Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Challenges! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/)
-   -   Boot Camp Charlie for Men - April, May, and June (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/827825-boot-camp-charlie-men-april-may-june.html)

huff576 04-06-2014 05:14 PM

Boot Camp Charlie for Men - April, May, and June

Welcome to Boot Camp Charlie. This is the place for men to lose fat, build muscle, and improve their overall fitness. All men are welcome to join, but be prepared to exercise, eat right, and take some heat for slacking off. There is lots of experience and encouragement shared here, so if your ready to get healthy, and not afraid to work for it, this is the place for you.

There are a few rules to follow.

Weigh in every Monday (or whichever day works for you). Report your previous weeks weight and your current weeks weight.

On the 1st of each month report what you can:

Current weight
Total lost for the month
All time high
Total pounds from high
Total pounds lost in 2013

No Emoticons. Nothing will get you latrine duty faster than a smiley.

There are many eating and exercising plans being followed here, share what works, what doesn't, but check in often. Straying from the camp for a period usually means somethings gone wrong. While tempting, don't go AWOL just because you screwed up. We don't like to send out the MPs, but will when necessary.

2000harley 04-07-2014 05:52 AM

Hey Guys....Another quick check in.

Still travelling pretty hard. I am on the road all this week. I have been trying to stay firm, but have had a couple slips here and there. I believe I am in town all next week with a day off on Good Friday, so I should be here more frequently.

Stay Strong!

Peace!

Harley

huff576 04-07-2014 03:29 PM

Monday Weigh In

Jan. 6: 246.8 (start)
Jan. 13: 245.0 (-1.8)
Jan. 20: 239.6 (-5.4)
Jan. 27: 235.4 (-4.4)
Feb. 3: 230.8 (-4.6)
Feb. 10: 228.0 (-2.8)
Feb. 17: 224.4 (-3.6)
Feb. 24 : 226.8 (+2.4)
Mar. 3: 225.0 (-1.8)
Mar. 10: 223.0 (-2.0)
Mar. 17: 221.6 (-1.4)
Mar. 24: 220.8 (-0.8)
Mar. 31: 226.0 (+5.2)
Apr. 7: 223.8 (-2.2)

Quite a ride over the last few weeks. I am fighting my way back.

2000harley 04-08-2014 05:50 AM

Hey Huff!

I haven't been on a scale for almost a month, so I am not quite sure where I am at. I will be home for next Monday's weigh in, so I will post my weight at that time.

Gotta run!

Peace!

Harley

CTIgrad 04-08-2014 09:05 PM

I'm here, kinda. Been busy getting yard work done since the rain has finally stopped up here. Been off and on diet for a week or two. Still holding within a pound or two of my low.

Not quite so Big D 04-10-2014 06:13 AM

Hey guys. Quick check-in. Still doing OK. Not great, but not bad. Been super busy/stressful at work and it's led to a few poor choices. I'm still getting up and jogging every morning, so that's been a positive.

ChasingBulk 04-10-2014 09:13 AM

Hi guys,

Just checking in. I've been maintaining at around 212 pounds for at least a month now. I eat at least 80% Primal, but I do have an alcoholic beverage once per week.

I went to a huge technical conference with around 5,000 people, mostly men, some younger, some older. I'd say that there were less than 10 men there that even looked like they dieted or worked out.

The conference provided breakfast, which consisted of bear claws, muffins, danishes, etc. The healthiest things on the breakfast buffet were boiled eggs and fruit, so I stuck to that.

For in between snacks, the conference provided brownie bits, Mountain Dew, Pepsi, etc. You get the picture.

At lunch, one of my coworkers traded his beef wrap to me for an extra chocolate chip cookie.

Here's my point -

Out of 5,000 guys, maybe 10 of them were fit. If you don't try, out of shape and unhealthy is the default for all of us.

Every guy that's on this site is trying his best. If you slip and fall occasionally, so what? You're on here trying, and whether you feel fat or not, you're way better than the default.

Big D,

You're jogging.

CTIGrad,

You're doing all sorts of cool physical challenges.

Shiner,

Insanity

Huff,

Biking

And the list goes on...

And, we're all trying to eat well, although we choose to have some cheats every once in awhile, because life is short.

Keep trying, keep aiming....

It's much better to aim for the bull's eye and barely miss the mark than to aim for an easy target and hit it square on.

huff576 04-14-2014 04:39 AM

Monday Weigh In

Jan. 6: 246.8 (start)
Jan. 13: 245.0 (-1.8)
Jan. 20: 239.6 (-5.4)
Jan. 27: 235.4 (-4.4)
Feb. 3: 230.8 (-4.6)
Feb. 10: 228.0 (-2.8)
Feb. 17: 224.4 (-3.6)
Feb. 24 : 226.8 (+2.4)
Mar. 3: 225.0 (-1.8)
Mar. 10: 223.0 (-2.0)
Mar. 17: 221.6 (-1.4)
Mar. 24: 220.8 (-0.8)
Mar. 31: 226.0 (+5.2)
Apr. 7: 223.8 (-2.2)
Apr. 14: 225.4 (+1.4)

huff576 04-14-2014 04:43 AM

Chasing - thanks for sharing your insights at your conference! I really needed to see that this morning. It has been a tough couple of weeks for me. I have not been careful about what and how much I am eating and have consequently gone up on the scale. Combine this with not making my workouts a priority and suddenly a week has gone between workouts.

This week is going to be all about process. I do not have a rigid scheduling for my workout so I am going to try and navigate through this week's schedule to set one hour of my day aside just for working out.

Doug K 04-14-2014 04:39 PM

>I went to a huge technical conference

CB, I've only been to one tech conference. I noticed the same thing. Most of the guys in the audience looked like me. Fat, bearded, glasses. Whereas most of the presenters were downright skinny.

I've been a lazy bum lately, just stopped by to say "Chag Pesach Sameach" to anyone else here who celebrates Passover. I'm going to a meat-only (ie, no milk products) seder potluck tomorrow night.

huff576 04-14-2014 08:04 PM

Doug - good to see you. Happy Passover!

Got a p90 workout tonight. Diet not so good. I really need to lock my pantry to stay away from the carbage. My will power has been weak lately!

ChasingBulk 04-15-2014 06:44 AM

@Doug,

Seems like you changed religions? You used to have problems with all of those church functions and "carbage". I'd say that about half of the technical presenters were skinny.

@Huff,

I think the key is to keep a little more balance in your diet. It sounds like you need more carbs. I used to go ketogenic for several days and then carb binge, not being able to help myself. Whenever you get a sweet craving, satisfy it with some baked sweet potato or some berries. Don't ignore the craving. I will often bake a bunch of sweet potatoes in the oven at the beginning of the week and eat on them all week whenever I get a craving.

Also, every time you eat, make sure you take down at least 40 grams of protein before you take in anything else. Never take any carbs in without taking protein in first.

ChasingBulk 04-16-2014 01:16 PM

I went to my surgery pre-op appointment yesterday. The doctor took all of my before photos and I talked him into filming the procedure. It's a sure thing to creep my kids out.

huff576 04-16-2014 06:16 PM

Best wishes for the surgery and its outcomes Chasing.

Things are going better now. I still need to get it in check. I look at my weight loss potential and my current reality and there is a long ways to go. I bought a webcam for my PC tonight. I got a 1080 P camera and it shows my double chin better than I was hoping.

Doug K 04-19-2014 01:17 PM

CB - I still go to the same church I used to, but in the past year and a half, I've started to attend a synagogue as well. I don't know if I will ever formally change religions, but I feel like I'm expanding my spiritual diet, as it were. I'm going to Linuxfest NW next weekend. I'll see if my perception of the weight distribution has changed any.

This morning I looked in my fridge, and saw that all I had was bacon, eggs, and cheese, and some chicken in the freezer. And it occurred to me, there's no reason why I can't start induction today. I took some chicken out to thaw, and I've got a can of green beans. I'll pick up some hamburger and lc veg. I'll show those chocolate bunnies who's boss!

Doug K 04-21-2014 08:56 AM

Well, the chocolate bunnies won that round, yesterday. I've still lost a pound since last week, down four (from 201 to 197) for the month.

huff576 04-21-2014 07:25 PM

Nice job Doug! I had a "holiday" weekend as well. Back on track today. Might weigh in tomorrow morning if I feel brave.

huff576 04-22-2014 05:52 PM

Better day here. I did not go completely crazy on food. I worked to substitute lower carb foods for the bad ones. I did have some ice cream and cake - but I stopped before going on a binge. I felt in control.

Going for a better day tomorrow.

2000harley 04-28-2014 08:04 AM

Hey Fellas.....Long time, no check in.

Things have been pretty nuts since I last checked in. The week I was home from my travels, my daughter fell off the play ground set at school and broke her arm, so we had several dr. appts. for that. I have been on the road since then.
I got on the scale while at home and the number was basically the same as it has been for quite some time....238. I have had several slips during my travels, so I guess I will take it.

Keep up the good fight!

Peace!
Harley

huff576 04-28-2014 04:27 PM

Not doing very good on exercise. Looking to make it happen more regular.

ChasingBulk 04-29-2014 09:23 PM

Too slow around here.

I had my gynecomastia surgery today. The bark was way worse than the bite. I haven't slept well for weeks and actually cried last night, thinking that I could leave my family without a husband or father for something that was elective. I almost backed out and lost my money a million times.

With that being said, I am happy that I went through with it. I feel as though I have been through the worst chest and lat workout ever, but I have pain meds, and its bearable. My meds don't take the pain away, but they put a huge dent in it.

The doctor warned me about how fat my stomach would look after the surgery, but I'll admit, I didn't believe him completely. My entire upper torso got all the fat sucked out. The doctor was COMPLETELY right. I look like a beer guzzling guy that should be wearing a wife beater. I'm hitting the diet hard, and exercise as soon as possible. I feel super motivated.

I asked the doctor to video the procedure, so when its available, I'll let any of you with sick curiosities know. I'm super curious myself. I think it will be like some type of out of body experience to see myself being operated on.

Would love to see more of Shiner, BigD, and CtiGrad.

Doug, love seeing you on here. I grew up in a super strict Christian church where our only form of entertainment was food. Movies, television, organized sports, bowling, skating rink, you name it, banned. Swimming with the opposite sex - banned.

Eating out on Sundays? Cookouts? Desserts galore? Highly encouraged. You of course can conjure up a mental image of me and most of the other congregants. Anyway, I can relate to you.

shiNer45 05-06-2014 05:14 PM

hey guys, lontime i havent posted, checked in a few times though

chasingbulk good to hear u came out fine, recover well

im doing well here, been on a '72 induction for the last week and a half, save for my protein shakes which have some form of no sugar sweetener in them, i figured they did more good than harm for me since they replace a meal and i get the well needed protein

lost a few lbs, and have been in the high 170's for the last few days, i have a goal now, and am going to stick to it, also have exercise down now for the last 2 months or so, i do at least 3-4 days a week hard cardio, with another day started playing paintball with my son everyweekend for 6-8 hours, thats a huge workout

anyway, as soon as i lose some more i ill start weighing in more often,

im hoping to see the low 170's and possibly (hasnt been for a longtime now) the high 160's

already feeling great, and its amazing how much crap i put in my body that i dont now

hehe i missed this the first time "Would love to see more of Shiner, BigD, and CtiGrad." thanks dude, you guys are a good group ! lets keep helping each other out,

2000harley 05-06-2014 05:32 PM

What's up fellas?

Still hard on the road....trying to stay the course. I eat out basically every meal....I try to eat on track, but fall off at times. Tonight I had a steak and veggies, so did well.

Stay Strong!

Peace!
Harley

huff576 05-06-2014 07:40 PM

Checking in. Diet is in shambles, exercise is nonexistent. That being said I am up about 5 lbs and ran a 5K race tonight. I am sore but had no issues with the run. I am in better shape than I expected.

Shiner - good to see you. I missed seeing your posts. Always witty and fun to read.

Chasing - I was wondering if all went well. Congrats on going through with it. Your a man of action. Most people would only talk about doing that surgery.

Doug - keep up the checkins. How many days a week are you on the road? That must be hard to eat right.

Good to see everyone is still checking in. I was afraid the thread might go cold.

ChasingBulk 05-07-2014 09:40 AM

Good to hear from you guys again. I was starting to think that I was somehow linked to the wrong thread.

Recovery is going a lot slower than I would have expected. In fact, I feel worse eight days post surgery than I did the day after. Under my arms and down both lats to the bottom of my ribs on both sides is excruciating.

The best way that I can describe the pain is it feels like a sunburn from the inside out. It feels like I did a million push ups and a million pull ups in one day after not working out for ten years. Then, I have to wear a compression garment over my chest 24 x 7. It is tight, itchy, and super uncomfortable. It makes my stomach stick out like crazy and makes me realize how fat I really am. To top that off, I have slept on my side as long as I can remember, but I am forced to sleep on my back, so I am not sleeping well at all.

When I flex my chest, my chest indents under my nipples and looks deformed. I'm a little worried about it, but from what I've read online, it's way too early to be concerned with that, since it can take 6 months to see the final result.

I have my one week post op appointment today, and I'll ask the doctor about it.

On the diet front, I am eating super healthy and have had two cheats since surgery. I had a small bowl of ice cream one night and some fried artichokes at a restaurant. With that being said, I'm eating according to the Primal Blueprint and so far have taken in multiple vegetables per day with my meals.

On the exercise front, I'm not doing so well yet, but I walked 40 minutes yesterday and intend on easy biking for at least an hour or so today. My intent is to just get an hour of easy cardio in per day until I am healed enough to tax my body again. As long as I feel any soreness or see any bruising, I'm not going to do anything that would divert my body's attention away from its primary goal of healing me.

The day after my surgery, I weighed 225. Today, I weighed in at 215. I am still holding a lot of fluid, but I think I am making progress.

ChasingBulk 05-09-2014 09:02 AM

So, I went to the doctor, and he said, "You need to lose weight!"

I replied, "I've already started."

Then he replied, "You HAVE?????????"

He really got into my head. I came home after my appointment and road 10 miles on the trail. Last night, I walked an hour on the treadmill. I will do the same today.

I have dropped from 215 to 212.6 in just a couple of days. Most of it, I assume, is still fluid and swelling. Either way, I love seeing the scale move.

huff576 05-10-2014 11:27 AM

Hey guys! Things are better here. I would describe my current status as under control, but not on track. Going back to basics. Planning on primal in a few weeks when vacation time starts.

Chasing - nothing like the doc being brutally honest. I am sure he has heard the story so many times that he assumed you were just telling him what he wanted to hear. A challenge may be what you need to kick it to the desired level. Looking at my shadow the other day and seeing a gut was what I needed to snap back to business.

shiNer45 05-11-2014 10:01 AM

keeping on track here, induction officially ends tomorrow morning at weigh in, not sure how i will proceed, may stay on it since im already in the zone

looks good so far though, im hoping for an 8lb or so loss for induction, be real happy with that, then its 5 or 6 more lbs to go to get under 170, that would be awesome as well

Chasing, hang in there dude, see how time will change things, keep yer head up, u are on a good road, it sucks its a long one, but u can stay the course

huff - 5k race, thats alright shape in my book!

huff576 05-11-2014 11:44 AM

Control

Shiner - thanks for the props! No problem running the race other than sore quads for a few days. They hurt most when going down the steps into my garage. Congrats on two weeks of induction. I honestly do not know if I could do that anymore. I have tried and failed so many times. I may give it another go this upcoming week. I bought some induction-friendly ingredients.

Yesterday I felt very much in control of my eating, though I did not eat anything that would be considered low carb. I did not eat until feeling ill as I have the past few weeks. I made lunch and dinner one meal since I ate more than I should have for lunch. I wanted, though not hungry, the munch on something last night late. I made a conscious decision not to and I felt great this morning.

Today could be a hard day, but I am going to try the same approach of bend but don't break.

ChasingBulk 05-12-2014 08:01 AM

Last Wednesday's weight:225
Today's weight: 212

I won't be able to write that one ever again in my life. My post surgery weight was due to tons of inflammation and being injected with lots of fluid. But, it's nice to be able to write it, at least once.

Thanks Shiner and Huff for the encouragement! It does help.

I'm glad to hear that you guys are hanging in there and making progress.

Shiner, I've always been super curious about your body fat percentage. Your weight seems to plateau out at around 165, and your body doesn't seem to want to go any lower than that. With all of the Insanity cardio that you do, and the fact that your body doesn't really want to go any lower than that without some type of unhealthy push, I'd bet that you look pretty great at that weight.

Most of my bruising is gone, but I still feel like a pinata, especially on the sides of my torso, right under my arms. My pizza dough roller comes in tomorrow, hopefully, and then I'll have to start massaging the scar tissue three times per day, fifteen minutes per session, for at least four weeks. If the roller doesn't come in, I'll have to try and massage by hand anyway to break up any scar tissue lumps that might be trying to form.

It's too late now, but I'm having some "buyer's remorse". I keep wondering to myself why I allowed the years of insults to get into my head, but it is what it is. But, I can't tell you how many times I've been told, "You need a bra!" or I've had my nipples pinched and twisted by some guy or "friend" making fun of me.

On the diet front, I think I am doing well. I have been sticking to Primal foods, and I am only eating when I am hungry, and isn't more than twice a day for some reason. In fact, I usually don't get hungry at all, unless I smell food cooking or for myself to put something in my mouth.

I haven't been officially diagnosed, but I am almost positive that I have a grain sensitivity. I can definitely say that the last 10 times I've eaten any type of grain, I've had major stomach issues. Of course, it could be some type of coincidence, but I don't think that it is.

On the cardio front, I'm not doing as well as I should be. I've skipped cardio the last 3 days. I've felt very tired and sleepy and haven't wanted to do anything. My plan, this week, is to do one hour per day of low level activity and three days of weight lifting (no direct chest).

I have a followup appointment with the doctor in a little less than a month, and I want both he and I to end up happy.