Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
July 4th challenge

Ok! We are going to start a new weight loss challenge!

We're open to one and all- whatever plan you choose, however you want to set and measure your goals, how often you like to check in, progress not perfection!

So, come, set new goals, have a fresh start and join us in our 4th of July challenge!! We've got about 8 weeks. What can YOU do in 8 weeks?
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok...so this challenge will take me through my birthday, my summer stay action, and my family coming in town for a nice visit! I'm hoping this will help me focus, and commit!

My goals for this challenge-

1. Keep my weight under 155.
2. Exercise at least 3 times a week. It will be mostly cardio in the beginning, with Zumba, combat and walking...and working my up to more weight training.
3. Keep accountable .

How bout you?

Today I'm 153.9. And that's after and indulgent dinner last night!
Old 05-18-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: beachagain
Stats: 162/150/140s
WOE: Fast Metabolism Diet
Start Date: September 2006
Thanks for starting this, Julie.
We have always done the same name challenges so our oldies could find us...many of us have been together since 2006 (so like Springing into Action 2009, 2010...etc...Red Hot Mamas 2010, 13, etc). That said, I feel like I need a change to get out of this rut I'm in...lose, gain, lose gain I was going to suggest this to FF...I hope she comes back soon...but....
Besides, most of our oldies have not come back...they have been MIA for a year or more...I think they can figure out how to find us anyway. Even our old leader/admin...hasn't been here for several years
Here's to new and improved results!

Goal: Maintenance
beachagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

My goal...

1. Repair my metabolism (even though this is painfully slow as far as losses)
2. get my butt moving! ...to battle the above ^^^

I started P1 today because, again, I want to shake things up and make it work. I feel like P1 and P2 will work best for me during my work schedule (Sun thru Wed.) Yesterday, I cooked and packaged meals all day, to take the brain damage from eating...and make it easier for plan two of my attack...biking to work every day .... So day one, eating on plan, and biked to work (12 miles round trip)
Old 05-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/139/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 8/13
Im in!!!
143 current weight.
Goal:
1. stay between 142-145
2.Exercise: Ive got a formula depending on the activity....the equivalent of walking 3.5mph for 360 min
3. Weigh weekly
4. Stay accountable
LowCarbedD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:53 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oldafw
Stats: 162/139.0/127
Start Date: 5/7/11
I am here!!!
Current weight. 146 (up 5 since starting to run)
Goals:
1. Finish 5k to 10k running program (Run in a 5k 6/29)
2. 136 lbs by end of challenge
3. Stay accountable too. I do better when I know I may have to post my weight, so I will be checking in regularly.
oldafw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachagain View Post
Thanks for starting this, Julie.
We have always done the same name challenges so our oldies could find us...many of us have been together since 2006 (so like Springing into Action 2009, 2010...etc...Red Hot Mamas 2010, 13, etc). That said, I feel like I need a change to get out of this rut I'm in...lose, gain, lose gain I was going to suggest this to FF...I hope she comes back soon...but....
Besides, most of our oldies have not come back...they have been MIA for a year or more...I think they can figure out how to find us anyway. Even our old leader/admin...hasn't been here for several years
Here's to new and improved results!
I'm sorry!! I wasn't sure how to start a new challenge. It's totally fine to rename this one, or start another one if that would be better? I'm not attached to a name, just need a more active challenge for better accountability. glad you're ok with it and let me know if you want to change anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachagain View Post
My goal...

1. Repair my metabolism (even though this is painfully slow as far as losses)
2. get my butt moving! ...to battle the above ^^^

I started P1 today because, again, I want to shake things up and make it work. I feel like P1 and P2 will work best for me during my work schedule (Sun thru Wed.) Yesterday, I cooked and packaged meals all day, to take the brain damage from eating...and make it easier for plan two of my attack...biking to work every day .... So day one, eating on plan, and biked to work (12 miles round trip)
Wow! 12 miles! That's excellent!! I'm in a similar boat and getting back to regular, normal, exercise - not a "mark it on the calendar I worked out today" type of lifestyle . You're all prepared and working your plan!! WTG!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbedD View Post
Im in!!!
143 current weight.
Goal:
1. stay between 142-145
2.Exercise: Ive got a formula depending on the activity....the equivalent of walking 3.5mph for 360 min
3. Weigh weekly
4. Stay accountable
Great goals!! WTG!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldafw View Post
I am here!!!
Current weight. 146 (up 5 since starting to run)
Goals:
1. Finish 5k to 10k running program (Run in a 5k 6/29)
2. 136 lbs by end of challenge
3. Stay accountable too. I do better when I know I may have to post my weight, so I will be checking in regularly.
Good for you! Do you like running yet? By the end of c25k I didn't hate running anymore, and I wasn't intimidated by it anymore, but I didn't love it and my right knee complained after a 3 mile run...but I wanted to accomplish it, and I did. I hope you're feeling that sense of accomplishment! And you're sticking with it despite the stupid scale...that's wonderful! you're going for the 10k? wow! Good for you! great goals!

So glad you're all here and well keep each other accountable!!

I'm weighing in at 154.3 this morning! That's with 2 back to back indulgent days of over 2000 calories each with much higher carbs than usual (French fries and frozen custard on Saturday, and a big thing of froyo last night!). I'm encouraged and happy!! My temps have been in the 97's most mornings and I'm quite content that my metabolism is doing ok! That was my major concern in doing my last hcg round. But, it seems to be going well still. The Rx made a BIG difference for me!

That said, I do need to clean it up a bit. I have several celebrations coming this weekend and would like a little more wiggle room to not freak out over what I eat or drink. I'm also working on the exercise and plan to hit the gym this morning, I skipped my combat class this morning...not quite ready for that on too little sleep. But there's a shabam (dance type exercise) class I plan to take in an hour.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

I love running! and I have stuck with it because I feel like I look very different even 5 pounds up.

Its always about finding what works for you. Look at how many different programs we are all on. I love it.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sophia
Stats: 230/220/135 5'8"
WOE: lowcarb-clean
Start Date: May 19 2014
I'm up for a July 4th challenge. I've been yo-yoing and am up to one of my highest weights ever! I had alot of success on low carb in 2001 and again periodically since. Let me know if you decide to change the thread.. You are so inspiring julieboolie, it's amazing that you've maintained that weight loss: and you look great!!

I'm starting a new today. After a regretted binge last night. My new best friend has been pumpkin seeds: anyone have this as part of their low carb lifestyle?

Thanks for the challenge. I'd personally love to be in 'onederland' again by then... I can do it if I set my mind to it!!

High weight: 230+
Weight now: 219.8
Goal #1: 209:
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
I'm up for a July 4th challenge. I've been yo-yoing and am up to one of my highest weights ever! I had alot of success on low carb in 2001 and again periodically since. Let me know if you decide to change the thread.. You are so inspiring julieboolie, it's amazing that you've maintained that weight loss: and you look great!!

I'm starting a new today. After a regretted binge last night. My new best friend has been pumpkin seeds: anyone have this as part of their low carb lifestyle?

Thanks for the challenge. I'd personally love to be in 'onederland' again by then... I can do it if I set my mind to it!!
Thanks!! I have been down the 100lbs for 10 years now! That was Atkins and has been relatively easy to maintain. But getting down this last 20 or so? It's been rough! And I think maintaining here will be a lifelong challenge, but I'm up for it! I'd like to lose about 10 more eventually, but that'll be my next challenge. For now, maintaining will be tough enough!
I've been LCing since 2003... And we know it works! I wish you much success on getting to Onederland during our challenge! Glad you are here!!

Oldafw-that's wonderful!! So glad you can see the impact from running and that you like it too!! I was hoping for that . You're lucky to have found (and be doing) something you enjoy! You're right, I think that's the key to success!

I did get to the gym, did Shabam-a dance like class. one done, only 2 more workouts to fit in this week . May exceed that, but need to at least get there first!
Old 05-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #11
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
If you want to change the thread name, just "report" the first post and let us know what you'd like it changed to
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: July 14,2014 Restart
Are you all still here or did you start a new challenge?
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Is this still active???
Old 05-20-2014, 04:02 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Yup. We are still keeping it. Do you guys want to change the name? I'm ok with it as it is, but open to suggestions!!

Took a 3 mile or so walk today and feeling good. That's 2/3 of my exercise goal this week .

Scale up a bit though...likely residual from my weekend indulging . Doing a Greek yogurt day to get back down a bit and more in control .

Hope you're all doing well!
Old 05-20-2014, 09:03 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieboolie View Post
I'm sorry!! I wasn't sure how to start a new challenge. It's totally fine to rename this one, or start another one if that would be better? I'm not attached to a name, just need a more active challenge for better accountability. glad you're ok with it and let me know if you want to change anything!
:
No, No, noooo....I wasn't saying that at all....I think a new, fresh star is just what we need!!! The name suits us

Honestly, we have difficulty even remembering which is which and which is next

Last edited by beachagain; 05-20-2014 at 09:06 PM..
Old 05-20-2014, 09:11 PM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok, no name change . We can all use a fresh start!! Sounds good!

So, how are you all doing on your goals? I'm down 1 workouts this week .
Old 05-20-2014, 10:48 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Julie...what is the Greek yogurt thing?? I got some amazing Greek yogurt from Trader Joes...I need to use lactase but I love the stuff..
Old 05-21-2014, 03:04 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Morning everyone! Quick check in. Ate decently, did my run. Going camping this weekend. Never great for my diet but good for the mind.

I never eat yogurt anymore. I should probably start.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:12 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hellsbelles
Stats: 228/178/140
WOE: LC <20 (mostly Atkins)
Start Date: 12/4/07
Thanks for starting the new challenge Julie!!!!! I think beach is right - the oldies will find us . I like the name change. I am feeling complacent lately and need to get the last little bit of this weight off. Maintaining has been great but I need to get re-focused on my goals. Maybe this is the trick !

FF - where are you! I will text her to get her back in here

hey to everyone else and here's to me trying to check in more frequently....
hellsbelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbedD View Post
Julie...what is the Greek yogurt thing?? I got some amazing Greek yogurt from Trader Joes...I need to use lactase but I love the stuff..
Ooh, I love TJ's GY. Did you get the full fat kind? (Blue container) that's the best! With a little Splenda and some gpfresh berries? I think the bacteria in yogurt eat the lactose up and it's actually lower in carbs than it appears on the label. The "yogurt exception" it's called.
I do a cleanse day, or correction day, when all I eat it GY and berries. I allow myself 4 servings (2 containers) with some strawberries in it. Quite yummy and filling! I like Voskos brand the best, followed closely by TJ's. it cleans me out and drops the scale nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldafw View Post
Morning everyone! Quick check in. Ate decently, did my run. Going camping this weekend. Never great for my diet but good for the mind.

I never eat yogurt anymore. I should probably start.
I want to go camping!! Have a blast!, I love the slow pace, and the fire!! I've done it LC and except for the s'mores it was easy. Good for you getting your run in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsbelles View Post
Thanks for starting the new challenge Julie!!!!! I think beach is right - the oldies will find us . I like the name change. I am feeling complacent lately and need to get the last little bit of this weight off. Maintaining has been great but I need to get re-focused on my goals. Maybe this is the trick !

FF - where are you! I will text her to get her back in here

hey to everyone else and here's to me trying to check in more frequently....
Don't know maintenance, that's hard too!! You'll get that last bit off. How much? You can do it!! Hope FF joins us!! thanks for pinging her .

I'm doing well. I'm down my normal gycd 2 lbs this morning to my usual 153.4. My body seems to think of this as LDW and tends to gravitate to it. I'm just happy to be back down. Got a little sunburn yesterday, did a 3-4 mile walk, have Zumba this morning and plan to be back in the sun again too. I fully expect some fluctuations! I'll ride it out and stay controlled. It's worth it as I know sun and Mon I'm overdoing it.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:10 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Well I added cantaloupe today...not much because it wasn't very good...anyone know how to pick a cantaloupe?
Old 05-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Yes! As a matter of fact, I do! You're supposed to push on the end, where it has the round mark. If it's a little soft, and then you smell it, and it actually smells like cantaloupe, then it's ripe and should be sweet. I don't think I explained that well, but I've done it for ages and usually it's right.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieboolie View Post
Yes! As a matter of fact, I do! You're supposed to push on the end, where it has the round mark. If it's a little soft, and then you smell it, and it actually smells like cantaloupe, then it's ripe and should be sweet. I don't think I explained that well, but I've done it for ages and usually it's right.
Thank you!!!!
Old 05-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Just a quick check in- I'm off to a rough start.. I'm still munching on my pumpkin seeds. They stave off any hunger cravings.

I think I ate a bit too much too late yesterday- scale was up this morning. Hoping it will be back down tomorrow morning. I had creamer in my coffee this morning, more out of habit than anything- hope that doesn't throw everything off. What do you guys think about coffee and cream??

I also have a huge sweet tooth and managed to find sugar free candy... *sigh* I'll try and cut that out if I don't see any weight loss...

For the most part I've been sticking to low carb though. I guess only the scale will tell.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm doing fine-ish...I hate P2
I was going to exercise better, but I'm doing okay. I rode my bike Sunday (12 miles) and then my coworker asked me to go back and work her over night so I did...got off work Monday 8am and so I obviously didn't ride my bike over night I was super lazy Monday and slept on and off.
My DH shut off my phone that morning (my alarm clock) so I slept too late to ride Tues. I am sooooo happy I didn't ride because we had horrible hail storms and tornado's yesterday, so
Today, I had an appointment so had to leave early...and again, more hail and tornado's. So I lifted weights tonight. Tomorrow, I will be hiking and snowshoeing

diet? it's okay....I am really struggling but I'll get there
Old 05-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

I had a good day..tried to add a few things....a mini pita... A Rita's SF water ice....I had to really research the carb/calorie count....freaked me out when I plugged it into a tracker...it said 44 carbs...I went to another site for owners and looked thru their manual....after subtracting sugar alcohols etc....it was 4...a nice occasional treat..its far enough away that it wont be a habit..I took an exercise rest day...tomorrow Ill ride my bike or walk...The allure of the flavored almonds went away..I gave one bag to my DIL..the Atkins bar didn t trigger anything...not even interest in having another one right away....30 carbs....total
goal made 04.04.14
Old 05-22-2014, 03:03 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

You seem to be transitioning so well Deb.

Beach, just keep plugging along, right?

We leave tomorrow, not running today so I can run Friday and Sunday at the campground. New scenery. Packed a baked chicken, turkey lasagna with whole wheat noodles, eggs, veggies... The only bad stuff will be wine and I have to figure out my snacks that go with wine. Maybe something and hummus.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:31 AM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: casa_2
Stats: 195.8/192.6/140
Start Date: May 12,2014
Thanks for starting this challenge. I am new to the site and in induction, week 2.
My goal is to get to lose 20-25 lbs by the end of July, and continue excercising 3-4 times per week.
casa_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:36 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Allright so I have to confess: since restarting this program, I haven't actually been counting carbs. I've been just kind of guesstimating..and I've been way off. Which is probably why the scale is really budging. So today and tomorrow I'll actually be counting and keeping under 20. I'm taking a trip to Wisconsin for Memorial day: so that will be more guesstimating... but I will do my best. Eating out and such makes it a bit more difficult, but I'll stick to salads/meat/cheese. Then when I come back I'll have game face on till my trip to Disney end of June. More guesstimating there: I've decided I'm not going to splurge on that trip and go off diet. I also have an anniversary coming up end of July.. Still goal of onederland for July 4. I think I can do it!
Old 05-22-2014, 07:40 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Note to self: Rita's s/f water ice has gastro side effects....bad....wont say anymore..