - that was it.

So, if your version of "low carb" includes things like broccoli, kale, cauliflower, berries, olive oil, etc., then I would say it definitely could compete for the healthiest diet.

Is it the best for building muscle or losing pure fat? This one is arguable, but for me, I would say that it isn't. And, there is at least one medical study that shows that it isn't. Optimal muscle growth needs insulin, and low carb diets just don't provide enough of it. One medical study that I read said that they injected senior citizens with huge amounts of insulin, and they grew muscle as fast as they did when they were teens.

The majority of bodybuilders don't use low carb diets, unless they have waited too long to start dieting and need to lose a lot of fat quickly for a show.

Is a low carb diet the optimal diet for compliance? I think that one is questionable too. Most of us, including myself, have been on this board for years now, and most of us have not reached our goal and stayed there like we should have. I would say that from the evidence in this forum, most of us, including myself, have trouble sticking to any diet, including low carb.

So, I'm not sure.

This much I can say - I like low carb dieting the best, because I like bacon better than I like waffles. But, don't get me wrong, I like waffles too. I'm just saying that if I had to keep only one of the two, I'd keep the bacon.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:19 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Not sure what carb cycling is, but I know I can look it up.
The theory behind carb cycling is that prolonged low carb diets slow your metabolism down. Supposedly, after you've been low carb dieting for a long time, bringing your calories up to maintenance level for a day and eating a lot of carbs will reset your metabolism and hormones - at least that's the theory. From what I've read also, carb cycling is more effective when you're fairly lean, because you are less insulin resistant.

Most people say it's definitely a tool to keep in mind, but you don't need to use it until you are very close to your goal weight.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
A four pound drop was the most I've ever had though...was pretty surprised.
I dropped from 212 to 207 - a five pound drop. I'm still two pounds higher than last week, though, and my body fat meter is reading fairly high.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

In 1913, candy, oranges, and nuts were on the top 10 list of children's Christmas lists. These were obviously items that were difficult to obtain. It's amazing to me that any kid within the history of the world would be asking for healthy foods for Christmas.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingBulk View Post
In 1913, candy, oranges, and nuts were on the top 10 list of children's Christmas lists. These were obviously items that were difficult to obtain. It's amazing to me that any kid within the history of the world would be asking for healthy foods for Christmas.
You gotta love the simplicity and innocence of it all
Old 12-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Here's my current stats: I'm 6'2"
November 24: Morning weight 193.2
November 25: Morning weight 192.8
Nov. 26:MW (morning weight) 192.6
Nov. 27: MW --------------------192.1
December 3----------------------192.0
December 4----------------------191.4
Old 12-04-2014, 08:34 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

You guys have been pretty quiet lately. What's up?
Old 12-05-2014, 07:08 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You guys have been pretty quiet lately. What's up?
Nothing much going on with me this week, just plugging along and watching my food intake. Weekends are usually my trouble times, so hoping to be strong over the next couple of days.

GB, you had mentioned at one point that you were doing something different in your life to help make up for the lack of beer buzz. Are you taking supplements, meditating, or something else? I have been trying to give up diet soda, but was only able to go a couple of weeks without it. I also gave up alcohol when I started this diet back in May. It wasn't too hard, just a pain in social settings.