Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: easwann
Stats: was 242lbs am 187lbs
WOE: Peace, meat, water, and eggs!
Start Date: learning everyday
Starting over support group

After doing Atkins since 2003 and losing 60 lbs, I have found the last year I have become lax and let 20 lbs creep back on. Then I found these articles and it changed my life! I have just completed 2 weeks of a perfect induction... that is a real feat because for the last year I haven't been able to string 2 days together!! If you read these articles, and want to hang out here with me for support, I'd love the company!

Starting over?? Read this...

Starting over?? Read this part 2...

Looking forward to making some new friends and losing this weight!! Have a great weekend everyone!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: monees lc
Stats: 187./156.5/145
WOE: atkins
Start Date: March 2008
I would love to. All the points in the article I could have fallen out of my chair after reading. It was classic to what I have been doing with restarts. Half eating right then wondering why lowcarb didn't work this time around, trying to find substitutes for everything as opposed to just eating clean, straight lowcarb and finally the excuses that kept throwing me off track. I consider this a real official restart since I know how to tackle and what I'm faced with in terms of allowing my body to readjust before expecting it to jump right on the lowcarb band wagon again.
monees lc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jazills
Stats: 241.8/241.8/145 - 5'2"
WOE: VLC/NK
Start Date: July, 7 2014
Here you are! I'm here! I have a confession to make to people that don't know. I have gained 80 pounds since 2011 after being off of LC since then. Before with LC I lost 50lbs in 3 months...eating basics! Every time I try to get back on LC I fall short. Those articles opened my eyes...i'm here to lose again and be healthy again!

Thank you Lizzie!!!
jazills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
Totally in! Loved the articles--so many key points for me, I felt like I had a few more "aha" moments while reading them. This is all very timely as I'm restarting my program again starting in the morning. I'm excited to be able to restart with some other lovely people! Looking forward to getting to know everyone and see what kinds of success we can have!
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Glad to have you aboard Danielle! I agree when I seen those articles I thought, oh my how much more perfect could this be?!
Old 04-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Jana and Danielle! Wow.. I am so glad I posted those articles. I had the same reaction to it, quite eye opening.

Monees..you hit the nail on the head about trying to find substitutes.. I think the taste of some things will trigger me to eat it because it tastes good, so the fact that it's lc per serving does nothing when I eat 2 helpings. I am not as likely to overeat salad and chicken, plus they are easier to track the carbs, no hidden ones.

Jana.. your weight loss was incredible your first time around! I have no doubt you will be successful again.

I have 2 reasons for wanting to lose weight, 1) I want to not be self conscious and feel like I am the biggest person in the room. and 2) Summers coming, need I say more?

I found this article right after my 45th birthday, I was bloated from my 'birthday meal/day/week' and it just struck a chord with me. I have read about the Golden Shot, the theory that the first time you do lc it works best and each subsequent time works less well and less well. I couldn't count the Mondays I had recommitted only to crash and burn by tuesday so I was fearful it would never work again for me.

I finished a clean induction yesterday. 2 weeks without a cheat. I followed the rules from the 1972 version, and because I drank diet sodas and used sweetener to lose 60 the first time, I have gone back to the way I ate when I first started and have gone from 208 on 3/21 to 196.2 today. So take that, Golden Shot!
easwann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:44 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KirbyTris
Stats: 252/230/150
WOE: Low Carb
I would love to join you all. I have followed a low carb diet most of my life with much success. Most recently, I had lost about 80 pounds three years ago. Unfortunately, I have fallen off the wagon many times regaining everything I lost. I am at a point in my life now where I can't even get in one good day. Thank you so much, Lizzie, for posting the articles.
KirbyTris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Lizzie, my reasons for wanting to lose are similar to yours. I can't remember a time in my adult years where I haven't assessed every room I've walked into to see if I'm the biggest person there....it's an awful existence and I'm really working on breaking that cycle. It serves no real purpose other than to really derail my self esteem....the real reality of it all is that I don't think anyone else is really paying attention, so why should I? I'm working on both the mental and physical on this one!

And yeah, summer's coming and I live in H-E-Double-L in the summer months....the less clothes worn as possible would be nice!

Today is my Day 1 again... Man 'o' man, 'o' man...... why do I let myself get off track! Starting over sucks, but I am thankful that I DO have the opportunity to do so! I'm really working on less focus on numbers and more on fitness and clean eating....the numbers get to be too much for me so I'm trying a different approach.. I will still weigh weekly, but not doing the every day weighing that I have done for years on end. This time around, working on making measurements my friend

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
Old 04-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Kirby!! One of my best friends lives in Kittatinning (sp?) Yes, this is the spot for those of us that were having exactly that trouble.. I am on my 16th day of induction, and I owe it all to Dr. Eades article.

Danielle! Thank you for your post.. I needed to read that. Wonderful new outlook, I will try to think that way myself. I must measure this week. I founds some old measurements in a drawer..just hoping I am smaller than when those were taken. :/

Sunny, windy day here in Eastern PA.. enjoy yours!
Old 04-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Lizzie, you're doing so well!

I am really trying to work on my "inside"....it's been a true work in progress since last September, but I'd like to think I'm doing well. I have good days & bad, but the good mostly outweigh the bad.. it truly all is in the attitude I've struggled so much in the past with this, easily just shoving everything under the rug instead of facing it all... choosing to own it and work through it has been hard, but VERY empowering. I get alittle bit stronger every day. There is something to be said for overall transformation!
Old 04-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Danielle you are going to be awesome this time and we are here to help and keep each other motivated! Lizzie I'm so proud of you! I can't thank you enough for sharing your success "secret" this time around.

I'm looking forward to a healthier, thinner me in the upcoming months! I can already feel it working on my confidence as I get into day 3 of my journey. Going strong! At this point I'm usually done for, i'm proud I've made it this far.

Lizzie I'm moving to New Jersey in May, we will be kinda close to each other My fiance's family is from Montrose, PA.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Jana, thank you! One thing, we're ALL awesome RIGHT NOW, just as we are! So happy to hear that you feel your confidence coming back, it's so important! Believe, and great things will happen!
Old 04-05-2014, 09:32 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Jana!! I am excited yo are moving closer to me! You look like a fun girl in your pic! I am proud of you too! Now at three days you are starting to burn that fat and to slip up would mean having to take 3 days to rev up again. Stick with it! At day 16 I have too many days invested now...

Danielle.. I so agree, it has been a lifelong internal battle, to wake up every day hating my body. I wish I was as fat as I thought I was at 18, right?? LOL

Thanks for the kind words ladies.. day 16 here and still going strong! Can't say I have a success secret yet, but that's my plan! I am trying to think positive thoughts like how awesome it will be to post an after pic I'm proud of. I just can't let myself down again. If I won't stand up for myself and my health , who will??

Have a great Sunday everyone! I've been worried about the big Easter kids party tomorrow, but then I remembered I'll have 6 kids under 7 painting eggs! There will be plenty of broken eggs to eat!

Last edited by easwann; 04-05-2014 at 09:33 PM..
Old 04-06-2014, 05:25 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KirbyTris
Stats: 252/230/150
You are doing so great, Lizzie! I live about 45 miles from Kittanning, PA. Have fun at the party today!

I am looking forward to a healthier, thinner us in the upcoming months! Keep going strong Danielle and Jana!

As I get older I realize how important it is for us to get our appetites under control as well as our blood sugar and weight. I think I am doing so terrible because I have gained so much weight and I have no energy. I don't have the strength to fight the carb monster inside of me. I give up so easily. I will make sure I keep tuning in here to get a BIG dose of motivation from all of you.

I am currently around 230 pounds. My highest weight was 252. I would love to get to about 150. That's over 100 pounds that I need to lose. Yikes!

Today I am going to start drinking more water and I am going to get out sometime today and take a walk. I haven't exercise in ages. I am also going to make better food choices and eat low carb.

Have a great day, everyone!

Cheryl
KirbyTris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:48 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Good morning ladies - it is great to have a group of ladies to chime in with. I also am a lover of summer but so many of them have been filled with disappointment because I couldn't wear clothes i wanted to, turned down invites outdoors because I knew from my weight i would be so uncomfortable in the heat with the extra control stuff on trying to look nice. blah blah blah. I don't want to have that experience again. We all seem like over the years we have embraced lowcarb so just needed that mental boost to move forward. I have to say I have had perfect lowcarb days since reading the article and taking it to heart. Again thank you so much for sharing this gem with us. For example I went to Mexican Juan Julios restaurant yesterday for friends birthday celebration. I had scanned the menu before going and made my selection. I usually waiver by the time I get to the restaurant but I didn't even think of doing that. I ordered Carne Asada skirt steak with guacamole and pico di ga(sP) on the plate told waiter to replace rice and beans with lettuce and tomato. He did the bring the lettuce n tomato but others as well. I did not touch it, taste, or smell what I wasn't going to eat. The greatest miracle of it all I didn't eat a single tortilla or the salsa. Those ladies went thru about 4 baskets of tortilla chips and don't let me get started on the margaritas - mine was water with lemon and a package of splenda. Sorry for the long winded message but when I was able to conquer that situation, I knew I was in a different mindset. let's do this ladies and encourage each other.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:02 AM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Lizzie~ tough stuff regarding body image. As women we are always so hard on ourselves. For me, I had a mother who actually created this for me-- my whole life I heard how "fat" I was, how I was not like my friends, blah blah blah....You believe it after awhile, yanno? Looking through old pics through childhood & my teen years and I can logically see that I was not fat whatsoever...I was maybe 10 lbs heavier than my girlfriends, if that? Over the years maybe as much as 20lbs heavier, but by no means gargantuan like I had been led to believe. That's a tough pill to swallow and the anger I felt over that for a time was hard to let go of.. but in the end, what I had to realize was that it only hurts me by hanging on to it. Might as well let it go, know the real truth and keep moving. Can't change the past, right?

I'm trying to practice the idea that I am giving myself self-love through affirmations and positive thinking....I mean, NEVER in a million years would I tell either of my girls or my best girlfriend any of the horrible things I've told myself...that has got to stop..it wouldn't be acceptable for them, so why is ok to do it to myself?

Cheryl~ we've come from about the same starting point and are sitting pretty close currently.... I am shooting for about 140 but that may all change once I get close.....just the idea of actually getting below 200 would be amazing right now! I have given up on myself so many times I've lost count---this time around there has been no allowance for it--- I may stumble, have a setback, but there is no giving up completely. As long as we always strive for progress and keep looking forward, we are much farther ahead in this! You can do this!

monees~ you did fantastic!! Always remember why you started, why you want this and I think you will do amazing things for yourself. It's all in the attitude

Jana~ how'd the rest of the day go for you? I know you killed it!!

-----------------------

Well, I'm headed out for the day...alittle shopping and some quality time with the hubbs...poor man works way too much. I've done my workout for the day and have almost half a gallon of water down... I slept like a rock last night after such a productive day yesterday--felt really awesome to wake up today ready to conquer again. For the first time in a VERY long time I am actually excited about exercise and what it could mean to me in terms of major transformation!

Have a wonderful day, ladies. Be good to you!
Old 04-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Dessertgurl - thanks for your words of encouragement. Enjoy your time with your hubby. Also, I do look forward to marrying again and being confident in enjoying my spouse.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Monees!! What an awesome job you did at the restaurant!! I did the same thing thursday night..extra toppings, hold the rice, beans and tortillas. It feels so good, doesn't it!??

Danielle.. I love what you say about "I mean, NEVER in a million years would I tell either of my girls or my best girlfriend any of the horrible things I've told myself...that has got to stop..it wouldn't be acceptable for them, so why is ok to do it to myself? "
Funny, I have told my girls this too, but my internal dialogue is horrible! I am sorry you had that conflict with your MOm, I try to think our parents did the best they could, and the things that didn't go so well are lessons on how NOT to parent our kids.

Cheryl.. keep doing what you are doing.. any improvement is in the right direction!!

Jana.. how's it going?? Hope everyone had a great day!!

I really love the positivity that you ladies have.. it helps me so much!! <3
Old 04-07-2014, 04:12 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Hey yall!! I had a busy busy day yesterday! It was my niece's 6th birthday, they had it at a chinese restaurant. I was so scared, starting over and already facing a eating out situation...eeeekkk! BUT I did it! They had a grill at the buffet where you can pick whatever fresh food you like and give it to them and they cook it right there where you can see them looking it. No sauce, just some oil. The best part about it is...I'm a daily weigher...I was down 1.5 this morning, I expected a little increase due to salt that could've crept in from a few other meaty things I had, but nope!

Little wins count EVERYDAY! We have to do this day by day, one step at a time and we can do it!!! I'm glad I have yall and this thread!! :HUGS:
Old 04-07-2014, 07:24 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Great job everyone - I made my own coffee this morning hwc and davinci hazelnut flavoring. cooked bacon eggs on lowcarb 3g tortilla and brought lunch. This is big for me because I am not taking any chances of getting out of control by going to buy anything. Goal this week is to have a totally clean eating week, add more water, and start getting in some cardio. I love walking at the track outdoors but the weather has been so iffy in Chicago hopefully we are finally turning to corner to spring and I can get back outdoor. You all have a great week.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Everyone is doing so well!!!

Jana~ you did awesome!!!! Good for you, girly!

monees~ food prep is a guaranteed way to meet your goals. I food prep 2x a week so I always have food available to grab...I've had to learn the hard way that eating on the fly does not work for me I just picked up exercise again after a super long time and I am loving all the energy I am getting from it!

Lizzie~ Yeah, childhood was hard, but convinced that it made me as strong as I am for a reason.. I've let it go and broken the cycle with my own kids and that's all I really care about. My kids are amazing

Me~ I'm on my 3rd day of exercise and I could not be more proud of myself. I found myself looking forward to it. This is huge for me because I am the one weirdo who HATES to sweat I mean, once I'm in it I'm ok with it all because I start to feel really good, but when I sit and think about the prospect of getting all hot & icky, meh.. However, the huge energy surge I'm getting has been such a Godsend for me...it sure beats feeling like I wanted to go to bed by 3pm.
Food is going well too, and I never have issues with my 1 gallon of water per day...I'm proud that I've been able to keep that up despite other weight loss challenges
I prolly shouldn't have weighed today I'm up a couple pounds and I'm guessing it's from muscle soreness... I'm sore from my head to my toes... I sure hope that number goes down in the next few days!!!

Have a great day, ladies!
Old 04-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Good for you Danielle!! Exercise is my next hill...before on low carb I became a 6 mile a day runner. I was training to go to boot camp then but I'd like to get back there because it made me feel so wonderful! It was hard work getting up to 6 miles but I pushed myself because I wanted the weight loss benefits and the stamina for boot camp.

As far as water goes, I dont have an issue with it but I could drink more than I do now. I'd love to drink a gallon a day again, it made me skin and hair so healthy.

I love with WOE, i really don't know what makes me backslide every time but I'm doing good this time!! Thank you all for the support!!
Old 04-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

I just couldn't be happier for all of us!!

Monees, my cousin lives in Chicago.. omgoodness have yo guys had a tough winter!! Nice job taking your lunch. I took string cheese and a lc shake to the party and stayed away from the goodies.

Jana.. awesome job at the buffet!! I will try that next time hubs wants to go there! Thanks!!

Danielle.. I just read that muscles will retain water to repair themselves.. so the bump is ok. It's a huge thing to have exercised for 3 days.. what kind are yo doing??

Have a great day ladies..
Old 04-08-2014, 06:14 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WickedStitch
Start Date: Restart ever on going
Hey all...count me in too!

I have to recommit. I've been hovering around 210 for months now and I am tired of it. In January, right before my birthday I was almost under 200 at 203 I could almost smell ONE-derland. Then we got news of another deployment and began dining out. Too much dining out, but we enjoyed it since it gave us time to enjoy eachothers company. Not me in the kitchen cooking and cleaning while he watched tv, not having to eat in front of the tv and then me back to the kitchen to clean everything up. So by dining out we had family time, and I got a break from kitchen duties. The thing with dining out, even while trying to maintain low carb is that you never REALLY know what they are adding to the food sugar or sauce wise.

Quite frankly, I think I did pretty well maintaining about 210 for 4 months and not gaining back the whole 30 some odd I have lost! However, now it's time to start losing again. It's just me and my teenage son at home now, with Rambo off doing his thing and our daughter away at college. Boy Wonder play baseball so there are many nights I am at the ballfield. I am pretty good with staying away from the concessions, even if I do get super hungry it's usually a hotdog with mustard and toss the bun. Other times it's all about the sunflower seeds!

I started a keto jumpstart yesterday. Planned the menu and everything! I was just under 20 carbs for the day and watered myself like a seedling. I did break down and have one diet coke as a monster headache was coming on. No doubt from the Diet Coke withdrawal! wicked cycle.

Still on track today with the menu food in the house, there is no reason to get lazy and dine out or go carb overloading.

WickedStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:47 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Good morning all and welcome Wickedstitch. Yes that's why we are all here to re-commit and help each other thru a restart using all the tools of first and foremost only you have control over what you eat and all other surrounding factors have to be worked into the goal you're trying to reach. It's great that you maintained durng the 4 months and that shows that you have a good grasp on how to maintain which is a lesson in itself. But now back to losing and reaching the goal you set for yourself. This is a great group of motivating ladies here and all are very supportive in challenging each other to stay the course. So again - Welcome.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:53 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Clean days behind me and ahead

Yesterday was another clean eating day - need to increase water and still get some physical activity in. My weight is the same but I know a lot of it is just from my body re-adjusting back to lowcarb and I expect it to swoosh any day now. So the key is to not assume that it's not working but to understand the way the body works and to give it a chance to do its thing in releasing the fat stores. I had a delicious burger with grilled onions w/mayo on a bed of lettuce leaves and a piece of swiss cheese. Now how satisfying is that for a way of eating. As long as I can use lowcarb to reach my weight goals and eat luxurious meals - I think I'm in this for the long haul. What are some of your favorite meals on this WOE?
Old 04-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
I started over in November after a 70 pound re-gain. So I will join you, if that's OK. I have so far re-lost 47 pounds, with 23 to go.

The hardest part of weight loss (for me) is definitely maintenance. After having re-gained five or six times over the past twenty years, I think have finally figured out that when we get to maintenance, we need to stay in healthy eating mode, stick together, and stay accountable to STAY in maintenance. I re-gain when I stop posting, stop weighing in, stop measuring my food, and stop recording my food/exercise in my diet/fitness software.

nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:11 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

We got this ladies!!!

@Wicked I know deployments are rough, I was in military myself for a bit, got deployed a few times. I'm marrying back into the military in December. I'm praying for you and your family. We can definitely keep you motivated to get into onederland!! You can do this!

@Nikki Impressive loss of 47 pounds already! Very motivational for this group of gals! Keep it up!

As for myself, day 6....still going strong!! I'm proud of myself! Yesterday I made some chicken livers to die for. I "breaded" them with a pork rind and seasoning mixture and baked them. It tasted just like I had deep fried them. Amazing! I know some people don't like chicken liver but I've always loved them. Anyway, we are going out of town today and another eating out challenge faces me. I got this though!

Have a good day y'all!
Old 04-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

Running in real quick...I'm so far behind today!

Day 4 of exercise and I'm starting to feel really great! Lizzie, I'm doing Jillian Michael's Body Revolution...she is no joke, that girl.. Oh, and I figured out what the "bump" on the scale was from....TOM showed up WAY early...getting old and all this perimenopause stuff sucks rocks At least I know that it is indeed more than likely water and not anything worse than that. Phew!

I think I'm the only one here who isn't doing straight low carb program.. I'm following Chris Powell's carb cycling program... LOVE IT. Anywho, tonight he & Heidi are kicking off a program here that follows the same philosophies he talks about and I'm so excited to be able to see them in person! Great timing to really push me into major motivation mode!

Ok, gotta run. BBL to do personals!! Make today a great day, ladies!
Old 04-08-2014, 11:17 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

You're doing great Danielle! Keep it up! I think I'm going to start on some exercise next week now that my body is getting used to burning fat. You've motivated me