Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 09:26 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: monees lc
Stats: 187./156.5/145
WOE: atkins
Start Date: March 2008
Morning ladies- all is well. Just gearing up for a retirment luncheon at a Thai restaurant - already looked for meal of duck with chinese broccoli- so this is where the work is when you are out of your comfort zone - do you pre-plan your meal or just wing it when you get there. The saying if you fail to plan then you plan to fail. So um trying to be prepared before I go. I hope that once I do get to that consistent stall period that I will be so in love with this WOE that I just keep moving forward and not let the non movement of the scale send me back to my old ways.
monees lc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2014, 08:09 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: easwann
Stats: was 242lbs am 187lbs
WOE: Peace, meat, water, and eggs!
Start Date: learning everyday
Monees.. how did it go? I am happy to say that since March 21st I have had one off plan day. I am choosing to look at all the days I did so well, as opposed to one day I ate off plan. I have had a bump from it and Tom showing up, but not getting excited. I know it will work in time.

Trying to keep fed enough keeps being my trouble. I have a history of binge eating, so when I am not hungry, I enjoy it. Then I let myself get hungry and I eat on plan foods, just too many of them. I just have a really hard time eating when I am not hungry. So I have laid in some shakes and bars. I can manage to get those in.. so we will see if the boost in intake helps me.
Have a great Friday everyone!
Old 04-24-2014, 12:09 AM   #93
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mindysf
Stats: 180/166/140
WOE: organic, humane, sustainable Atkins/Paleo
Start Date: 2002
First I just want to state how grateful I am for this group. It is really comforting knowing that others are going through the same stuff I am. You all are inspiring to me just by your determination to take good care of yourselves! Awesome.

Meanwhile, since Easter I've been doing great. Drinking water like a crazy person, which feels good---I remember being thirsty like this years ago when I first went through induction. My mood is looking up lately too, boosted by energy. It's good to remember that I'm not just doing this to slim down, though that's a part of it. A short list of symptoms that I *know* from previous experience will be affected positively by this WOE:

low energy/stamina
crankiness
backache
puffiness in hands and feet

I can feel improvement in every area within a day of switching to induction-level, and likewise I can feel the swing in opposite direction quickly when I eat way off plan. It's a matter of really putting my mind to re-forming the *habit* of this WOE. Getting close! Thank you all for sharing your stories, too. So helpful to me.

"How we get there matters"
mindysf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:21 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WickedStitch
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart ever on going
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easily Amused View Post

Hey WickedStitch, how are you doing?
The numbers are still moving in the right direction so I am gooooood! After being stalled out for months this is a very welcomed change.
WickedStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:28 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindysf View Post
Meanwhile, since Easter I've been doing great. Drinking water like a crazy person, which feels good---I remember being thirsty like this years ago when I first went through induction. My mood is looking up lately too, boosted by energy. It's good to remember that I'm not just doing this to slim down, though that's a part of it. A short list of symptoms that I *know* from previous experience will be affected positively by this WOE:

low energy/stamina
crankiness
backache
puffiness in hands and feet

I can feel improvement in every area within a day of switching to induction-level, and likewise I can feel the swing in opposite direction quickly when I eat way off plan. It's a matter of really putting my mind to re-forming the *habit* of this WOE. Getting close! Thank you all for sharing your stories, too. So helpful to me.
It's strange when you realize it's more than just losing weight isn't it? I know it was for me. I posted about it on my 'Full Cup of Crazy' blog here~~> Full Cup of Crazy: Hanging On Another LC blogger WIfezilla's Way had a post about it as well.

For me not only was it cool that my clothes were fitting looser, but that the stairs creaked far less when I went up them! Hahahah It's the small things in life!

Keep up the good effort, it's working for you! You can do this!

Old 04-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: easwann
Stats: was 242lbs am 187lbs
WOE: Peace, meat, water, and eggs!
Start Date: learning everyday
Wickedstitch.. I love the small victories!!True words about realizing it is more than just weight loss. I had my planned meal on Easter.. but just one meal with regular food had every part of my body aching the next day!! I take some serious pain pills when needed and they weren't even touching it!! Feel so much better on this plan.
easwann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:19 PM   #97
Junior LCF Member

Checking in! Energy and mood positive, ketone test positive. Weight holding steady at 165, but if I just keep at it I know I'll see a drop before too long. Hope all's well with you all. Enjoy the weekend!
Old 04-26-2014, 07:42 AM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Everybody have a great weekend. Always a challenge but use number one tool - you control what goes in your mouth.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #99
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
This seems to be the group I really need to be with right now. Got down to 170 lbs when first started LC. Then Father In Law passed away, and I gained 10.......then expanded my business and gaines 10........ then put on another 5 last year, just for good measure.....

Weigh the most I have ever weighed..................Gotta get back down.........for my own sake.
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:55 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Welcome iakaren. Yes this is a great group and even in starting over we take the lessons we learned and use them to reach our goals but continue to learn from each other in the process. How everyone is doing well. Slow but steady pass is working for me just being mindful of all the changes outside of the scale.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chocgirl
Stats: 266/243.9/190
Start Date: March 2014
Hi there, would also like to join this group. I started Atkins in 2011 and lost about 60 lbs. Went through a separation and lost my mother. Gained it all back but determined to get back on track. Started again the end of march and have lost a good amount. Looking for support from people that have been there done that.
chocgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Iolani
Stats: 205/182/125 5'2"
WOE: Low Carb/Gluten Free
Start Date: 4.19.14
Hello folks! I've finally gotten the umph to try again and would like to join in here. I'm on day 10 of low carb/gluten elimination. My first goal is just to feel better, and so far so good! Stomach problems vanished within a few days of eliminating about 95% of glutens and joint pain is improved as well. Food cravings and energy levels are much improved as well. I hope feeling better will help me re-focus on weight loss and lose the food addiction as well. Down 4 pounds so far and excited about moving forward!
Iolani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #103
Senior LCF Member

to all the new Re-Starters! Glad to have you here!
Old 04-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #104
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakaren View Post
This seems to be the group I really need to be with right now. Got down to 170 lbs when first started LC. Then Father In Law passed away, and I gained 10.......then expanded my business and gaines 10........ then put on another 5 last year, just for good measure.....

Weigh the most I have ever weighed..................Gotta get back down.........for my own sake.
Just checking in, and with the groups here, I just decided to stick with eggs and sausage for supper.............no extras this evening.

At this point, go gain is progress. Waiting for the rain to quit........then get outside for more activity.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:05 PM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jazills
Stats: 241.8/241.8/145 - 5'2"
WOE: VLC/NK
Start Date: July, 7 2014
Hey everyone! i hope everyone is doing just fine! Me on the other hand...not so much. Maybe right now I feel like it's the end of the world. This time around right out of the gate I stalled on LC...like what is going on with my body? I pushed and pushed, even added in some exercise. Stalled like no other. Okay I wasn't giving up. My body maybe adjusting to this again. The first time I did this I lost weight like crazy and I was doing the same thing now as I was then. It didn't make sense.

So I started going over my symptoms..depression..massive weight gain..can't lose weight..tired all the time. Maybe I have something wrong with my thyroid. I didn't give it a second thought because I'm 25 years old, that doesn't happen to me right?

I went in for a year physical, checked from head to toe. What did they find? Hypothyroid. High liver enzymes. High cardiac protein. Lots of other stuff in my blood work that isn't pretty. I'm a blood work mess and I knew it and I felt it. So we are in the stage of trying to get all of this worked out. In the meantime...I've did cartwheels off the wagon and I feel terrible emotionally because I thought we had got my depression situation figured out and we hadn't. The medicine was making me worse and then this happens. PLUS in the middle of us trying to move. I know it'll be all okay, I'm just asking you all to keep me in your thoughts because I feel like the world is ending...bleh

Sorry so long
Old 04-30-2014, 09:18 PM   #106
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Stephie51
Stats: 178/171/169 first goal
WOE: LOW CARB MY WAY UNER 20
Start Date: April 2014
Oh my well at least u know the problem now and can concentrate on fixing it. Feel better. I'll be thinking of u. Thank goodness for our blood it tells us so much. God is awesome how he made us.
Stephie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:59 PM   #107
Junior LCF Member

I understand about the body image thing. I was down today cause I don't like my arms. Or thighs. Even thin people have cellulite. And even thin people have body image problems. So is thin the answer?
Will we be happy then? I'm 51 and body is changing. I'm not aging gracefully.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:57 AM   #108
Junior LCF Member

Jana, hang in there! You have a lot going on and will surely have to be kind and patient with yourself. Sending love and peace your way.

Also want to welcome in the new folks. Nice to have even more people to share with!

Meanwhile I am finding that since re-restarting (ha!) Induction more than a week ago, I am the same weight, which is so different of course from my experience twelve (twelve? oh my, yes it has been that long) years ago the first time. The ketone strips are consistently positive, so I know I'm in ketosis, so I'm figuring all is well and I just need to be patient. Has anyone else had this experience? I'm thinking it probably has to do in my case with (a) the fact that I didn't have much in the way of water weight to begin with because my diet hasn't been very carby in a long time, and (b) I'm 40 now and have had two children.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:15 AM   #109
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazills View Post
Hey everyone! i hope everyone is doing just fine! Me on the other hand...not so much. Maybe right now I feel like it's the end of the world. This time around right out of the gate I stalled on LC...like what is going on with my body? I pushed and pushed, even added in some exercise. Stalled like no other. Okay I wasn't giving up. My body maybe adjusting to this again. The first time I did this I lost weight like crazy and I was doing the same thing now as I was then. It didn't make sense.

So I started going over my symptoms..depression..massive weight gain..can't lose weight..tired all the time. Maybe I have something wrong with my thyroid. I didn't give it a second thought because I'm 25 years old, that doesn't happen to me right?

I went in for a year physical, checked from head to toe. What did they find? Hypothyroid. High liver enzymes. High cardiac protein. Lots of other stuff in my blood work that isn't pretty. I'm a blood work mess and I knew it and I felt it. So we are in the stage of trying to get all of this worked out. In the meantime...I've did cartwheels off the wagon and I feel terrible emotionally because I thought we had got my depression situation figured out and we hadn't. The medicine was making me worse and then this happens. PLUS in the middle of us trying to move. I know it'll be all okay, I'm just asking you all to keep me in your thoughts because I feel like the world is ending...bleh

Sorry so long
I've been reading a lot on those same symptoms, and and another thought would be extreme stress, which causes adrenal fatique. That is where I think I am at...........might check that out also, if you are interested.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Whew!!! What a week. This whole insurance claim thing for the roof is pretty stressing. Much of it is a hurry up and wait thing. I hate waiting! Finally heard back from the insurance co about our roof. The mortgage co finally did their part with the first check and now I'm hoping that the roofing co will be able to begin work shortly. I also plan on hiring someone to repair and paint at least 2 ceilings in the house and more than likely paint the ceilings in the stairways. I'm a clutz and it would just be bad, bad, bad me falling down the stairs with a roller full of paint. hahahahah

Hope everyone is doing well. What are your plans? It's DERBY here in Louisville, KY. We have never been and are not really into it. Neither Rambo nor myself are from here originally. Some of the locals go all out Derby Weekend, others leave town and get the heck out! Lots of tourists and celebrities fly in for the KY Derby.

For us, our son has been invited to Junior Weekend at a college. It's for prospective student athletes; we're pretty excited about it. It's a school that he likes and is hoping they offer him a spot at some point to play baseball for them. This weekend is for us to get to see and learn more about the campus, go to a couple baseball games and have a Q&A with admissions office and coaches. Here's hoping my eating habits don't get derailed!

Have a GREAT weekend everyone!
Old 05-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Hi guys.

Thank you all so much for sharing. It's just very important in so many ways. There can be a lot of anguish and chaotic emotion in this journey and it takes more than just a lower number on the scale to help us heal and find peace and self acceptance. "Starting over" is a special challenge, and for most of us, it's been something we've had to pull ourselves together to do many times.

Congrats, Jana, for taking control and getting a physical! Sending you hugs and well wishes for improvement!

Hi, Mindy. I love your attitude, being patient is so important and got the short end of the stick on that quality. I'm 53 and have definitely had the experience of weight loss being harder as I've gotten older. For me, cutting out the gluten has helped move things along faster.

Lizzie, your posts are really inspiring me. Thanks.

This is day 13 for me, guys. I've had a nasty cold virus, so the last few days have been tough. I went off plan Wednesday night and was pretty darn cravy Thursday evening, but am better now. Not been getting much exercise since I've been sick, but am looking forward to being able to get at it. I'm holding at 6 pounds down.

Hugs to all!
Old 05-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jazills
Stats: 241.8/241.8/145 - 5'2"
WOE: VLC/NK
Start Date: July, 7 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by iakaren View Post
I've been reading a lot on those same symptoms, and and another thought would be extreme stress, which causes adrenal fatique. That is where I think I am at...........might check that out also, if you are interested.
This is a good thought! I've been under a lot of stress and maybe I don't realize how it is affecting me. I'll look into that as I am working with my dr.
jazills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #113
Junior LCF Member

If u go to a homeopath dr u can have ur adrenals tested with a saliva test. It tests ur cortisol levels each time of day u spit. It should read highest to lowest as the day progresses I believe. We need more energy in the am and less at night to sleep.
Good luck.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:49 AM   #114
Big Yapper!!!!

Did little jogging last night and resistance bands when DH out towing.

Did pass on 2 fudge graham cookies, and settled for 6 M&Ms with Grandson......

I am struggling here. I know I have to commit to something to lose weight, but I don't want to fail again......I want at least 10 lbs GONE!!!! But I cannot make up my mind what "plan" I think I can honestly stick to. And I am so sick and tired of trying on way of eating, and then switching when my life doesn't conform. I know it is ultimately ME making the decision of what goes in my mouth, but feel like I have to have a plan........be it Atkins, LC, CAD, IF, ......... all have worked for me short-term, but nothing has been something I stayed with.......

Like I said, just struggling here with the mental side....

Open for suggestions or conversation. I need to kick myself, but not sure where to aim the kick......and indecision has never been a part of my life..... I always went forward, and dam* the consequences....
12/31 2006... 2007 ... 2008 ... 2009 ...2010 ...2011... 2012 ... 2013... 2014
.. ......177.0...174.0....174.0...183.0...184.0...183 .5...185.5....192.0

Goal of less than 170.0 by Year End 2014.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Hi iakaren.

Geez, can I relate to your situation. After years of FIGHTING myself over food choices and being overweight, I'm pretty sure that turmoil having a sense of peace about eating - knowing you have a path to health and weight loss that you can live with and not be in constant turmoil about - is more debilitating than being over weight and feeling bad.

I have a food addiction, a lot of baggage about eating, and have lost and re-gained so many times - I'm in no position to make a suggestion, but if what you really need is a flexible plan, I'd explore JUDDD. The plan makes sense to me, and apparently works quiet well, but I have a gluten intolerance, and type 2 diabetes, so I couldn't eat whatever I wanted on the up day with out getting cravy, spiking my blood sugar, and getting the nasty effects from gluten.

So far, eliminating gluten along with restricting carbs is the most freeing thing I've tried. I've not been doing it long enough to really measure the effectiveness, but others have had great results and I did lose 6 pounds in 12 days. There are a number of gluten free plans out there. I read "Wheat Belly" and found it convincing.

I think you are right, though, this is a head game. It's a very spiritual thing for me. Seeking balance, letting go of the negativity, relaxing into a plan and having faith...all of that seems as important as what you eat.

Best of luck to you...
Old 05-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Good morning Start Overs - hope everyone had a good weekend. This group is surely growing and therefore, the level of support and wisdom is greatly increasing as well. Stephi I am 51 as well and yes even though things are shifting or taking longer to re-shape I still believe with hard work in eating and physical fitness we can still get in shape and be proud of our efforts. So leave that number on the back burner and just work hard for what you want for your body and it's never too late.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #117
Junior LCF Member

Ugh I am totally depressed. Well I am up 2 lbs for 1 thing and I was ok with that since I had too many carbs and cheese etc and some wine this weekend. And salty food. I was ok with all that but then went shopping and looked in the mirror. I looked awful and came home and put on clothes to cover myself up.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #118
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iolani View Post
Hi iakaren.

Geez, can I relate to your situation. After years of FIGHTING myself over food choices and being overweight, I'm pretty sure that turmoil having a sense of peace about eating - knowing you have a path to health and weight loss that you can live with and not be in constant turmoil about - is more debilitating than being over weight and feeling bad.

I have a food addiction, a lot of baggage about eating, and have lost and re-gained so many times - I'm in no position to make a suggestion, but if what you really need is a flexible plan, I'd explore JUDDD. The plan makes sense to me, and apparently works quiet well, but I have a gluten intolerance, and type 2 diabetes, so I couldn't eat whatever I wanted on the up day with out getting cravy, spiking my blood sugar, and getting the nasty effects from gluten.

So far, eliminating gluten along with restricting carbs is the most freeing thing I've tried. I've not been doing it long enough to really measure the effectiveness, but others have had great results and I did lose 6 pounds in 12 days. There are a number of gluten free plans out there. I read "Wheat Belly" and found it convincing.

I think you are right, though, this is a head game. It's a very spiritual thing for me. Seeking balance, letting go of the negativity, relaxing into a plan and having faith...all of that seems as important as what you eat.

Best of luck to you...
Thanks.....I am researching JUDDD.

Good luck on the gluten-free. I have tried to cut back on gluten, but eliminating is not viable in my family/world. (but gluten doesn't seem to be a big culprit in my world) But cutting back on it is like cutting back on carbs......a good idea, I think.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:21 PM   #119
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephie51 View Post
Oh my well at least u know the problem now and can concentrate on fixing it. Feel better. I'll be thinking of u. Thank goodness for our blood it tells us so much. God is awesome how he made us.
Ditto
Old 05-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chocgirl
Stats: 266/243.9/190
Start Date: March 2014
hey all,

After een week being up, finally coming down again and at 244 this morning. 45 days logging now and counting. In these 45 days I have noticed at lot of stalls, going up and then dropping fast. Weird...but keeping pushing and pushing it.

I can relate to all the frustration with being around this for the second time, or more. The first time when I did Atkins it went superfast and smooth. Now not so much, what makes it frustrating.

I am 49 now and started thinking that maybe my thyroid is acting up? I need to wait for my healthinsurance to kick in, but I think I am going to ask the doc if he can test me on this, however not sure if I want to take medication for it, as I would like to stay out taking pills for this and that, I have trust issues with that.

I did checked and tried JUDD but since I have a addiction to carbs, it might not the way to go for me, I have busted myself being extremely hooked on carbs on the UP day's and it makes it hard for me to juggle it period. It is just better for me to be totally restricted from carbs.

Thanks for letting me join this group!!
chocgirl is offline   Reply With Quote