Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 08:02 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChasingBulk
Stats: 235/208/187 (6'0",42)
WOE: LeanGains
Start Date: 8/18/2014
Shiner, I think we need some type of challenge. Got any ideas? I was thinking something like 30 days of 30 minutes of consecutive cardio.

Last edited by ChasingBulk; 05-12-2014 at 08:04 AM..
ChasingBulk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shiNer45
Stats: 208 / 181 / 170-175
WOE: Lower Carb, Exercise
Start Date: August 10, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingBulk View Post

Shiner, I've always been super curious about your body fat percentage. Your weight seems to plateau out at around 165, and your body doesn't seem to want to go any lower than that. With all of the Insanity cardio that you do, and the fact that your body doesn't really want to go any lower than that without some type of unhealthy push, I'd bet that you look pretty great at that weight.

Chasing, that weight was a better time for me, ive not seen that in quite awhile, im not entirely sure of the body fat percentage i had, but i felt great and clothes fit me well, ill never be a skinny guy, but hopefully ill be back there soon

Huff - im glad i did the induction again, but i went old school atkins '72 with no sugar alcohols except for my protein shake had some sort of sugar replacement, i was not going to stop those as i dont eat tons of meat. also a big thing i noticed is i am a diet pop junkie, i stopped the pop for the last few weeks, i crave pop, but this is for the greater good

I saw 175 on the scale this AM, which pumped me up huge! i see the weight coming off now, may continue with another week of induction levels

Chasing, im down for your challenge, im doing 4-5 days a week now of T25 , so ill be all over this one, only thing is, i need a few gimme days, cause im starting to work more overtime at my first job and i still go in part time 1 day a week at the other ! and im gonna mark down a day of paintball worthy of 30 mins exercise, LETS DO IT< WHO ELSE IS IN >>>?????????

Last edited by shiNer45; 05-13-2014 at 01:31 PM..
shiNer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Shiner,

I'm up for something....I don't know what T25 is, but it sounds good.....

I've only played paintball once, and that was when I was in my 20's....

I didn't realize how much "exercise" I had gotten until the next day. I could barely walk the next day from running around like a duck and hiding behind obstacles.

Fear of getting popped in the back by air guns that are charged too high is a great motivator....

I think the place that rented the guns to us had too much pressure on them. One of the guys got his hand split open and was bleeding from getting shot in the hand. I was wearing two shirts, and I got popped in the kidneys. It left a bruise.

Another guy had his keys in his pocket and got shot. He said that he had a key shaped bruise on his thigh.

The funny thing is, none of us thought about the possibility of being shot in the privates, so we didn't wear cups. If that had happened, I think there would have been hospitalization involved....

I'm a much wiser man today than I was back then, but I agree - GREAT EXERCISE!
Old 05-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

hey chasing, you may wanna check out T25, some of the moves u feel like a total dork, but i sweat like a pig when i do it and best of all only 25 minutes,

maybe google video search T25 speed 2.0 or 1.0 see if anything comes up

i feel mental, but i get a good workout everyday

i also worry about getting hit in the nuts when playing paintball, but most of the time u are crouched down , cant wait to play this weekend, also its good time spent with my son, we had a hard time finding common ground, with paintball we are both loving it
Old 05-15-2014, 06:53 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2000harley
Stats: 302/238/210
WOE: Atkins
Hello Guys....another quick check in.

Still travelling....still trying to stay on course. I have had a few slip ups, but for the most part, I am doing ok. I usually do a un-wich at Jimmy John's for lunch and grab a decent protein dinner with veggies. My exercise hasn't been great, but I am trying.

Keep it up fellas!

Peace!

Harley
2000harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:41 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Monday weigh in

April 28 - 183+ ( start of induction)
May 19 - 173.6 -10 lbs

still stuck a bit on induction level carbs after 3 weeks, today starts the 4th week where i think i will bring up the carbs slowly, since things are going so well i dont wanna mess them up now, but i know my body is getting wise to me,

may have to mix things up with a high carb meal, the other day i did this with a medium carb meal and felt like crap later,

have to keep in mind i have an all in mentality, i have problems regulating carbs, but im ok with cutting them out completely

for exercise today a buddy called to play tennis, may do a cardio later this after noon depending on how much i get out of tennis,

plan to be under 170 by next monday, got some nite shifts coming up and i always lose a little bit when i work them, not sure why
Old 05-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Shiner, awesome that you and your son have found some common ground. Mine just turned 12, and I can't seem to find any with him.

So, after we played paintball, a lady at the office told us a horror story that her husband had witnessed of a guy getting shot in the nuts. She said that they laid the guy out in like a locker room. His sack was as big as a grapefruit, and he was screaming in pain.

Although I haven't played since, she told the story so skillfully and traumatically that we all vowed that should we play again, we would be investing in protective cups.

I also knew personally a kid that got a paintball shot directly into his ear canal. I guess his face mask didn't protect it. That was years ago, and as far as I know, he doesn't have any lasting damage.

I grilled steaks last night, barefoot. I have one of those charcoal chimneys to help me light the charcoal. I picked up the wrong charcoal at the store the other day, and instead of briquets, I got charred wood. I poured the embers into the grill and didn't realize that a small one had fallen out the bottom of the charcoal chimney. I stepped on it, and started hopping all over the yard.

Anyway, I've got a pretty nasty blister at the top of my foot that makes walking super painful. I'm planning on bike riding for cardio, at least for the next few days.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:38 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Hello Guys,

So I have not been sleeping very well the last month or two....probably doesn't help I sleep in a different hotel bed 5 - 6 nights a week.....and I have never slept real well, so I decided yesterday to go down the same road several of you have done. I am off all diet pop and coffee. I had one hell of a headache by 1 pm yesterday but pushed through and made it. I assume the worst should be over now, but we will see today. I am going to stay off for 1 month and see how it changes my sleeping and my weight loss.

Other than that....same old, same old for me.

Keep working hard!

Peace!

Harley
Old 05-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

I didn't realize my doctor had posted the videos yet, but here is a link to me being operated on. It doesn't look like such a big deal now, but I'm still pretty sore three weeks post surgery.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

gonna try to watch your video chasing, but im a squemish guy, may not get through it

on nites this weekend covering some shift for someone, also getting down in the low 170's, im hoping monday or tuesday to see the 160's, even if its an ounce below 170 ill be stoked,

will checkin later, gotta run to work now,
Old 05-23-2014, 01:28 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000harley View Post
Hello Guys,

So I have not been sleeping very well the last month or two....probably doesn't help I sleep in a different hotel bed 5 - 6 nights a week.....and I have never slept real well, so I decided yesterday to go down the same road several of you have done. I am off all diet pop and coffee.

Harley
harley, its a hard road to go down, but ive been off for almost 4 weeks now, i craved it like crazy the first 2 weeks, but now, i dont care about it, and that was my only vice since i dont drink coffee at all or tea, im 100% water now,

btw good job and keep it up, i have a feeling the diet pop was hindering my weight loss
Old 05-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

what in the hell happened to this place?

things are bad when i post 3 times in a row,

meant to post monday, had a breakthrough with the weight

April 28 - 183+ ( start of induction)
May 19 - 173.6
May 26 - 168.8 AWESOME !!!!!

just what i wanted to see, i think i was a bit dehydrated, but im gonna take it, decided to keep up the good eating for a bit longer, howere i did reward myself with about 5 or 6 Jalapeno poppers on monday nite, they werent crazy bad, and had no ill effects from them

cant remember the last time i posted in the 160's, im stoked
Old 05-27-2014, 06:03 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Nice Job Shiner! 160's is killing it!

Peace!
Harley
Old 05-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Marvin
Stats: WT=410/345/225?
WOE: Atkins induction, Bernstein
Start Date: Which time?
Hey guys, been in and out of this challenge in the past. Ready to jump back in. This time I've given myself something to work for. Going to climb Flattop Mountain in CO at the end of July. It's rated as "difficult"; about a 2800 ft climb over 4.4 files. Total elevation is about 12something. It's not a fourteener, but will be a challenge nonetheless. Hoping to drop about 40 lbs by then, but the biggest thing is exercise. I've logged about 25 miles of walking in the last week, so I'm well on my way.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Oh and I'd be up for the 30/30 challenge...
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:40 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Hey Guys.
Checking in on a Saturday morning. Things have been going quite well....I am strictly on plan. I've been running really hard at work, so I have started to use protein shakes for meal replacements twice a day. Probably not the best, but they work in a pinch.
I haven't been on the scale lately, but will on Monday morning before I head out for the week.

Peace!
Harley
Old 06-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Oh and I'd be up for the 30/30 challenge...

MARVIN !!!! awesome to see u again, lets get things revved up buddy, we need this group to take off again,

Jan 2012 - 174.2
Jan 2013 - 173.6
Jan 2014 - 181.4
Mar 2014 - 185
June - 169 !!! Excellent, im a week at this weight now, within 2 lbs , i think that its gonna stay, ive been eating really well for the past month, only hiccup was yesterday at work we ended up working 18 hrs, and i wasnt prepared for that, so i went off plan with 2 slices of pizza (small ones) and a breakfast that morning,

hope we get some more 1st of the month posters in here,

Harley - Thanks dude for the encouragement, keeps me on the right track
Old 06-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for welcome back shiNer45! And awesome stats since March!!!

Current weight - 345
Total lost for the month -0
All time high - 410
Total pounds from high - 65
Total pounds lost in 2014 - 0 (it probably isn't really 0, but I'm calling it a start from 345)

I've got the exercisers' scale blues. Not really, but I've been back on LC for two weeks and haven't lost a pound. I have taken .5 inch off my chest, an inch off my abdomen and .25 inch off my waist. Plus I've got looser fitting clothes, and I was working on my shed over the weekend, and you have to bend over to frame the walls and put the siding on, and BEFORE I couldn't do it without pain, shortness of breath and dizziness. I resumed the project over the weekend, and framed a wall in no time with none of the adverse symptoms from before! Gotta love the non-scale victories!

Exercise is a big part of my program this time. I averaged over 5 miles per day walking last week, with a few short jogs thrown in to achieve a bit of a HIIT workout. So I know that's why the scale isn't moving. But soon, it's going to start rushing down like a river.

Had a couple of thoughts about revving up this men's challenge board a bit. I'd prefer to discuss via PM, so if you're interested in an idea or two, shoot me a PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:30 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: huff576
Stats: 246.8/223.0/200 (5' 10")
WOE: Reduced carb, walking.
Start Date: May 2005, Reboot: Jan 2014
Marvin - welcome back. Great idea climbing flat top.
Chasing - that was nuts how fast the lip took away the excess fat! That video is proof of why you were sore.

Shiner - way to hit the 160s.

Been AWOL. When there is nothing good to report, it is hard to jump on. Weight was 228.2 this morning. I am up about 7 pounds from the low for the year. I feel more ready than I have in some time to get going again. I want to move my whole family (and myself) to Paleo, but I have not taken the necessary time to prepare. That is a weekend project for me.
huff576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:43 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Hey Huff, thanks a bunch.

I get exactly what you're saying about not wanting to check in when you're not feeling good about your progress. I've done the same. I hope that we can stick together though. I really do think there's a place for a "man's board" on this LCF, as I think there is a lot that's unique and different to us.

I remember I belonged to one LC forum where there were private men's and women's boards....you had to be a man to get into the men's, and it was locked down to those who were women, or who had not specifically requested access. It was pretty much "locker room" kind of environment which is by no way a criticism. I think guys need that kind of thing for support and encouragement and fun. It can be hard with responsibilities of work, marriage, family, etc., on top of trying to get and be healthy, and it was a place guys could let their hair down. It was pretty much unmoderated and a lot of fun. Not sure if anything like that would ever fly here, but it would be fun to explore the possibilities...

I mean there was still an accountability element, but guys felt okay just showing up even if they had nothing positive to report.

Last edited by Marvin; 06-06-2014 at 01:44 PM..
Old 06-06-2014, 03:00 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doug K
Stats: 229/195/140; goal: 30" waist (5'4" tall)
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 2011
Hey all,

I've been at 195 through all of May, down 2 pounds since I was last here in April. I've still been a slacker about food and exercise.

CB - that video was brutal! But I bet when the swelling and bruises go down, you'll be glad you got that off your chest.

Shiner - congrats punching through into the 160's!

Marvin - Having a goal like that is a good idea. Let us know how you divide it up.
Doug K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doug K
Stats: 229/195/140; goal: 30" waist (5'4" tall)
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 2011
Yesterday's eats: I just had two meals yesterday. My appetite tends to go down in the summer (except for stuff like ice cream).

bkfst: 4 slices of thick bacon, 2 fried eggs, a slice of cheese

dinner: 3 c zucchini stir fry in olive oil with onions, red peppers, garbanzo beans, and pepperoni

snack: a slice of cheddar cheese

per (bulletin board software edits out the name of the nutrition tracker I use): 103.41 g fat/47.63 g net carb/70.71 g protein/1460 calories

Last edited by Doug K; 06-07-2014 at 10:14 AM..
Doug K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:15 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Hey Guys.
I ate out of plan Friday Night (had friends over and ordered Pizza and had a couple of beers) and Saturday (Grad Party and had pasta salad, sandwich, ect.). I am back on as of today. Probably was a good thing to go off for a little while as it helps me focus again.

I have a few more weeks of hard travel then I will be back home for a majority of the time during the week (Only gone 2 - 3 nights per week).

Peace!
Harley
Old 06-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

6/2 212
6/3 211

Man, I worked my butt off for that measly pound. I did 6 hours of cardio and lifted weights one day, plus I ate REALLY clean. I'm pretty disappointed, but I'm moving forward!

Shiner,

Awesome to hear that you're in the 160's again. You're winning!

Marvin,

Good to see you back. Stick with it.

Doug,

You too...good to see you back.

Harley,

Keep living life

Regarding my surgery, I can't feel the left side of my chest at all - completely numb, and there are other parts of my lats that are numb too. I go for a follow up today, but I'm not very happy.

I should've listened to what every other plastic surgeon online was saying - "Lose the weight BEFORE having surgery"

Everything would've been so much easier.

On the positive side, I feel that I HAVE to lose the weight now, or the doctor will keep telling me, "Well, the reasons your results aren't correct is that you have more weight to lose."
Old 06-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Hey guys, happy Monday.

6/2 - 345
6/9 - 338

Scale is starting to budge after 4 weeks. I know the exercise I'm doing has to be the scale culprit, because my measurements are going down, and my clothes are looser. Went shopping for some XXL shirts (instead of XXXL or larger) over the weekend. Oh, and bought a pair of 48 shorts that are still a bit too tight, but won't be for long.

You guys are doing great. This is a marathon and not a sprint. Hang in there and focus on the long term big picture.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:34 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Marvin - Nice Job!

I did not weigh in this morning - actually forgot that it was weigh in day. I have been doing a ton of projects around my home and my mother's home. One thing that really sucks when your the only close child to a parent is you get asked to do a lot of small and big projects. Not sure if you guys have experienced it, but every time I stop by my mom's house to fix something she is talking about 5 other things that need fixed. One easy fix quickly becomes an all-day event.

I am going to try to get on a regular fitness routine again here soon. I can literally work on home projects from the time I wake up until late at night and I still can't get all I want done. I have had some vacation time, but the way I am spending it I ALMOST feel like I want to go back to work...

Stay well!
Old 06-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Huff, I'm the only close child to my parents in their late 80s. We are there typically every week and there is usually something. My dad still does a lot so he won't ask. But I'll notice something and just offer to do it. Usually don't get too many arguments though they are still very proud.

And my own shed building has been on hold while I am focused on exercise. I usually walk in the morning and work till 6 or so at night at my job. So something always has to give doesn't it? Glad you keep coming anyway!
Old 06-11-2014, 06:36 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Marvin - I completely get that. When you step back and look at the big picture of fitting it all in, I think of a quote I saw posted in the corridor of the health sciences college: "The First Wealth is Health". Simple, but so true.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:19 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: batlou
Stats: 295/215/170
WOE: Atkins Low-Carb
Start Date: 3/06/2008
I just found this thread, after posting here for 5 years. Maintained for about 3 years and then got cocky and ended up off plan for about a year which resulted in about 35 lbs of weight gain. Probably more like 40lb's of fat and 5lbs of lean tissue. Anyway, need to get this reeled in before it slips into a full on tailspin.

My plan is to weigh in on Monday's and post my fitness plans.
Current Weight (Monday 6/09): 220

Back to the basics for now and only half way into day 3 and feeling better physically already. Woot! Why the F#($ I ever stopped eating on plan is beyond me.

LCF - Journal
The Urban Primate - My Journey to Better Health
batlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Welcome batlou. Tell your friends.