Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Dakini
~~LCMW~~Winter!

New thread!
Dakini is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Adi, I love how you keep up with all your projects. It's especially amazing today since I'm home sick again. I ordered a cord of firewood and the guy came with his sons to deliver it. I tried to help stack along with DH, but I only managed two pieces of wood before I had to bail.

Though on the plus side, I have no appetite for anything that isn't whole and plain, so far today I've had fruit and a 1/2 a sweet potato. Now if I can only keep up my aversion to non-whole foods.

Kritter, I hope you're recovering well!
Old 11-06-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Dak -So sorry you aren't feeling well. I hate feeling under the weather.
Get well soon.
I am finding it so much easier without grain in my diet right now. Other than yogurt and heavy whipping cream, no additional dairy although the frig is full of cheese. I am avoiding it. I just remind myself it is for the dogs. LOL
I was starving yesterday on a DD. Finally figured out I forgot to take my pterosilbene. Although my calories were higher than normal for a DD I was 150.2 this morning. If I had maintained a really low DD I could have seen 149 but I didn't. Must have a controlled UD today so I don't mess up my three days of seeing 150. something on the scale.
It looks like it might rain some more. We had rain all day yesterday so we are soaked but that is a good thing going into winter. Off to cook breakfast for Sami and then to do chores.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
158/152/139 JUDDD 10/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I know what you mean about grains, especially wheat. As much as I love bread, I can do without it as well. (though I am planning on cornbread stuffing for thanksgiving, LOL).

I'm feeling a bit better this morning so I'm working today. Did a series of neck exercises I found online, basic ROM stuff, so my neck is feeling a bit better.

I'm not familiar with pterosilbene, I'll have to google it. Must help some with appetite? You're getting close to the 140's!!! I'm down to 168, would be nice to keep this losing streak going as I get better. This thread is helping, thanks for starting it back up, Adi.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:37 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Still holding at 168, glad that the weight I lost while I was sick hasn't boomeranged back up again.

Plan on cleaning the house today and doing laundry. Wish it was colder, we haven't been able to check out our new wood yet.

Any plans for the weekend?
Old 11-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Hubby and I went to DS' house yesterday to take some furniture and to pick up his boat so we could bring it back here and get it winterized. It is an inboard so it is like maintaining a car. LOL Then went North to pick up a goat and back home late. DH has gone to take the boat to the boat place. I bounced up 3 pounds since I made pizza which we haven't had in years and the carb gain is usually water but I also ate over on my DD yesterday as we were traveling. I am alright if I just stay in the range I am in now as all of my clothes fit but really want to get down at least 10 more pounds. For some reason I crave sweets even if I eat meat and veggies for dinner and I am full. I WANT something sweet. Got to get over that problem.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: krittermom
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: January 9th, 2012
Hi Adi and Dak!

I'm doing pretty good. Still have a lot of abdominal pain but I feel like i'm through the worst of it. I went to the doctor's today to get 3 drains removed - YAY! But I still have one to go. Now that 3 of them are gone, I want to try to start going out for walks. I've been walking around the kitchen and living room a few times a day but I need to start kicking up the exercise.

Jersey is doing really well. The meds make her groggy but she continues to improve. She came home last Friday morning so she was in the hospital for over a week! Poor thing. I think though for a lot of the time she was probably pretty out of it. We're taking her to her regular vets tomorrow night to talk about what's next. I'm hoping to reduce her meds to see if it gives her back some of her energy.

I keep struggling with diet. Over the last week I had a lot of nausea and didn't eat much and then when I started eating, I just ate whatever appealed to me which for some reason was pork tenderloin and mashed potatoes.

I can't seem to stop eating bread. I know it causes inflammation for me and need to ditch it but I have no willpower. I've gotta read some Berenstein threads for some inspiration.

Dak, I'm so glad DS is doing well. Honestly, I don't know any young people who don't "shack up". It was so unheard of when I was in my 20s and now it's the norm.
krittermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:55 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just had a delicious salad. I used arugula, watercress, Roquefort cheese, salmon, olive oil and champagne vinegar. The cheese was so creamy and salty. I think I'll be eating the same thing for lunch tomorrow. Might add a few slices of apple and some chopped walnuts.

I did a lot of walking today between the hospital and then going food shopping with DH. It was good exercise and it was nice getting out of the house.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

kritter - So glad you are on the mend. I think sometimes we just need to eat what we really want at that moment. For some reason I wanted homemade biscuits when I got up this morning. I rarely eat breakfast but I just had to have biscuits. I have made biscuits in 10 years but we had biscuits and pork sausage for breakfast. Got that out of my system. Glad Jersey is home. I bet it is traumatic for a dog to be in a strange place when they are sick.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:29 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good to hear from you, Knitter. Yes, I'm pretty happy DS is doing better now too. I like his gf, she seems to have a very happy personality, I think they're good for each other.

Walking sounds good. I need to get back on the treadmill, I've found new music for my playlist, the app I use matches the BPM to the level of the workout, which makes it fun for me.

Glad to hear Jersy is doing better, but how is your other dog doing? Would have been strange for him with two members of his pack gone about the same time.

Adi, I do think it's possible to get cravings under control by having a reasonable serving. I'm working on my portion sizes now, especially if it's something that is questionable. I get all the green vegetables I want.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:30 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dak, Cooper definitely perked up when Jersey came home. You can see it when we go out in the yard, he runs around and wags his tail. Funny thing is Jersey pretty much ignores Cooper, but Cooper doesn't seem to mind
Old 11-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Aww, that's sweet about Cooper. Funny how animals interact.

DS took his kitties with him last week. I have to say, I miss them. Not their litter box, but I do miss those silly rascals. We still have 3 outside cats, so I'm getting to know them better now.

Haven't lost anymore weight, but not gaining it all back, still in the 160's. Had a good weekend doing stuff around the house, the floors, laundry. Haven't spent much time in the garden, though it is still producing a bit.

How's JUDDD going Adi?
Old 11-17-2014, 02:34 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dak, how many cats did DS have? I do miss having cats. They can be so entertaining.

Oh my goodness, the cold weather that's moving across the country is crazy! We're going to have a windchill of 13 tomorrow! I'm glad to be able to stay in the house and read a book and drink tea all day.

I'm going to have DH drive me to the store later to pick up a couple of rotisserie chickens. The chicken will be good to snack on and will also be good to add to salads. I need some easy protein and I've been eating way too much cheese. Plus I need to get out of the house.

Feels like my belly is never going to heal but I am so glad at how my boobs have turned out. They're a little large but I think a lot of that is still swelling from the surgery. They feel amazing. While I was in the hospital, the nurses used an ultrasound every hour to check on the blood vessels and also felt my breasts to make sure they felt warm. And about every 8 hours doctors would come in and check them. When I had the implants in, having someone touching my breasts like that would have been very painful, but after the surgery I never had any pain or discomfort from all of that poking and prodding. Having the implants out is worth all of the pain. I just need to be patient.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Only a few more days of freezing temps and then it's going to warm up a bit. Looking forward to next week when DH has off Thursday and Friday. He can use the break. Between taking care of me and Jersey, along with the stress of his job, he can use the long weekend. Plus he's taking a really tough class.

Yesterday I received the approval for short-term disability through 12/12. I thought for sure I'd be able to go back to work after 4 weeks, but now I know there's no way I'll be ready. I still need to take percocet and I still have one drain. One good thing I've noticed is that I'm not napping as much. For the last 2 weeks, I was taking a 2 hour morning nap and a 2 hour afternoon nap every day. My body must have really needed the rest. I'm so grateful to have the time away from work to be able to not think about work and to just concentrate on healing.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:22 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, DS adopted 2 of Mama Kitty's babies when they were little, (couldn't catch the 3rd one). I made a big deal about if he was bringing them into the house that they were going to be HIS kittens, (unlike the cockatiel that I'm still taking care of). Didn't count on falling in love with them. I think there's a special bond when you raise an animal from infancy, and with these cats, having them born on our property, they felt very connected here. But like I said, the 3 remaining cats are getting more attention now. Their sibling, Smokey, her Aunt, Samantha and Mama Kitty should be more than enough cats for us.

Good news about your disability being approved. When you first said 4 weeks, I thought that with the holidays, it would be great if you could just start back again after New Years. Hopefully you won't need the disability for that long, but it would be nice to have more time to enjoy the holidays. Plus, you live where there is ice and snow, you'll have to be very careful walking.

I don't know if you want to discuss it here, but I'm not following what you had done, implants removed? Stomach healing and breasts? Whatever it was, I'm glad you have time away from work to just nurture yourself.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:43 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Strange. I thought I posted a reply yesterday but it's not here.

Anyway, yeah I had the implants removed and breasts were reconstructed using fat and skin from my belly which resulted in a tummy tuck which is fabulous! But man does it hurt. And the breasts are taking a lot of getting used to. I had the implants for 10 years so I am not used to my breasts actually moving. And right now they're still swollen so they feel huge but I'm sure they'll get a little smaller. And if I lose weight, they will get smaller too, just like real breasts.

Jersey is doing really well. We started her on thyroid medicine earlier this week along with vitamins. Yesterday I noticed she seemed much more like her old self - more alert and energetic.

I'm feeling a little better. I have more energy and am not napping nearly as much. I'm also doing a little better with my diet.

Are you guys cooking for Thanksgiving? I'm going to my sister's.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:25 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Now what you're saying makes sense. It must feel very different w/o the implants, tummy tuck, what an added bonus. It should be fun shopping for new clothes once the swelling goes down.

I am cooking. DS & his GF are coming. I bought a brining and seasoning mix, going to do the turkey in the Traeger. I want a fresh turkey, but a small one, 12 pounds, think I'm going to try to pick one up this weekend. I was going to order one, but the butcher shop wants $5 a pound for pre-orders, I am just too cheap pay $60 for a little turkey.

Glad to hear that Jersey is doing better. The outdoor cats are getting much friendlier. One of them, Smokey, has just discovered the joys of being petted. Samatha has always been a lover of pets, now we just need to get Mama Kitty to mellow out. We've had the house since 2010 and she came with the property, so she's been feral a long time.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:41 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG $5 per pound is crazy. I wonder if it really tastes better. My family has gotten fresh and frozen and honestly they all taste the same to me. But the thing is, we only eat turkey once a year so I really don't remember from year to year how the turkeys in the past tasted. We always laugh because every year my Grandmom would say "that's the best turkey ever". And she really meant it. So now someone says it to carry on her tradition.

My nieces and nephews suggested doing a pollyanna this year. I'm so happy! That's going to save us so much money and make my life so much easier. We'll still buy for the grand nieces and nephews(right now there are only 3 of them) and I love shopping for the little ones.

I'm waiting to hear an estimate on removing asbestos floor tiles from our family room and office. We want to replace the carpet down there because Jersey has been having accidents since she came home but under the carpet is the asbestos tiles. I want to replace with ceramic tiles and waterproof grout. Oye! I'm nervous that it's going to cost a fortune. If it does, we have the option of putting vinyl sheet flooring over the asbestos tiles, but I'd really rather not go that route.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:12 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Argh! I'm struggling with giving up ice cream! I never used to eat it but lately I've been really craving it over the past few weeks. Today I'm going to make a low carb shepherd's pie with mashed cauliflower and a low carb pumpkin custard.

I'm going to walk with DH and the dogs later on the bike trail. It's finally warm enough for me to be comfortable walking outside. It's been so cold here. We had a few inches of snow here on Wed and it still hasn't melted at all. This does not bode well for the coming winter.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:25 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I ended up buying a $5 a pound turkey. All of Trader Joe's turkeys were brined (I have a friend that says pre-brined turkey have about a pound more water, LOL) and whatever $$ I could have saved driving into Costco was balanced by not having that trip into Costco. It was pretty good.

We had DS & his GF over and after dinner we went and saw Interstellar. First movie in a long time that I really enjoyed.

Rain today! So nice to hear the sound of rain on the roof. Predictions are that we'll have rain until Wednesday, that would be so nice.

We finished the leftover dressing yesterday, so hopefully the weight I gained from that meal will fade away. I've discovered wheat makes me retain water in my ankles.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:58 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I ordered a small Christmas tree from Plow and Hearth, it was supposed to ship the 2nd week of December. Instead, they shipped early and I got it the day before Thanksgiving. So today I decided to decorate it. And since DS was coming over to run errands I asked him to put up the exterior lights and clean out the rain gutters. What progress on the house, I've never been this prepared for Christmas, tree and lights finished before December!

Glad to hear you're up and walking about, Kritter! Nothing like taking a walk after being house bound for a while.

Temps have been dipping down a bit into the 30's, decided to pick all my tomatoes before the frost gets to them, we brought up 5 grocery store bags of tomatoes, hopefully I will be able to give most of them away tomorrow. I tried fried green tomatoes for the first time tonight, pretty good, afraid to look up the calories, yikes.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dak, glad to hear you got rain. Wow, you really are ready for Christmas early. I'm always amazed when I see houses decorated before Thanksgiving. All I can think of is having to water the tree for a month - I'm just too lazy

Did you say you read Wheat Belly? The author is on PBS talking about his new book. I taped it and watched part of it. So far he's not telling me anything I don't already know. I agree with everything he's saying! If only I had the conviction to say no to bread when I go out to dinner. I'll keep watching it though because it does me good to have these lessons reinforced.

5 bags of tomatoes! Are you going to try canning any of them or making sauce?

I made the shepherd's pie today and it turned out great. I had it for lunch and I'm still full.

Day 2 with no ice cream or chocolate or bread.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, he convinced me in his first book. The part about the hybridization of wheat strains before testing was required made a lot of sense. I guess there's only so many different ways of presenting the same information.

I'm trying to just give the last of the tomatoes away. I don't have the heart to do any more projects with them.

Shepherds pie sounds good, congrats on no bread and ice cream! There's always frozen blueberries.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:29 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Dak, are you going to be affected by the storm hitting the west coast? It sounds scary. Hope you guys are safe.

I'm feeling a lot better. My energy level seems almost back to normal. I haven't taken a nap yet this week! I just can't wait until I can start doing more exercise. I really want to stretch out my back and abs but I'm afraid I'll pull something apart lol. And the belly incision and one of the breast incisions is still not healed so I'm trying to be really careful. They seem to be getting better but very slowly.

I bought christmas cards yesterday and am going to try to get them done by Friday so I can get them mailed before I go back to work. I used to love writing christmas cards but now it's such a chore. The older I get the more grinchy I get.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I knew that rain has been predicted for later this week, but I had to google west coast storm to see what you meant, 9 inches! The last storm that came through only raised our gauge by .78, (it was supposed to give us at least a couple of inches) so a good storm dropping a lot of water would be welcome. If it's really bad, I'll stay home and read by the fire. Too many of my neighbors have dry wells, so whatever rains come will be welcome.

Glad you're feeling better! We have a tree up and lights, it's a good idea to do cards now, plenty of time for them to arrive before Christmas.

Off to work, thanks for the heads up!
Old 12-10-2014, 05:11 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Reading by the fire sounds like a very good plan.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:40 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The rain is here! It's been windy all afternoon and early evening, finally, a real storm! So happy, it's been so long since we've had a real rain. Kinda funny, I watched the news tonight and the way they were going on about it was as if it was something that never happened before. 12 foot waves. Yes, LOL, that happens with a storm.

I spent the day trying to update stuff on my computer, youtube wasn't working, turns out there was an update that youtubecenter only has on their homepage that's rather crucial. I have an antiquated Office 2000 that I suppose is on deaths door, tried LibreOffice, but found it too glitchy. Guess MS will get more money from me before the year is out.

Hope you all are doing well. Are you going back to work soon, Kritter?
Old 12-12-2014, 06:55 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Dak, sorry about your computer. It gets so frustrating having to keep upgrading so that you can keep up with the different software.

I'm going back to work on Monday. I still can't exercise, other than walking and it's freezing out so I can't walk outside. Yesterday I went on a hunt for boots to wear with my back-to-work outfits. I have wide, muscular calves and have a hard time finding boots that fit. So anyway, I went all over trying on boots, then went to UPS store twice to drop off returns and then went to the post office. Last night I was so wiped out. I fell asleep from 6:30 to 8:00 and then went to bed at 9:30 and went right to sleep. This just proves that shopping is great exercise LOL. It wore me out!

I found 2 pairs of boots at DSW that fit and look good and are pretty comfy so all that work paid off. I'm looking forward to relaxing tonight with a glass of wine.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Glad you found some boots! That's one of the best things about all this weather we're getting, we get to wear boots!

Getting my hair trimmed this morning, then meeting DS for shopping at Costco. Do I know how to live. Costco on a Saturday. LOL

DS is getting motorcycle. I feel so mixed. He's always been a good driver, no tickets, no accidents, even with his too cool convertible. So I tell myself not to worry. But it's so easy to worry. I guess the equipment is better than it used to be, jackets and pants are not only reinforced with padding at the joints, but also along the line of the long bones, so they're less apt to break a bone.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Costco on a normal Saturday is my idea of hell, but 2 weeks before Christmas, I'd have to prep myself with a tranquilizer before going, LOL

Good luck!

I don't blame you for being worried. Thing is, even if DS is a good driver, it's all the other drivers you have to worry about. Between the drunk drivers and the sober ones who aren't paying attention because they're gabbing on the cell phones or texting, it's pretty scary.

We're having Jersey put to sleep tonight. Last night was bad! She whined and panted for hours and I noticed her head shaking during when she whined, which could mean she was having some mild seizures. Then she finally went to sleep at 10 and then woke up at 1 and started all over. I finally gave her a percoset because I couldn't stand to think of her in pain and that helped a lot. She was snoring within 1/2 hour of taking the pill. But now today she seems really good. She's probably exhausted like me from being up half the night.

I can't go through watching her suffer like that again so I called a vet I found online who specializes in at-home hospice and euthanasia for pets. He's able to come at 7 tonight.

It's not going to be that difficult for us because she's not the same dog as she was. She still eats great but she hardly ever wags her tail and she seems unhappy and dazed.