Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 06:35 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kauaimom
"Joy" Challenge - May, 2014

"Joy" Challenge May, 2014

Joy: a deep feeling of happiness or contentment

A special welcome to Newbies! I organized a “Joy” challenge for April and the six of us lost a total of 43.6 pounds (with three days to go!)! There is quite a bit to read below, but once you have registered and we start, it will be super easy to be a part of this challenge! I promise.

This is called a “Joy Challenge” because joy will be ours at the end of this month if we have a weight loss…big or small. And the weigh-in days of the month were chosen because they are the letters that correspond to those numbers (10,15,25) in the alphabet J-O-Y!

Here are some suggested guidelines:

~ Follow a LC (low carb) woe (way of eating)

~ Post daily carb counts. This is to help everyone make sure they know the carb count for EVERYTHING they are eating. You can opt out of this one if you feel you are confident about this. Just post this… carb count: not tracking

~ Post one personal goal. If you were part of the first challenge and met your first personal goal, please post that one (for maintenance) AND a new one. Your personal goal does not need to be related to LC eating.

~ Attend three meetings (May 10, 15, 25) at which time you will also post your weight loss. The goal is to have a significant weight loss by day 10. Then have maintained it (or lost a little bit more) on day 15. Then another weight loss chunk on day 25 and then maintain it to the end of the month. You will also be asked to bring something to these meetings. These meetings are going to be WAY fun. Read more about them below!

~ Make a COMMITMENT to try and post every night even if it is just your carb count and how you did on your personal goal. If you can’t post one night, then post the following morning.

~ Post recipes, thoughts, ideas, etc. any time during the month.

Meeting dates: May 10, 15, 25. Some of us will only being weighing in on these dates, and others will weigh daily or however they feel it works for them. However often you decide to weigh, please post your weight loss only on those three days (and of course at the end of the month).

Here are some possible things to sign up to “bring” to the three meetings. Please post a picture if you know how (I don’t, but want to learn). You can bring the same thing to each meeting, or something different to each meeting.

* LC Appetizer

* LC Crockpot recipe

* LC Main dish recipe

* LC Dessert recipe

* LC Bread recipe

* LC Salad recipe

* LC website or blog

* Handy Man Idea (for the guys who join. Maybe give us a tip on how to do something around the house)

* Exercise (suggest a certain exercise, routine, exercise video, etc.)

* Suggested menu for a day with carb counts

* Fresh flower centerpiece for serving table (with instructions on how to make it)

* Inspirational thought/story

* LC Other - I am making this up as I go. Picture all of us at a real meeting. What would be something cool to bring?

Our meetings are going to rock! Can you imagine logging in on these three days?!? We are going to bask in the JOY of seeing all the weight losses! And it will be just like a real meeting, except it will also be a PARTY! There will be a table decorated and a buffet full of delicious LC food! We will all partake and then as we are sitting around in a circle, someone will share some inspirational thoughts. You can just check in any time the day of the meeting to take in all the fun! Post your weight loss and what you are bringing and if you are busy, read the posts the next day! This is of course a “virtual” meeting. When you decide what you are going to “bring,” get it ready early so if you are busy that day you can just copy and paste it in a post. So for example, if you are going to post a quote or recipe, get it ready in a word document and then just copy and paste it in a post. It will take you less than two minutes that day!

Don’t miss out on this challenge! Come GET support… and BE a support as we all learn together!

Copy and paste below…

User name:

Realistic weight loss goal for May, 2014:

Personal Goal:

I will bring ___________ to each of the three meetings or I will bring ___________ to the first meeting, ____________ to the second meeting, and __________ to the third meeting.
kauaimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

User name:

Realistic weight loss goal for May, 2014: 10 lbs.

Personal Goal: arm pumps (10 each arm daily with 6 lb. weight)
April PG: Knee exercises daily (maintain)

I will bring to a LC soup recipe (I made up) to the first meeting, motivational words to the second meeting, and new LC blog I find to the third meeting.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Oops: forgot my name...Duh!

User name: kauaimom (you can call me KMom)

Realistic weight loss goal for May, 2014: 10 lbs.

Personal Goal: arm pumps (10 each arm daily with 6 lb. weight)
April PG: Knee exercises daily (maintain)

I will bring to a LC soup recipe (I made up) to the first meeting, motivational words to the second meeting, and new LC blog I find to the third meeting.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:56 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Carriemc
Stats: 294.5/280.0/190
Start Date: 3/31/2014
User name: Carriemc but you can call me CAC

Realistic weight loss goal for May, 2014: 10 pounds

Personal Goal: Go to the gym and work out (not just go to the gym) every other day.

I will bring a LC recipe to each of the three meetings.
Carriemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:57 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for doing this KMom!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2014, 07:53 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CK31040
Stats: 142/124/125
WOE: Lower Carb maintenance
Start Date: Dec 27 2013: Restart
User name: CK

Realistic weight loss goal for May, 2014: 1+ pound to a solid 122 (I am only a few pounds from goal)

Personal Goal: Work out video, 3 mile plus walk, or other calorie burning activity 3x a week.

I will bring a LC recipe to the first meeting. For 2nd meeting a plan to post an inspirational pic for summer, and 3rd meeting I'll play by ear.

I have been on LC (this time) for 4 solid months and lost 18lb since Christmas including a few lbs of holiday cookies. Will be restarting again May 2nd, taking a few days off to clean out my freezer of the carby stuff. I love gardening and this will be our (my boyfriend and I) 2nd year garden full of veggies! We put in some seeds over easter and have a few plants started in the house. I really want to get the freezers straightened out so there is one for veggies and fruit, one for meat, and the fridge one for misc store bought stuff not in those 2 categories. It is so much easier to LC when there are lots of meat and veggie options ready to go. Its going to be a busy summer/fall
CK31040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Welcome CAC and CK!

I really think this challenge is going to be a lot of fun with TONS of support and encouragment. Plus we will learn from each other!

CAC: I am SO thrilled you are doing this challenge!

CK: CAC was involved in the April challenge. I am looking forward to getting to know you better. You are an inspiration to me already being so close to your goal weight! I love gardening too! Just an idea...maybe for the third meeting (May 25th) you could post a picture of your garden and share a gardening tip or two that has worked well for you.

KMom
Old 04-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cinglessofme
Stats: 265/250/150
WOE: High-Fat, Low-Carb
User name: Cinglessofme (Feel free to shorten that anyway you choose)

Realistic weight loss goal for May, 2014: 15 Lbs.

Personal Goal: 30 Carbs (NO LC products) or less daily through May

I will bring ___________ to each of the three meetings or I will bring __LC Main Dish Recipe_ to the first meeting, _LC Website or Blog__to the second meeting, and __LC Main Dish Recipe___ to the third meeting.
cinglessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
User name: Lady

Realistic weight loss goal for May 2014, 10 pounds

Personal goal....to be faithful to myself and use my Walk Away the Pounds 3 times a week

I will bring a diet poem to the first meeting, a funny cartoon for the second meeting and a menu for a nice family dinner ...

Welcome CK
Welcome Cinglessofme....will have to see what we call you LOL...
Hello CAC...
Love the new start KMom...Looks like fun...

Last edited by ladyinlove56; 04-28-2014 at 09:40 AM..
ladyinlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Lady: So glad to see you here! We have had a great April together losing weight, having fun, and learning!

cinglessofme: I finally figured out your name...what it was saying. So cool! Well, I would have to say I love the shortened name "Less" if you are comfortable with it. I love to shorten the names, but always want to make sure the people with the name like it. Love your PG. Can't wait for the meetings and seeing the total for the weight losses and also having the PARTY!
Old 04-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

CK and Cinglessofme. Glad to have you join us.

Hey Lady, glad we are continuing on the next month's journey together!
Old 04-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Carriemc and ladyinlove56 thanks for the welcome!!!

kauaimom, "Less" is just perfect! I called myself being clever with Cinglessofme (Seeing Less of Me). It was only after I signed up I realized what a pain it is to type that out, because it is so long, for people addressing me directly to me in a thread.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Hey CAC ....I think we are going to enjoy this month....glad we will all be together again...

KMom ...Since you named this with the word Joy...I can't get this little song out of my thoughts today that we use to sing in sunday school....I've got that Joy,Joy,Joy,Joy ....Down in my heart.....Down in my heart... Down in my heart....I have got the Joy,Joy,Joy,Joy....Down in my heart to STAY...
Old 04-29-2014, 07:30 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Reddress
Stats: Start: 221 Goal: 175 Current:202
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2014
Hello everyone!!! KMOM, CAC, Lady, good to "see" you again!!

Welcome CK and Les! (I'm sorry, I can't call you "less", it seems wrong to me, lol.)

User name:Reddress - Red for short

Realistic weight loss goal for May, 2014: Given that I was up, down, and all around for April, I would like to set getting to 200lbs as my goal. That should be around 5-6 lbs I hope when we start.

Personal Goal: Find more time to exercise. I did not do well on this in April. I will be starting a new job though next week - one that is right next door to a fitness center. I'm hoping I can run over in my lunch breaks and work out.

I don't know what I will bring to the first two meetings, because procrastination is how I roll. Actually, I don't want to commit to any one thing, because it will depend on what I find to inspire me in the days leading up to the meetings.

As for the last meeting - I thought I would bring this. Is that okay?

Reddress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:37 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CBOZ
Stats: 275/228/185
WOE: Doing it my "own" way. :-)
Start Date: 3/2014
User name: CBoz

Realistic weight loss goal for May, 2014: 10 pounds

Personal Goal: 3 days a week in the GYM - more than just walking this month!!!

I will bring a LC recipe to each of the three meetings. :-)

Its great to see new faces. :-) I look forward to getting to know each of you. Lets May on!!!! :-)
CBOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:05 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddress View Post
Hello everyone!!! KMOM, CAC, Lady, good to "see" you again!!

Welcome CK and Les! (I'm sorry, I can't call you "less", it seems wrong to me, lol.)

User name:Reddress - Red for short

Realistic weight loss goal for May, 2014: Given that I was up, down, and all around for April, I would like to set getting to 200lbs as my goal. That should be around 5-6 lbs I hope when we start.

Personal Goal: Find more time to exercise. I did not do well on this in April. I will be starting a new job though next week - one that is right next door to a fitness center. I'm hoping I can run over in my lunch breaks and work out.

I don't know what I will bring to the first two meetings, because procrastination is how I roll. Actually, I don't want to commit to any one thing, because it will depend on what I find to inspire me in the days leading up to the meetings.

As for the last meeting - I thought I would bring this. Is that okay?

RED - this picture needs to be at every meeting and every day in between!!
Old 04-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TowerOrchard
Stats: 222/182/155
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: January 7, 2014
Okay, guys - I'm in for May! Here are my stats:

Username: TowerOrchard (Tower for short)

Realistic weight loss goal: 8 pounds (a little aggressive for where I am in the journey, but I'd rather aim high and miss it a little than aim low and make it )

Personal goal: incorporate walking into my routine - 30 minutes of brisk walking at least 5 times a week. I have been so busy barely keeping my head above water at work, but starting this Sunday I am free for the summer!!

I'd be happy to link to other LC websites at our meetings. I've found some great ones with recipe ideas, encouragement, etc.

Oh, and just like last month - I have an event goal in mind. On June 7th, one of my students will be competing in the Miss Oklahoma pageant, and I will be there cheering her on. I want to buy a new cute outfit IN A SMALLER SIZE for this event. So that is my "eyes on the prize" for May.
TowerOrchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:04 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Wow! on the man picture....I feel the excitement in the air....Now we will all stay on track LOL.....
Old 04-30-2014, 03:40 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
User name: jbatchelor--but you can call me Jeanne

Realistic weight loss goal for May, 2014:10 pounds

Personal Goal: I would love to walk at least 3 times a week but would take more! I hate exercise

I will bring ___a recipe________ to each of the three meetings

I am so looking forward to getting to know everyone-I have totally fallen since December and haven't been able to get back on plan-actually been on a big binge for these months-so I need some real awakening! This challenge looks like what I need and I thank you for starting it-I don't know how to do pictures either! my grandkids need to teach me but getting them to stop for awhile is almost impossible!

looking forward to starting with you all tomorrow!

Jeanne

Last edited by jbatchelor; 04-30-2014 at 03:41 AM..
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:27 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Yay! Welcome Jeanne!

The challenge is pretty easy once you get past the plethora of information I gave explaining it!

The harder part is losing the weight!

Sounds like you did this before, so I am looking forward to learning from you some of the things that worked.

KMom

WELCOME!!!
Old 04-30-2014, 08:28 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Anybody else out there thinking of joining, we would love to have you!
Old 05-01-2014, 04:32 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Jeanne!!

Good morning everyone. Hope you have a great day!!! Will check in later to see how everyone is doing
Old 05-01-2014, 07:15 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CBOZ
Stats: 275/228/185
WOE: Doing it my "own" way. :-)
Start Date: 3/2014
Hello All! It is soooo nice to see familiar faces and awesome to see new faces or shall I say screen names. :-)

KMom - If you would like, I will continue to keep track of our losses. I am happy to say I am starting down 11.4 from the start of last month. RESET to 0 but can't wait to see the number on June 1st!

Happy Thursday everyone!!!!
CBOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Goodmorning everyone from here in the desert....Nice and cool at 70 for now so will be getting out in just a few moments to do my grocery shopping and some errands....

I am so happy to know that I have lost my first 30lbs and ready to start again today for my May goal...I love having a place now to come and weigh in and have fun at the same time .....Thanks to KMom...you are special.....

What I have felt while losing this weight so far...is I don't feel hungry...I don't crave food at every turn, I am able to enjoy myself with LC eating....I am learning now how I don't want to gain again so I am learning about new recipes and how I can have a free meal my way and not lost my way off track....Learning is the key for me with this way of eating....and to know what exercise is what I will continue to do weekly and be happy with it...

Have a wonderful day all.....

Summer is my next goal
244 242 240 238 236 234 232 230 228 226 224 222 220 218 216 214 212 :heart 208 206 204 202 200 onederland
Mary Frances Goal...to find that Onederland and never to return...
Old 05-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Just a quick check in. Im so excited to start this challenge today. I woke this morning thinking how much better and lighter I will feel by Friday. The last couple months I have been plagued by this yucky, weighed down and bloated feeling. I hope everyone has a great, low-carb day today. I'll be back later to record my food intake and report how the day went as a whole. Until later. ..
Old 05-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
thanks for the welcomes everyone-I am looking forward to this month also with high hopes after wasting this whole year so far with gaining-I have really needed a challenge that required something of me-so this is perfect-I am a slug/slider/procrastinator-whatever you want to call-I will be it unless pushed to the have-to point!

where does everybody go for figuring out carbs? I used to keep track but that was many moons ago and I have actually forgotten. It was an online program but it slips my mind.

I will be back also--again-thanks for the warm welcome
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:29 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TowerOrchard
Stats: 222/182/155
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: January 7, 2014
Here we go!!! Weighed in at 189.2 this morning, so that is my start point.

jbatchelor, there are lots of popular websites and apps that allow you to track your food, but for reasons I don't completely understand, we are not allowed to mention them on this site. But, MY eating and FITNESS goals have been greatly helped by this PAL. (get it?? ).

My carb count for today - 31 total; 20 net.

And... I didn't walk today. But I am doing it tomorrow!
TowerOrchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone...hope you have all had a great day!

51 carbs today and 8 waters in. Crazy and rough day today but made it through.

Talk with everyone later!
Old 05-01-2014, 04:47 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Reddress
Stats: Start: 221 Goal: 175 Current:202
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2014
I have the same PAL helping me as Tower.

Okay, starting weight is 206.6 lbs. carbs today 140 total, so I am over lol
Reddress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:08 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Starting Weight: 242
Carb Count: 8