Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Iolani
Stats: 205/182/125 5'2"
WOE: Low Carb/Gluten Free
Start Date: 4.19.14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocgirl View Post
hey all,

After een week being up, finally coming down again and at 244 this morning. 45 days logging now and counting. In these 45 days I have noticed at lot of stalls, going up and then dropping fast. Weird...but keeping pushing and pushing it.

I can relate to all the frustration with being around this for the second time, or more. The first time when I did Atkins it went superfast and smooth. Now not so much, what makes it frustrating.

I am 49 now and started thinking that maybe my thyroid is acting up? I need to wait for my healthinsurance to kick in, but I think I am going to ask the doc if he can test me on this, however not sure if I want to take medication for it, as I would like to stay out taking pills for this and that, I have trust issues with that.

I did checked and tried JUDD but since I have a addiction to carbs, it might not the way to go for me, I have busted myself being extremely hooked on carbs on the UP day's and it makes it hard for me to juggle it period. It is just better for me to be totally restricted from carbs.

Thanks for letting me join this group!!
45 days is AWESOME! You are making great progress!
Iolani is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chocgirl
Stats: 266/239/190
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: March 2014
Awww Thank you!!!! Right now I am just happy if I can hit somewhere beween 210 and 216 this year. I can scratch my goal for June, I think lol
chocgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: easwann
Stats: was 242lbs am 196 lbs
WOE: Peace, meat, water, and eggs!
Start Date: learning everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindysf View Post
Jana, hang in there! You have a lot going on and will surely have to be kind and patient with yourself. Sending love and peace your way.

Also want to welcome in the new folks. Nice to have even more people to share with!

Meanwhile I am finding that since re-restarting (ha!) Induction more than a week ago, I am the same weight, which is so different of course from my experience twelve (twelve? oh my, yes it has been that long) years ago the first time. The ketone strips are consistently positive, so I know I'm in ketosis, so I'm figuring all is well and I just need to be patient. Has anyone else had this experience? I'm thinking it probably has to do in my case with (a) the fact that I didn't have much in the way of water weight to begin with because my diet hasn't been very carby in a long time, and (b) I'm 40 now and have had two children.
Have you read this thread and it's 2nd part? I felt just like you but this explained everything and gave me the patience to understand why and keep at it. Starting over?? Read this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iolani View Post
Hi iakaren.

Geez, can I relate to your situation. After years of FIGHTING myself over food choices and being overweight, I'm pretty sure that turmoil having a sense of peace about eating - knowing you have a path to health and weight loss that you can live with and not be in constant turmoil about - is more debilitating than being over weight and feeling bad.

I have a food addiction, a lot of baggage about eating, and have lost and re-gained so many times - I'm in no position to make a suggestion, but if what you really need is a flexible plan, I'd explore JUDDD. The plan makes sense to me, and apparently works quiet well, but I have a gluten intolerance, and type 2 diabetes, so I couldn't eat whatever I wanted on the up day with out getting cravy, spiking my blood sugar, and getting the nasty effects from gluten.

So far, eliminating gluten along with restricting carbs is the most freeing thing I've tried. I've not been doing it long enough to really measure the effectiveness, but others have had great results and I did lose 6 pounds in 12 days. There are a number of gluten free plans out there. I read "Wheat Belly" and found it convincing.

I think you are right, though, this is a head game. It's a very spiritual thing for me. Seeking balance, letting go of the negativity, relaxing into a plan and having faith...all of that seems as important as what you eat.

Best of luck to you...
Iolani, you could have been writing about me. This was so well worded...I think I'll hshare it if you don't mind.

Jana, I am soo very sorry you are having such a rough time! I am sending peaceful and healing thoughts to you!! Hang strong and work on getting better..

I must apologize for not being very active lately. Had a case of the blues, but I am shaking them off. Hubs is taking me away for our anniversary this weekend, so I should be right as rain when I get back. Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Last edited by easwann; 05-07-2014 at 05:56 PM..
easwann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:12 AM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WickedStitch
Start Date: Restart ever on going
Quote:

I am 49 now and started thinking that maybe my thyroid is acting up? I need to wait for my healthinsurance to kick in, but I think I am going to ask the doc if he can test me on this, however not sure if I want to take medication for it, as I would like to stay out taking pills for this and that, I have trust issues with that.
First off...!!!

I am 43 as of January and have thyroid issues for at least the past 8 years. However, the tests that the Drs do always show that nothing is wrong. At least for what they are testing for. They only test for 2 things (tsh and t4) leaving many people undiagnosed or misdiagnosed. Like me.

However, symptomatically I am a walking case of hypothyroidism. There are many signs that can give it away. (I have ALL of these)

Dry brittle nails and or hair
Dry skin
Feeling tired and super low energy
Constipation
Memory fog
Cold hands and feet
Tingling in fingers
Fatigue
Weight gain
Muscle and joint pain
Thinning of the outer third of your eyebrows

Take a look at undergroundwelllness. They have a whole series on it. There is a video with a Dr discussing thyroid issues etc and it's free until May 17th, you might want to check it out thethyroidsessions Here is where they explain that there are also some things that you can do to try to get things back to normal without having to resort to having to take prescription pills for the rest of your life. She also explains the tests that you should ask your Dr for, besides just testing your TSH and T4 levels.

Like you I am not 'all in' when a Dr says here take this! Um, no thank you. More times than not the side effects are worse than what the pills have been prescribed for. (this is just my personal opinion)

WickedStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:20 AM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HomeWorkerMT
Stats: 181/179.4/140. (55 yo)
WOE: WOE - My own way.
Start Date: Sept. 28, 2012
May I join in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakaren View Post

I am struggling here. I know I have to commit to something to lose weight, but I don't want to fail again......I want at least 10 lbs GONE!!!! But I cannot make up my mind what "plan" I think I can honestly stick to. And I am so sick and tired of trying on way of eating, and then switching when my life doesn't conform. I know it is ultimately ME making the decision of what goes in my mouth, but feel like I have to have a plan........be it Atkins, LC, CAD, IF, ......... all have worked for me short-term, but nothing has been something I stayed with.......

Like I said, just struggling here with the mental side....
I have been lurking for a while. May I join in?

My goodness, iakaren, you are "singing my song"! I am SO frustrated! After a gradual gain over the past 5 or 6 years of 20 pounds, medication for chronic migraines quickly added another 20 pounds in 2013. I finally convinced my neurologist that it was the medication causing the gain. When he took me off the medication in March of this year, the weight gain stopped right away. But now, I weigh more than I ever have in my life (not pregnant!) and have 40 pounds to lose! I am SO depressed and don't know which way to turn. I have bought so many "diet" books. One says low carb, another says high carb, and then various types of IF. I just can't seem to get the momentum to actually stick with a plan longer than a week.

I am hoping to find inspiration and support on this thread.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedStitch View Post

Dry brittle nails and or hair
Dry skin
Feeling tired and super low energy
Constipation
Memory fog
Cold hands and feet
Tingling in fingers
Fatigue
Weight gain
Muscle and joint pain
Thinning of the outer third of your eyebrows

Got all that, :-) oh well, I am not too worried about it, but I do not like the fact that I am working my behind off and I am not really seeing the results that fast, I have to work 3x harder I feel. The fatigue is driving me nuts, just NO energy at all and I have a feeling its killing me laughig out loud!!

I try to work through the joint and muscle pain, Monday I start again with my workout regimen and the gym. Gave myself a week off after having massive pains in my forearm muscle. It is still tender..

I am determined though to get this weight off me
Last goal 170 July 2015
Old 05-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #127
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWorkerMT View Post
I have been lurking for a while. May I join in?

My goodness, iakaren, you are "singing my song"! I am SO frustrated! After a gradual gain over the past 5 or 6 years of 20 pounds, medication for chronic migraines quickly added another 20 pounds in 2013. I finally convinced my neurologist that it was the medication causing the gain. When he took me off the medication in March of this year, the weight gain stopped right away. But now, I weigh more than I ever have in my life (not pregnant!) and have 40 pounds to lose! I am SO depressed and don't know which way to turn. I have bought so many "diet" books. One says low carb, another says high carb, and then various types of IF. I just can't seem to get the momentum to actually stick with a plan longer than a week.

I am hoping to find inspiration and support on this thread.
Willing to sing with you, if we can just get the scale going down!!!

I did well for 2 days, and then have GS 2 yr old for last 4 days.....that messes up my routines and meals.....
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:11 AM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HomeWorkerMT
Stats: 181/179.4/140. (55 yo)
WOE: WOE - My own way.
Start Date: Sept. 28, 2012
HomeWorkerMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Got all that, :-) oh well, I am not too worried about it, but I do not like the fact that I am working my behind off and I am not really seeing the results that fast, I have to work 3x harder I feel. The fatigue is driving me nuts, just NO energy at all and I have a feeling its killing me laughig out loud!!

I try to work through the joint and muscle pain, Monday I start again with my workout regimen and the gym. Gave myself a week off after having massive pains in my forearm muscle. It is still tender..

I am determined though to get this weight off me
It's hard to get motivated when you're fatigued. Also it really stinks to have to work 5x harder to see minimal results. I'm living the dream with ya!
Old 05-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easwann View Post

Iolani, you could have been writing about me. This was so well worded...I think I'll hshare it if you don't mind.
Thank you, my friend. Wishing you faded blues and ever deepening food peace and freedom.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:08 AM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Sending love, prayers, and good thoughts to all you moms out there today. Special prayers to all of you whose moms are no longer with you.

I've have some wins I'd like to share. I hope they encourage you. First, I made it to the 21 day mark. That's a huge deal to me because when I first started, I truly could not imagine ONE day. God is good.

Secondly, I weathered a really big emotional storm far FAR better than I might have in the past. Not just with little effect to my eating choices, but also in regard to how quickly I was able to make peace with a with a very difficult situation. After listening to Dr. Perlmutter's "Grain Brain" ideas, I'm wondering if the change in my eating habits have actually helped my capacity to cope emotionally.

Finally, after only 3 weeks of change, I'm astounded at the physical improvement. Yesterday I did an hour of cardio at the gym in the afternoon and then played tennis just a few hours later. The big tell tale was how I felt during tennis. The difference was nothing short of astounding. Just a few weeks ago, I was having pain in my wrist, elbow, and lower back and had to stop after nearly every rally to recover. I could only play for about 15 or so without having to try to stretch my back out and rest. The fatigue I felt during play made me dread it, rather than enjoy it.

Yesterday I had energy galore, no aches, and the majority of the time I was hitting solid ground strokes, not just pinging the ball back over the net. I was tired after 40 minutes of play, and my ability to cover the court aggressively is still quite modest. BUT I FELT GREAT. Yes, I've lost a few pounds, but no way can that explain the difference. Also, I've not exercised any more these last 3 weeks than I normally do, so that's not it. It has got to be what I've been eating (or not eating)!

Keep on keeping on, folks. We CAN feel better - emotionally and physically.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:08 AM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: monees lc
Stats: 187./167.5/145
WOE: atkins
Start Date: March 2008
Good morning Ladies. Hope everyone had a good weekend and successful eating plans if you celebrated Mom's day. I had a few minimal treats but back on track this morning and feeling great.
monees lc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Good Afternoon! I am back from my trip. I wish I could say I came back unscathed, but I had a wonderful time and am in a good frame of mind to get back with it. I do now wish I had just kept on plan. A. I would have had a longer count of clean days and B. I would feel better instead of bloated. This will be my memory for the next weekend away. I was even prepared with o/p snacks and still derailed a few times.

Here's to a wonderful week! We have 2 weeks to stay strong and feel really good on Memorial day. Let's start a menu tht is induction friendly.

Deviled eggs, of course
Burgers w/ good fixin's
grilled portabellas
cucumber or green bean salad

Any other must haves?
Old 05-12-2014, 08:43 PM   #134
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Stephie51
Stats: 178/171/169 first goal
WOE: LOW CARB MY WAY UNER 20
Start Date: April 2014
Hi Chocgirl. I'm in Folsom Cali. I agree with u with the JUDD. I wouldn't be able to do it. I'm an all or nothing kinda person. That works out better for me too.
Stephie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:13 AM   #135
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Willing to sing with you, if we can just get the scale going down!!!

I did well for 2 days, and then have GS 2 yr old for last 4 days.....that messes up my routines and meals.....
Down 2.5, so hoping I can tie my shoes without holding my breath soon!!!
Old 05-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thank you, my friend. Wishing you faded blues and ever deepening food peace and freedom.
Thank you.. that means a lot to me! <3
Quote:
Down 2.5, so hoping I can tie my shoes without holding my breath soon!!!
Nice job on the loss!
Quote:
Sending love, prayers, and good thoughts to all you moms out there today. Special prayers to all of you whose moms are no longer with you.

I've have some wins I'd like to share. I hope they encourage you. First, I made it to the 21 day mark. That's a huge deal to me because when I first started, I truly could not imagine ONE day. God is good.

Secondly, I weathered a really big emotional storm far FAR better than I might have in the past. Not just with little effect to my eating choices, but also in regard to how quickly I was able to make peace with a with a very difficult situation. After listening to Dr. Perlmutter's "Grain Brain" ideas, I'm wondering if the change in my eating habits have actually helped my capacity to cope emotionally.

Finally, after only 3 weeks of change, I'm astounded at the physical improvement. Yesterday I did an hour of cardio at the gym in the afternoon and then played tennis just a few hours later. The big tell tale was how I felt during tennis. The difference was nothing short of astounding. Just a few weeks ago, I was having pain in my wrist, elbow, and lower back and had to stop after nearly every rally to recover. I could only play for about 15 or so without having to try to stretch my back out and rest. The fatigue I felt during play made me dread it, rather than enjoy it.

Yesterday I had energy galore, no aches, and the majority of the time I was hitting solid ground strokes, not just pinging the ball back over the net. I was tired after 40 minutes of play, and my ability to cover the court aggressively is still quite modest. BUT I FELT GREAT. Yes, I've lost a few pounds, but no way can that explain the difference. Also, I've not exercised any more these last 3 weeks than I normally do, so that's not it. It has got to be what I've been eating (or not eating)!

Keep on keeping on, folks. We CAN feel better - emotionally and physically.
I am glad you are seeing so many improvements! I have physical limitations, so I understand how horrible it is when something that was once a joy becomes a burden.

I am up 5 lbs from my weekend excursion. Not going to let it derail me.. but I have to own it and chart it and see why on the 58th day of my restart I allowed myself not just a meal, but an entire weekend of junk. None of my filters kicked in. The only thing I can think of is it's been so many years since we have had a vacation that I also took a vacation from the constant monitoring of my food. It was NOT worth it and I hope this will become a negative memory for our next trip. Sorry to disappoint... noones more disappointed than me!

Well.. back to it! Have a great Tuesday ladies!
Old 05-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Sometimes, it's just nice to eat what you want and not what's on plan. It's not the end of the world. Be gentle with yourself.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:01 PM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easwann View Post
I am glad you are seeing so many improvements! I have physical limitations, so I understand how horrible it is when something that was once a joy becomes a burden.
Thank you!

I hate to hear of your limitations. Of course we all have them, but you know what I mean. I'll tell you though. One of my big inspirations for starting over was because I realized how fortunate I am to have a choice to feel better and to greatly reduce my physical and emotional limitations. I was walking my dog and pondering how many people there are in this world who would give anything to feel better and be able to do more, but they just can't. And here I was, fully aware that eating differently and exercising more consistently would make me feel so much better, but I was just UNWILLING to do anything about it.

It just seemed criminal not to TRY to heal myself when so many people don't have that option, at least for some aspects of their health.

Also, please realize that no matter how badly you go off plan, if you manage to dust yourself off and get back at it, you're anything but a disappointment, you're an inspiration.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:29 AM   #139
Big Yapper!!!!

Did try JUDDD for 2 days.....the scale went down. However, I have not been successful in getting into an every-other-day routine...

But I have been watching calories more, and carbs a little less. Most of my carbs coming from vegetables........have to quit buying fudge graham cookies, or learn to forget they are in freezer for DH and GS....

Seeing what adjustments might work for me.

Found out steamed carrots with stevia is not too bad
Old 05-14-2014, 05:31 AM   #140
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Thank you!

I hate to hear of your limitations. Of course we all have them, but you know what I mean. I'll tell you though. One of my big inspirations for starting over was because I realized how fortunate I am to have a choice to feel better and to greatly reduce my physical and emotional limitations. I was walking my dog and pondering how many people there are in this world who would give anything to feel better and be able to do more, but they just can't. And here I was, fully aware that eating differently and exercising more consistently would make me feel so much better, but I was just UNWILLING to do anything about it.

It just seemed criminal not to TRY to heal myself when so many people don't have that option, at least for some aspects of their health.

Also, please realize that no matter how badly you go off plan, if you manage to dust yourself off and get back at it, you're anything but a disappointment, you're an inspiration.

Excellent post, and point!
I have horses that need ridden, and how many people wish they had that opportunity every day....
Old 05-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Excellent post, and point!
I have horses that need ridden, and how many people wish they had that opportunity every day....
Thank you!

And talk about a cool synchronicity...horses were the center of my life for 25 years or so, but I had to make some tough choices after the birth of my daughter. I was working 60 hours a week, and my husband was working even longer hours and traveling several days/nights per week, leaving us very little time to parent, so we decided to give up the 2 income lifestyle. I'm so glad I got to be home with my daughter, she was/is a high needs child and she needed me there.

BUT, the horses had to go. We just couldn't afford the farm or the extra cost for them. It was one of the hardest decisions I've made.

So, hey, I'm one of those folks who wishes wishes wishes horses were a part of my life!

Love your avatar by the way. You should share some full size pics with us!
Old 05-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Did try JUDDD for 2 days.....the scale went down. However, I have not been successful in getting into an every-other-day routine...

But I have been watching calories more, and carbs a little less. Most of my carbs coming from vegetables........have to quit buying fudge graham cookies, or learn to forget they are in freezer for DH and GS....

Seeing what adjustments might work for me.

Found out steamed carrots with stevia is not too bad
Most of your carbs from veggies...wow...that is excellent! Keep us posted on how it goes wit JUDDD. My husband is thinking of giving it a whirl.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:43 AM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Hope everyone has a great day no matter what plan you're on!
So much rain here lately. As Iolani can attest, I'm sure you've had your fair share down there in BG.

iakaren: Whereabouts in IA are you? We have family in IA
Old 05-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephie51 View Post
Hi Chocgirl. I'm in Folsom Cali. I agree with u with the JUDD. I wouldn't be able to do it. I'm an all or nothing kinda person. That works out better for me too.
Hi there!!!

I added some berries to the mix this week, still dropping and still showing ketosis. Had to stop with the gym for two weeks because of a injury and went back on Tuesday. Yesterday and today are taking up with chores in the house ugh.

Not much to tell, other that I am determined to get this weight off. NSV went shopping for some tops and was able to fit some size 16 pants...big difference then the 20 and 22 size from a few months ago :-)
Old 05-15-2014, 10:24 AM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Hello all!

Yes, indeed, rain APLENTY her in BG!

Congrats on your downsizing chocgirl! That's a big difference!

Yesterday I was thinking about something I wanted to share.

This is day 26 for me, and I guess I had been thinking (lying to myself) that if I could just get in a groove for several weeks that it would be fairly easy to continue to make healthier choices, but I'm still battling with myself on a fairly frequent basis. I guess it's never going to be "easy" given how many years I've spent drowning in food addiction.

Accepting that the struggle will be ongoing is probably an important part of healing and moving forward, but talk about discouraging...

But then today I realized how GLORIOUS it is to have those windows of peace. Those times when you aren't fighting and you can just enjoy the feeling of not being RULED by something that has the potential to make you so miserable and physically ill. And even better is enjoying the idea that I'm actually able to help those I love rather than just focusing on myself and subjecting them to my misery and illness.

Maybe being grateful for that and realizing that even though it doesn't get EASY, it gets EASIER...maybe that will be enough.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #146
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Thank you!

And talk about a cool synchronicity...horses were the center of my life for 25 years or so, but I had to make some tough choices after the birth of my daughter. I was working 60 hours a week, and my husband was working even longer hours and traveling several days/nights per week, leaving us very little time to parent, so we decided to give up the 2 income lifestyle. I'm so glad I got to be home with my daughter, she was/is a high needs child and she needed me there.

BUT, the horses had to go. We just couldn't afford the farm or the extra cost for them. It was one of the hardest decisions I've made.

So, hey, I'm one of those folks who wishes wishes wishes horses were a part of my life!

Love your avatar by the way. You should share some full size pics with us!
Click on my name under my avatar, and that gets you to a couple more pictures. And somewhere I have some photos in a gallery, but will have to go fishing for how to get there.

Love my horses....
Old 05-16-2014, 07:33 PM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedStitch View Post
Sometimes, it's just nice to eat what you want and not what's on plan. It's not the end of the world. Be gentle with yourself.
That is so exactly it!
Quote:
Thank you!

Powerful post!! We are so very fortunate to have control of our lives, we should cherish it. Thanks for the sweet words. I am back and on plan..

Quote:
Hi there!!!

I added some berries to the mix this week, still dropping and still showing ketosis. Had to stop with the gym for two weeks because of a injury and went back on Tuesday. Yesterday and today are taking up with chores in the house ugh.

Not much to tell, other that I am determined to get this weight off. NSV went shopping for some tops and was able to fit some size 16 pants...big difference then the 20 and 22 size from a few months ago :-)
WooHoo!!!!
Old 05-16-2014, 07:46 PM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

I found this article especially interesting as I am guilty this week!
Why you fall off the low carb wagon By Scott Milford

In the various communities on the Internet that I visit from time to time, I often hear people ask, “What can I eat on this diet?” That always strikes me as an unusual question. Which is why my reply would be, “Whatever you choose to eat.”
People don’t realize how critical their intentions are no matter what diet plan they are following. Most people talk out of both sides of their mouths. That is, they say they want to eat low-carb, then they don’t. They say they want to lose weight, then they don’t. They say they want to exercise, then they don’t. (And FYI, I’m referring to the average person who doesn’t have any physical or mental-health challenges getting in the way.)
One thing I am convinced of is that your actions always reflect your true priorities. Talk is cheap, but actions tell the whole story because they are aligned with your truest intentions, whatever they really are.
If your weakness is drinking wine and your priority is drinking wine, you’ll drink wine. If you say you’re going to stop drinking wine, but your priority is drinking wine, you’ll drink wine.
If your weakness is eating bread and your unspoken intention is to continue eating bread, yet you say that you’re giving it up, you’ll eat bread.
If you say you’re going to stop eating doughnuts to follow a low-carb diet, but your inner thoughts are filled with regret and a sense of loss since you have to give up doughnuts against your will, you’ll eat the doughnuts…every…time.
Pick a food weakness. Maybe it’s pasta. Maybe it’s sweet creamer in your coffee. Maybe your weakness is potato chips, or cookies, or ice cream, or chocolate, or fruit, or cereal, maybe yogurt, or even convenience foods or comfort foods. No matter what your weakness is, your actions will reveal your true priorities no matter what you insist your intention is.
All it takes is an easy opportunity and an excuse, or rather a reason, and before you know it, you’ve slammed down 60 carbs or more in a single bite of the very food you said you were not going to eat.
The only way you can ever fall off the diet wagon and eat something that’s outside of your diet plan is if you left the option open in the first place. Let’s face it, you’ll always have a “reason” that you “had no choice”, or a “reason” for giving in, etc., etc…. We are incredibly skilled at justifying our behaviors that go against our plans or intentions. But the reason never more complicated than simply that you chose to.
When you start a diet and are not subconsciously committed to sticking to it, your subconscious mind will immediately begin helping you notice opportunities to “cheat” on your diet. Not only that, but it will begin nudging your behavior to the point of creating or inventing a “reason” to cheat.
“Well, I’m starting my diet on Monday. Wish me luck. I hope I can stay strong.” Prediction: FAIL!
“I don’t know if this way of eating is actually healthy, but I’m going to give it a try.” Prediction: FAIL!
“I just started eating low carb. But I don’t know exactly what to eat.” Prediction: FAIL!
“I’m having trouble losing weight and I’ve been eating low-carb 4 weeks now, and with the exception of a few minor slip-ups, I’ve done great. But why can’t I lose weight?” Prediction: FAIL!
“I don’t know if I can give up vanilla creamer in my coffee, but I’m going to see how long I can go.” Prediction: FAIL!
“I’m eating low-carb, now. But I refuse to give up my Sodas.” Prediction: FAIL!
“I’m going to try to get up early on Monday and go for a run.” Prediction: FAIL!
“I LOVE my morning porridge. I just can’t give that up. Otherwise, I’m eating low-carb.” Prediction: FAIL!
“Yeah, we’re going to the restaurant, but I don’t know what I can have there.” Prediction: FAIL!
“I’m still chewing gum, but I’m *trying* to keep my carbs under 20 grams.” Prediction: FAIL!
“It was a rough day, so I couldn’t help it. I had some wine last night. But I’m still eating low-carb.” Prediction: FAIL!
“Maybe just a bite.” Prediction: FAIL!
“Yes, I can eat that. I can eat whatever I want. But I CHOOSE not to have it.” Prediction: SUCCESS!
“Exercise sucks. I hate it. That’s why I’m not going to do it.” Prediction: SUCCESS!
The people who have the greatest success on any diet plan are the people whose true priorities and actions are aligned. When you make a diet or health promise to yourself–and let’s face it, you’re the only person that you should make your diet promises to–you know, the very moment the words pass over your lips, if you mean it or don’t. You internally know the strength and sincerity of your conviction.
The moment you make your promise, failure or success is infused into your deeper feelings, thereby setting your true priorities. If you haven’t yet seen the consistency that you committed to, you haven’t yet committed absolutely!
You know when you’re leaving room for backing out of your promise. Deny it all you want. Make excuses as much as you need to so you don’t feel that this applies to you. But you know who you are.
I love that saying. And it is fiercely true when you start a new diet. If you are in any way confused about what to eat, you’ll fail. If you haven’t already come up with a plan about how you’ll handle being in unexpected social situations where food is a central theme, you’ll fail. If you’re not being honest with yourself, right from the very moment you say, “I’m starting my diet”, you’ll fail.
As I said, your actions reveal your true priorities. The reason people fall off the low-carb or ketogenic diet wagon is because their true priorities are not in alignment with their words, as revealed by their behavior, or the frequent or occasional “slip-ups” or “cheating”. But sticking to a low-carb lifestyle or learning how to never “cheat” on your diet again is definitely achievable. It’s possible to stay on track and experience success instead of failure. And these things can happen when they are aligned with your true priorities.
So how can you fix this? First, stop lying about your choices. Stop making other people, conditions, or circumstances responsible for your food choices. Be honest with yourself. You will instantly increase your chances of success if you’re being completely and absolutely honest with yourself.
Next, make an honest assessment of where your resistance is. When you think about starting a low carb diet, think about the foods that are on the “Keep Your Dirty Little Hands Off This” list. These will basically be foods that are high in carbs. Can you live without them? If any foods come to mind that you are feeling sad about giving up, feel angry or nervous because you can’t eat them, make you question whether or not you actually want to start this way of eating, then you’ll know from where your trouble will come when you start eating low-carb.
Also, you’ll need to consider your regular social environments. I’m not talking only about the clubs you hang out at, I’m talking about home, work, ball fields, dance class and music lesson waiting areas, any place where you may find yourself socializing.
People sometimes put themselves in specific social environments on purpose, when they start a new diet, because the chances of “unexpectedly” finding themselves around people they enjoy and the foods they love (that are on the naughty list) might just cause them to (surprise-surprise!) eat something that they “shouldn’t have”, but “had no choice” because “that’s all they had” and “I was totally starving,” or “I had a headache from lack of food”, or “I was getting sick and needed to eat.”
Have a very clear plan before you get into these situations. Better still, don’t get into these situations, at least not until you know you can handle them. Nobody said this was going to be effortless.
And probably the most important key is education. The people who finally succeed do so because they become smart. They learn what to eat and what to avoid. They get involved in social communities.
Plus, in these groups, you learn so much, find great recipes to try, helpful tips, and hear wonderful success stories that will inspire you to reach new heights. This is part of what I like to call, Intelligent Dieting. It’s an evolution, brought on by education, inspiration, and experience. You can be a success story, but you have to get through the rough spots first.
When you feel uncomfortable eating a high amount of fat, such as in bacon, or beef, and worry about cholesterol issues when you eat eggs, education is the only thing that will put your mind at ease. When you realize that mainstream health advice is wrong and has been for years, and you begin to socialize with people who are exceptionally healthy and have been eating low-carb for years, a shift will begin to happen deep inside you. And this is an amazing feeling.
I know that deep down inside, you want greater health, to feel good at a proper weight, and to have energy and vitality. But you have to clear out the resistance and implant deep into your subconscious mind the loving and supportive thoughts that are the seeds of success. And you’ll also need a healthy dose of confidence to know that the way you are eating is healthy and safe. Education is the only way to do this, and it certainly helps you strengthen your resolve and align your intentions and actions. But you can definitely do this.
So don’t be so hard on yourself. Sure, you’ve got some work to do; some mental reprogramming. It’s going to take some time. But if you can begin by using even just one suggestion in this article, you will begin to feel more empowered and less resistant to eating a low-carb diet, and not fall of the wagon every other day. I believe in you.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:55 PM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Yesterday I was thinking about something I wanted to share.

This is day 26 for me, and I guess I had been thinking (lying to myself) that if I could just get in a groove for several weeks that it would be fairly easy to continue to make healthier choices, but I'm still battling with myself on a fairly frequent basis. I guess it's never going to be "easy" given how many years I've spent drowning in food addiction.

Accepting that the struggle will be ongoing is probably an important part of healing and moving forward, but talk about discouraging...

But then today I realized how GLORIOUS it is to have those windows of peace. Those times when you aren't fighting and you can just enjoy the feeling of not being RULED by something that has the potential to make you so miserable and physically ill. And even better is enjoying the idea that I'm actually able to help those I love rather than just focusing on myself and subjecting them to my misery and illness.

Maybe being grateful for that and realizing that even though it doesn't get EASY, it gets EASIER...maybe that will be enough.
Yes!
Old 05-19-2014, 07:52 AM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Click on my name under my avatar, and that gets you to a couple more pictures. And somewhere I have some photos in a gallery, but will have to go fishing for how to get there.

Love my horses....
Oh wow...they are so beautiful!